New Bliss video for C&C

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Rosie B
500 post plus club

New Bliss video for C&C

Postby Rosie B » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:44 pm

It was Bliss's bday today. Hard to believe he's 6! He's been going really nicely and hasn't put a foot wrong in a long time. Could he possibly be growing up? :)

I took some video today to mark the occasion... I am pleased with parts of this. LOTS to improve upon of course but in general I feel like his balance is coming. He needs to be MUCH more forward (especially in canter), but I think we're on the right track. I have been focusing on keeping SOFT forward feeling hands and I think it's really paying off with increased activity and better connection. Let me know what you guys think! C&C welcome. :)

https://youtu.be/_pWLugm7hkw

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: New Bliss video for C&C

Postby khall » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:37 am

Happy Bday Bliss! Some observations and thoughts on posted video. As a 6 yr old I would be doing more lateral work than is shown, both on straight lines and bending lines. If you are doing HI (saw some HP so assume you are) spiral in on circle in HI and spiral out in SI. If that is too hard, spiral in and then spiral out in SI. String more lateral work together, SI, circle, HI. Try some revere in there. SI and HI on 20 m circle, half and half. Reason I say this is that I would like to see more flexibility in Bliss hind legs. You can do this all in hand as well when you are not able to ride with baby coming. Watch the HP, losing bend in a few strides, so do less strides and either circle to re establish bend or do SI to get bend back. Focus on quality of HP not just getting it done. In the canter it is not so much about forward but about the jump in the canter. Again the flexibility of the hind legs and the activity of the hind legs, all which can be improved with lateral work to build flexibility and strength. I think that is why you see Bliss come above the bit some during up transitions, he needs to fold more in the hind legs to lift and carry himself in the transitions. When doing the mini transitions, which also build flexibility in the hind legs, almost but not quite walk and then go on forward again. I have always liked Bliss, both his movement and his mind. He just looks like a fun horse to work with.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks khall. :) This is quite helpful. I actually took an almost 4 month break from doing any lateral work other than LY, as I felt we had holes in our very basics (acceptance of the aids, forward off the leg, proper bend, etc) and that doing lateral work would make it harder to patch those holes. So I spent all winter just doing w/t/c and LY and transitions and simple figures. I think it helped A LOT and his neck has certainly filled out, and I've just started to re-introduce some lateral work over the last week. I was thrilled to discover that the lateral work has actually gotten LOADS better after the 4 month break - he can carry himself better and keep more activity throughout.

I think you are right though, I need to be doing MORE of it. And focus on quality rather than getting it done. The HPs in the video weren't perfect I know, but I was just happy that we could even do that without losing too much activity so I was enjoying them rather than really schooling them. Thanks for the reminder though to FIX it if things fall apart a bit.

I rode yesterday keeping your advice in mind and he was SUPER. I didn't have a long ride, and I didn't drill the lateral work, but I challenged him for MORE. I did a few SI/circle/SI each way, as well as some Tr, and also did HI to spiral in and SI to spiral out from 20m circles both ways, at trot and canter. After that he felt SO soft and adjustable and buttery. So I will try to build more lateral work in every ride (without overtaxing him).

Thanks again! :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Just a couple of comments, which i hope you will find helpful, if you need me to do screen grabs to explain better let me know. in the warm up where you are working him in a long stretch, and doing the poles, and circles, you are perhaps, overweighting the inside leg and seat bone, in both directions, this had Bliss leaning in on the circles and overweighting his inside front leg. The goal being to get the horse to distribute its weight equally over all four legs at all time, ie balance, i think you need to consider using a little more weight in the outside stirrup, or perhaps a little less stretch until he can do the stretch without leaning in so much. i have found it both challenging and useful to stretch, the horse to the bridle, for say, 3/4 of a circle, then ride them up into an elastic contact for one fourth of the circle and then stretch again, so that they assisted to distribute their balance and then stretch from a balanced position.

i agree with Khall about lateral work. i think a few strides of shoulder in, or even shoulder fore to set up and complete each exercise. lets say you were about to do a canter transition, do a few stride of shoulder fore, then transition, or if you were planning to do a lengthening, a few stride of shoulder in, then lengthen across the diagonal, then as you change bend at the end of the diagonal, shoulder in the other way. be careful of maintaining tempo as you do so.

finally a question, when you were doing the square exercise in the walk, were you slowing the tempo on the corners intentionally? If so, make sure you maintain your walk rhythm.

I think you and your horse look really lovely, and have huge potential. He does look lovely to ride, which is a compliment to the rider.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Thank-you Chisamba! I hadn't noticed that I was weighting the inside too much in the stretchy work. I struggle to remain centered at times so I am sure you are right. I will have to think about that in future rides. I like the idea of 1/4 circle up and 3/4 stretching. I think you are right in that it would help him keep his balance better.

Also good point re. preparation for exercises using more SF. I definitely need to prepare more effectively!

