May the horse be with you. And June

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May the horse be with you. And June

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 18, 2024 3:09 am

Moutaineer wrote:Tell us more, Chisamba!

Off to a schooling show at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I was working this morning but the rest of the gang went over to school. They say the footing is terrible. Ugh. Its the venue for the two local rated shows that I was planning to go to this summer, but if its that bad, we may need to rethink our plans.

I hope the show, and the footing, work out ok.

About Pauletta, possibly to be called Letta? Long version .

13 years ago I lost Kaira who was my young hope. I had bought Kaira, an Amish bred mare, from an " English " broker, ie a person who buys amish bred horses and uses social media to sell them at quite an up mark in price. Iso much liked Kaira and was so impressed with her u immediately sought another and Got Deneb, who was supposedly her sister. Well I'm stupid bur nor that stupid, when I sent off hairs for DNA Kaira was a Sandokan (KWPN) daughter bred by Fishers and Deneb was a saddlebred Guy o shea daughter bred by Simpsons. So imagine that, a lying broker. Lmao.

Anyway, it took me a few years because of the absence of social media etc amoung the Amish to locate Christ Fisher, and I first visited his farm , a few years ago. People talk about Amish horses as tooth they are the dregs of society, but this guy imports his stallions, breeds KWPN, and sells his horses above my pay grade. But he owned the stallion, Sandokan, who sired Kaira. I wanted to send Kimba to him to ne bred this year, but 2 things. First if I breed a foal and it's born next year it will be rideable in 4 to 5 years when I am 68 and do I really want to start a baby at 68 to try to get to PSG by the time I am, oh, 75 because I'm slow. Lol
And problem 2, Sandokan died this winter.

So Pauletta, she was sent to an agent to sell in Florida, got habronema muscae lesions horribly around her fetlocks and so she came home unsold with scars that are an eyesore and will take some healing, so her price dropped into range.

Affordable AND related to Kaira, I even see a resemblance ad I ride past the mirror. I couldn't pass her up. So I sold Honey and brought Pauletta home. I've just started backing her, she took the saddle like a champ but a human on her back was unexpected, she informed me, lol. She had been driven not ridden.

She just turned 5 so right age, she is a bit up and down with her knees but I think when she relaxes her back into the connection she will have more scope.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat May 18, 2024 5:04 am

That's very exciting, Chisamba! I shall look forward to following her progress.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sat May 18, 2024 3:06 pm

Congratulations! I love it when long held dreams become real. I’ll enjoy watching/hearing about Letta progress.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat May 18, 2024 7:19 pm

That is so cool, Chisamba! So fun to have new ones. BTW, if you ever want to come and compete PSG, let me know and I'll lend you a horse. Both seem to be pretty happy with other riders.

Show tomorrow with a judge I like, Janet Curtis. We have to drive a bit, but it should be OK. Quinn's GP fs feels great, and I am going to 100% ignore if she messes up the one tempi changes, which I'm sure is all my fault because of tension. If she messed up and get a 4, no biggie. She's doing so well on everything else. It will be interesting to see the feedback on the extended trots. My leasor is going to do Quilla at 3-1, which should be fine and fun.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 18, 2024 11:59 pm

Congratulations Chisamba. I think it's fate that the two of you found each other. Looking forward to read about the adventures ahead. Well the schooling show was not exactly what I had hoped; but, to be fair I took on too much. I agreed to get my rides over with first thing in the morning so that I could work at the show as a volunteer. I also agreed to the ride times not really paying attention to them; so, I rode Junior at 4-1 at 8:00 AM, then Brandon was to be at 8:30 and 8:50 with 2-1 and 2-2. Unfortunately the judge started late and still expected me to ride Brandon on time. I knew with helping put on the show I would probably cheat Junior out of an ample warm up and I ended up riding both boys with less than 10 minutes of warm up at a new facility that they'd never schooled at before on top of not having access to a dressage court for a couple of months. Definitely a recipe not to be repeated. I'm actually proud of Junior. We scored a 59.5 and though our single flying changes were scored a 5 and 5.5 (each direction) the comment was croup high but they were FLYING AND OTHERWISE CLEAN. I was so stoked. Now the line of three changes sucked for wind but I had lost any hope for suppleness by the time I came around for the last pass that I wasn't surprised. I really haven't been working on those on purpose. Again I was told my pony had an unfortunate walk, hocks out behind in the trot work and was overall too tight in the back; but, knowing where we had come from and the conditions I had put myself in as well as my pony, I now there's hope.

Poor Brandon was just beside himself. We scored in the mid 50s because I had a belligerently obedient horse. He did everything he was supposed to do where he was supposed to do it but was against the hand and had his tongue hanging out for much of the test. The tongue and hand issue always is there when he's tense, unhappy and just doesn't want to be there. Unfair of me to put him in that position. I should have hauled him over to the venue at some point before the show and familiarized him with the grounds. He didn't spook, bolt or try to unseat me at any time which I can't say is true of several of the rides today. He's a conundrum for me with his emotional side but he's not unsafe or dirty. I have two lessons tomorrow so I hope to get more input on whether I should scratch the June show or not. I likely won't; but, not sure what miracles I can pull out in one month's time.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun May 19, 2024 4:37 am

Today's show went OK. My main takeaway is that we have all the pieces and parts together fairly competently, we just need to present them with more boldness.

