Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May & June Goals & Progress

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 24, 2019 10:47 pm

90s? Sheesh.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 24, 2019 11:25 pm

The south or even the mid-south is not for everyone! The heat and humidity is real...as is the amazing rainfall where I live (next to a temperate rain forest). Add ticks, chiggers, biting flies, fire ants and venomous snakes to that mix, too...plus now armadillos! (we didn't used to have dillos in TN or NC).

I'm still thinking about that canter quality today. Wow. I had no idea :shock: What a good little mare. I'm such a dummy! :lol:

blob

Postby blob » Sat May 25, 2019 1:28 am

95 degrees here with humidity. Perfect weekend for a horse show :shock:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat May 25, 2019 2:03 am

blob wrote:95 degrees here with humidity. Perfect weekend for a horse show :shock:

Yes, classic! Stay hydrated and up the electrolytes for MM.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat May 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Good luck :)

khall

Postby khall » Sat May 25, 2019 2:27 pm

blob hope you don't pass out! The Conyers venue is hot to ride at I know. Hopefully you can warm up in the covered.

High 90's here, scorching these last few days. Dry unfortunately too. Will be able to pick up hay with no worry of rain though!

With all the canter work discussion I think I'm going to start a separate thread for it.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat May 25, 2019 11:41 pm

Bliss and I have been working very consistently at the basics. I had my first lesson in almost a year on Wednesday. I found a local trainer who has competed to Grand Prix who is willing to come out to my place on a regular basis. It was great and I look forward to working with her consistently.

We had some really nice consistent canter today. It was active, connected, and balanced.
4B23C99D-0DA1-475A-87ED-9F66AF228452.jpeg
4B23C99D-0DA1-475A-87ED-9F66AF228452.jpeg (64.89 KiB) Viewed 22715 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 26, 2019 1:41 am

Blob, looking forward to hearing how the show went!

Rosie, Bliss looks great there. I hope the new trainer relationship works out well for you!

I'll be riding Susan's Kyra again for a month or two, and with my crazy season at work behind me, I can focus on building Annabelle back up. We have her weaned off of drugs, and I'll be slowly adding time, as well as increasing transitions and figures over the next several weeks. I even tentatively told my instructor we might be up for a lesson in mid-July. Crossing my fingers that I didn't jinx myself there.

Tesla goes in to re-check her coffin joint OCD chip, and likely have it removed this week, so she'll be out of commission until August.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Nice canter, Rosie. It does look balanced and connected.

I like khall’s idea of starting a canter thread. It could include all kinds of canter work whether fcs or not. I need to get my canter more solidly connected and not on the forehand before I even start fcs but we’re getting there. Rocky is built for working cows and her trot used to be so on the forehand that I almost gave up trying to do dressage with her. It’s taken a few years but now I really like the balance of her trot. We’ve only just started (re-started really) the canter work. We have a lot of good moments, but still a fair numbe of bad moments, so we just need consistency.
C3A4C3B4-F854-48E6-B980-4E24FB339EB7.jpeg
C3A4C3B4-F854-48E6-B980-4E24FB339EB7.jpeg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 22661 times

I’m having trouble posting pics. I have another shot from the ride above which shows the problems we are having but the file is too large. I’ll try again later.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun May 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Ryeissa on Mon May 27, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Nice, Rye. Very similar in sequence to Rosie’s pic. I wonder if Bliss is on a circle. It looks like it. But what size? I would like to get a pic of Rocky in the same sequence but it takes me so long to get the screen shot and then get it down to a postable size. I can go the facebook route, but what a lot of fiddling around! And I don’t want to post the bad and the ugly pics on facebook anyway! I’m not cantering 10m circles yet but even a 20m comparison would be interesting (at least to me!).

