Starting the Changes

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Iminthebarn
Greenie

Starting the Changes

Postby Iminthebarn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:57 am

My trainer is about to train my horse his flying changes and she's been commenting on how nice it is to have a horse that hasn't been taught his flying changes incorrectly. I have another horse that also needs to learn his flying changes, and I've been dabbling a bit with changes on him on my own. I'll have to ask my trainer during my next lesson exactly what she meant. But what kind of issues do you all think are encountered or developed incorrectly by not "correctly" starting them on their changes? I don't want to develop bad habits, but I'd also like to try to not go broke in sending all my horses off if I don't have to. I wonder if any of the problems would somehow be irreversible.

Iminthebarn
Greenie

Re: Starting the Changes

Postby Iminthebarn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Just thought I'd share my trainer's answer to my question. The fear would be in the horse only switching either in front or behind and then letting the problem go on for a length of time. I'm very relieved. Since the horse I'm working on my own lately is getting mostly clean changes when he does change, I guess I'm not in too much danger of messing him up before I get him in front of my trainer again.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:31 pm

Gonna go ahead and be "that person", but here's a thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138

Bad habits to watch out for (rider):
- Tipping forward
- Getting handsy
- Getting crooked

Which can result in the horse getting:
- Changes late behind
- Crooked, losing impulsion, potentially not clean changes
- Crooked, losing impulsion, potentially not clean changes

I've found that the key is just riding the canter. The changes may be exciting initially (and sometimes creative), but focusing on the repetition of the same quality, uphill canter stride after stride limits the amount of flailing you'll have to ride through.

Iminthebarn
Greenie

Postby Iminthebarn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Thank you Ponichiwa. It was the worry of "ruining" something that had me asking. Now I can go on and read the existing thread thoroughly without being so concerned about my causing any "damages". Next time I'll be sure to just post onto the existing thread.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:11 pm

I didn't mean it as a chastisement! Just that it's easier to post a link than all the content (and I'm lazy).

That said, your trainer is right that the disunited change is the hardest thing to fix. Other challenges are crookedness (it's a pain to turn "drifting" changes into straight tempi changes) and balance (it's also a pain to turn flat changes into tempi changes).

If you install big straight clean changes right from the get-go, you'll be set up for success for the tempis later on. If the canter gets too small/on the forehand/crooked, it's tougher. Not impossible, but tougher.

All that said, most of the errors in changes can be fixed. The most persistent issue is the half-late change-- i.e. changes in front and then a stride later changes behind. Depending on the horse it's not always easy to feel, so I'd recommend schooling in front of mirrors or with a groundperson (I occasionally use my non-horsey significant other) if you can.

Iminthebarn
Greenie

Postby Iminthebarn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Thank you Ponichiwa---That's super helpful! Yes, my DH loves to help (watch and video) and we do have mirrors. I'm really excited about this stage. My horse knows what I'm after now and he's so willing to please that we're on our way. One of my biggest struggles is knowing exactly when to give the aids. I've been aiding somewhere in the middle of the stride before the point at which I want the change. I could really use some advise on timing the aids for the change.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Since I am currently horse shopping, I cringe when I see a horse that has been jumped and "knows his changes" because those changes will be tough to train out. Lots of late changes in the hunters....and "auto changes" Definitely cringe worthy!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Iminthebarn wrote:Thank you Ponichiwa---That's super helpful! Yes, my DH loves to help (watch and video) and we do have mirrors. I'm really excited about this stage. My horse knows what I'm after now and he's so willing to please that we're on our way. One of my biggest struggles is knowing exactly when to give the aids. I've been aiding somewhere in the middle of the stride before the point at which I want the change. I could really use some advise on timing the aids for the change.

For timing, I count strides leading up to the change to get a feel for the tempo. Canter is a 3-beat gait, and I ask for the change on the second beat of the previous stride (when the diagonal pair of hind and fore strike the ground). This gives the horse (and me) enough time to reorganize for the next stride.

So if I'm riding boldly around the arena on a horse learning changes for the first time, you bet that I'll be counting strides (usually just to 3, for no good reason at all) because that keeps me aware of any changes in the tempo and instills the timing for the change for me. But I'm not a natural percussionist, so I need some external help.

Return to “Dressage Training”