Can we get a jump on April/May training goals thread?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Can we get a jump on April/May training goals thread?

Postby musical comedy » Fri May 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Rosie B wrote:Mountaineer - I hear you on the medium trots. I was watching a youtube video the other day in which Janet Foy Brown was helping someone with a 2nd level test. The horse was gorgeous and his medium trots were boring. And Janet said "when we as judges see a horse this nice and then see mediums that are boring, we are like "What the H3ll?"" So that has really inspired me, as well, to kick it up a notch. With horses like Bliss and Laddie, there's no reason to be getting 6s on lengthens or mediums!! We have no excuses there! lol. :)
I assume you are talking about the grey horse, Remington, that was ridden by Jessie Steiner (Betsy's daughter)?? I'm actually really surprised at Janet's comments about those mediums. I did not see anything 'boring' or lacking in power. I thought it was really nice, except for being a little low in the neck. The other horse I thought was too quick. I have personally seen some pretty lacking mediums (actually no difference except for running) and the rider is still getting 6.5 or more.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Whoa. Change of judge... Axel Steiner instead of Janet Foy. Fire, meet frying pan...

(Though in truth, I really love the opportunity to get an opinion from judges of this caliber.)

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 20, 2016 8:50 pm

Hey I have ridden for Axel Steiner, thought he was wonderful and spot on! Actually got a 9 for lengthening on my OTTB g under him, of course we also had some 4's! Not the most consistent of horses. Good luck mountaineer!!

BTW mountaineer what a lovely horse you have and what a gorgeous place to ride.

Good job Rosie, cannot believe you can still ride as much as you are for as far long as you are. I hurt to try and ride, pulled on something, so quit at 4 months.

My big guy for the most part is going well, biggest breakthrough is that his scope showed he is almost healed! Have to go back in 60 days to see if he is starting back up again but I have to say he was an angel for his treatments. 10 cc using a cat urinary catheter up the nose "throat spray" each side. No twitch and I could do it by myself!

Mare is going nicely when I get a chance to ride, may get a young rider in to help here just have so much going on right now. I am not having fun with my 15 yr old DS, ugh teenager, strong willed one at that.

Question for those of you who post videos, what camera do you use? I tried to get some in hand work with my big guy but the iPhone did not have enough storage. Would love to see about getting some sort of a camera that is easy to use. I am pretty technologically inept.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 20, 2016 11:25 pm

My revelation came from riding my older green mare. Having matured in a field, she was surprisingly stiff in one direction. I am guessing, set in her ways.

Her natural tendency when off balance is to rush. Counter bend and drop her inside shoulder, this is true when she is at liberty. Step wise training, teaching her to keep her shoulders up in front of her hind end, has made her far more beautiful. She has more self confidence too.

This rebalancing came about from teaching her to reach into contact, and then using the contact to show her how to balance up, balance our, work from back to front, adjust and she us now elastic and the difference is amazing and beautiful.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 pm

MC - no, it wasn't a grey horse. Here's the video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gWK_BHRKro

khall - I am questioning myself more about riding these days (20 weeks today!) I still feel great in the saddle and Bliss is SO FUN to ride, I don't want to stop, but I'm also finding I'm tiring more easily than usual, and I'm getting less comfortable with the risk, so the reality is I will need to stop soon. I was trying to tell myself I could keep riding him and just work at the walk, but I'm coming to grips with the fact that once I get on and do some walk work, I'll inevitably end up trotting and cantering, too. So we'll see. lol.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat May 21, 2016 12:05 am

Rosie B wrote:MC - no, it wasn't a grey horse. Here's the video in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gWK_BHRKro

Thanks Rosie. What an awesome horse.

Here's the video of the grey horse doing the medium. Janet says it's boring as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt37xvLukbQ

sorry for taking the thread off course.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 am

khall wrote:Question for those of you who post videos, what camera do you use? I tried to get some in hand work with my big guy but the iPhone did not have enough storage. Would love to see about getting some sort of a camera that is easy to use. I am pretty technologically inept.

I just use a sony handicam camera, its a few years old now. But it's on a soloshot2 tracker for my horse vids. If you have the $$ worth investing! (wait for soloshot3 though).
The soloshot3 comes with it's own camera, but a normal handycam you can use by itself, dont think the soloshot ones will do that.