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 pm

9235C9D0-F010-486D-AE0D-06A6EE0FE2BE.jpeg
9235C9D0-F010-486D-AE0D-06A6EE0FE2BE.jpeg (118.79 KiB) Viewed 22611 times

Not exactly but close. Right canter on 20m circle.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 27, 2019 2:24 am

Ryeissa wrote:What do you mean Flight? Diving down as is on the forehand? Equally onto both shoulders? Or rolling the shoulder to the side you want the change? More of a lateral dive?
Do you feel anything happening in the corresponding hip or the opposite hip when this shoulder moves in this direction? This will give you a clue how to fix it.

It's in the moment of asking for the change, that he will drop down onto the shoulder of the side of the upcoming change. I don't really feel what's happening behind, probably because there is no more room in my head to notice stuff at that moment!
I did notice on the vids when I was having trouble I was flexing him to the new side in the moment of the change, so that would have contributed to the above.
It's so hard doing it without someone on the ground helping, but at least videoing gives me a bit of a chance.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Flight wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:What do you mean Flight? Diving down as is on the forehand? Equally onto both shoulders? Or rolling the shoulder to the side you want the change? More of a lateral dive?
Do you feel anything happening in the corresponding hip or the opposite hip when this shoulder moves in this direction? This will give you a clue how to fix it.

It's in the moment of asking for the change, that he will drop down onto the shoulder of the side of the upcoming change. I don't really feel what's happening behind, probably because there is no more room in my head to notice stuff at that moment!
I did notice on the vids when I was having trouble I was flexing him to the new side in the moment of the change, so that would have contributed to the above.
It's so hard doing it without someone on the ground helping, but at least videoing gives me a bit of a chance.

He is probably (?) compensating for a weak hind leg, likely the new inside leg. Try bringing the haunches more in (so if you are changing to the right HI to the right...) I might be off base, but it works in the half pass. This is just a hint of it to load the hind legs equally. This is a variation of straightness and why its so important in FC...

blob

Postby blob » Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 am

Enjoying the canter conversations here and in the other thread. As well as the pictures and updates from everyone.

MM and I went to a show this weekend. After a very pleasant couple of weeks in weather, this past week suddenly jumped up into high temps--apparently the hottest memorial day weekend for the state in 65 years. Yikes! So it was definitely not ideal. I think by July both horses and riders have become used to the hotter temps, when things first get hot, it can be tough to adjust.

Luckily the stalls stayed quite cool for the horses. And instead of my normal show warm-up, I reduced down to a 15 minute warm up. We rode 3-1 both days. And it was very much a show with some highs and lows.

On Saturday I had a ride I felt good about. There were lots of silly mistakes on my part. But other than a few panic moments I felt good about the fact that I was able to think and ride through the test and didn't start thinking/worrying about changes until my canter work. So that felt like a big accomplishment, from a nerves perspective. And we got our first third level score for my bronze, woohoo!

Sunday was a far less successful day and I'm not totally sure what to make of the whole experience. Our test started out ok--much lower energy than usual, but the day was hotter than saturday, our ride was in the middle of the afternoon, and the sun was high and bright. But about halfway through the test, as we were getting to our canter work, MM took a few funny steps, fell out of the canter, and when I asked her back in she started hopping, like her hind legs were tied up. It wasn't bucking or naughty or anything like that, but like suddenly she didn't know where her hind legs were or how to use them. By then we'd lost a couple movements entirely ( the medium canter and the transitions in and out of medium canter) and the whole thing was so strange and unlike MM, I waived myself out of the test, not sure if she had somehow injured herself or what. I took her back to the warm up to figure out what was going on. I let her walk for a minute and then went to trot, she took another few funny steps and then began trotting perfectly normal. I picked up the canter and her canter felt as good as it ever does. I don't know if she cramped up or got distracted by something or what. I hate that our test ended up a non-test. But I'm very glad that MM seems perfectly fine now and don't regret my decision to waive myself out. I did get my test back after to see the scores that were judged. We had 7s on our half passes and 8s on halt reinback and the extended walk. So, that's encouraging for next time.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 28, 2019 12:21 am

How scary! I had that happen when my horse hit a deep patch. Glad she is ok!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue May 28, 2019 2:43 am

I posted in the young horse forum but will add pics here too. Story to follow as it's too late for a long post. It's been a tough 3 weeks so I'm just glad we made it. We accomplished what I wanted, even having to cut it short in the heat. No canter pics (we worked on relaxing at the canter and getting the right lead) as the photographer (DH) switched to video right after these shots. These were from the beginning of my lesson. Starting SI and getting his hind end, especially right hind to come under. He wants to be down in his right shoulder. He was a good boy. I just need to remember to look up (I did after this.

