Return of the non cantering pony - cantering!

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
greenholmeshandy
Novice

Return of the non cantering pony - cantering!

Postby greenholmeshandy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:26 pm

Two clips from yesterday, one with me on top and one with instructor as we had both come to the conclusion that I wasn't helping pony understand what we wanted. Pony uses her shoulders to drift through the rein and sets her neck, this is her worst evasion as she is too polite to buck bloody awful older rider off! Instuctor is good as she usually rides more conventional dressage types but her first pony was a Fell like mine so she understands how their minds and bodies work.

No comments please on the instructor's riding as she is not seeking any, I would however be grateful for comments on mine , I can see that I am less effectual, tip forward and the main canter issue is mine not pony's. Im somewhat over weight at the moment having comfort eat for six months when my dad was terminally ill, I am working to get it of.

This one shows my ineffectual attempt at getting left canter,

https://youtu.be/O9Y2PHtcq9w

This clip with the instructor shows at the end the first time she has ever mastered left lead when cantering left, I genuinely think she thought she was supposed to always stay on the right lead irrespective of the rein!

https://youtu.be/zC-FqmzfTHM

I have included a very dark clip which shows how forward pony is normally with me, yesterday was hot and high tree pollen count which she is mildly allergic to so she didn't exactly try hard for me and instructor said she could feel her hitting a wall so canter work was kept to short sessions with a breather in between.

https://youtu.be/ndno0-D3qy8
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Return of the non cantering pony - cantering!

Postby Sue B » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Good job with your pony. I see a ton of improvement with you and she. My only observation is that you seem to be quite grippy with your knees, maybe you could work that out on the lunge? Seems like you have a very positive instructor and that she is helping you to gain confidence in yourself as well as pony. Again, GOOD JOB.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Congratulations and good job! I had no doubt that you and she would sort things out ;) These are the types of accomplishments that prove to ourselves we really are where we are meant to be. I admire you for believing in your pony and seeing it through : )

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:59 pm

You have a very attractive pony! I hope these videos give you inspiration to keep on keeping on. Sometimes seeing something is possible is really useful. I hope you share more updates.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Fri May 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Good job, all three of you!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:05 pm

greenholmeshandy wrote:No comments please on the instructor's riding as she is not seeking any, I would however be grateful for comments on mine , I can see that I am less effectual, tip forward and the main canter issue is mine not pony's. Im somewhat over weight at the moment having comfort eat for six months when my dad was terminally ill, I am working to get it of.

I like the way you ride your pony, and can think of lots of ways to break things down more for her.

My own preference would be to start teaching her some bending and lateral work at the walk and trot, which would really help her to find her balance and coordination in canter.

Something else I would do before pushing her to canter under saddle is I'd teach her to canter on the lunge (or at liberty if you have a good space) and I'd work on that until it was easy for her.

She looks like such a nice pony!

Return to “Dressage Training”