We had a couple of annoying errors--an expensive break at the canter and a miscount in the otherwise really good rein back and a step out in the turn on the haunches, but most marks were lost by my not pushing enough in the mediums and extensions, so they got us a couple of 5s. We ended up with a 60 and change.

But, in my defense, the footing wasn't so much bad as non-existant. I really didn't feel like pushing him on whats basically gravel.

But all in all not a horrible start to the season. Solid stuff to work on that I feel capable of improving.

Potters was a perfect gentleman. We have made great strides in trust and confidence in each other.

And now I'm off to Sicily for 2 weeks for some much needed R&R!

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Sun May 19, 2024 8:34 pm

Tanga, Chisamba, etc, great and interesting posts.

The world I inhabit, like I think many of you, is so far removed from those riders. Where my goals are practically zilch and my idea of a horse's "disobedience" (aka feedback from the horse) is a tail swat or a brace. I put a flash on my yellow horse, and he expressed his dislike of it by sneezing repeatedly during the ride.....so I took it off and he won't be asked to wear it again, and his noseband is nothing but decoration. But I do ask him to put up with all my nonsense, asking him to do athletic things which are hard for him and tote me around and be willing about it. It's a delicate balance, for sure.

I have, unfortunately, had experience with a horse who, if he had one wish from a genie, would wish for all humans to disappear forever. But most of my horses have been happy to be around people, even if it means they're ridden.

That's, of course, nothing like those international riders, who have to produce intense results from explosive horses under great time pressure. The sport does get a little twisted to fit.

I don't know what the answer is, but I suppose I'll just continue in my little world, where my horses will literally leave a grass pasture to come greet me. Even knowing full well that they'll get a halter on and get worked. And it might take me months or years to get a decent demonstration of any given exercise.

Flight wrote:It looked a bit windy in the vid too, another impressive landscape with the dark sky background.

It was actually fairly average for where I live. lol It's very windy here! And I don't have one of those fancy water trucks that will wet the ground down so it doesn't blow.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon May 20, 2024 3:30 am

We had a pretty good show today, too. A longer drive than usual, which I think helps Quinn 'cuz she has time to chill. I warmed her up lightly and did nice one tempis. For the GP it all went pretty well except basically no one tempis (literally, I think we did one) but I stayed mostly relaxed and ignored it, and we did a nice test. 60%. We did the GP FS for the first time and it was pretty damn good. We missed one of the one tempis. 67% with Jan Curtis. Lesson learned. She knows the one tempis--ignore mistakes. Exvet--I get the same comments on Quinn--not sitting enough, hocks not under enough. We can only do what the horse can do.

My friend did Quilla at 3-1 for the first time and pretty well with a 62 an 64%. She is on a very high learning curve! (Three weeks ago she did her first show with her at 1-1 and 2-1.) She even got a clean change! (Quilla will just do a change late behind if you just take a new outside rein, but if you actually put a new outside leg on and don't lean into the new lead, she will change clean. Hard for a person taught to put the inside leg on and lean forward in a change!) Quilla is totally having fun. She got some 8's on halts and walk pirouettes and a 4 for bend in the wrong direction in a half circle (which was good, because I've been trying to explain that to her and she's having a hard time feeling it.) She trotted into both walk canter transitions and the judge got her--she knows, but gets stuck into the same leaning to the inside and Quilla just doesn't know what that means. Her big words for today were KEEP the outside rein, float the inside, LOOK where you are going, and flop your seat and go for that easier to sit collected work--she mostly got it. She got lot of comments on a lovely horse. :)

Kelo1 It sounds like you and your horses have a great life. We all have different goals and they're all fine. I love the sneezing. Quinn puts her head down when she gets really unhappy, so must avoid anything that causes that.

Mountaineer--And that's the attitude we have. We can only do what we can on each day and if you came out with a solid plan for the future, all good, right?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue May 21, 2024 2:56 am

The packers have come and gone. I've moved 20+ times, and this is the first move I can recall where they did pack and load in one day. And I got all of the last minute cleaning done too. We're ahead of schedule! I told the DH that I'm going riding tomorrow :lol: (Maybe!) The cars get picked up tomorrow (time tbd), and DH does not drive my truck happily or well unless the horse trailer is attached.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 21, 2024 1:00 pm

Safe travels, Heddy!

Well done to those of you out there showing.

Great to see a video of your nice yellow boy Kelo, glad you are enjoying him so much!