I also want to catch up on the canter conversations.
Attachments
_DSC2213 - Edited.jpg
_DSC2213 - Edited.jpg (183.86 KiB) Viewed 22499 times
_DSC2103 - Edited.jpg
_DSC2103 - Edited.jpg (180.27 KiB) Viewed 22499 times
_DSC2164 - Edited.jpg
_DSC2164 - Edited.jpg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 22499 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 28, 2019 3:58 am

Well, it's been a long afternoon and evening on colic watch with Laddie... but all seems to be OK now.

I've just been back down to the barn and done a late check on him and we have had a good visit from the poop fairy, he's drunk a bucket of water and mugged me for his night hay and a carrot.

Ugh. Horses, Glass of wine here I come.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Ugh! Continued jingles for Laddie.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 28, 2019 1:08 pm

Lovely Chantal- love the B&W
Jingles for Laddie!

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Here’s a picture that shows both my weakness and Rocky’s. Actually it just shows my weakness, I’ll try to get a screenshot of the moment before this one where she is pulling on the left rein so that I can’t influence her with the outside (right) rein. The kind of canter balance I’m asking for is difficult for her right now and she tries to take the rein control from me. Because it’s hard for me when she does this, especially when she is evading the outside rein, I resort to using my inside (left) hand to tell her “look in”.

From looking at this picture, I again feel that Mountaineer’s suggestion to lift a little on the inside rein (as opposed to pulling in like I am doing in the pic) is going to help me. As she said: this will help her lift her inside shoulder and give her somewhere to come through with the outside hind. It’ll also change my balance a bit so I sit back and more on my outside seat bone.

If I can manage what Mountaineer says, the next step I can see will be to put her in a little left shoulder fore when she does this.

2D9F625D-9B48-4D58-BC28-48F78C1D97E4.jpeg
2D9F625D-9B48-4D58-BC28-48F78C1D97E4.jpeg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 22445 times
Last edited by demi on Tue May 28, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Well, shoot. The above post was meant for the canter thread.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 28, 2019 2:31 pm

For this thread:

I love your pics Chantal.

Blob, glad that you had a good experience on the first day inspite of the heat. I think you were wise to pull out on the second day when MM had a glitch. Hopefully it was just a cramping due to the added stress of the heat.

Mountianeer, keep us posted on Laddie. All fingers crossed for good luck.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 28, 2019 4:49 pm

Jingling like mad for Lad, Moutaineer!

I snuck a ride in in-between rain storms on Sunday but that was it for the entire weekend. My arena is amazing though. It had puddles of water all day Friday and Saturday morning. By Sunday puddles were gone even though it was drizzling on and off all day, and by Sunday afternoon the footing was firm enough to ride on normally. Unfortunately, I only got Tio ridden before big, black thunder clouds moved in and drove me back indoors. Monday we got 0.75" of rain, which means puddles and goo everywhere again. I'm dying to work on the canter stuff with Rudy, and I don't want to complain about rain but this is getting a tad frustrating. Tio, btw, was once again, very fun to ride in and out of the arena, even when the neighbor horses charged up to see him as we rode by. I can't wait to sort his canter too, but for now it's lots of transitions in and out to rebuild strength and balance.

ETA: I am still walking at least a mile a day and on Saturday I did 3 miles in 45 min, wandering around all the sodden fields and down the railroad tracks. Don't know if it's helping me lose weight, but the dogs are loving it and I do feel more fit. I also downloaded Equilab--can't wait to try it out.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 28, 2019 11:10 pm

Laddie says thank you to you all for your concern but he's feeling perfectly fine today and doesn't know what I'm fussing about...

