Goals and progress... August and September!

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Goals and progress... August and September!

Postby demi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:07 am

The nights are in th mid 70's and even though it got up to 94 with high humidity today, I was able to longe Emma this morning. She is obviously happier with the cooler nights and was cooperative and nicely connected with me on the longe. I longed her on a long rein and kept it mostly at a walk even though she was a little reactive and ready to bolt for the first few minutes. She let me talk her into relaxing. We walked the full arena doing 10 m circles at A,C,B,and E. After a couple of times both directions, I let her trot a couple of the 10m circles.

The weather is supposed to break tomorrow! Highs in the 80's for several days. I am hoping today was the start of regular work for us again...

Flight, I'm so glad your young horse is okay. That video was disturbing. I would have freaked out if my horse did that! It's probably a good thing i never had REAL kids!

Piedmont, it is encouraging to hear of your new and improved trot and canter! Yay Emi, yay Piedmont!!

I have been reading everyone's the updates and they are good! Our Cartier and Capstone should be in Houston by now. I hope we get some pictures! I wonder which browband and pad she'll use!!

Kande, about showing: I still want to show but only low key, close to home and in comfortable weather. AND, only when I feel that we are working consisitenly up to par at home. I want to have fun.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:13 am

I must be insane. I foolishly just spent an idle half hour on Centerline Scores looking up the other people in my championship class.

(My first thought was "Oh my God, why would you want to ride 2nd level test 3 20 times on the same horse?" which seems to be a recurring thing...)

I knew it was going to be fairly tough, but my goal now is not to be last.

It's quite cold here tonight at 7000 feet. DH was muttering about putting the heat on. I told him to close some windows and find a sweater :)

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:35 am

demi wrote:Our Cartier and Capstone should be in Houston by now. I hope we get some pictures! I wonder which browband and pad she'll use!!

Today, warm up day, was blue and grey. Show pads will be white. Browband is one of the first set, the Montana and black diamond.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (131.13 KiB) Viewed 24412 times

He was watching over another horse which needed a buddy in the arena. (Not one of ours, as it were.)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.82 KiB) Viewed 24412 times

Was so funny - he came into the main arena for his warm up, all puffed up and calling. Everyone looks over with horror - "Is he a stallion?!?" Lol, no.

ETA: The footing was terrible in the competition rings. Like they didn't water or drag before we came. So my trainer just did a super light ride. Surely it will be better tomorrow.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:01 am

demi wrote:Kande, about showing: I still want to show but only low key, close to home and in comfortable weather. AND, only when I feel that we are working consisitenly up to par at home. I want to have fun.

Sounds like Emma may be very similar to Sting in disposition (spooky and reactive)?

It's the reason I wanted to take him to as many local shows as possible well before he was working consistently at home, because I knew that getting him calmed down in the show environment was going to take a lot longer than getting him working consistently, so started on that right away.

The problem with the weather at shows is that we have to sign up so early that we never know what it'll be like on show days. I went to more than 20 shows over several years, and I think the weather was only good (comfortable) for about 2 of them. The rest of them were out in the hot sun on hot days, which makes me light headed no matter how much water I drink. I never actually passed out, but came close a couple of times.

I think if I was serious about showing I'd probably start boarding my horse at a busy boarding barn so he could get used to all the activity, because it would be such an easy way for him to get the kind and amount of exposure he would need. And then if they had shows at the same barn I wouldn't even have to hook up the trailer if I wanted to show, which would make it so much easier!

Are you still planning to get a SoloShot when the new model comes out?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:10 am

Moutaineer wrote:
(My first thought was "Oh my God, why would you want to ride 2nd level test 3 20 times on the same horse?" which seems to be a recurring thing...)

Someone I follow was riding 1st level tests over and over again with scores in the upper 60's and low to mid 70's, and I was wondering why because she had taken multiple horses into the upper levels so I didn't think it was likely a training problem. Turned out that the horse was lame so wasn't progressing, although I'm still not sure why she thought that doing all those tests at first was going to help?

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Capstone, Cartier looks very smart!!