Musical comedy, I like the discussion on lengthening!

khall

Postby khall » Sat May 21, 2016 1:03 am

What I see with all of the videos showing medium trot is compressed instead of truly collected horses. The bay horse really shows how compressed he is when he is so lateral in the walk. The grey horse is on his shoulders and not showing true medium trot. Medium and extended trot comes from a collected horse that coils the hind legs and elevates in the front.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 21, 2016 12:15 pm

For video I just use my phone. My son shoots it for me.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Flight wrote:
I just use a sony handicam camera, its a few years old now. But it's on a soloshot2 tracker for my horse vids. If you have the $$ worth investing! (wait for soloshot3 though).

Same here, except 2 of my Sony's are old enough they still use dv tapes, while the other one is a newer pos that saves to a hard drive. The problems with the pos Sony is that it saves small files so the resolution sucks, and it saves in a format that none of my editing programs recognize so I have to convert the files before I can edit them. From what I understand, that's how the newer cameras save files (MTS format?) which I know nothing about.

The tape mechanisms in the dv camera don't last that long so I save directly to a computer through a firewire cable (old technology) when the tape mechanisms go. The video quality is very good, though.

I thought I might get a soloshot 3 when they came out, but I may be winding down on the videotaping so am planning to wait until I really want one, so that I don't end up with one sitting around doing nothing that I won't sell because I might want to use it someday. :-)

Musical comedy, I like the discussion on lengthening!

Agree. Very good discussion about something that I've been thinking about starting.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat May 21, 2016 11:25 pm

A couple pics from today because I can't resist. :) I love his colour this time of year!!

khall - I have a samsung HMX-F80. I love it. You can record for hours, and the quality is great. These pics were taken off the video from today.
Attachments
May 21_13.jpg
May 21_13.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 22877 times
May 21_3.jpg
May 21_3.jpg (55.84 KiB) Viewed 22877 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun May 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Lovely, RosieB. So elegant.

It is snowing here. Sideways.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 23, 2016 5:39 am

Kande, I haven't seen tapes in video cameras for years! I know my parent's used to have one that I would borrow!

Rosie - yes looking great! My guys all have their winter woollies on now, and I'm digging out my thermal jods :)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon May 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Not to hijack, but hey Moutaineer--been a heck of a spring hasn't it? I got to sit through a soccer game in Blackfoot, 9am, the only thing it wasn't doing was snowing. Lovely. DH says i can plant the tomatoes when I pull the blankets off the horses. :lol:

Nothing to add in riding cuz i haven't much. The sun was out on and off yesterday but the wind was cold and, at times, REALLY strong so I just did chores around the place and helped dh site in his rifle. Every time I went to tack up the ponies, heavy black clouds would appear, the wind would pick up and thunder would roll overhead. I took it as a sign. :P

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 24, 2016 2:44 am

I need to update, to help me plan my ride for tomorrow.

We kept up with the program every other day until Saturday the 21. It was my day to ride her. Because of the weather, the three horses hadn’t had their usual amount of turnout. It was cool and wet and I when I turned them out they got excited and galloped around a lot. Emma did one sharp turn, slipped in the mud, jumped up and continued galloping. She hit the ground with her hip and must have landed on a rock because she got a half dollar size scrape. Not too serious but I decided to give her a few days off just in case. No heat or swelling, but a little edema in her back ankles the next morning.
The rides preceding the fall were good and I managed to stay with the program. The head flipping is minimal, not enough to concern me at this point. I’ll ride her tomorrow . I guess I’ll just start where I left off. It will be early in the morning before turnout so I’ll give her a longer rein, and a longer warmup. Marching walk with lots of change of direction for probably 10 minutes. Then shorten the reins and collected trot with 10m circles at A,C,B, and E, etc. Then 3 loop serpentines collected trot with walk transitions when crossing centerline. Then a few trot lengthenings on short diagonals. Not lengthening the whole short diagonal, just a few steps.
If all is going well, I’ll add some working canter. I still think I need to be conservative with canter so I am guessing only 2-3 20m circles each direction with a change through the trot across the centerline.

That will total about 30 minutes.

I just realized what my June/July goal will be. Increase the canter work. I think she’s ready. Hopefully to 10-15 20m circles by the end of July.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 24, 2016 2:55 am

also: Nice pictures Rosie. Thanks for posting. I just love the harmony you have with him.

about video cameras. I'm still holding out for the Soloshot 3. Supposedly shipping mid summer. I read that the setup time will go from 8 minutes for the Soloshot 2 to 30 seconds with the 3. Wait. Can that be right? just 30 seconds?! i need to go look at that again. Anyway, it's really important to me to not have the distractions such as complicated setup before I ride. I just don't have the patience anymore.