The past 9 days or so T has gotten a break. She ended up sore after throwing a shoe, but after a couple days of Magic Cushion, she was at least sound before I left for a 5 day trip to FL. Got back Sunday night and it took me two days to get everything prepped and finally get the shoes back on, then it was getting dark, so I didn't ride. My Brockamp bareback pad was waiting for me when I got home, so I did pop on with that and toodle around at a walk, but that doesn't count. Really nice BB pad, I'm glad I splurged, and at the rate I'll use it, it will probably last me my riding lifetime. T did seem to let down and settle in while I was gone, and is doing well in turnout now, so hopefully we'll be in a new routine soon enough.

Tonight I am determined to get back in the saddle. There is a show weekend after next where the first day is schooling and second day is recognized. I feel like I should go and at least try to pick up my 2nd first level score, but I'm markedly un-enthused. Arranging a mini-clinic with the eventers/jumpers I worked with a little last fall, and hopefully we'll be able to get them down once a month or so as long as weather allows.
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue May 21, 2024 4:20 pm

Heddy, hope all your critters, self and "stuff" arrive in MD in perfect condition! Give us a shout here when you get a break from the trip and unpacking! Sorry to see you leave TX.

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 23, 2024 3:40 pm

It’s so much fun reading everyone’s updates!

Chisamba what a beautiful young mare! So excited for you:)

Exvet the show sounds like you were stretched pretty thin. Good on you though for volunteering. Volunteers are such an important part of shows. I’ve done so in the past even have run schooling shows but not something I’ve done more recently and definitely difficult trying to show and volunteer.

Aleuronx yeah for your 3 rd level debut! You’ve done such a nice job with Kora

Heddy hope the move goes smoothly!

Mountaineer sounds like a good outing and ya e a great vacation!

Kelo your guy looks like a gem.

Blob hopefully you are getting some rides in. Ugh the heat I think is here in Georgia though.

If I’ve missed anyone I still so enjoy reading all the updates. Keep them coming!

Mine is upcoming Cedar clinic that is full. And Joplin having so much fun! Working on walk thinking piaffe for better engagement boy does it help the trot! Working on forward back to collection in all gaits. Working on FCs and piaffe and active short trot. It’s all about keeping her soft and engaged. And adding power when I can. I need to add in a bit of power for the changes and bless Joplin she stays with me so well and no tension about it. R to L is clean with big jump L to R is almost clean I think she’s ready for more power in the L to get the better change. Straightness is key. Piaffe work helps with strength and straightness. Last L to R her canter after the change was phenomenal.

Picture showing the power we are now starting to tap into
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/SKLabKM7FL2t7bRW/?

Stay cool all here dealing with summer heat and happy riding!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 24, 2024 2:19 pm

Hope you have a great clinic, Khall!

We've put together a mini jumping clinic for Monday, and will hopefully have a little bigger one next month. I've been hard at work building up my set of jumps. The BO is so nice letting us have a few haul-ins to make it happen. I have to say I am enjoying the smaller barn with only four boarders. I popped T through a little grid last night and she did well. I noticed she is looking pudgy, so we'll need to work on that. Maybe a little less breakfast on days she's going out onto that nice green grass. Not feeding enough is not an issue at the new place! After the jumping, I decided a little more work wouldn't hurt her, so we did some CC. Once she got more in front of my leg, we had some really good CC both directions, and I felt her sort of get into alignment and start stepping through. So new goal is to make sure we do some CC every ride.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:31 pm

It's been awhile! Every once in awhile I popped them to read but I'm glad to read about everything. I'm always rooting everyone on!

Lynx has been back to light work for a few months and I just started riding again (I was in a car accident and the airbags severely bruised my calves and even months down the road I still have some pain.) Lynx isn't a 100% And maybe he never will be I don't know. But he greets me at the gate, puts his own bridle on practically, is good to tack up and mount. And he always seems happy under saddle, he never pins his ears or anything and seems kind of excited to do stuff. He also seems to get better with work so we're cautiously continuing on to build muscle.

I'm not going to lie as long as he seems happy and work and doesn't get worse I'm going to stay on this path. For my own mental health I need to be in the saddle even if it's just walk!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 25, 2024 5:55 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:It's been awhile! Every once in awhile I popped them to read but I'm glad to read about everything. I'm always rooting everyone on!

Lynx has been back to light work for a few months and I just started riding again (I was in a car accident and the airbags severely bruised my calves and even months down the road I still have some pain.) Lynx isn't a 100% And maybe he never will be I don't know. But he greets me at the gate, puts his own bridle on practically, is good to tack up and mount. And he always seems happy under saddle, he never pins his ears or anything and seems kind of excited to do stuff. He also seems to get better with work so we're cautiously continuing on to build muscle.

I'm not going to lie as long as he seems happy and work and doesn't get worse I'm going to stay on this path. For my own mental health I need to be in the saddle even if it's just walk!