Kande, booking up the camera to a tv is impressive thinking.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:20 pm

Moutaineer wrote:(My first thought was "Oh my God, why would you want to ride 2nd level test 3 20 times on the same horse?" which seems to be a recurring thing...)
I don't find that a negative thing at all. There could be various reasons people do that. Some are maxed out at 2nd. Either they can't get the flying change or their extensions or their collection just isn't 3rd level quality nor will ever be. Some are just trying to improve their performance before they move up. There are probably some that are looking to win a championship are get a good HOY ranking.

There are many riders that show the small tour forever because that is the limit of their horse.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:21 pm

Flight wrote:
Kande, booking up the camera to a tv is impressive thinking.

Someone gave me the TV because it had a red line down through the pic in HD, which it doesn't have with the camera. Not that a red line would matter, but I probably wouldn't have gone out and bought a big screen TV just to try it and see if it would work. I think it actually works better than a mirror because I can point the camera anywhere, depending on what I want to be able to see.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:25 pm

musical comedy wrote:There are many riders that show the small tour forever because that is the limit of their horse.

Because the horse isn't sound enough? I thought any sound horse had the ability to get to GP with satisfactory scores?

Technically speaking, I think any horse could be shown at GP whether they could do the movements or not, because I don't think they ever put that proposed requirement in place that was going to require certain scores before someone could move up?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:38 pm

kande50 wrote:
musical comedy wrote:There are many riders that show the small tour forever because that is the limit of their horse.

Because the horse isn't sound enough? I thought any sound horse had the ability to get to GP with satisfactory scores?

Technically speaking, I think any horse could be shown at GP whether they could do the movements or not, because I don't think they ever put that proposed requirement in place that was going to require certain scores before someone could move up?

Nope. Takes a special brain and a talented horse to make a GP horse. I think this myth started with "Any horse can do dressage" and has morphed from there to "any horse can do 3rd" to "any horse can do GP."

Any horse can probably put together pieces at home. Half steps to piaffe, some passage, some changes. But to put that all together in the ring with minimal mistakes and no loss of connection or balance is asking a lot. Many horses for whatever reason (soundness, independence, etc.) just don't let you in enough to do the GP.

And all the above assumes the rider is consistent and fair and is capable of the GP as well. It's a tall order.

That said, Kiwi is doing better. Connection is more even and we're starting to get back into 2nd ish level work. Hurray!

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Nope. Takes a special brain and a talented horse to make a GP horse. I think this myth started with "Any horse can do dressage" and has morphed from there to "any horse can do 3rd" to "any horse can do GP."

Any horse can probably put together pieces at home. Half steps to piaffe, some passage, some changes. But to put that all together in the ring with minimal mistakes and no loss of connection or balance is asking a lot.

I agree. Particularly with the use of the word myth. Cartier is doing PSG/I1 this year. It is not super easy for him, but he is becoming more and more proficient. I'm not sure he will ever make I2 or GP. The piaffe/passage do not come naturally to him. The one tempis are a whole different world from the 2s that he is so very good at. It absolutely isn't a soundness issue.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Capstone, thanks for the pics and the update. He looks great. It's exciting to follow his progress.

Kande, I am still planning on a Soloshot 3. I'm guessing even after they start shipping it will be a while before they are generally available. I didn't pre-order. I'm impressed you set up a TV in your arena!

Ponichiwa, I can relate to all you've gone through in the last few weeks to just get back to "second-ish level" work. It would be so nice if we could take time off for whatever reason and then just pick up right where we left off. But no. I've gotten to the point where I almost don't want to have goals because it makes me hyper aware of the regressing that happens. The thing is, regressing will happen no matter what. Even without time off. It probably affects some horses more than others, but just increasing the training will cause them to regress for a bit until they figure it out.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:51 pm

I longed Emma again today and I think I can see a way forward. Taking some time off because of the heat gave me some time to ponder the journey since I got her last November. I re-read my notes and as I did, I started to have a little more confidence that I am on the right track for us.

