March & April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
exvet
Herd Member

Re: March & April Goals and Progress

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Well Arizona has been far wetter than a desert is supposed to be and colder! So y'all's weather has been dipping down here too. As such I haven't been able to ride as much as intended but I did get to haul out to a lesson yesterday. It was windy, cold and all the horses were ramped up and giving exciting rides. Junior was no exception but I was able to get him to pull it together and relax and work. What was nice about it, as my instructor pointed out, was that it gave us a learning opportunity to discover what works best in such moments in case it happens again (like a show or clinic). Leg yield in a circle, spiraling in and out and lots of transitions with many good boys when he just starts to give the right response/reaction definitely did the trick. We decided to work on canter and speed within the stride (of all days right?). Despite turning 5 tomorrow we ended up working on some canter halt transitions because to the right he was really responsive and giving me all the right answers to my half-halts, starting to rock back etc. To the left however because of the nemesis we have with accepting the right rein and my paresis on the right side he gave me some challenges. So to his dive, blow through the hand, etc, it was halt! and try again but in very incremental steps. This reminded me of the thread where the idea is to be clear to the horse. Junior definitely does better when exercises are broken down into increments that build upon themselves. So we did trot-halt-trot transitions until he was really receptive and accepting of the bit. Then we did quiet canter transitions and gave half-halts to moderate the speed/momentum. If he came back then I relaxed and did nothing...if he didn't then it was an immediate halt (glad I have velcro on my hiney). It only took a couple of repetitions for him to realize despite wind, popping, cracking, snapping and spooking horses, what I wanted and what he needed to do. He was exhausted at the end, not because I took the whole lesson time to get there (we ended the lesson with about 10 minutes to spare) but because he was so focused his little brain hurt but he was totally tuned into me. He figured out the rewards pretty easily and thus the concept. We rinsed and repeated enough times both directions that I think we'll be able to move on to the next lesson. What I also discovered is that he's a horse who appreciates his blanket. Because of our cooler weather, he was actually diving into his blanket when I offered it to him last night......LOL....our heritage may suggest we're from cooler climates but we both agree that we live below the mason dixon line for a reason!

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:07 am

Maia's had a few weeks off due to soaked arena, travel, and work:

Ride 1: Wow! Time off isn't a bad thing for this youngster ... until we cantered :shock: :shock:
Ride 2: Huh. Time to rethink my stance on gadgets, like strong bits :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're still living. She's a handful! Cantering is **FUN**

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:52 am

Heddy you crack me up! Glad you stayed aboard!!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Ok.. I have one happy update to give on one of the gray horses in my life! My student and I were able to coordinate a maiden voyage for Charm in her new trailer. We brought him over to my barn - which is 15 mins away for a very low key work. His story has been a long, slow burn. Basically, he had some major behavioral issues that even made me afraid to swing a leg over him. She and I kept very open dialogue and I felt pretty strongly that his response was 2 parts pain, 1 part learned, so we went digging and we found kissing spines. Based on that, we implemented a longing and long lining program to 1. address his musculature over his back and 2. address behavioral issues. We followed up a while ago with a second set of rads as his top line continued to change and found that the spinal processes that were previously impinging on each other were no longer touching. So, we started to slowly re-introduce riding and as he lets go of more and more of the pain responses, he is turning into a lovely horse. I am so happy that she was fully on board with giving him the time that he needed. I'll be honest, I felt that he was not the right horse for her and was fully on board with selling him should she choose to. We had many, many conversations about how to keep both of them safe during this process.

In any case, he's been a complete wingnut in the past when moving barns, and as he got off the trailer, he was doing his best to convince me that this was a terrible idea. But, he went right to work, and didn't put a foot wrong. So, I'm shocked, and incredibly happy for my student! (also, FYI- this is my student on board so please no crits on her, she's very much still a beginner. (Posted with her permission))
IMG_7276.jpg
IMG_7276.jpg (78.81 KiB) Viewed 204 times

IMG_7279.jpg
IMG_7279.jpg (222.9 KiB) Viewed 204 times

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Anne wrote:Heddy you crack me up! Glad you stayed aboard!!

Maia's a talented goof. Just a touch of half halt, and she rebalances and bounds forward beautifully. Slightly more half halt, and, no matter how much leg, we come to a screeching halt, and she's like "what now?!"

I normally use my breathing to meter her canter to something less than mach-10, but apparently I forgot that skill during our time off :lol:

Great job on Charm's rehab, Dresseur!

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 pm

Lovely- I thought that was you riding--- in a good way...I wish I was that good as a beginner. I don't ride that good even now.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks Rye. She's come a long way and under difficult circumstances. We haven't had a lot of time to really focus on her because we were so focused on keeping everyone safe. And, I'll say that I do tend to stamp mini-me's as riders lol, but I learned that from Andrea - who also stamps her dedicated riders.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Just plodding along here. Work has been a bit nuts, family in town and less than stellar weather have made for less riding than ideal, but we are making steady if slow progress, I feel. No clinic at the end of this month, but we'll live... Looking at getting something together for mid-May when the weather is nicer and everyone has had a chance to get over their winter PTSD.

It's starting to thaw here, the birds are singing in the morning, and I'm having to pump out my run in sheds, which is really a thoroughly nasty job!

blob
Herd Member

Postby blob » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Dressuer, what a great update! Charm looks great.

Work has been exceptionally busy the last few weeks, so i've had less riding time than ideal, which is a shame, especially since we have our show coming up this weekend. I'm waiting to get ride times and am crossing my fingers for early times (so I don't have all day to sit around and be nervous!).

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Had some good weekend events- clinic and lessons. I'm also signed up for some stuff in the summer now. Onwards and upwards! It looks like spring is finally on its way.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:26 pm

I saw daffodil greens poking through. We have had a couple of dry days, optimism abounds so much I pulled out the clippers and gave some horses the spa treatment before we rode.

LiG

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:57 pm

in a moment of madness I signed up to ride with Dawn White-O'Connor in 3 weeks time... better get our rears in gear!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 pm

Moutaineer wrote:in a moment of madness I signed up to ride with Dawn White-O'Connor in 3 weeks time... better get our rears in gear!

Awesome

Return to “Dressage Training”