You know our mustang, Ace, was injured soon after (8-9 months in) I obtained him and after he was gelded. Junior and he were playing rough and I guess he just stepped or landed wrong. It's somewhere in his hip/SI area. I did try to treat him though hauling anywhere to get shockwave or anything like that was out of the question (he was still very wary of anything out of the ordinary which still has a very finite definition). He did get better with dressage riding and strengthening exercises but not 100%. I've now had him almost 8 years. With regular trail riding and turn out he's improved even more and can hold a canter both directions without breaking. He's a gorgeous mover but forward will never be in his vocabulary. His purpose is to be a safe trail mount for my SO. I use dressage to keep him tuned up; but, he's fulfilling his obligation/job in exchange for a roof over his head and groceries. I'm quite fine with him never showing or going to a clinic. I know he continues to help my sanity in more ways than one.

Nice to hear from you :)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat May 25, 2024 6:46 pm

exvet wrote:
Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:It's been awhile! Every once in awhile I popped them to read but I'm glad to read about everything. I'm always rooting everyone on!

Lynx has been back to light work for a few months and I just started riding again (I was in a car accident and the airbags severely bruised my calves and even months down the road I still have some pain.) Lynx isn't a 100% And maybe he never will be I don't know. But he greets me at the gate, puts his own bridle on practically, is good to tack up and mount. And he always seems happy under saddle, he never pins his ears or anything and seems kind of excited to do stuff. He also seems to get

You know our mustang, Ace, was injured soon after (8-9 months in) I obtained him and after he was gelded. Junior and he were playing rough and I guess he just stepped or landed wrong. It's somewhere in his hip/SI area. I did try to treat him though hauling anywhere to get shockwave or anything like that was out of the question (he was still very wary of anything out of the ordinary which still has a very finite definition). He did get better with dressage riding and strengthening exercises but not 100%. I've now had him almost 8 years. With regular trail riding and turn out he's improved even more and can hold a canter both directions without breaking. He's a gorgeous mover but forward will never be in his vocabulary. His purpose is to be a safe trail mount for my SO. I use dressage to keep him tuned up; but, he's fulfilling his obligation/job in exchange for a roof over his head and groceries. I'm quite fine with him never showing or going to a clinic. I know he continues to help my sanity in more ways than one.

Nice to hear from you :)

Thank you, exvet. Yes Lynx does seem better with *careful* work versus just time off. Keeping his muscle and encouraging correct movement does seem to help. In the past I have been a lot more cautious and basically if I thought there was any even slight discomfort I would either stop riding all together or spend tons and tons of money chasing things. But my frame of mind is different now. If Lynx showed signs that he was really unhappy with work- I would probably stop altogether. But he seems pretty happy for a job for now and there is improvement, however slow and small it is. I'm not really in the position to get another horse right now but I do need to keep riding for my mental health so we will just stick with it for now. :)

He's actually been pretty forward under saddle lately which I take as a good sign too!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 26, 2024 1:25 pm

Good to hear from you LSP, glad you are getting back in the saddle! I am with you on the idea that if they seem happy, and are not getting worse, go ahead and work them. I find that I can get much more correct and productive movement out of T when I'm in the saddle vs. lunging or long-lining, so that is what we do. You pay careful attention and I'm sure you'll do right by your boy :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun May 26, 2024 3:03 pm

SF, yes Lynx moves better under saddle too so that seems to be the best route for him. And he enjoys it more than groundwork it seems.

I do think dressage can be like physical therapy and used as a gradual way to strengthen and assess if things are getting better or not.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun May 26, 2024 8:17 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:SF, yes Lynx moves better under saddle too so that seems to be the best route for him. And he enjoys it more than groundwork it seems.

I do think dressage can be like physical therapy and used as a gradual way to strengthen and assess if things are getting better or not.

Absolutely, especially when you're focusing on balance along with proprioception and relaxation. Teaching a horse how to use itself better benefits everyone. Just happens to often be much easier said than done. So I had a fantastic lesson on Junior today. He is really working well in the double bridle (thanks again SF). My instructor today commented on how much better Junior's self carriage and relaxation were! Changes were better too. My friend and neighbor who was also riding/taking lessons stated that Junior is really starting to look fancy and less like the Thelwell pony 8-)

All the horses were trimmed on Friday morning and loaded up and hauled back up the mountain in a quest to avoid holiday traffic. The combination made Brandon foot sore (if you remember he's barefoot). I still took a short lesson on him this morning (has been on Equioxx which helps a lot). I getting very close to the end of my rope with him and after having purchased a very heavy and FAT german silver KK which is the 9th bit for my princess I wanted to just walk him around and work on connection, bit acceptance and relaxation - lots of lateral work et al you can do at the walk. I also put him back on Estrone. One other change for good measure, the bit is getting slathered with molasses. Despite having tender feet (the footing was exceptional thank goodness) he was the most relaxed and quiet he's been in a long, long time. Because he was moving so well I did a lot of walk and a little bit of trot. Now I am fully prepared for this to be just a honeymoon phase; but, I'll keep with these changes for a while and see how it goes. Hopefully his feet will be grown out enough by next weekend because I've entered both boys in the local dressage clinic I'm helping put together (ah the fun with people backing out at the last minute for this reason or that..........at least it's not my first rodeo so was mentally prepared).