I need to continue quieting myself mentally and physically with her. Just improving our connection will need to come before any concentrated work on movements. Improving my feel will go a long way but right now it will be slow going because I don't have a means of "seeing" what I'm feeling. That's okay, though. Going slowly through the process allows me to savor it. I thought that I was taking things very slowly with Emma from the start, but now I can see that I was really still rushing a bit.

From my notes, when she went through the head flipping phase in Jan-Feb, it was partly because I was pushing the collection. Additionally, I was blocking her with my hands by not having a giving enough quality. These are solvable problems.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Demi, I don't know if this will be helpful but here goes with some insights from my "chill" dial-it-up slowly warm-up (which is working very well!).

While I let Emi slowly dial up to a good trot and canter without fussing at her to be super "forward" or "reactive" off my leg, I am picky about her bend, line of travel and acceptance of the bending aids. By letting go of one layer of pickiness (being easy going about the dial-up), she is still very willing to submit to other pickiness (ex. line of travel/bend). This might be a useful idea for you as the weather cools and you and Emma get back to work.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:01 am

Cartier was a star today, as always, drawing admirers everywhere he goes. The footing was better but still not great and so he really bogged down and lost rhythm in the right pirouette but managed everything else clean if a bit flat.

The judge loved him and his music! :D

74.750% for 1st place. 8-)

Waiting on deck in a tunnel, cool as cucumbers.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (120.29 KiB) Viewed 24337 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.19 KiB) Viewed 24337 times
Last edited by capstone on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:14 am

Great, Capstone! You must be thrilled!

Not implying that there is anything wrong with doing 2nd 3 20 times, if that floats your boat. It would just drive me to screaming insanity. (I couldn't be a Reiner... same thing for ever...) Showing that much in one year would do that to me anyway...

If we max out at PSG, I will be thrilled, personally!

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:22 am

kande50 wrote:Technically speaking, I think any horse could be shown at GP whether they could do the movements or not, because I don't think they ever put that proposed requirement in place that was going to require certain scores before someone could move up?

This is sadly true in the US. Not so in some other countries.

But why would you want to present your horse for judging at a level at which you know he isn't capable? It would be a waste of yours and the judge's time, not to mention embarrassing.

People want to succeed. They want good scores, good placings, etc. There are lots of reasons to hang around at a level lower than GP.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:26 am

Moutaineer wrote:Not implying that there is anything wrong with doing 2nd 3 20 times, if that floats your boat. It would just drive me to screaming insanity. (I couldn't be a Reiner... same thing for ever...) Showing that much in one year would do that to me anyway...

That does seem like a lot in a single year. I have absolutely seen it happen over the course of 2/3/4 years.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:38 am

Ponichiwa wrote:Nope. Takes a special brain and a talented horse to make a GP horse. I think this myth started with "Any horse can do dressage" and has morphed from there to "any horse can do 3rd" to "any horse can do GP."

What I meant was that the way I understand it, anyone can take a horse to a show and do a GP test. They might get really low scores on it, but I think they'd be allowed to ride through it?

I would also think that given a sound horse and an expert rider with the time to put in, one might be able to get any horse to do a decent GP test. Not a good one necessarily, but one with scores in the 50's, maybe?

I suppose it's probably not all that common for expert riders to spend a lot of time on horses of modest talent, but in thinking about it I'm not sure why it wouldn't be possible for someone who knew what they were doing to get a horse to GP, as long as they could keep him sound enough.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:30 am

kande50 wrote:

What I meant was that the way I understand it, anyone can take a horse to a show and do a GP test. They might get really low scores on it, but I think they'd be allowed to ride through it?

This is true. There's nothing in the rules to stop me from taking Kiwi out at GP tomorrow. We will do VERY poorly, but the show would take my money and I could go down the centerline. However, that's not all that you said above, and which you expound on below:

kande50 wrote:I would also think that given a sound horse and an expert rider with the time to put in, one might be able to get any horse to do a decent GP test. Not a good one necessarily, but one with scores in the 50's, maybe?

