Goals and progress... August and September!

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Brydie
Herd Member

Goals and progress... August and September!

Postby Brydie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:10 am

After my last ride for July, I am ready to start my goals for August and September!

I just created a spreadsheet with all my scores and made an average. Here is my list of all prelim movements and average scores (highest to lowest):

Stretchy circle............................6.75
10m loop right............................6.667
Change rein diagonal, canter to trot...6.667
Free walk..................................6.625
Centrelines................................6.472
Change rein diagonal (trot).............6.417
10m loop left.............................6.333
Trot to walk...............................6.167
20m circle left (trot)....................6.167
Walk to trot...............................6.125
Canter to trot.............................6.097
20m circle right (trot)...................6.083
Trot to canter left........................6.083
20m circle left (canter).................6.083
20m circle right (canter)...............6.069
Trot to canter right......................5.986
Total:......................................6.299

Goals!

After our big break we really need to get our fitness up so trot/canter sets once per week.
Work on our trot to canter, canter to trot and canter circles (increase our averages in those areas at our show in two weeks!)
Start incorporating more Novice and Elementary work into our schooling sessions. Novice to become the normal work by the end of September, with more Elementary.

Here's our trot/canter work from today https://youtu.be/P150b6oIRAw comments/critiques welcome.

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Goals and progress... August and September!

Postby Flight » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:56 am

Interesting looking at the averages like that. You look like you are both going really nicely, steady and consistent (all no stirrups too!!).
Definitely start with the more gymnastic exercises now, lots more lateral stuff, smaller circles, SI on a circle etc. When you start it, it feels rough and it isn't steady but in a short time they get the hang of it, and get stronger/more supple and it makes a big difference to your basic paces going straight/20m circles.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:27 pm

I made some progress in the past month. No longer having to (or rather feeling like I have to) nag for each stride of trot or canter, we are able to work on exercises/movements and not just the most basic of the basics. The energy is 100x better but still not quite sufficient - still not really achieving his true working gaits.

So this is my goal for the coming rides. To let go, mentally and physically, even more. To be even more energetic with my own "energy". My Swiss riding instructor (ex-instructor actually, but that is another, sad story) had me doing visualizations to put myself in the frame of mind where I could allow myself to go faster. To allow the horse to go faster. She actually had me doing exercises to go faster/slower. (I should say that when she says "faster" she means more ground cover - it is a language issue, French/English.) In doing these exercises, interestingly, it became somewhat more difficult to go slower and somewhat easier to go faster due to my body control issues. This hasn't yet fully translated into my rides at home on Cartier, but it is a work in progress.

So I'm going to post a short video fro my last lesson at home, on July 22. I rarely contribute more than words to these threads but I do have this video and I think it is quite representative of where we stand at the moment. As my trainer said, "you look pretty; he looks pretty but it still isn't enough". And there is the matter of my unsteady right hand and my seat which is pumping more than it should be.

https://youtu.be/Nnmh_QHvqo4

I'm not asking for a critique, per se. I do have instructors on 2 continents. ;) And you can hear my trainer on the video saying "A little bigger - push it out". But I think it's nice to see, as well as read about, where someone is at in their journey.

My other goal is to lose a bit of weight; that will help too. I have actually ridden well at many sizes, both thinner and heavier than I am now. But with Cartier, I need to be more fit and that translates to losing some weight.

Well, those are my goals.

Cartier's goal for August is to polish off an I-1 freestyle so that he is ready to show it in September. Depending on schedules, etc. he may or may not get a chance to try to get 2016 qualifying scores for the freestyle. Either way, he will go out one more time before Championships in October. Temperatures are so bad and most of the remaining shows are in Houston, San Antonio. This is the biggest concern at this point. It was miserable in Houston in June; it will surely be worse in August/September.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:10 pm

This weekend was a fantastic end to the month, and has left me with clear goals for August/Sept.