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 28, 2024 3:51 am

ExVet, I can't remember if you've tried a rubber bit? Tesla has chewed up her Bombers, so I just put her in Winderen since the mouthpiece is changeable and they're supposed to be chew proof. What she really seems to like is the plaited rope bit I've been jumping her in.

We had our jumping mini clinic today. I got some good tips on slowing T's trot down and making sure she pushes from being. Our jumping exercise was a cavaletti bounce on the long side with a quick turn to a tiny oxer, then chang directions and do the same thing coming the other way. Dressage lessons at the end of the week and we'll do another jumping clinic in a few weeks.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue May 28, 2024 2:12 pm

I'll pipe up with another rec' for a Winderen. I swapped Kora into one from her HS Duo and it's been lovely. Kora had a tendency especially in a metal bit of a multitude of ring and mouthpiece types to 'hit the bit' either from a half-halt or her own volition and jerk/invert from it. In the Winderen she happily reaches and does not slam against the bit. I don't ever see her transitioning to a double because of that but will happily ride her in the snaffle as we have no CDI dreams.

We've been plugging away at the basics. Had a lovely couple of meeting of the minds type lessons and go figure the walk transition work improves if you ride from the seat first not the hand. :lol: I'm keeping things a bit easy this week with just checking in on harder parts as we head into our first 3rd test at a recognized show this weekend. Good ride time means no early morning or late return so I am thanking the secretary gods for that. It's looking like good weather as well and I've pre-paid for photographer shots so fingers crossed we have a good shake at it.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue May 28, 2024 2:37 pm

I have not tried a winderen. The thought of another cycle of bits is a bit, off putting. No pun intended. It is however a definite possibility if he doesn't marry up to what I have now or if he doesn't like the double. We are coming to the end of the rope in many ways because he's of an age and ability to sell soon or not at all. I don't want to sell him but if dressage isn't going to be his thing, I need to find his perfect match. If I'm going to be honest with myself, I don't want another dedicated trail horse or horse that has to go bitless so thank you for the recommendation. Trying another bit, in the long run, is cheaper than feeding a horse until it sells.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 28, 2024 9:18 pm

Totally hear you on the spending of money on bits. Getting Tesla out of metal was a big game changer. I probably spent $1k on various high end metal bits and never got past "almost tolerable". The Winderens are thick though, I think Bombers comes a little thinner, and Fager is no making a line of leather bits. Sweet Billy's is what my rope bit is, they also do leather and are a little more budget friendly.
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu May 30, 2024 10:04 am

Loving all the updates!

We are working on multiple changes. I can't call them sequence changes yet, because I'm not doing any counting. We're just trying for a few in a row with no flinging ourselves around.

If we use the long side, it is better :D Relatively straight, not so much throwing our bodies around, also I can find a half-halt. And the changes happen mostly on the aid.
https://youtu.be/_np5TM-NRes

On the diagonal, it is a free-for-all. At least half the ones that happen on a diagonal are not at all asked for, I'm just a passenger. We also sometimes unexpectedly (for both of us) switch to an exuberant half-pass. Straightness is a foreign and faraway concept :lol:
https://youtu.be/u2s1GbvCMDM
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu May 30, 2024 6:42 pm

Mari Your changes looks great. That's a nice start. He's nice and through behind. The timing and understanding will come through. My leasor who is riding Quilla to get her bronze (only one more 3rd level score needed) is on a fast track learning changes. Quilla is happy to do what she wants. If she just takes the new outside rein, Quilla will change, but late behind. If she actually holds her in the old lead with the outside leg and sits up into the new outside hip and lifts the new inside hip, she will change clean. Lately she's been doing a couple of one tempis for her because she doesn't have control of where her legs are all of the time, so she keeps putting her new inside leg back as soon as she changes, so Quilla does ones.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu May 30, 2024 11:54 pm

Great to see an update from you LSP! I agree with your approach to Lynx too. He'll let you know if it becomes too bad and he might have good days and bad days like all of us.
Chisamba, love the Pauletta story and look forward to hearing of your progress together :)
Mountaineer, enjoy your holiday!
Mari, awesome! He has nice changes hey. I feel for the horses though, they take a bit to learn one change, and then when they do we go "hey, do another' and then another and then its 1x. I'm playing with 1x with Norsey and adding more and I swear he's thinking "what the !@#@@!!!"

I've had a couple of regular pivo lessons and I think we are slowly getting back to where we used to be. We all went quite a bit backwards after my fall and busted bum, moving and a few other things.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri May 31, 2024 5:32 am

Tanga wrote:Mari Your changes looks great. That's a nice start. He's nice and through behind. The timing and understanding will come through. My leasor who is riding Quilla to get her bronze (only one more 3rd level score needed) is on a fast track learning changes. Quilla is happy to do what she wants. If she just takes the new outside rein, Quilla will change, but late behind. If she actually holds her in the old lead with the outside leg and sits up into the new outside hip and lifts the new inside hip, she will change clean. Lately she's been doing a couple of one tempis for her because she doesn't have control of where her legs are all of the time, so she keeps putting her new inside leg back as soon as she changes, so Quilla does ones.