I suppose it's probably not all that common for expert riders to spend a lot of time on horses of modest talent, but in thinking about it I'm not sure why it wouldn't be possible for someone who knew what they were doing to get a horse to GP, as long as they could keep him sound enough.

Analogy time. Every dog has some herding instinct, but not every dog will be consistent and reliable enough to be a trialing dog. Every dog has some form of hunting instinct, but not every dog will be able to take the noise of the gun and reliably return with birds. Every dog can run, but not every dog will be as quick as a greyhound.

Nearly every person is capable of learning math. Not every person wants to be a mathematician (or statistician). Nearly every person can dance. Not every person is capable of elite ballet dancing-- or even not-so-elite ballet dancing. Nearly every person can sing. Not every person is capable of singing operas well.

High-level dressage is a specialization that not every horse (and/or rider) is cut out for. Some horses are not athletic enough to consistently sit and carry to the level that's required for full pirouettes and piaffe and passage and tempi changes and canter zig-zag and steep trot halfpasses. It's not so easy to get "satisfactory" for every movement. Additionally, it's not fair to ask some horses to work so far above what they're comfortably capable of for whatever reason-- maybe they don't have enough flexibility to halfpass at that steepness, maybe they don't have the balance to sit and maintain a strong rhythmic piaffe, maybe they don't have the coordination to execute a clear clean pirouette or set of one-tempis. In each movement score there's a "freedom and regularity of gaits" component, which you can't get out of a horse that's really struggling.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:25 am

I suppose an peruvian paso could gait through a dressage arena covering the ground from letter to letter, never trotting or cantering, and some one dould concieve that its grand prix, but that some one would have a very isolated and insular opinion.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:50 am

Ponichiwa wrote:
This is true. There's nothing in the rules to stop me from taking Kiwi out at GP tomorrow. We will do VERY poorly, but the show would take my money and I could go down the centerline. However, that's not all that you said above, and which you expound on below:

Two separate thoughts. One was that I wasn't sure if there was a way for show organizers or judges to prevent someone from showing horses who weren't anywhere near ready for the level they want showing at, and the other was about how hard it would be to get a horse with no talent to GP with satisfactory scores, which I'm thinking would need to be at least 50?

Or maybe, if the horse was a bad enough mover but could do a decent job of performing the movements, someone might accept even lower scores as okay? Although, if a horse was able to do a decent job of the movements his gaits shouldn't affect his scores all that much as long as they remained pure, right? (Which, as Chisamba pointed out, would eliminate gaited horses, even if they wouldn't be considered unsound.)

Bringing a horse up through the levels is likely an expensive enough proposition that most would just get a more suitable horse, but I was just curious about whether it was possible to take any horse up through the levels.

High-level dressage is a specialization that not every horse (and/or rider) is cut out for. Some horses are not athletic enough to consistently sit and carry to the level that's required for full pirouettes and piaffe and passage and tempi changes and canter zig-zag and steep trot halfpasses.
[/quote]

So if they can't they can just stay on the forehand and fling their legs around more and get the scores that way? :-)

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Piedmont, thanks for the extra explanation of your "chill" dial-up with Emi. It makes a lot of sense, and I will certainly keep it in mind as Emma and I start back to work. I think for me, the layer of pickiness than I am letting go is to "allow" her much more with my hands. Even through the worst of it, I was subconscioulsy aware of needing to have a more giving quaility in my hands (I posted some pics a while back and should maybe post a few more from that series...even start a new thread), BUT, I wasn't letting go enough and at the same time I was being very picky about her coming under with her hind legs, which is visible in the pics. Much to think about here! It seems that again, the issue is balance. In this case balancing the demands/requests that I put on her.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Capstone! So nice to hear about Cartier's adventure! Nice Score!!! Congrats to all three: Cartier, Lisa, and you! He's doing the quality of work that blossoms with a team effort. I hope to see him show in person some day.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:57 pm

capstone wrote:Cartier was a star today, as always, drawing admirers everywhere he goes. The footing was better but still not great and so he really bogged down and lost rhythm in the right pirouette but managed everything else clean if a bit flat.