Blob, how is MM doing? Has she ever tied up?

Chantal, that horse is just a stunner--you look pretty good too :)

I'll be interested to see if that helps, Demi. You know how when you go to a clinic, you really hope to come away with at least one illuminating "ah-hah!" moment? This was one of those precious nuggets for me last weekend.

blob

Postby blob » Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 am

Moutaineer wrote:
Blob, how is MM doing? Has she ever tied up?

So glad to hear Laddie is feeling better!

MM hasn't ever tied up before. It's possible that's what happened on Sunday, but honestly I'm not sure what happened. It was such a weird moment and then moments later back in the warm up she was totally fine as if nothing had happened.

She got yesterday and today off, but I was at the barn to ride RP and groom/check on her. Luckily she seems exactly like her normal self.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed May 29, 2019 12:41 am

Oh Laddie, so glad to hear he's feeling better. He'd better be extra nice to you Moutaineer! I love the pic from your clinic. And thank you :D I'm a little over the moon with my guy. He's really maturing.

Thank you all, DH took the pics. I love video as I can relive the lesson a little better but a few pics are really nice to have.

As for canter, ugh. The left lead is okay, I have to be careful not to shut him down with my hands or seat, post up to the outside shoulder. She had me keep my right hand on the withers and open my left rein, both directions to keep the right shoulder up. She said we will switch that (left hand on withers and right hand open) once I get him consistent. And the right lead I couldn't figure out again today. We got it once and left it there, no stressing. I have a lesson with my instructor Friday so we'll play more then with the canter. I'll keep working on the trot, keeping the right shoulder up and keeping him straight both directions. And giving.

We had the worst few weeks leading up to the clinic, him then me with an RA flare. And he banged his heel on the trailer and cut it the day of so I was pretty uptight by time we got there. But it all worked out.

I will keep dreaming of canter work at the level you guys are doing it. I'm hoping to have a lesson on the mare I hunt on as she is also a higher dressage horse (goes to training for 2 months every summer). I can do canter work on her and boy would that be fun, and educational.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Wed May 29, 2019 4:51 am

Sue B wrote:Jingling like mad for Lad, Moutaineer!
I also downloaded Equilab--can't wait to try it out.

I did that too. And an intervall timer. Used Equilab in my lesson on sunday and both doing a little conditioning yesterday. Like it.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 am

I have a show next weekend. Sitting trot is terrible. I'm currently terrible at it, and everything is terrible, and we are going to be terrible. Yay shows...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu May 30, 2019 10:39 am

Oh Mari, I'm sure it isn't terrible! But I do hope you have a good show. I'm doing one on Saturday and choosing to do Novice so I can do rising trot ;)

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri May 31, 2019 12:12 pm

Flight wrote:Oh Mari, I'm sure it isn't terrible! But I do hope you have a good show. I'm doing one on Saturday and choosing to do Novice so I can do rising trot ;)

I'm less sure :lol: But I'm going to have to go out and suck at this level for a bit before I can get better. Good luck for Saturday!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Good luck to those with upcoming shows!

chantal your boy is just lovely and you two look great together.

P and I are both learning to carry ourselves better and doing a TON more canter. I present blurry photographic evidence. Still a lot of work to do but I'm pretty happy with our good moments.

demi

Postby demi » Fri May 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Nice picture Imperini. Looks like you're doing your homework!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 31, 2019 3:43 pm

ohh nice! is he getting lighter?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Wah, I can't see the beautiful Pal photos...just shows a broken link.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Fri May 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Autumn's leg injury is healing beautifully (and I am so thankful!). We've been doing a lot of walking over the last month - on the trail and in the arena. I've taken the opportunity to re-assess horse and rider straightness through lots of lateral work. Not what I planned for May, but it has been productive nonetheless.

