pain in scar tissue?

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
lorilu
Herd Member

pain in scar tissue?

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 am

ANyone have experience with this?
Background: About 15 year ago I broke my femur. They inserted a rod from below my knee, under my patella,and into the femur. I occasionally have had pain from the pins holding it near my knee, but not any problems with the fingertip-sized scar below my knee.
Last week I slipped and hyperextended that knee. No pain, thought nothing of it, no swelling. I did not fall down (caught myself on the washing machine....)
Well, this week I have had shooting pains in my knee, in and around that scar tissue, when riding. :o Experimenting around, it also hurts when I thump my foot on the ground. It is sharp enough that its hard to ignore. It sometimes makes me just stop riding.....

I have no idea how to deal with this. Nothing else I do causes any discomfort. I am using sore no more and a capsacin product in hopes it dulls the pain receptors.

suggestions?

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: pain in scar tissue?

Postby Flight » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:46 am

Bursitis??

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:37 pm

What about getting a follow-up X-ray. Hopefully you didn't do anything to the hardware but it can happen. My Dad actually bent the hardware they fused his back with. Not sure how he pulled that off.

Jingles for a quick resolution. I have gotten to the point (read older :P ) that I am so intolerant of pain. I would probably be running to the doctor.

Susan

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:25 pm

I doubt it. The rod is up in the femur, the pins holding it are on the medial side, pain is right at the insertion scar under my patella.
Currently trying a rub-on lidocain OTC cream....

I also discovered that if I really work at keeping my foot under my knee (it wants to float forward), things are better. SO, this might actually help my riding.
Go figure. Lessons are everywhere.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:24 am

hardware has a sneaky way of migrating, personally I would get it checked out

there are massage therapists / rolfers who specialize in breaking down adhesions and scarring.

typically the lesions are larger than I imagine your knee area involves however

it is possible your surgery site has produced a joint mouse that has floated into an unhappy position

LoisBatiste
Greenie

Postby LoisBatiste » Thu May 19, 2016 10:35 am

The cause of scar tissue pain is damage to a small skin nerve, or when a nerve is squeezed by the scar tissue. Call your doctor, he will suggest x ray, so that it will be clear what is the problem, which is causing you pain.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sat May 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Thank you!

Return to “Rider health and fitness”