Oh, and I'd really like to lose some weight before i have to see myself on video...

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 24, 2016 4:28 am

demi wrote: Supposedly shipping mid summer. I read that the setup time will go from 8 minutes for the Soloshot 2 to 30 seconds with the 3. Wait. Can that be right? just 30 seconds?!

I hope so!!!!! That is the WHOLE reason I ordered a 3. While I've got my system down pat with the 2, I know I will be in love with the 3 IF it actually does only take 30sec to set up :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Demi, half way through this month, after reading the Jeremy Steinberg thread, I decided I was not cantering enough. I started timing my canter on Kimba and set a goal for at least five minutes of steady tempo, then a minute or two of transitions.

It's been very beneficial.

Interesting how beneficial goal setting and input can be.

Thanks for all your shared training input, I find it very helpful.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed May 25, 2016 2:42 am

I have moved my horse to my trainer's barn for the summer and am taking three lessons a week and auditing her ride him one day a week. My goal is to get all of second and HP very fluid and correct and put changes on my horse.

I did the clinic there a week after I arrived and learned quite a bit.

ps. Musical Comedy, I returned your email that you sent me on 1 April but I suspect it went into your spam folder.

demi

Postby demi » Wed May 25, 2016 3:21 am

Chisamba wrote:Demi, half way through this month, after reading the Jeremy Steinberg thread, I decided I was not cantering enough. I started timing my canter on Kimba and set a goal for at least five minutes of steady tempo, then a minute or two of transitions.

It's been very beneficial.

Interesting how beneficial goal setting and input can be.

Thanks for all your shared training input, I find it very helpful.

Thanks for your contributions, too! I read just read Deneb's update and appreciated the details about what you are doing with her. I liked how you changed her stabling routine as I feel strongly about how the rest of a horse's life, other than the training, can affect them.

Funny that you were all ready to show her! I can so relate to getting that elated about a horse's progress. That's where the goal setting helps me. I tend to get excited and try to move ahead too quickly sometimes, but having the goals written out helps keep me on track.

Also, I noticed that by writing things out clearly enough for someone else to understand, I end up clearing things up in my own mind.

demi

Postby demi » Wed May 25, 2016 3:34 am

I was all set for a good ride today but didn't get to carry out the plan. Emma is still sore from her fall on Saturday. She didn't want to walk out when I got on, even on the longer rein that was part of my plan. She is normally very easy to get into a marching walk but she resisted today. I decided to get off and will give her a full week off...At least I still have a plan all written out for when I get back on. And in the mean time I am riding my other mare, Rocky, to keep my old joints from going stiff on me.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:13 am

demi wrote:
Also, I noticed that by writing things out clearly enough for someone else to understand, I end up clearing things up in my own mind.

Same here. I feel like if I can explain what I'm doing, or want to do, then I have it straight in my mind.

I'm mulling over the canter idea, but am not interested in actually trying it until understand how it works.

I had noticed that any amount of canter usually gets Sting more forward and heavier in my hands, which is the last thing I want because I want him between my hand and my leg, so at this point I'm failing to see how longer canters would be constructive? I may try a little bit longer canter just to try to sort out whether shorter canters and longer canters have the same effect, but given Sting's physical problems (club foot) I think it would likely be imprudent to work him even harder to try to get something that I'm not sure I want, anyway.

And yes, I try to make myself ride at least twice a week, even when I don't want to, so that I'll still be able to ride when I get motivated again. :-)

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Wed May 25, 2016 1:44 pm

kande50 wrote:

I had noticed that any amount of canter usually gets Sting more forward and heavier in my hands, which is the last thing I want because I want him between my hand and my leg, so at this point I'm failing to see how longer canters would be constructive? I may try a little bit longer canter just to try to sort out whether shorter canters and longer canters have the same effect, but given Sting's physical problems (club foot) I think it would likely be imprudent to work him even harder to try to get something that I'm not sure I want, anyway.

Personally, I think that the benefit of more canter (or sometimes even cantering at all) really depends A LOT on the horse. With The New Welsh, cantering has always been beneficial. But with him, getting him foreward and even a little heavier in the bridle would be beneficial. Also, he's quite short backed and usually takes a while to loosen up and cantering helps with that too...

Being the drafty/cobby type, finding his ballance at the canter was a process, but he never had the tendency to rush, so even then he would benefit from a couple of short canter units (even if it was just a couple of strides, finding his rhythm).