Oh, and mare loves the new barn and 24/7 turnout. Now that all of the stalled horses have moved to night turnout, she is just SOOOOO TIRED in the morning after what I presume is an all-night mare party in the big field. :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm

:)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri May 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Imperini, your horse is lovely!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri May 31, 2019 7:41 pm

Good to hear that Autumn's injury is healing well quinta.

I'm sorry I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to see the photos piedmontfields unless maybe you're accessing from somewhere that's blocking the site hosting the images.

Thank you demi and Kelo!

I'm guessing you were asking if Pal is getting lighter Ryeissa? She's getting lighter in multiple ways, color a little bit more every year, weight a bit I think (hope), and in the bridle too :lol:

I guess I can do a bit of a write up to go with the new pics. Not sure if any of it will be useful to anyone else because it's pretty basic but I know sometimes even the smallest basic changes can make a huge difference so I'll throw it out there just in case.

Regarding the position right now mostly just focusing on building new muscle memory so the positional changes feel more natural and automatic. This will hopefully help with what I feel is a problem with being firm but following vs rigid. Still better than what I used to see in my riding which was a whole lot of floppiness. Mantra while riding right now is shoulders down and back (check rein length), up from the button at the top of my helmet/extend the middle, swivel the barstool (circles). My right shoulder tends to start wanting to creep up to my ear and then I collapse through the middle on the left. Fixing this means Pal doesn't have to struggle to compensate for me being crooked. Shoulders down and back puts my arms in a better position so I don't feel like I have straight out zombie arms to keep my hands in front of me. Sometimes still ending up with my hands too far back and the reins get long. Still the connection is better most of the time and I have found a better balance between contact vs holding and that's been particularly helpful at the canter because Pal is entirely responsible for holding herself up and together but I'm right there to offer help when needed. I'm finding canter more favorable than trot lately and that's interesting to me because I've always been more of a trot person. I had trouble being against the canter rather than with it as well as wanting to hold too much. Not entirely happy with my leg position all around but giving my upper leg and shorter stirrup length some slack due to the disagreeable hips. Lower legs get no slack and need to improve. Hard to keep track of everything because a lot of it is pretty new but the more I work at it the easier it will get.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 31, 2019 8:27 pm

Imperini wrote:I'm guessing you were asking if Pal is getting lighter Ryeissa? She's getting lighter in multiple ways, color a little bit more every year, weight a bit I think (hope), and in the bridle too :lol:

yes! she looks lighter in COLOR..... :lol: I should probably be more specific.

demi

Postby demi » Fri May 31, 2019 11:07 pm

I am really happy with my ride today. I think Rocky is getting a little stronger and I am working through my contact/rein length issues. I’ll soon do another video for comparison. My last vid was May 9th so I’ll see if I can actually see the difference that I think I feel. I will post it on the canter thread.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:27 am

Yay, I can now see Pal! I think it was server issues. Looks like tons of positive progress. Well done.

Glad to hear of other good news (Autumn) and good rides (Rocky).

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:19 am

Imperini, you and Pal both look great!

Tesla had her OCD surgery on Wednesday, and also got a funky warty thing out of her ear while she was under. I pulled the bandage this morning and am amazed at how tiny the two incisions are. It turns out she will only be on stall rest for 2 weeks, then cleared for business as usual. As I told someone today, now I'm a bit wide-eyed since I'll need to get serious about prepping her for backing in early fall.

Annabelle is getting one final radiograph on Monday, so fingers crossed that it looks good and she can get her shoes pulled in two weeks, and finally start turnout a bit after that.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Wow Imperini! I like your horse, and love the canter photo. I have dreams of looking like that at the canter...

I love to read how everyone is working and training. So inspiring!

Wishing for quick healing and back to the fun for you StraightForward.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Imperini - You guys have clearly come a long way! She looks nicely balanced in the canter photo especially.

Chantal - Mikey is stunning. :) He looks like a great partner for you and I'm excited to see how you guys progress.

Mari - looking forward to hearing your show report!

Bliss and I have been clocking 5 rides a week pretty steadily now. He's feeling very good. I have my second lesson this Thursday - hopefully the instructor is pleased with the progress we've made since the last lesson. :)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Impirini, you and Pal look super. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rosie, happy for you that you can now ride regularly. Bliss is such a handsome lad.