He's always been more likely to change behind first, which was a really tricky problem to solve and it took me a few years to figure it out. He'll still pop up his croup every few changes, but the incidences of kicking out behind are much reduced, thank heavens.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:01 am

Pretty good lesson today. Goal for June will be to hit the gym. I was really consistent up until the last few weeks with travel, getting sick etc. I could feel it today struggling in my lesson and generally feeling like a lump. My instructor said she was seeing more power from Tesla and wants me to ride her uphill more consistently. We worked on a little renvers feeling and riding sharper corners in canter. Hard work! In the morning I get to watch a friend ride her first 2nd level test on her OTTB, then we'll have another lesson.

A couple days ago a barn buddy and I had a fun little impromptu jump school. I'm feeling more comfortable with the 2'9" jumps. I had a vague goal of being able to jump a course at that height by the end of summer, and I'm starting to think it's doable. I need to shorten my stirrups a little, although they already feel so short compared to the dressage saddle.
Attachments
SS3_TRACK_VIDEO_2024_05_31_134235-1 - frame at 31m8s.jpg
SS3_TRACK_VIDEO_2024_05_31_134235-1 - frame at 31m8s.jpg (144.59 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
446898943_2217336155292327_8074014493995246549_n.jpg
446898943_2217336155292327_8074014493995246549_n.jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:19 pm

63.500% and 4th out of 15 AA's in 3rd3! Freestyle qualification and Sport Predicate both in hand with that score. Mixed test: I did some things better like the TOH for 6.5 and 7 but had such a bloody good time in the trot extension that I completely forgot to do the reinback. Oops :lol: Had to warmup by myself as trainer was coaching someone else riding Grand Prix Freestyle but that was fine as I can get her prepared myself well enough. Overall so very pleased how Kora showed up and mostly listened, ahem stolen right change.

Paid for the photographer slot so hoping for some nice shots. I'd love to have the iconic half-pass from behind shot or the extension as I was grinning like a fool for a jolly in the park.

Lots more carrots for her today as she celebrates her 9th birthday and chill rest day.

SF- THOSE KNEES!! Goodness she looks like a cracking good hunter there.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:55 pm

Love the pics SF and lookin' good. Congrats Aleuronx, very impressive.

I woke up yesterday to a lame horse (Brandon), a daughter in the ER (since hospitalized), and 2 DQ's whining and complaining about the footing at the clinic. Let's just say I explained to them very clearly what 1st world problems are ;) Any how, the horse is still lame. We're still waiting on a diagnosis for my daughter and the clinic proceeded without a hitch. Junior did extremely well. I was very happy with how he came together for me despite how stressed I've been. Will likely have to scratch Brandon for the upcoming show but I still have time to get it sorted out. Junior, on the other hand, is definitely living up to his registered name, Annwylid Dare to Dream :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:33 pm

Jingles for your daughter, ExVet! And Brandon too of course. Glad Junior is providing a bright spot for you.

Aleouronx, congratulations on the 3-3 score, woohoo! You've really put in the work to get there, well done :)

We had another good lesson yesterday. Realized watching Day 1 video that I was working way too hard and T was behind the leg. So she earned me putting my spurs back on after going without for ~6 months. We addressed the behind the leg and then did some spiraling in and out trying to stay in SI and push the haunches while leg yielding out. Then riding down QL and alternating SI left/right and cantering at the end. T had a couple of her classic growing roots and getting pissy moments, but we got through it. Just a symptom of some growing pains. Today I'll bring out the bareback pad and we'll just toodle a bit. I have been noticing that she's more supple feeling in her neck recently, then it dawned on me that she isn't eating from a hay net since moving. I'd been giving that thing the side-eye recently, and now somewhat confirmed that the twisting/jerking actions were not helpful.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:33 pm

Aleuronx Good job on your scores!

This was the show two weeks ago. Just getting around to looking at videos. Been having some health issues.

Quinn GP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMVjVAWbeGg 60.9% Pretty much agree. The p/p at the start were not good, and a 4 for basically no ones was super generous--but my goal was NO stress for her and just let it go. We got 6.5 and 7's for extended trots being VERY careful to keep her relaxed and not push it. She gave me a 5 on ext. walk, but a 7 on coll. We got 5 and 6 on the pirouettes, which were tight, but I cannot decipher was she wrote on both: "don't come in w/hon (or w/hor) lead." Any ideas? All 7's on the last line except a 6 on the passage.

GPfs First time out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu20JWV3-ZU 67% Looking at both tests, she was a little nervous and I didn't push her, so know her p/p can be much better, but am super happy. Got a generous 6 on the ones where I missed one, but she stayed calm, so all good. Comments are similar in that she looks not through behind, which I agree with--if she's nervous at all she gets tight. 7.5 on music, pretty much 7's on all artistic. I need some tweaking, like I'm going to take out the first piaffe because it's almost over 6 min. and I need more wiggle room. I might play with doing the halt and first half passes differently, or not. Usually she does the canter pirouettes really well, but was tight in all of those, also. I love my music.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:24 pm

Tanga wrote:We got 5 and 6 on the pirouettes, which were tight, but I cannot decipher was she wrote on both: "don't come in w/hon (or w/hor) lead." Any ideas? All 7's on the last line except a 6 on the passage.