A horse that has yet to find his ballance at the canter and is trying to solve the issue by rushing, I would never canter to improve anything (least of all the canter itself) but rather find other ways to improve ballance, strength and self carriage before adding canter work at all.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 pm

I agree Amity, it really depends on the horse as to whether or not cantering any length of time would help. I am trying to do more with my big guy but not just cantering, worked on CC through both short sides and got it on both leads. This is a big horse whose canter has been longer to develop but now with the strength he has he could carry the CC through both short sides both directions. Right easier than the left. Does not help that he is an energy conservationist! That's ok we are working on it. Fitness/wind is not really an issue, I think it is just sheer strength to hold his big self up in these exercises and it is hard he says.

I am wanting to do more lateral work in the canter, working more on canter HP (which he does I just do not do it very often), SF in canter and eventually renvere in CC, being able to move his shoulders around in the canter work. Was thinking about the canter squares as well. Still very happy with the big guy, he is becoming a real joy to work with and I never thought I would say that!!

My mare is coming along too, she still has some wild days in her but her balance under saddle has improved tremendously. Lateral work is so good for strengthening these big horses.

I may wait for the solo shot myself, sounds like it would be easy to use. Chisamba I tried taping with my iPhone and it would not tape that long for us (plus I have to have someone to operate it) do you upload your videos on youtube or share directly from your phone? I usually upload my videos to FB (I take a few of my foster pit bull while training with her) but not to youtube. I just need easy to use and to transfer to. We have an older Mac pro that is our main computer in the house, so not sure if the solo shot would be compatible. I can always ask my techie DS, he should know!

Glad to hear all of the positive updates from everyone, Rosie your guy looks great in those photos! I watch another Bellisimo M gelding that was for sale reminded me very much of your guy. He sure puts nice horses on the ground.

demi

Postby demi » Wed May 25, 2016 8:45 pm

It's interesting to hear about the differences in horses wrt the canter.

Years ago I had a 3yr TB that needed lots of exercise. I boarded at a barn that was run by a polo player and I galloped his ponies once a week for him. I rode one and ponied two or three. They knew the program inside out, and all I had to do was steer. The first time I did it the polo guy said they need 5 laps but just do three laps....if you can! I did the three laps but just barely, even though I was young and in good shape (or so I thought). Then I started taking my young horse with the group and he thrived on the program. He was bred for racing so it makes sense that galloping, and lots of it, was good for him.

Rocky was also bred for speed, but the cow work type. Her breeder broke her for me at 3 1/2 and one day asked me if I minded if her ran her once to see how fast she was. He took her into a huge field and opened her up. I was 58 years old at the time and when I saw her run I knew I'd better be very careful that she never ran like that with me on her. For several years she got really revved up when we cantered so I never let her canter very long. She still can't do more than 3 20m circles without starting to pick up speed.

Emma had canter issues when I bought her. So I want to be sure that she can handle it, but I think she will eventually do very well with the canter routine that JS describes. She is 1/4 tb from racing lines and is long legged and slender. We shall see.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 am

There is a theory that even a badly ridden canter benefits the horse but a poorly ridden trot does not. This is because the horse has to carry with the inside hind leg in the stride so canter strengthens and improves.

I think this theory is only true if the horse is in true three beat rhythm, but it has an element of truth to it.
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu May 26, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Thu May 26, 2016 6:20 am

It probably makes sense to specify, that I was talking strictly about ring work. Cantering in a field or even better, on a nice track is quite a different story. Unless your horse is loosing it completely out there, a good canter or gallop out in a field is probably beneficial for pretty much any horse... :)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu May 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Yay, I got to ride last night! :D :D :D I know y'all have wonderful horses but I have the BEST. Hehe

Rudy first...Lets see, I lunged first while i picked weeds because he needed some time to warm up his muscles and I needed to get some weeds out of my arena. After the usual discussion about whether we should do arena work or go out and play, he quickly acquiesced and went right to work. I only worked him 30min but that was all I needed to accomplish what I wanted. Brief brag, I got an honest-to-goodness canter hp BOTH directions all the way across the arena. Also, my canter-walk-canters were spot on (c-t-c were 10's) AND I almost had a sitting medium trot IN THE ARENA!!! Still just focusing on keeping myself upright and in the middle of the saddle while insisting pony stay in front of leg and soft in the base of his neck. No "fancy" stuff until he is reaching out to the bit consistently and evenly.