The judge loved him and his music! :D

74.750% for 1st place. 8-)

Waiting on deck in a tunnel, cool as cucumbers.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:07 pm

The point of argument is for both sides to increase in knowledge. Not, as some suppose, to be inane.

Therefore, to avoid inanity, i shall simply report that I planned to take Kimba to a hunter pace this morning. Of course when I went to load her, she was slightly off. Kimba was newly shod on friday so I suspect a close nail. Sigh.

So i walked straight past Deneb, and took Karma. Seven and a half miles and seventy obstacles, no walk in the park for this dressage diva. Sadly one of our team fell off and then after about half a mile chose to return to home base, so our time will not count. She seems to have an ankle turn, and is icing it, and hopefully will soon feel better.

Deneb has continued to improve. Working on slowing. Being more balanced. And.understanding that circles, serpentines and transitions are dressage, not interruptions, and moving laterally off the leg does not need to.be accompanied by a head toss.

Enjoy the ride, my friends. Enjoy.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:53 pm

Well done, Chisamba.

Back when I lived in New York I used to have so much fun hunter pacing at this time of year, but that was 20 odd years ago--I think It'd probably kill me now :)

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:34 am

Congratulations capstone! You must be absolutely thrilled. Cartier looks smashing both in his warmup gear and his show 'clothes'. :)

Moutaineer - if you're crazy for looking up other people's show results then so am I. ;) I always find it super interesting because I like to know how everyone's doing, who's improving, who's consistent, etc. I analyse my own results via spreadsheet after the season is over, too. Yes, I am an engineer and I have problems.

Bliss is thriving with my friend. I went to see her ride him on Saturday (her fifth ride on him) and she is doing a fantastic job. Her background is mostly western, but she's the kind of rider who understands good horsemanship and the importance of basics, and horses that she has trained have gone on to do well in pretty much every discipline from reining to extreme trail to dressage and showjumping. She's been doing some extreme trail with Bliss and he's been very willing and curious but generally confident. It's wonderful to see him stepping fearlessly over mattresses and walking into a 4" trench without batting an eyelid. Not to mention calmly working while there is a goat and a very curious donkey wandering around!!

As far as actual training goes, she is addressing some of the holes in his basics, firstly with getting him TRULY forward (something we've always struggled with). I was thrilled with how he went on Saturday - powerfully off the hind end but in balance and without running or falling or leaning one bit. I think the pics are reflective of that. He wasn't always perfectly connected, but the front will sort itself out once he gets used to powering off his motor from behind.

Hope everyone is having a lovely fall/spring and is enjoying their equines!

PS. Human baby could arrive any day now so if there are a few weeks of radio silence from me you'll know why... I am now further into this pregnancy than I ever made it with the first one! 37 weeks this coming Friday. :)
Attachments
aBliss3.jpg
aBliss3.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 24226 times
aBliss1.jpg
aBliss1.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 24226 times
aBliss2.jpg
aBliss2.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 24226 times

demi

Postby demi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:54 am

Wow! RosieB! Bliss looks beautiful. I love the impulsion and I like the way your friend is riding him. I think it shows that even with a non-traditional dressage seat, a good rider can bring out the beauty of a horse.

Good luck with the human baby!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Agree, Bliss is just flowing along! Good luck with the baby and long pregnancy :-) Capstone, congratulations on your beautiful boy. I hope you did get him a new matchy set :-D Mountaineer, don't you have a show update/report? Or is that next week? Hope it was a positive experience.

Kudos to all for continuing their good work.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Capstone - Congrats!!! Love the photo of them both just waiting. Nice score.

Rosie, Bliss is looking fantastic! That's great you've got someone riding him that can keep up the work and is also a fresh person. As in, you know when someone new rides a horse and they can find the holes, whereas the regular rider tends to get used to how a horse goes and might not see the holes as clearly? Not sure if that makes sense, but I know what I mean LOL. Goodluck with the baby, hoping everything goes well there.

