please give me the words to use when...

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
martha sc
Novice

please give me the words to use when...

Postby martha sc » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:16 pm

The local natural horsemanship "trainer" tells a new rider i have been working with that they need to quit "hanging on that outside rein, It's just a crutch and eventually you will have to learn to steer" :roll:

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: please give me the words to use when...

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:05 am

Well, I do agree with you, Martha. But then I don't!

I was watching some Bettina Drummond videos the other week where she was working with people riding Lusitanos. She noted that to put a firm, Warmblood-like outside rein on this type of light horse is going to make them crazy and ping around. She has a very valid point! While the outside rein has value, so does the inside rein. And above all, the seat has value!

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:20 am

Certainly , but around here , the inside rein is all we're interested in, bend em to the inside to get them supple and giving to your hand. If that doesn't work ,pull them in a tiny circle with that inside rein until they submit. .
Seat? , we got no seat .

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:53 am

Ask your student if she want to ride correct dressage or incorrect "whatever" riding.

My story: My instructor (very classicly trained) took away my outside rein for the longest time, because I used it too much after hearing (and being taught) the "inside leg to outside rein" rule. Of course the inside rein is not mentioned - and my horses were always overflexed outside and falling into their inside shoulder. At the time I was riding a draft cross and he went so much better... I now have Lusitanos. They need balanced reins and seat.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:15 am

If you have shown your student the correct use of the outside rein they should have felt it's effect and know the other guy is missing the point.

I am going to assume your rider is going to want to do lateral movements and be able to compete. Them them that the end goal is collection and connection, if the end goal is connection and connection then dressage requires two reins.

Now if your student is riding with some one else, cut them loose. It's not worth whatever you get for a lesson to deal with uncommitted riders. Jmho.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:49 am

I do want to add, equal contact in each rein should be the goal. The horse should be reaching into equal contact. Regardless of bend or steering.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:07 am

Is the rider new to you or new to riding? Did you watch the NH trainers lesson or did you hear the info second hand from the rider?

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:16 am

She is new to riding. .I have listened to many of this trainer' s lessons . Things like" "You've got his head down, now we can work on getting him to collect "
My student has realized the wisdom of riding both sides of the horse's body since when her horse is better balanced the ride is more comfy, she can feel the benefits.
This is a beginner, what I call an "up downer . She is working on steerage and patterns at walk and trot.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:40 pm

I believe this new rider will have to make a choice on whether they want to work with you or with their "head down expert."

Hope they make a good choice!

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:11 pm

This is an inspiring young woman, I met here through a handicapt riding program . She clearly remembers the last moment,the head pain , before she collapsed, , coming to 3 weeks later after brain surgery she was not expected to survive .
I'm a former Special Ed teacher , and riding teacher, and I am SO IMPRESSED with her determination . We work a lot on patterns , following directions , spoken and written , so the test patterns are a good therapy. She is mot trying to become a dressage rider ,but Dressage principles help her in other ways.

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:18 pm

This is an inspiring young woman, I met here through a handicapt riding program . She clearly remembers the last moment,the head pain , before she collapsed, , coming to 3 weeks later after brain surgery she was not expected to survive .
I'm a former Special Ed teacher , and riding teacher, and I am SO IMPRESSED with her determination . We work a lot on patterns , following directions , spoken and written , so the test patterns are a good therapy. She is not trying to become a dressage rider ,but Dressage principles help her in other ways.
We meet at a boarding facility where she rides a stubborn , stiff not so well trained but basically safe horse. Finding the outside rein, which had not been introduced , has given her much better control over this mare , but the "other trainer " seems to be unhappy with this approach, and is perhaps not happy with her improved sessions.. using knowledge they do not understand .

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:20 pm

I see, so she doesn't board with you, and both you and NH trainer go to the facility to teach? Maybe she sees him around more teaching others (not that you can compare quality vs quantity). Hopefully she makes a good choice.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:48 pm

I wouldn't expect a NH person to know about dressage, its ok. they are for different purposes. I've learned more from NH then dressage lately though, as long as I don't expect a dressage lesson. that is why I have a dressage trainer.

you sort of have to disregard what isn't working and find what is most valuable. It saved my relationship with my horse this winter, I needed more than "inside leg to outside rein".

Bats79
Novice

Postby Bats79 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:08 am

"Warmblood like outside rein"? Why is okay to block a warmblood with a heavy outside rein but not a Lusitano? The horse should be stretching TOO the outside rein not being held in it, whatever the breed.

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:18 am

If it's loose and flopping, what the NH trainer advocates, then its really difficult to stretch into it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 pm

OTOH it is impossible to stretch into a tight held rein.

Return to “Dressage Training”