Tio was a perfect gentleman on the lunge but pretty cheeky under saddle. I finally had to hop off and explain, once again, why it is wise to go forward when asked and what exactly is going to happen if a tap with the bat is not a sufficient reminder. :lol: Oh, btw, he can do a really nice in-hand trot when properly motivated. Anyways, I hopped back on and really enjoyed trotting him around the arena practicing t-w-t and w-h-w-t transitions. He actually is starting to develop a tiny bit of cadence even. Didn't have time for a walk down the road but I don't think he minded all that much.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu May 26, 2016 4:49 pm

Super good, SueB! So nice when it comes together!

Which it hasn't for me for the past couple of rides. My fault, of course. I pushed it too hard and he's got a little resistant. He's not body sore anywhere but I think a little mind-sore about the idea of greater collection. I asked for too much too soon. As my trainer said, this is 2nd level, not FEI...

So we are having a laid back few days. We had a nice ride in the indoor ring last night, nothing earth shattering but we finished as friends and on a successful note. Please God let the weather be nice this weekend so I can get him out for an amble on the trails.

I've ordered a new bit for him. The Neue Schule Verbindend, which I'm hoping may help with his mouth-opening habit, which has improved, but is still there. He's got a pretty meaty tongue, so I think a bit of extra space might help a lot.

Vet for spring shots on Saturday, too. I resent having to do shots I don't normally do in order to be able to show, but Oh, Well.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 26, 2016 9:06 pm

Moutaineer wrote:He's not body sore anywhere but I think a little mind-sore about the idea of greater collection. I asked for too much too soon. As my trainer said, this is 2nd level, not FEI...

truth.... !!!!!!!!

:lol:

Its so hard to know (for me) how much is enough, too much, just right.... oh well, I'm doing the best I can.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu May 26, 2016 10:26 pm

Sue B I love it when you have great rides :D :D
I'm now able to ride my guy a little rounder and starting to up the ante with him. He's no longer trying to push down on the contact and he's freer in his shoulders. I can feel cadence coming into his trot work as well and I get all excited and then watch the video and it looks like hardly anything!! Not sure what I'm expecting, that he transforms into Valegro or something :D
Winter's here now and we've had some lovely cold weather with that brisk wind, and it really suits my horse. He has a lot more energy in the cold. The other day he was almost a 'hot' horse. Snaking his head around and squealing! I was like.. hmmm I've not had to ride this before!

Mountaineer I've got to watch it that I don't get too enthusiastic and ask for too much too. However, my instructor is getting me to get more bend and suppleness in the lateral work etc and it feels like it's working.

My next goal is a dressage training day next month, I'm going to try and do the next level - medium (3rd?) and see how we go :)

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri May 27, 2016 11:46 am

Wow - everyone has been busy! I love that this thread is so active and love reading everyone's updates. :)

Mountaineer, Flight, demi, and khall - thanks for the comments re. Bliss. As you all know, I absolutely adore him. :) If anyone wants to see some video of what a sweetie he is, check this out... he was canoodling with some little girls last weekend. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icHMIkOKusA

And not to brag, but that day the pics were taken it was 25 degrees at 11:00 in the morning!!! It was soooo nice. I don't feel too badly bragging about that as we've had some cold and nasty weather this spring, too. :)

demi - I love the care you're taking bringing Emma back into shape. It sounds like things are progressing super well - a pity about the pasture incident though!

Tsavo - I don't remember "seeing" you on this thread before, but if you have been here I apologize, and if not - welcome! :)

Kande - how bad of a club foot does Sting have? Bliss also has a club foot, but it's minor and doesn't impact him in any way. I trim his feet myself and I always make sure to leave the heel that he's comfortable with on that side and keep both feet comfortable for a heel first landing. The hoof angles are perfect on each side, but they don't match each other - nor should they. :) My vet is 100% on the same page with me and he's totally sound and comfortable, so I will keep on doing what I'm doing.

AmityBee - I completely agree with you re. the cantering - especially if your horse is an 'energy conservationist'. I always find cantering helps loosen Bliss through the body and helps him be more forward. If he's a little strong/heavy after that, that's ok, because that's easier (for me) to deal with than a sucked back horse that isn't connecting honestly.

khall - sounds like your bug guy is really getting there! I am eagerly awaiting some video. :)

Sue B - what a great update!!! Sounds like you were enjoying every minute. Those are the best kinds of rides.