I’d assume that means “don’t come in with haunches leading”.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:05 am

zevida wrote:
Tanga wrote:We got 5 and 6 on the pirouettes, which were tight, but I cannot decipher was she wrote on both: "don't come in w/hon (or w/hor) lead." Any ideas? All 7's on the last line except a 6 on the passage.

I’d assume that means “don’t come in with haunches leading”.

THANK YOU. I could NOT figure that out!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:24 pm

Flight wrote:Great to see an update from you LSP! I agree with your approach to Lynx too. He'll let you know if I feel for the horses though, they take a bit to learn one change, and then when they do we go "hey, do another' and then another and then its 1x. I'm playing with 1x with Norsey and adding more and I swear he's thinking "what the !@#@@!!!"

I

Saiph in a nutshell

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:28 pm

Ok, I know not the right forum but this one is the most read. Where do you actually go for a professional sport bra fitting. And I don't mean normal bra I mean sport bra.

Yes I googled.

Aleuronix? Since you suggested it. I would appreciate your info

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:20 pm

Not sure how far you are from Alison in NJ. My friend did a clinic with her in Florida and had great things to say and was very happy with the results. Maybe if a bit far you can convince her to come to your place to do a fit event?

http://www.beneathitallbras.com/inthepress

My Fitbit died so I replaced with a much more highly featured Garmin watch. Decided since PSG seems more and more attainable in the next 12-18 months I need to buckle down and track my own fitness. It has a coaching program so I'm starting small with a 5k, I'd like to run a sub-30 minute. My husband bought a treadmill this winter and I haven't been motivated to incorporate it but this coaching program with set days and plans has kicked me in gear. There is much sweating.

Kora recovered well from travel and was joyfully running away with me yesterday as I was trying to give her an easy ride day.

Optimistically sent in 2 entries for July to ride the freestyle. We shall see if it's done in time, I'm being bougie and having one made as it's been years since I did my last one and really want a good crack at last scores for Bronze bar.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:12 pm

Leg one of the epic trailering journey is done. Finally.

The highlights:
— Three days of remedial trailering work after Maia decided she doesn't trailer any more
— Three extra nights in a hotel (we kept checking out, then checking back in :lol: )
— Five fingers/hands dinged in feeding a very hungry food-motivated mare, culminating in
— One urgent care visit for a carnivorous horse bite (nothing left to stitch — she took out a chunk — but lots of antibiotics and a fresh tetanus)
— Parking brake cable for my truck snapped yesterday morning (only bit of that system I hadn't yet replaced in the 22yo truck)
— Two trailer tire blowouts on I40 in the dark, pouring down rain in Arkansas

The trailer shop I used in Texas had three whole weeks(!!) to give my trailer a complete combing over, and clearly did not do their job. I stressed we'd be hauling 2000+ miles of interstate with horses, and I needed a thorough inspection and repair/replacement of tires, brakes, bearings, electric, floorboards, etc. Fortunately, multiple good samaritans then US Rider saved the day. We could have done the first, but having cover and power tools for a cross threaded spare was priceless.

Even better, Maia was not stressed at all, by any of this. The big weirdo loves power tools. Impact wrench? Jacks? Air compressors? Backing into a bay filled with big rigs? She was down for all of it! And she got off the trailer tired and curious, not super anxious.

Obviously four new trailer tires (to match the new 10-ply spare US Rider found me), check trailer electric again, and the parking brake line will all be done by mom's mechanic before we complete the last two legs of the journey mid-month.
Last edited by heddylamar on Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:09 pm

oh, Good God, Heddy. What a nightmare. You must be exhausted!

My first ride back today after 2 weeks off. It went better than I expected it to. In fact, I was very pleased with both of us!

Just as well. Not many rides to showtime next weekend.

(Apparently, I complained to the right person about the footing after the last show at this venue. It looks like they have been working hard to improve it.)

I had a lovely vacation, ate too much excellent food, drank too much excellent wine and generally loafed around in the sunshine.

Putting on white breeches is going to be a bit daunting, however.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:47 pm

Heddy I'm so sorry. This is always my nightmare with trailering. I've had a few nightmare scenarios over the year (as well as last year's on the way to champs) and it always stresses me out when I trailer. I've done the whole check it out before thoroughly and still had problems. Argh. Good thoughts for your next two legs.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:02 pm

Thanks! We need all the luck we can get at this point ;)

Luckily I was hauling with my mom. We're both pretty non-plussed when playing whack-a-mole with disaster after disaster. The only real stress point was tire number two. That extra two hours was pushing us into 18 hours on the road, and we were just exhausted. Everything else could be laughed off. Parking brake? No biggy! We both learned to drive in an ancient wagoneer with no working parking brake, so the wheel chock fire-drill is ingrained. And the many many hours and days spent convincing Maia that the trailer is a great place to eat were well-spent.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:04 am

Wow, Heddy, sorry the Lone Star State didn't give you the best send-off. Glad you're taking the disasters in stride but, hey, what's an epic haul without a few close calls to remember?! Take care of those remaining fingers and jingles for smooth sailing.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:12 am

Definitely jingling for safe travels from here on out Heddy. My property two properties ago (LOL) was named Ranch of Last Resort because I swore I would never move again.....yeah famous last words. Seriously I hope the powers-that-be recognize you've paid your dues and it's nothing but smooth sailing from here.

