Piaffe practice (and an update)

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Amado
Herd Member

Piaffe practice (and an update)

Postby Amado » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:31 pm

I shared a video a few months ago of some piaffe practice, where I started from the walk, and it was suggested that I try working in and out of the trot too, so here is some video from today doing that. He's staying calm and getting fairly reliable, I'm thinking at some point we need to up the energy and expression (and we need passage too, and he's capable, but I don't know how to do that yet, and really do not have help). Also, there are times while watching I wished I had shortened my reins and pushed my hands forward. But I think (hope) it's getting better. Here's today:

https://youtu.be/0lWEEyK79vo

And this is the one from November:

https://youtu.be/Jap7VrBmEYU

My update is that we are moving AGAIN. (husband's job) This time to a place where there is no dressage, and no place to board, I will have to keep him at home. We are moving from Montana to Northern Maine - and I do mean NORTHERN - almost the top, right on the Canadian border. I don't even know how I'm going to get Rico there. Anybody here from Maine?

DJR
500 post plus club

Re: Piaffe practice (and an update)

Postby DJR » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:41 am

I see definite improvement! I really like how relaxed he is through the transition (the first transition from trot to piaffe, I think, was the best) and he keeps a nice tempo. I'm not nearly far enough along to offer any insights, but from my eyes he looks like he's coming along really well!

That's too bad about moving to a dressage-barren area. Will you have your own indoor arena? You might want to make use of online instruction through videos, perhaps?
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:29 am

There seems to be only one indoor arena in the area, but they don't board. There are a million snowmobile trails that make for wonderful riding trails (when there isn't snow on the ground). We will hopefully start with a sand outdoor. Then see how it all goes. We have to sell our house here first, and it's going to be quite the adventure getting there. About 2800 miles if you go through the US, and 2200 if you go through Canada. We have to be there by the first of July! I'm just taking it one day at a time and trying not to panic!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:53 am

I think there is lovely progress. Definitely collection. Lowering of haunches and maintaining rhythm. I hope your journey to the east coast is a good one

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am

To my eye you've made huge progress! He makes it look so easy and stays so relaxed throughout. Good job!

I am in Southern NB (Saint John to be exact). Where are you going exactly? You can PM me if you like. There are quite a few barns in my area that bring in some BNTs and we also have a level 3 dressage coach that comes in about once a month. We'd be roughly 4 hours away from you, depending on where you are... There are also a few barns in Fredericton that bring in BNTs and have indoors, and that would be closer to you.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Rosie, we are moving to Fort Kent. It's about 34 miles southeast of Edmunston. I've been wondering about dressage in Canada near there, but a lot of it comes up in French when I google! I would love it if I could find some help a little closer. I think my options in the states are really far away. I did finally realize a dream, though - we sold my husbands car and bought a truck and used horse trailer, I've never had that before, and now I can actually go places with Rico.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:42 pm

So you'd be about 3 hours from Fredericton and 4 hours from Saint John. There is also a rather grass roots dressage barn in Cap Pele (5 hours away). Almost everything that happens in our province for dressage is posted here and we have quite an active community.
www.dressagenb.ca

Dressage NB holds 4-5 shows a year in Sussex (4 hour drive), and has recently started doing a big clinic there once a year with a BNT as well.

Some of the clinicians that have been coming in over recent years include Cindy Ishoy, John MacPherson, and Lee Tubman. Sue Fraser (level 3 dressage coach and judge) is usually in the province at least once a month as well.

There's a lot of dressage in Quebec as well, but I know nothing about their scene. :)

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:06 pm

Thank you for all the information!

Mainer
Greenie

Postby Mainer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Fort Kent - yikes. I live in Edgecomb on the midcoast and there is very little dressage going on here. Quite a bit more in southern Maine, but even for me that would mean a 1-2 hour drive. There is a Maine Dressage Association that has four parts to it - Western Maine, Central Maine, Eastern Maine and Northern Maine Dressage Association. But even the Northern Maine Dressage Association seems like it is no where near you. Seems like you might do better in Canada.
Good luck - you and your horse look fantastic!

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Yes, I looked up the Northern Maine Dressage Association, and it looked like it was halfway down the state! :lol:

demi

Postby demi » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 am

Wow! Thanks for posting the progress. I'm not in a position to offer critique but I can make a comment: Wow! It's smoother and nice to watch.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun May 01, 2016 4:15 am

That is very cool!!!! Very exciting to see people piaffing! It looks really calm and correct to me.
Goodluck with the move!

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Fri May 06, 2016 1:37 pm

It's coming nicely. Energy is the first thought that came to my mind too. In your quest to add energy, start to think of the piaffe as a means to improve the other gaits, rather than as an exercise in itself. Piaffe can improve canter quite a lot, as the horse learns to lift his shoulders. Perhaps adding a few canter/walk or trot transitions before asking for the half steps.

khall

Postby khall » Sat May 07, 2016 2:42 am

Really good progress!! I agree with KJ re energy. How I have asked for passage before is medium trot on circle and then half halt to passage, there is a rhythm to the aids. Shortened trot polls help and deep grass, all can be used to give the horse the idea on passage. I have also allowed the piaffe to move forward into soft passage, then back to piaffe. I inadvertently got some passage on my big guy the other day, was working on forward and back in the trot on a slope. Forward up the slope and shorten going down, half halted as we started down and got passage.

I also like allowing some forward in the piaffe to keep the energy, your guy is keeping his rhythm nicely, but could have a bit more energy so can you try to allow a bit of forward in the piaffe? I like KJ tend to use the piaffe to improve and strengthen the horse not just by itself. It really strengthens the horse.

Return to “Dressage Training”