Mountaineer - I love your trainer!!! I have been having the same problem - pushing too hard. I think that's easy for us type A overachievers to get into. I hope the new bit works for him. :)

Flight - isn't it nice when the weather cooperates to make your horse more energetic?? lol. I think it's important to realize that watching your work on video is *very* different from seeing it in person. I find that things that were super obvious when watching in person are less obvious when watching the same thing on video. Also, nothing ever looks as good on video as it does in person. I've noticed this time and time again when I have watched some lovely horses and riders in person and then watched the video afterward. So take what you see on the video with a grain of salt, and trust your feel. :)

I had a good ride last night! I've been watching JS's videos of him schooling his young horse, Augie, and they are super illuminating. I particularly liked that he is focused more on relaxation and suppleness than on booming around in the big trot. Most of his work is in a nice relaxed smaller trot, and the horse is super loose and contented - the harmony is evident. So I approached my ride that way last night and Bliss was definitely a fan! Lots of blowing, some super relaxed and supple stretchy trot, and nicely soft all over his body. My belly is starting to get in the way a bit, so I figure I only have a couple weeks of riding left at most, but I plan to enjoy every ride as much as I can. :)

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Rosie B wrote:
Kande - how bad of a club foot does Sting have?

Rosie, I put my reply over on the veterinary forum because it was more about the characteristics of Sting's club than about training goals.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Rosie, I'm glad the Sternberg videos of his young horse were inspiring. I thought they might be! I love Bliss's color this time of year, too.

Emi and I are enjoying the entree of summer. She loves the heat and so do I! We have a JJ Tate clinic in about a month---I am looking forward to it.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri May 27, 2016 4:49 pm

I took Rudy on down the road last night in keeping with the the idea that too much arena work is not good. :P No, really, I knew if we worked in the arena, I would want more of what I had the day before, and so I stuck with my initial plan of hack day. Rudy wanted to go on the trail along side the railroad tracks so off we went until I looked up and realized a train was coming! Some how Rudy failed to notice and was NOT happy when I turned him around and beat feet to the crossing before the train came. I took him down the road 50yds or so to watch as it roared by and he was completely unfazed by it but came uncorked when the sagebrush bush "suddenly" appeared next to the road. What a goof. Anyway, we had a fun adventure and, as usual, some lovely sitting trot work.

Rosie, I LOVE your little vid of Bliss. When I was preggers, I rode until it became too awkward for me to dismount easily (about 7mos) but did mostly walk and canter with any trot work done rising the last month or two. My horse at the time, Scotty, was super careful with me the further along my pregnancy went. He must have felt the change in balance or something. I would not have ridden so long if he had not been so trustworthy.
Moutaineer, it is supposed to be nice this weekend, I do hope you two can get out of the arena.
Flight, I still don't have any vid of those great days so I would guess that he probably doesn't look any where near as good as he feels. :lol:

Once again, thank you all for the motivating pictures and writings.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 28, 2016 12:41 am

Rosie B wrote:A couple pics from today because I can't resist. :) I love his colour this time of year!!

khall - I have a samsung HMX-F80. I love it. You can record for hours, and the quality is great. These pics were taken off the video from today.

That is really good quality picture for off video. It's also just a stunning picture.

demi

Postby demi » Sat May 28, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm going to ride Emma in a few minutes and my plan is to just walk on a medium length rein. Even if she feels fully recovered after her little pasture wreck, I'm not going to push it.

I watched the JS vid of his young(beautiful) mare again last night and even though I will only walk Emma today, I can incorporate JS's general attitude in my ride. Focused, sensitive, feeling, businesslike, balanced...

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun May 29, 2016 10:51 am

I don't think I'll try and do the next level on my horse at the training day. I was starting to harass him and he gets resentful if I start pushing too much. So today I kept in mind to expect little and reward lots and had a much happier ride. He doesn't always feel like he is trying, but I think he is, I just need to give him more time and try and keep him happy.
My young horse is very different, he's much more naturally forward and I can tell when he tries! Sometimes he tries too much so it's easy to just ask for a little bit from him.

Here's some vid of him, just starting to do travers in trot and some lengthened trot. My arena is a bit small, but he loses balance easily so the smaller arena makes me careful to keep him balanced. Walk to canters, I did this the other day and he was really quick to cotton on. But today he was anticipating and trying too hard! :)

https://youtu.be/SFwJL4BRGOE

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Nice work, Flight. I watched 3 times.