Re. the squares... I wasn't intentionally trying to slow the tempo, but I think I was doing it unconsciously because it makes it easier for him to respond the way I want (ie with a few walk pirouette like steps) than if I was to insist on maintaining the rhythm WHILE doing some WP steps, and I have just started doing these over the past several weeks. Now that he understands the idea a bit more, I think I should be trying to keep the rhythm.

And thanks for your lovely comments... he is an absolute gentleman and a sweetheart, and is ALWAYS fun to ride. :) I feel very fortunate to have such a lovely and willing horse... He really is a dream come true for me. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Because a picture paints a thousand words, and because i could not work or how to add a file in a pm.
Attachments
20160425_161148.png
20160425_161148.png (136.51 KiB) Viewed 12155 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:15 pm

I got a few more if you would like i will e mail them to you

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:31 pm

Lol! BUSTED I guess! Thanks Chisamba. :) I am a little confused by that pic because my shirt isn't pink and I have another one that is exactly that rust colour!! I even looked through all the videos I've ever posted and I'm not wearing that rust coloured shirt in any of them, so it must be from the other day, but I am still baffled by the shirt colour.

Anyway, looking at that pic it looks to me more like I am slipping off to the outside (which I struggle with) than weighting the inside too much... my seat looks slightly shifted to the right. The leaning is blatantly obvious though! Where was that moment from the video? I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks again. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:12 am

Is the same video, the other one i did the shirt looks a different color, it was the process of editing to make the file small enough that changed the hue. I swiped the two on the same day from the same video and the shirts do look different hues

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:15 am

If you give me n email address i can send them without editing the size.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks Chisamba. :) (for inquiring minds that want to know we've been emailing...)

She suggested that I think about weighting the outside stirrup just a touch more, as my inside leg is *always* lower than the outside, despite the fact that it looks like I'm a bit off to the outside. So I tried that last night and we had some LOVELY balance in both trot and canter. :) Thanks for the suggestion!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:03 pm

:D 8-)

demi

Postby demi » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 am

Really nice, Rosie B. I liked watching you work Bliss, and think you'll go a long way with him. For me, a lot of the beauty of dressage comes when it looks easy, smooth, and flowing. That's what I see in your vids. And that kind of harmony doesn't come without a good deal of correctness, so you must be doing something right!

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sun May 01, 2016 1:48 am

I think he is a very fancy boy and you are doing a great job! I think the issue with the canter, isn't you leaning in, it is that I think you need more outside rein to stand him up because he is leaning in. I think your body is in alignment with his (meaning you aren't leaning in more than he is), but that he shouldn't be leaning in as much as he is. So, I think probably way more outside rein in the canter work to help stand him up. Clearly he's a huge mover, so easier said than done I'm sure. :) Perhaps thinking about riding a square with corners instead of a circle might also help. Also, I would say that your reins could be shorter to help maintain a more consistent connection in general.

Love following your progress! :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun May 01, 2016 4:10 am

No critique from me, I think you look great! Thanks for sharing vid it's helpful to see and read the comments :)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon May 02, 2016 4:16 am

He is growing up and looking much nicer and 'round' (as in muscling not frame ;)) .

You have gotten lots of canter advice. I was just going to say that I wouldn't stretch him so much in canter yet...he doesn't have the strength to balance on that one front leg (at that point in the canter stride). I would use more uberstreichen or stretch for 2-3 strides and pick him right back up. I have spent a lot of time working on Karen Rohlf's program and she is big on stretching and even she says that stretching in canter is very tricky and she isn't in a big hurry to get to that point. I agree with Chisamba and khall to challenge him with more lateral work. One I really like is pick up shoulder-in in walk then halt maintaining the SI position. Back to walk maintaining SI position. When that gets good, and transition to trot maintaining the shoulder in position then back to walk in position. When that gets good...transition from shoulder-in trot to canter shoulder fore. If shoulder-in isn't solid, do shoulder fore but through it you will get better control of the shoulders and start engaging and strengthening the inside hind.

He is handsome as usual and you are doing a very good job.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon May 02, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks guys - lots of stuff to think about.

HafDressage - I think you and Chisamba are both right. Yes Bliss is leaning in and I am leaning in too... But I think it will help him balance myself if I am in better balance. I know in theory using more outside rein to support him will help him be straighter, but at the same time I want HIM to hold HIMSELF up. I can help him momentarily (which I am trying to do) but then I have to let him carry it.

Kyra's mom - thanks :) Interesting about the canter stretch. I have only just started doing that. I'll give your SI/SF through transition exercises a try in my next rides. I love that sort of thing - sounds super easy but never is in execution!

I have to be careful not to do *too* much lateral work. Since last week I've been doing a lot and I overdid it... not that that's all I was doing (and I was still letting him stretch/go forward with lots of breaks), but I need to remember that he's got to be HONEST off the leg laterally (with LY), then FORWARD over the back before I can even *think* about any harder lateral work. If I have those two things, the lateral work is also easy. If I don't, it's a parody of what it should be. After a somewhat frustrating ride on Saturday, yesterday I focused on the basics again and he went beautifully. :)

Return to “Dressage Training”