None cantering pony competes - Input urgently sought

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
greenholmeshandy
Novice

None cantering pony competes - Input urgently sought

Postby greenholmeshandy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 am

I have provided a clip from warming up at a competition yesterday , pony was beautifully behaved but oh my riding... anyway I would be grateful for comments as I want to discuss some of my thoughts with my instructor tomorrow and wonder if others see the same as I do. I will try and load clip of the test tonight.

https://youtu.be/tSSeX-WOrxo

warm up - is this a correct outline or over bent?

Exiting after test

formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: None cantering pony competes - Input urgently sought

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:53 pm

I would not consider the pony overbent
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Dp you mean over bent? I'm really worried about the amount of contact, plus my apalling position. Am thinking of selling pony to either a nice breeder or a younger better rider.
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:31 pm

greenholmeshandy wrote:I'm really worried about the amount of contact, plus my apalling position. Am thinking of selling pony to either a nice breeder or a younger better rider.

If your position is so appalling that you're thinking of selling your horse, I certainly am not going to show any but my absolute best pics. I have much worse faults than I see in any of your photos.

ETA: Or in the video.

It looks to me like the rather quick trot tempo makes it difficult for you to find your own rhythm on the horse which is leading to instability. I do not see an over bent horse.
Last edited by capstone on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:03 pm

You both look great, don't be so hard on yourself!

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:03 pm

I don't see overbent at all. If anything, there are times of being above the bit.

I agree about the quick tempo at the trot that capstone mentioned. This will resolve itself in time, as you become more confident, secure, and continue to work with your trainer. Don't give up!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:43 am

Don't be so hard on yourself!! You look fine!! Pony no where near overbent, and if you feel the contact is too heavy, it's probably where you both are at this stage, it isn't preventing him going forward. I think it looks good.

Same about the tempo, just slow your rising down and you'll find he will follow.

Not sure if you were joking about selling him to someone else, but if he was well behaved at a competition and nice pony to be around you should be keeping him!!
Lovely photos, you should be proud of yourselves :)

Mainer
Greenie

Postby Mainer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:18 am

Pony may be over tempo, but definitely not over bent nor over flexed. Something that was very hard for me to learn was that "forward" does not mean faster. You look fine, but bend those elbows :) and be happy that pony is so well behaved!! Looks like a keeper to me.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:30 am

I totally agree with what Flight said. You have a lovely pony and are way too hard on yourself. I'm thinking at times when your pony doesn't canter is because she feels you unbalanced - so she trots to take care of you. Maybe have your instructor ride her in place of a lesson - to get your pony more confirmed with her canter, balanced, and correct leads. Use your lesson to focus on your balance and independent seat /hands. (This is what I did with my guy. He was as strong as a bull. My trainer restarted his basics with ground and riding work.) Can you take any lessons on a school horse who has a confirmed canter? Also, you might find a pommel strap helpful to take hold when you become unsteady - to avoid balancing / hanging on the reins. It took about 2 years for me and now my guy is very enjoyable to ride. Sometimes you need to let a "patient knowledgeable trainer" put some rides on a greener horse/pony. It will help the horse and the student to progress.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:33 pm

i second everything josette said! especially 'you have a lovely pony' andyou are way too hard on yourself'!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:06 pm

I did not think there was much wrong with your position. I agree that perhaps your reins are a bit short and your arms too straight. to enjoy the journey and work on your progress without being so hard on yourself

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:59 pm

Lovely pony! NOT overbent at all. You make a nice pair. (disclaimer - I have a Friesian X who is much like him. See a video down in the horses for sale forum...)
I would work on slowing his tempo, which will help him(and you) be more balanced. Think about YOU controlling the tempo of the trot,not just following along as HE sets the tempo.
As he strengthens over time, he will be able to bring his back legs more under him and stop "falling" down the hill - If you look at the first picture, draw a line from heel-to hip-to shoulder. See how it leans forward? Try to bring your hips more UNDER you (it may require scooting a bit forward in the saddle), and your shoulders over your hips - even when posting. Your hips will swing through your elbows. It will help both of you balance.
Are you working on teaching him the meaning of a half-halt? Walk-almost halt-walk then Trot-almost walk-trot.... that will also help.
Do you ask him to stretch down while using his haunches - that will help his strength as well.

Stop beating yourself up! THis sport is hard enough!!

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:18 am

Are you comfortable on him as in confident and he doesn't scare you? Do you enjoy him? If you answer yes to these questions then you should keep him and enjoy the journey. It isn't all about winning it is about enjoying like my signature says.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Tsuy
Greenie

Postby Tsuy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:09 am

Be kind to yourself - I always say if you stayed on your pony and stayed in the arena it's all good :mrgreen:

Watching the video I was thinking too quick and too short a step
It looked a bit like he was heavy in the bridle as you were trying to keep up & hold him together
Try at home to teach him to listen to your seat - close your knees and slow your rising and not shorten the frame
Quickly reward when he slows by allowing the hand to go forward and encourage him to stretch down into the bridle and swing through
Having said that it is not easy and certainly hard to get out so lots of practice at home
But this is the fun of the journey - I say keep him :D

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:46 pm

What did the judge say?

There is so much to like in the video and pictures. Pony is energetic, willing and as you say, beautifully behaved. You are sitting upright and square, no apparent tipping or leaning. Your leg looks very, very solid. Your hands are quiet and keeping a straight line from bit to elbow. I love how you keep your head up and are looking ahead. I covet your turnout. It is quite elegant. (although maybe a hair net for those wisps).

You will probably never have to worry about bringing your pony behind the vertical. Because of the thickness of her neck, it's not going to be an easy place for her to go, so you can let that worry go. The outline in the first picture is quite nice with a small exception. Her head is slightly tilted, with the inside ear up. That has to do with keeping her pushing evenly from behind, which I'll address in the next paragraph.

What I do see with the pony is that she is slightly, well, um pony gaited, a little short strided and choppy. What is lacking is longitudinal suppleness or bend, at least in the quick video I saw. So I would work on a circle, simply teaching her to bend through the rib cage from your inside leg and position her head slightly to the left from the inside rein. If she fails to listen, come to a gentle halt and explain it to her with a turn on the forehand. Add leg yield to your regime. As the suppleness increases she will relax her back and the length of stride will increase.

I do not expect all those things to come together at a show, so it will take more attention at home.

You have come a million miles with the pony and I would say you are over the hump. Carry on--nice riding!

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:14 am

I agree with everyone regarding the bend and that you are doing a good job. Don't ever tell yourself that you can't ride your own horse or that someone else can ride it better. The reality is, someone out there in the world can always ride all of our horses better, but the point is that we ride them, improve ourselves, and enjoy the journey.

In terms of the canter, I would utilize the lunge line. Your horse should be able to canter several balanced circles without running or rushing on the lunge line before you can really expect that under saddle. Also, while I know not everyone is into voice commands, the more she can canter from voice command, the easier your job will be at first.

Good luck & you guys are adorable. :)

PS. I couldn't not love your flat leather bridle more!

Return to “Dressage Training”