I like what you said about keeping your other horse happy. I've had people roll their eyes when I use that expression, but it's the best way I have for describing something that isn't otherwise easily described. I can see you are keeping the young horse happy, too. He (the young one), looks like a horse that also needs to be carefully handled so as not to push him over the edge. It is a fine line to find the balance between asking just enough and not too much, and you are doing well. The way I can tell that he is happy, is that the work you are getting from him his very pretty, and has a spark of joy to it. The lengthening at trot shows cadence (that's the spark, cadence) The traverse is focused. Even the w-c trans shows that while he didn't exactly understand, he was willing to try. Of course, you said that stuff already!

Emma was good yesterday and I ended up doing a little more than just walk. She was a little backed off at first when walking on a long rein but it felt different than when she was still sore from her fall, so I shortened the reins and asked her to come together a bit more. She complied nicely. I just did some collected trot (20 & 15 m circles) because she felt comfortable at it, and then a few trot-canter transitions. I can feel she has some neat stuff in her but I am controlling myself to keep her happy! I wanted to do so much more, but I only rode for 20 minutes and ended up with some work, that, even though very simple, felt pretty.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 30, 2016 8:49 am

Thanks Demi! Everything you've said is spot on :D

Sounds like you are getting some quality work too :) It's so much nicer when they are comfortable and happy in the work.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon May 30, 2016 11:21 am

piedmont - have fun in the clinic!! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Thanks Chisamba!! One of the benefits of taking pics using a video camera is that you can select the perfect moment for the pic. I have a program that lets me advance the footage frame by frame on my computer to pick the absolute best shot. ;)

Flight - nice work!! I love that the rhythm doesn't change in either the travers or the lengthen. He looks like a real trier. I'd be careful in the walk/canters though to try to keep the walk pure. It's a lesser evil (in my mind) for him to take a few trot steps than to lose the purity of the walk before the transition. I'm sensitive to this because I've done the exact same thing with Bliss.

demi - I admire your restraint! It's so hard for me to keep from playing with things when the horse is feeling good. :)

I had a good lesson yesterday, and a good ride Saturday. Coach really nailed us for Bliss not respecting my legs, so we did A LOT of almost pure sidepassing (she's got a western background) and MAN did that ever supple him and open up his stride. We had some super feeling trot in between the side passes. We also did a teensy bit of counter canter each way, and that's easy for him. Here are a few pics from my lesson (again off my video camera... blurry today because my coach is terrible with the video camera!!)
Attachments
May 29_8.jpg
May 29_8.jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 22378 times
May 29_7.jpg
May 29_7.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 22378 times
May 29_1.jpg
May 29_1.jpg (85.83 KiB) Viewed 22378 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 30, 2016 2:22 pm

Riot's plugging away! I'm meeting my goals for this month (self carraige at walk and trot). feels good! We are somewhere between into -----> second level now, depending on what area you are asking about!
I'm slowly getting my mojo back, and that is even better than anything I am achieving in the actual work!

I always felt Riot was floating above the aids in the canter- now with the saddle change that is much improved. I think it's been good I haven't been cantering as much this past year- i think he is really strong now with his injured hip and more ready to do things again. I felt it stiffen a bit here and there over the last 12 moths.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Tue May 31, 2016 7:05 pm

I love seeing everyone's pictures. Makes me jealous, as I have hardly any pictures of me riding.

As far as my goals for May, well, they have gone totally out the window. I did have a second lesson on my new trainer's horse, and loved every minute of it. So very different making her big 17hh Percheron cross get around the arena compared to my sensitive little 15.3hh QH.

I was hoping to have had a lesson on my guy by now, since we moved him to the new trainer's barn on the 14th. But, he's still sore even with his new shoes. I am so bummed out about this navicular thing. I really don't want to bute him just so I can ride, but I really want to ride!!

At this point, I'm just not sure what to do with him. I don't want to (and can't) dump a bunch of money into him making him sound. But I don't have funds for purchasing a new horse at the moment, and not sure how to honestly sell a horse who is lame. :cry:

On the positive side, my horse seems to absolutely love the new barn, and he's finally gaining some weight (proper feeding was an ongoing issue at the old barn since last fall, I got so tired of checking up every month and finding out that my feeding instructions weren't being followed and he wasn't being given enough hay. Hay that I was providing!!)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:54 am

A lovely ride this evening to round out the month.