Had a good ride out with friends today with my little friesian x. He LOVES being out with friends, he gets so excited and does these random squeals and leaps, and just wants to sniff and annoy every other horse. He even jumped a few of the xc jumps again for me.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:39 am

I leave on Wednesday, Piedmont. Long-assed drive, warm up class Thursday pm, Championship class Friday am. Back home on Saturday...

Sunday I spend comatose on the sofa.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Drive safe, Mountaineer and have fun with your beautiful partner. Stop reading Centerline scores...

demi

Postby demi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:37 pm

Good luck Mountaineer! Have fun, and when you come out of coma, give us a report!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Safe driving and best of luck at Regionals, Moutaineer.

I actually rode Tio 5 whole days in a row last week! I jumped him a little and we cantered a little. I even rode him while, literally right next to my arena, a fellow power washed my mom's windows. He only scooted once, brave boy. Showed him off to my friend on Saturday, who confessed to thinking his trot and canter would be clunky and down hill because of the way he stomps his feet when he walks. She really likes the way he snaps his knees up when he jumps too. Maybe I'll do low level horse trials next year with him seeings how he isn't afraid of water either.

Rudy, meanwhile, is totally confused about flying changes and is back to offering them "randomly", so clearly I must be more careful with my seat and legs.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:26 am

Moutaineer wrote:I leave on Wednesday, Piedmont. Long-assed drive, warm up class Thursday pm, Championship class Friday am. Back home on Saturday...

Sunday I spend comatose on the sofa.

Good luck, safe travels.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:04 pm

I had an unusual looking low jump, actually a cavaletti in mid height with tires leaned against it at a slight angle. Deneb, she did not like it, so i pretended it did not exist and worked her all over the whole arena. But as i brought her closer to it she kicked at it violently. Silly filly. So the i jumped her over it ten times in each direction, making her stay on a 20 m circle and walk as we crossed the center line and trot as we met the far rail. She jumped it ok, but did not like walking past. She remained tense and was spooking at the door etc, holding a lot of tension in her neck. I did the usual transitions and patterns, but she carried tension.

So i experimented with fairly quick bend and counter bend, and she finally stretched her neck to the bit, which i rewarded with stretch walk and trot, and then finished on a good.bote.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:50 pm

With Kimba i introduced a figure eight with one side on shoulder in and the other in counter shoulder in. This was difficult for her so she wanted to lean and rush. I encouraged her to work slowly and a little open, and offeted lots of stretch breaks.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks for sharing that exercise Chisamba--I can see that being useful for us.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:18 am

Useful:
Attachments
FB_IMG_1474164835016.jpg
FB_IMG_1474164835016.jpg (127.76 KiB) Viewed 23978 times

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:25 am

Chisamba wrote:Useful:

yes, very useful. thanks for posting that. I am trying to figure out how to print it. I'd like to have a copy on my desk to just glance at now and then. When i copied and pasted it to Word, it only showed half of the page.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:32 am

ok. I got it. Right click in upper left corner and i get a print option.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:01 pm

demi wrote:
The weather is supposed to break tomorrow! Highs in the 80's for several days. I am hoping today was the start of regular work for us again...

I quoted my post from 8 days ago. The weather never broke :( I am still not riding and the temps are forecast in the low/mid 90's for the next seven days. I get really tempted to ride in the mornings but by the time I get the stalls cleaned I'm dripping wet and the sun is beating down. The good news is that it will cool down sooner than later. And maybe I'll have my Soloshot 3 by then!!

Thanks for everyone's efforts at posting on this forum. There is a lot of good information here that gives me something to think about. I think that not ALLriding has to be done on the horse. Some practice can be done by going through stuff in my head. Over and over, thinking about the little details.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm back!

And I didn't come last...

First day we did the open 2.3 class and actually won it.

Sat and watched the video that evening and decided that it was really rather boring and I needed to go for it a bit more in the championship test.

Really bad idea. He got a bit tense, we broke in one of the trot lengthenings, and completely and utterly muffed up one of the canter serpentines to the extent that I got my first ever 3's... The rest of the test was quite nice, but needless to say, we were out of the ribbons.