SF, I hope Tesla is continuing to recover well from her surgery and that Annabelle gets cleared for regular work now.

Chantal, Mikey is looking gorgeous and it is so wonderful to see how happy you are with him.

Mari, show report!

The rains finally settled down after multiple deluges during the week, and so I got to ride Friday, Saturday AND Sunday! Woot, woot! Using my Equilab, I have discovered I work Rudy roughly 45 min and Tio 40 min per session, with the majority of that time spent in walk. Equilab seems to be having a hard time thought, discerning which gait I'm actually in, however, so I'm not sure how much time I actually spend in the walk vs the other gaits except for when I'm riding down the road. It's a fun app though, and I think I just need to read all the directions so I can figure out how to make adjustments.

With all the discussion of late, about cantering and fc's I was dying to try out different suggestions discussed here and on the other thread with Rudy. Who ever said to do cc, renvers to si and fc will come easily, nailed it for Rudy and I. Granted, I only asked for L-R, but that's usually the harder way for him. I think it worked, because I was able to just sit quietly and ask, without all the stupid gyrations I usually get myself into. So thank you, thank you, thank you! I couldn't play with it again yesterday, unfortunately, because Rudy's feet are getting a touch tender even in my arena so I didn't want to push him to do something he wasn't quite comfortable with. We did other work in the trot instead and a bunch of lateral work in trot and canter. Also had some lovely rides down farm roads each day either before or after ring work.

Tio got an extra couple of rides last week in-between storms as I prioritized him over Rudy in my quest to keep his weight sort of under control. He is continuing to be very responsive and even takes corrective taps of the whip without either shutting down or flinging his hind quarters around. Yesterday, I took him down the road before doing arena work and so he had to learn to work through being a little tired from the ride out. AT first he kept diving down onto my hands, wanting me to carry him and hold him up. My strategy of keeping elbows firmly at my own hips and using my core to resist worked very well, however, it did take awhile to convince him I wasn't going to cave. The great thing about it was that for the first time, I could confidently send him forward with legs or even a tap of my whip and develop a bit of cadence as well of length of stride in the trot. We also worked on straightness in t-w-h-w-t, which required the kid to actually USE that big ol' butt of his. :lol:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:01 am

Great ride updates, Sue. It was Ponichiwa who described the CC renvers to shoulder in as a way to making flying changes rain down on you! Well done. I have not done too much with this (mostly focussing just on the CC renvers to improve canter quality), but one time I did try it kind of blew Emi's mind (she is a horse who likes to know what the job is--no surprises). So she halted squarely. Then I asked for the new lead and she was right there, so I still think we can use this secret to help us!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:27 am

Someone showed me this book:
https://www.amazon.com.au/HORSES-VOICE- ... ext&sr=1-1

It's very good! Although now I look at my photos and cringe!!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:04 am

I've been off of Rip since his tooth extraction. Still working on line and in hand in the caveson. Had to have the vet out today to take a look at the extraction site. It is not healing well. He has developed a dry socket and it is not granulating in. May have to go back in and debride the site. Still on antibiotics. Vet said to try him riding since it is the canine since I do have a clinic coming up this weekend. Dang horses always something.

Joplin is butt high right now and because of this was hanging in her stifles slightly. I've been working her over caveletti to help strengthen those stifles and it is helping. Vet did some chiro and acupuncture (first acupuncture she was not sure she liked it!) said to take it a bit easy for a bit.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:18 pm

demi wrote:Actually, I need to think about this some more. I should have some better goals. No lofty goals, just doable goals.

Video may help with that, as you may be able to get suggestions for what kinds of goals would make sense at this point? You may get conflicting suggestions, but you can always discuss them with your real life trainer(s) to see what they think? Ultimately, the path you choose is yours, but sometimes it helps to learn what others think they would probably do based upon what they can see in the videos.

Return to “Dressage Training”