Looking at our progress over the last two months, I'm pretty happy. Trot lengthenings are vastly improved, counter canter is pretty solid, so those were my two main objectives for this period. Laddie's (and my) fitness has improved significantly. I like my new trainer, she has a good approach and she's solidly correct and classical in her work. The new barn is very conducive to getting work done, my horse is happy. We haven't done much trail riding because the weather has been largely pretty shitty.

I missed my clinic with Verena, of course. But there will be other opportunities.

Now I need to stay on track for the next 10 days until our first show. We have two weekends running which is a bit painful, but then nothing for quite a while.

Mareless, that's so frustrating, but I'm glad your horse seems happy, at least.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:57 am

Wow, the month is over and we need to start a new thread. This has been interesting, inspiring and helpful.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:57 am

Yes, that went fast!

Yesterday I took Pickle off the farm for the first time since she arrived in October. She was a pretty good traveler, and was tense and looky at the arena we went to, but nothing off the wall. Stuck to me like glue when I finally let her loose in their round pen. Unloading there and when we got home was the most eventful part of it. I learned that I need to run a lunge line from her halter, through the tie ring and out the door to the back of the trailer so that I can control her head when undoing the butt bar. Otherwise she tries to fold in half and turn around in the stall rather than backing out calmly like when we were practicing. :eek:

Bathing is 50/50, but I'm thinking she might learn to like it when it hits 100 F this weekend. I can do neck, shoulders, legs and tail, but she is none too happy with getting her back and butt sprinkled. Clipping is coming along too, but she's a tougher customer than my last two, and things unravel if I try to clip one hair on her chinny chin chin.

Anyway, we finished out the month with her presenting tonight with a fist-sized swelling on her jaw. Didn't seem sensitive and she was eating fine, so we just left it. Probably stung by a wasp. Gave her the day off and will see tomorrow morning if it warrants calling the vet (hey, we'd get more trailer practice out of it!).

Will be awaiting the next thread as we'll be buckling down on the in-hand work for the summer!
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 am

Well technically it's the 1st of June, but as an end of month session, I had a 'go forward' tuning session with my guy.
I took him to my instructors and was frustrated with his lack of willing to go. He's not grumpy or sour, he is just happy to cruise along and look around at the scenery and just not get along with it. My instructor is very patient but I KNOW he can be very responsive. Certainly when we go out (like down the road) he is full of energy and is AMAZING to ride so I want some of that for a short time in the arena.
When I was following the Warwick Schiller stuff, he had an exercise where you start at halt, on the buckle. Start to put your leg on and squeeze (not fast) and if they're not starting to move off you tap with your whip, increasing how hard you tap until they move. And really move.
So, by the third tap we were cantering, and 4th galloping. The second time we did it, we were galloping by the 2nd. It's a good one for me to make sure i'm not blocking with my hands. Then, I take up a light contact and have him 'round' and do it with that contact (thinking hands forward). He was super tuned after 5 mins. Lots of pats when he goes.
Hoping we have that again for tomorrow's ride!

My big young guy was great, I had him doing little xc jumps yesterday. Holy moley he will be an awesome XC horse - with a better rider!! He's really keen and confident, but scares the crap out of me.
Did some nice W-C (keeping in mind the quality of the walk before hand - thanks Rosie :) )

Straightforward -hoping the swelling isn't anything serious - no abscesses or anything! I remember the first time I hosed my young horse.. let's say the garden is still recovering from his great hooves making contact!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:26 am

StraightForward wrote:Yes, that went fast! I learned that I need to run a lunge line from her halter, through the tie ring and out the door to the back of the trailer so that I can control her head when undoing the butt bar. Otherwise she tries to fold in half and turn around in the stall rather than backing out calmly like when we were practicing.

Will be awaiting the next thread as we'll be buckling down on the in-hand work for the summer!

I had a young mare turn while I was undoing the butt bar and get stuck sideways. It was quite a dilemma. Your solution is a good one when no one is at hand to help.

Regarding the swelling on the jaw could she be teething?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Chisamba wrote:
StraightForward wrote:Regarding the swelling on the jaw could she be teething?

Yes, she could be; I know her baby incisors are about to be pushed out... This big lump developed within the span of about 9 hours yesterday (wasn't there when her fly mask went on around 9 am, discovered it around 6 pm) and is pretty hard, with some edema lower down the jaw. I've had several babies, but never had them develop issues like that around teeth, so I'm not sure what that would look like?
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:21 pm

https://goo.gl/images/Pc2h7M

Hopefully this link will take you to an image,. This horse head multiple bumps sometimes they get only one at a time

Return to “Dressage Training”