I know what I did wrong, had we had the "boring" safe ride we had on the first day we would have been up there.

We had a blast. It was huge fun, lots of lovely horses and riders to watch, everyone was friendly and welcoming and happy to talk and laugh (unlike here in Utah, where the dressage scene is depressingly often characterized by hatchet-faced angry competitiveness,) and the retail therapy was pretty damned good too :)

And I made a new riding buddy, who lives quite close and has the same goals and ideals as I do, and wants to do stuff together.

Long old drive though. That last stretch of hairpin bend road up to Estes Park was down to one lane with flaggers on the way up, which was pretty hideous. We were both extremely glad to pull into the barn last night.
Attachments
Estes 2 small.jpg
Estes 2 small.jpg (234.92 KiB) Viewed 23939 times
Estes 4 small.jpg
Estes 4 small.jpg (184.77 KiB) Viewed 23939 times
estes 1 small.jpg
estes 1 small.jpg (154.82 KiB) Viewed 23939 times

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Well done, Mountaineer and Laddie!! Nice report and really neat pictures. I'm glad you had fun. You look like you were enjoying yourself.

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:32 pm

Congratz Mountaineer!!! Good on you for going for it and not just riding safe and boring... it's all learning :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:02 pm

Great update, Mountaineer! I'm impressed that you "went" for it the second day---good learning and experience. And so glad you made a good local buddy! That makes the journey so much more fun.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:04 pm

You guys look fantastic, Moutaineer! I'm also impressed that you decided to go for it, even if it backfired a bit on you. Well done!
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:32 am

Congrats Mountaineer! Great report and lovely photos. (What's a flagger?) It's hard finding that balance between boring and going for it, and I find it changes every competition anyway! It's quite a tricky thing, competing, but it sounds like you had a great weekend away.

I managed to get to a competition, first one in a while and actually not rained out. I rode my little black friesian cross in the 3.2 and 3.3. I got on to warm up and wondered if I needed spurs, because he tends to back off and be a bit of a slug in the arena. I certainly didn't need it because he was quite silly in the warm up. You know those leapy, squeals they do in the paddock? Well he was full of those and actually leaping into canter with a squeal and tossing his head around, and striking out. I just laughed it off and tried to warm up where there wasn't too many people.

In the arena we started off great, our first med trot I was like wow, this is happening and I can actually sit to it! (7.5) and then it went a bit downhill. There's a trotting track nearby and this rattling thing with 5 trotters attached went past and it clearly was a perfect excuse for some squeals and a buck! I pulled him up and he stopped and ran backwards and I actually thought we might end up eliminated! The judge saw the trotting thing and kindly let me come around and continue on, so we managed to finish the test. He anticipated the walk-canter trans (he normally never does) and pigrooted onto the wrong leg, I pulled him up and we got stuck in a piaffe! I could only laugh :)
Our 10m canter circle comment was "very happy!'
Our horse comment was "interesting horse".
When bystanders say "oh tough luck" and "well done for coping with that" and you later overhear people talking about the black horse having a tantrum, you know it's probably not our best form.

He was better in the second test, but I may have overdone the warmup, so he was a little tense but a little tired and I had to work to keep him up to the contact.

Weirdly enough, I ended up first in both tests (63% and 66%) so others must have been having an off day too. It certainly was a different day for me.

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:50 am

I've been MIA for a few months, new job and super busy so something had to give! :mrgreen:

We have had a great end to the competition season, taking out Novice Champion, Elementary freestyle champion and winning the Annette Sharpe memorial trophy for dedication to the sport and improvement over the year, at our Championship competition.

We have started working on the changes now that the competition season is over, and they are coming along really well! Left to right is clean and on the aids, right to left is a bit hit and miss when it comes to being clean or not but he understands the aids and thinks he is pretty clever! Will share more later when I have time :D

Clever pony!
https://www.facebook.com/morgen.schneid ... 7939272518

Video of the less easy change- watch in HD
https://www.facebook.com/morgen.schneid ... 2169292518

Return to “Dressage Training”