a fun clinic

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

a fun clinic

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:40 am

To get over my clinic phobia, I've decided to sign myself up for clinics this spring. My first one was this past Sunday with Kaitlin Blythe, JJ Tate's assistant trainer.

In short, I loved it and Emi was a gem! Kaitlin went right to work with us after our warm-up in a gentle yet focused way: Spiral in and out at canter, with attention on the right lead to genuine counter flexion. Then notice the improved connection in the rein when we trotted afterwards. Kind of amazing what being straight through then transition yields. On the left lead, it's all about bend, obey my left leg, bend. Much easier in some ways on the spiral but also so much harder!

I also loved the continuous shoulder-in around the court to half-pass to center line to shoulder-in. To repeat! I think I tend to assume that I can't do miles of half-pass, when in fact that is exactly what Miss Emi, the mare who loves to marinate in a pattern, can learn from!

Variations included travers and renvers on the center line and around the short side after half pass, and eventually mixing in some medium trot.

Kaitlin is really a chip off her mentor---very steady, clear and committed to method over rushing to anything. I loved that she never said "half halt", just said, "rushing, dea; with that" and so we did and half pass and everything else improved.

My barn manager/local trainer may ride Emi in Jeremy Sternberg clinic next (pending); after that I will get to ride with JJ Tate in June. I'm actually excited! And we have been doing some super canter work this week. And even some "real" medium trot. I'm so glad Emi feels strong and happy and is totally down with getting it on. So much fun!!!! We had our best walk-canter/canter-walks on the left lead tonight, probably ever. This was after almost stepping on a turkey hunkered down in the field! Love my little mare.

orono
Herd Member

Re: a fun clinic

Postby orono » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:37 am

Sounds like a wonderful experience, glad it went so well for you!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:00 am

I have encouraged people to maintain a lateral movement through the corners if the hottest begins to anticipate finishing and loses quality.

Sounds liked you enjoyed this yay

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:56 am

Once again piedmontfields, I find myself nodding at the similarities between our horses :)
Glad you had a great time and got so much out of the clinic... but you know we need some pictures right? :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:26 pm

I forgot to mention that I also got to view some of the local airshow (Blue Angels) from horseback as they did their turn around overhead!

As for pictures, I have none. I wish I were one of those people who gets pics of these adventures, but alas I have no staff for taking shots :D I do *not* drag DH to these events!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:18 am

Sounds like a really good clinic :)

demi

Postby demi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:36 pm

piedmontfields wrote:..... Spiral in and out at canter, with attention on the right lead to genuine counter flexion. Then notice the improved connection in the rein when we trotted afterwards. Kind of amazing what being straight through then transition yields. On the left lead, it's all about bend, obey my left leg, bend. Much easier in some ways on the spiral but also so much harder!.....

Could you tell us a bit more about the spiral canter work? Is the spiraling out part the counter flexion?

Also: so glad you enjoyed the clinic and happy to hear Emi is doing so well! Having dealt with health issues in horses I know how disheartening it can be.

I also understand about not dragging the DH to horse stuff! I don't even like to ask mine to video while I'm here at home. But, maybe if your barn manager rides Emi with Jeremy Steinberg you could video it. That would be super good stuff to watch and have on video to study. You may rather watch intently during the ride, but having it on video would let you study in the ride in depth...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:52 pm

demi wrote:Could you tell us a bit more about the spiral canter work? Is the spiraling out part the counter flexion?

For us, the right rein is the soft/less connected side. So to spiral in at canter, I have to think counterflexion when going right in order to keep her sufficiently upright. We then leg yield out with "normal" flexion. Repeat. The left rein is our stiffer side, so we always need flexion and bend, even when spiralling in. And we keep normal flexion when leg yielding out.

I think I found this a useful exercise to return to (I had not done it about 6 months :shock: ) because it is harder than changing flexion on a straightway. The bending lines really show off just how upright and straight you are----or not :D

demi wrote: But, maybe if your barn manager rides Emi with Jeremy Steinberg you could video it. That would be super good stuff to watch and have on video to study. You may rather watch intently during the ride, but having it on video would let you study in the ride in depth...

Demi, that is a very good point. The last time I saw Emi ridden by my trainer in a clinic (with JJ Tate), I was so mesmerized by how good she looked that I totally forgot to even take any photos!!!! I need to learn to multi-task....

Return to “Dressage Training”