On our end - have friend loaning me a bosal (used to have one but sold it) tomorrow. Another friend is loaning me a hackamore tomorrow and the winderen bit is supposed to arrive next Wednesday. I should have an answer soon as to what direction I'll have to take Brandon. His lameness is improving with time as I suspected it would.

Junior on the other hand is patiently accepting his training regimen as the show approaches. I do plan to take him on a trail ride in the mountains this weekend just to give him a mental break. He's earned it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:13 am

Heddy, other than sympathy, and good wishes, I have nothing to offer to make your trip better, so here is gobs and gobs of gobs wishes.

Exvet, jingles for Brandon, and go Junior!!

Everyone showing, I'm so impressed that you all have your training and progress so together that you are showing. This year feel like I have nothing to show and everything to work for.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:55 am

Tanga wrote:GPfs First time out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu20JWV3-ZU 67% Looking at both tests, she was a little nervous and I didn't push her, so know her p/p can be much better, but am super happy. Got a generous 6 on the ones where I missed one, but she stayed calm, so all good. Comments are similar in that she looks not through behind, which I agree with--if she's nervous at all she gets tight. 7.5 on music, pretty much 7's on all artistic. I need some tweaking, like I'm going to take out the first piaffe because it's almost over 6 min. and I need more wiggle room. I might play with doing the halt and first half passes differently, or not. Usually she does the canter pirouettes really well, but was tight in all of those, also. I love my music.

I'm not nearly on your level so I can't say anything helpful, except I really liked your freestyle. That extended trot could.not be more on the beat of the music, so cool!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:58 am

Aleuronx wrote:My Fitbit died so I replaced with a much more highly featured Garmin watch. Decided since PSG seems more and more attainable in the next 12-18 months I need to buckle down and track my own fitness. It has a coaching program so I'm starting small with a 5k, I'd like to run a sub-30 minute. My husband bought a treadmill this winter and I haven't been motivated to incorporate it but this coaching program with set days and plans has kicked me in gear. There is much sweating.

Which Garmin did you get? I have the VivoActive 4, and I really like it. It doesn't have a "riding" option under activities, sadly, so if I do dressage I select "pilates", and "cardio" for jumping.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:05 am

Odin has had a very swollen and hot sheath since yesterday. The vet was out, he was sedated and cleaned (AGAIN, last cleaning was only about 7 weeks ago). There are new plaque-like areas that the vet doesn't like at all. I am very worried and I wish these things were happening in a more accessible area. Even under sedation getting hold of his penis is like playing whack-a-mole. He is a VERY shy guy.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:42 pm

mari wrote:Which Garmin did you get? I have the VivoActive 4, and I really like it. It doesn't have a "riding" option under activities, sadly, so if I do dressage I select "pilates", and "cardio" for jumping.

It was Memorial Day sales here in the US so I ended up getting the Fenix 7 Pro for a not terrible price, it does have the riding activity which gives you speed/pace/heart rate and all sorts of other info. I'm still getting the hang of all the features. It also has pretty dang accurate GPS, this is tracking from the show this past weekend. Funny that I forgot to turn it off right away when back at the trailer, lol.

Tracking Show.jpg
Tracking Show.jpg (65.06 KiB) Viewed 617 times

Jingles for Odin and Brandon getting better.

Safe travels Heddy!! It sounds like you have gotten all the kinks out of the way, here's to smooth sailing to MD.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:04 pm

exvet wrote:
On our end - have friend loaning me a bosal (used to have one but sold it) tomorrow. Another friend is loaning me a hackamore tomorrow and the winderen bit is supposed to arrive next Wednesday. I should have an answer soon as to what direction I'll have to take Brandon. His lameness is improving with time as I suspected it would.

Exvet, which winderen did you get?

Aleu--i think you said you used one as well? Which one do you use?

RP reaches into the contact as well as any horse i've ever ridden when all is well. BUT he needs his teeth done multiple times a year because as soon as he's a milimeter off perfect float he comes entirely unglued. and I'm wondering if the winderen might make him a smidge more tolerant, which is not to say he won't still get regular floats, but maybe not 3-4x a year :roll: Though, I'm hesitant to go away from a jointed bit since he's so happy in his 3 piece when all is well

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:08 pm

Blob I got the broken loose ring snaffle. Fortunately Brandon does not have a low palate at all.

Return to “Dressage Training”