Evolving Evasions: Behind the Bit/Above the Bit

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Evolving Evasions: Behind the Bit/Above the Bit

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:15 pm

This is really just musing on what has changed with Emi over the last two years of work. When I first got her, she was very much of the "no, I don't touch the bit---I hang out back here" sort of horse. It looked like she was being obedient, but she was not on the bit or connected, and it was very difficult to feel any connection through the reins on her. She would often have a huge reaction if I touched the reins like she was a "normal horse"--especially on her harder to connect side.

Without having a very conscious plan, I realize that a lot of what I did that first year was encourage her to go up and open--above the bit as needed---to experience that it is okay out there and it is okay to feel me on the reins. I experimented with some different bits, also (she does not like a French link). Of course she had dental care and checkups, too (she had actually had more serious dental work just before I got her).

I was thinking last night that we are in such a different place this year--at those times that she does not connect/is evading, she goes above the bit. I'm actually feeling like "hallelujah!" because this is a lot easier for me to correct! And she has become much more evolved in accepting consistent contact (although she remains prone to claustrophobia if the circle of aids is too firm). And she still has a very nice soft feel when she is correct---which is very important to me and my wimpy hands--and my preference for a horse that feels more like "whipped cream than fudge" in the hand!

Anyone else go through a similar process or evolution? I'm sure more talented trainers/riders would do this in a month--not a year or two!!

Flight

Re: Evolving Evasions: Behind the Bit/Above the Bit

Postby Flight » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Yes, my big horse was very sensitive at the start and would curl away from the bit so I had to work on that. Then he went through being a bit heavy, and now I think we are at a happy medium.
My other horse was always a bit dull (I started both of them under saddle) and I was with an instructor who encouraged them to be more of a weight in the hand, I changed instructors and rode some of his horses who were much lighter and now I've got my guy more to being light.
It's been a longer process for me too!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:50 am

Is Norsey the "big horse"? (I am such a fan of him)

It is just an interesting process. I do think "behind the bit" is quite a bit more subtle to correct than above the bit (which often resolves with strength and good bit education/in-hand work). But it may be my challenge, not others.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:09 am

Yes, Norsey is the big horse :)
I agree about behind the bit, I tend to get mine just slightly behind the vertical and I see it later in vids/photos but at the time of riding, don't notice it happening. Above the bit seems to correct itself in a way.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:58 am

Deneb would curl behind the contact, i too rode her more up and out. Now her contact can at times be stronger than I like but i agree easier to work with.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Flight wrote:I agree about behind the bit, I tend to get mine just slightly behind the vertical and I see it later in vids/photos but at the time of riding, don't notice it happening. Above the bit seems to correct itself in a way.

I think it does too, because as the work encourages the horse to collect more and more he just naturally wants to round his neck more because it helps him to sustain that balance.

I spend enough time reading about up and open that as soon as my horse's poll drops below his neck I fix it, because I'm convinced that if I ever let him start I'd never be able to truly fix it. It's just way too easy for him, and he likes easy just as much as the next guy.

Return to “Dressage Training”