Lee Tubman lesson report

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Rosie B
500 post plus club

Lee Tubman lesson report

Postby Rosie B » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I had a lesson with Lee Tubman today. I had never ridden with him before and I was super impressed with his eye and his ability to explain things. He went right to the root of the problems, called us out, and then we tackled them head on in a very non-confrontational way. He knew after 1 circle for instance which way was Bliss's easy side and which was the stiff side. He identified immediately that Bliss can fake it all day long with his neck too high looking very pretty without really coming through from behind. So he had me be really soft with the hands and let him have a longer rein to try to get him stretching more over the topline to work the muscle in front of the wither. Then he called us out again once Bliss started going with a lower neck for him being behind the bit. So we focused on having him STRAIGHT with a good half halt. Then when things were going well he had me give forward slightly with both hands and at the same time pushing him a bit more forward to encourage him to stretch more over the back. He felt super at times. He was very light in the hand, quite straight, and super responsive to the half halts. He didn't have as much power in the gaits as I know he can, but it's a continuum and I'm really happy with where he is now. I think focusing on balance and thoughness is the order of the day and I can build on the power when all the prerequisites are in place.

Lee is an absolute stickler for the basics so there were some riders that only did walk trot for the whole lessons and came away with minds blown. I considered myself fortunate that I was allowed to canter a bit. ;)

I am posting a video now (it will take a few hours to load) and it doesn't show anything earth shattering, but my lesson today confirmed that I am on the right track so I am thrilled. In the mean time, here are a few pics. :) Comments and critiques welcome. :)
Attachments
Bliss1.jpg
Bliss1.jpg (60.42 KiB) Viewed 9647 times
Bliss3.jpg
Bliss3.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 9647 times
Bliss4.jpg
Bliss4.jpg (63.03 KiB) Viewed 9647 times

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Re: Lee Tubman lesson report

Postby Rosie B » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:09 am

A couple more...
Attachments
Bliss13.jpg
Bliss13.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 9643 times

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:18 am

Love, love ,love Lee! I have watched a number of lessons given by him to students of various levels and I have come away with so much information. He is very funny and down to earth. He gets his point across without making the rider feel incompetent. Softness in the jaw and poll, correct half-halts and riding the correct geometry lead to soft, supple, straight horses that will "send him a birthday card in thanks for for the improved riding" :lol:

Cheers!
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:25 am

Don't know this clinician but he sounds like my kind of trainer. Glad you had a positive lesson(s) with him.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:59 am

This sounds great! And similar issues I'm having with my guy, so will be interested to watch your video :)

demi

Postby demi » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:47 am

I can't give a critique but I can give a comment: very,very pretty pictures. Looks like music.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks guys! Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/5VTLGbV1PJ0

It seems we can't embed videos yet so I've just put the link. :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks for sharing your vid!

somantu
Greenie

Postby somantu » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:46 am

Thanks for the report!
I've only seen Lee Tubman ride a few times, mostly in the practice ring at the Royal. He is so elegant and quiet and effective.
Proud Rubenesquestrian

Return to “Dressage Training”