Pivo self video--anyone?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
ElaPe
Novice

Re: Pivo self video--anyone?

Postby ElaPe » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:25 pm

So after months of following the FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PivoHorseRidingCommunity/ finally I got my own Pivo Silver for 129$. I have my own tripod.

I am using IPhone 7 and did set up all the setting exactly as specified in the check list (can be found on the FB group in the document tab).
I placed the tripod in the middle of the riding ring.

Pivo and the phone worked perfectly the entire ride. It only lost us once for a few seconds when I rode too close, but once We reappeared in the view, it continued following and filming us.

Recording, which is 45 min long, has been automatically saved both in the Pivo app as well as in photos on the IPhone.
All in all I am very, very satisfied with Pivo and how it worked - it clearly did much better job than a person would do and didn’t complain about anything at all contrary to my usual recording person (my husband).

Here is 7 minutes out of the 45 minutes recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPC21icZXZk

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:04 pm

That’s awesome ElaPe!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:55 am

DH gave me a pivo for Christmas :) It's charging. I'll experiment tomorrow.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:25 pm

ElaPe Wow. Your Pivo really likes you! Mine gets finicky when it's overcast. I think you have a quieter area. There is always car noise from the street at my barn and various distractions, so it gets stuck and turns to look at other things. I definitely find it likes the sun better. And yours does better close up!

heddylamar--Yeah! You'll love it! Best money I ever spent.

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Tanga wrote:ElaPe Wow. Your Pivo really likes you! Mine gets finicky when it's overcast. I think you have a quieter area. There is always car noise from the street at my barn and various distractions, so it gets stuck and turns to look at other things. I definitely find it likes the sun better. And yours does better close up!

The quality of video including better/worse close ups depends on the phone that one is using and the phone's parameters. I was using Iphone7 so it is quite an old one, I know that newer, better phones can take even better videos.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:46 am

I finally set up my pivo and will try it tomorrow during a quick catch ride. What height do you guess place your camera at?

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:50 am

Lipsmacker, I put my on the judge's stand or a post of the arena. So I'm guessing about 4-4.5 feet from the ground. My horse is 15 h. The key is to not be super close to it or it will lose you.
I haven't used mine in a while but it's charging right now for tomorrow.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:02 am

I have a stand for mine, so about 5'.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:28 am

I put mine on a upright in the middle of the arena ... or on the seat of one of the plastic lawn chairs in the corner when it's stupid windy, so 80% or rides since I got it? :lol: Our arena is on top of a hill ... even with the back of the chair sheltering it, the pivo gets pushed around in the wind.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:30 am

Thanks guys. Fingers crossed that I'm successful with it tomorrow.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:18 pm

Wind can be our nemesis and a stinker of a mustang who has gone out to attack my camera and pivo or photo-bombed so that it starts tracking him instead of Junior......lol.............while I'm riding; but, like the others have said I put mine at about 5 feet high which works well for all 3 of mine - 14.2 hands, 15 hands and 15.1 hands.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:51 pm

I dont have a Pivo yet. Current phone isnt good enough! But I do have an old camcorder that I set up in the corner of the arena and catch a lot of my ride (albeit in poor quality). Of course important stuff invariably happens in the "blind" corner :lol:

But do you have the experience of the ride often not matching your initial feelings about it? Of course there are the shoulder-ins that are seen to be neck ins (and vice versa) , but I am talking more generally. It seems like I will have a ride that I feel really good about it and then look at it and see I need more of this, less of that. Friday I did not feel good about my ride as he was worried about a "monster" in the corner. But it looked way better on video!

I guess some of my takeaways are that my mood affects my perception of my ride more than I realized; and that any struggles are usually way less obvious than I thought. Good to know especially if I ever show again.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:52 pm

MsM wrote:I dont have a Pivo yet. Current phone isnt good enough! But I do have an old camcorder that I set up in the corner of the arena and catch a lot of my ride (albeit in poor quality). Of course important stuff invariably happens in the "blind" corner :lol:

But do you have the experience of the ride often not matching your initial feelings about it? Of course there are the shoulder-ins that are seen to be neck ins (and vice versa) , but I am talking more generally. It seems like I will have a ride that I feel really good about it and then look at it and see I need more of this, less of that. Friday I did not feel good about my ride as he was worried about a "monster" in the corner. But it looked way better on video!

I guess some of my takeaways are that my mood affects my perception of my ride more than I realized; and that any struggles are usually way less obvious than I thought. Good to know especially if I ever show again.

Yes absolutely! I'm usually surprised one way or the other either for good or bad lol.

Well tried to use the Pivo. I thought I had it all figured out at home and then when I got to the barn I couldn't find the horse mode icon. I will try again this week!

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:18 am

Well I was able to try my new Pivo out in the arena for the first time this morning. It was a very irritating hour of trying to get it to work, but I did finally get it going, and got about 10 min or so in clips. The videos I did get, it tracked me well.

I have an older model iphone, and the 10 min of video and an hour of being connected to the Pivo drained about 50%+ of my battery. Is this just because my phone is old? I have read some people do some kind of battery pack hookup to aid with this issue, so that is a thought for the future.

I think I will like it in the future, when I get the hang of using it. (I sure didn’t like it so good today, lol.)

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:35 am

Pivo works pretty well for me. I put it on the side of the arena at about 1.2 metres high. It lost me once the other night because I made it look right into the sun, which I know you shouldn't do, but it picked me up again when I rode past.

The camera is better on my soloshot than on my phone but pivo is little and easy to set up.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.26.57 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.26.57 pm.png (118.49 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

Return to “Dressage Training”