Critiques

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Critiques

Postby PaulaO » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Be kind. We trotted over a pole and I have look of grim determination on my face trying to keep her straight. Being a schoolie for a long time, she likes to cut her corners.
pole.jpg
pole.jpg (174.78 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

Trotting round a corner. Am I uneven?
uneven question.jpg
uneven question.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

We have quite a lot of work to do! Rhythm, forward, balance. Such a work in progress. I keep thinking of Charles deKunffy's mantra "Speed in the enemy of impulsion." And she's already learning the stretchy trot.

demi

Re: Critiques

Postby demi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:00 pm

You look marvelous and thanks for the pics! She looks like a nice horse and you fit her well.

A little unevenness is certainly not unusual this early in the game. I have a feeling you will be good for each other and I am looking forward to more pictures as you both get stronger and in tune with each other.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Only thing I have to say is just keep on doing it! And loving it :D
Great pics!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 pm

I think you look good!. I love pole work! Rust breeches on order? ;).

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:38 pm

Need to lose 5 pounds before rust breeches. I did see a nice pair at the local high end saddlery for $395! :o

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:48 pm

You look like a super pair and you are doing a good job of keeping her straight! Regarding your question of unevenness... I'd check your stirrup leathers to make sure that they are even... it seems as though either your right stirrup is shorter, or you may be drawing your leg up on that side (pushing your left leg longer against the stirrup) by collapsing slightly in the waist to the right - see your right shoulder - it's dropped a bit on both pics, and your right leg is higher than the left in the pic coming directly at camera, so I'm a little suspicious. But you can iron that out in no time! Also. 395 for breeches!?!? That's absurd!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:11 am

You ride her quite well! I love her too!
She is such a pretty color.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:13 am

Nice pics, Thanks for sharing..

I'd agree a bit uneven, noticeable in the second pic. As another member suggested, check your stirrup leathers, they may be uneven. Or if like me, you just put more weight into your dominant side. Your saddle may also be slipping a bit.

good job with her!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:25 pm

No useful critiques, but a nice exercise is to put poles down in a little course, 5 or 6 is enough. You just trot over your course, with the focus on being straight for the approach, straight over the pole, and especially STRAIGHT after the pole. It helps if you have markers (like cones or cans), then you can place them a few metres after the pole.

And then for conditioning you repeat your course, in two point. Nice and simple, but lots of thinking about balance, evenness and especially straightness (the holy grail according to my jumping coach). Good luck, you look great!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Hayburner wrote:Nice pics, Thanks for sharing..

I'd agree a bit uneven, noticeable in the second pic. As another member suggested, check your stirrup leathers, they may be uneven. Or if like me, you just put more weight into your dominant side. Your saddle may also be slipping a bit.

good job with her!

I was using an Ultra Thinline pad on top of a Poly Pad, and the Thinline pad had slipped all over by the end of the lesson. I'm ditching that combo and doing a regular PRI pad with a wool felt half pad. My trainer did mention that my left stirrup looked longer, so it could be the collapsing at the waist issue.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Do you need the half pad for saddle fit?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Not for saddle fit, for extra cushioning.

Return to “Dressage Training”