For the first time, we've started pushing what where mini lengthenings in to true lengthenings. We've felt for a while that he had more in the tank, and we were getting suspicious that he was getting wise to how much he had to actually offer. The feel was fantastic, a little low and of course, since none of this is borne out of true collection yet, it's a little flat, but this little PRE is going to have a stunning extension!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 26923 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (78.72 KiB) Viewed 26923 times

Since we started pushing longitudinally out, we're going to start testing the other way. The first trot/halts were introduced. I couldn't have asked for more. In fact, I have to be careful to not ask for more. He steps so far under, that he's not strong enough to hold it, so he tries to take a step back. I just have to be careful that I don't push him past what he can hold, and that stepping back doesn't become habitual.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (120.05 KiB) Viewed 26923 times

The other huge thing is counter canter, especially on the right lead. He will do perfect loops on the left, and I can't even do a shallow loop on the right without him flipping up front. Of course, the issue is straightness, and he wanting to twist my hip to hold the lead. But by the end of Sept, I want that cc to be equal on both leads. The exercise that we tried today was right lead, turn up center line, get to the wall ASAP, hold cc down the wall and then attempt the short side. It worked great for us because I was able to hold him straighter and myself straighter!

So, goals: trot/halts, more true lengthenings, cc. And of course all of the basics :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:59 pm

Gosh, yes. It's August tomorrow!

I haven't been entirely happy with my position recently, especially at the canter. Just not balanced and struggling for neutral.

Before my lesson today it occurred to me that I haven't changed the shims in my shim pad, really forever. Well, the boy has sprouted quite a back in the mean time, it would appear. My saddle wasn't level. We pulled all but one thin shim out and it was a totally different ride. In a good way.

So I now have a message in to my saddle fitter to come do some tweaking.

Still tinkering with bits and bridles. Back in the Micklem for a try atm, but am also going to call the vet tomorrow to come look at teeth again.

But... it turns out that Charlie Tota, he of the eponymous noseband, is an old buddy of my trainer. A bunch of people in the barn ride in saddles he sold them and two other people need new saddles, so he is coming to visit in early September, and will bring one of his bridles for me to try. I shall report back! He will also give me some advice on double bridle bits, because we will be into that soon enough

I'm in the process of selling a saddle--I think I've already pre-spent the entire proceeds!

We show again in two weeks. Just doing one day of a two day show that weekend, and the the following weekend is our GMO annual show, which will be a big time sleepover as the venue is way out in the west desert (In mid August,,, yay...)

We are trying to get together a clinic with Verena Mahin at the end of September. It'll be nice if that comes off.

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:13 am

Your pics always make me a little jealous Dresseur! Lovely!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:15 am

This might be the 2- month period where I mount up. We'll see. Pickle has been making great progress though, and I don't have a bunch of travel interrupting things now, so I'm optimistic that she'll be ready in September.

Meantime, trailering out will be a weekly focus, and we'll continue in-hand work and hopefully figure out half-pass.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:26 am

Brydie, i'm fixin' to go to bed and you're just getting started for the day. I am feeling the heat of a hot summer and your Red is probably putting on his winter coat. So nice how the internet lets us experience the hugeness and the smallness of the earth at the same time!!

I loved Dresseurs' latest photos, too. I can appreciate the place she is at the moment but can also appreciate that we are all at different places and we each have a nice contribution to this thread.

Fascinating world we live in, isn't it?

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:46 am

For Aug and Sept, I plan on continuing to quiet myself on Emma. I can't remember exactly how long i have been in the "quiet, still seat mode" but it seems like around a month since Flight pointed out that i was blocking Emma with my hands. I have been working on just stopping the blocking ever since. And that has been pretty much all I've been working on. At walk and trot. Emma is responding. I think maybe the reason she did the bucking the other day was partly because my aid for canter from walk was SO much clearer than it has been since i started the new "still, static free" way. I think it may have surprised her. But also, as Chisamba pointed out, mares can be opinionated at times and a still seat is so important to circumvent their opinions...

Additionally, for Aug and Sept, I plan to get the George Williams "4 exercises for getting the horse on the bit" (on youtube/ Dressage hub) on video with Emma. I have done this exercise with her but it was while I was still blocking her with my hands, and also confusing her with too much static from my seat and legs.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:52 am

August is the last month of my 4 month suspensory rehab program. I've been riding 4-5 days a week, doing only walk and increasing sets of trot on hard ground. Odin is doing fantastically, and he feels ready to work. So crossing all fingers and toes that our scan in mid August clears us for going back into proper work in September!

We had a break-in at the yard 3 weeks ago, all saddles stolen. I've gritted my teeth and carried on bareback, trot sets and all. I'll be damned if I set us back even one day :D Bareback riding has really opened my eyes to how much Odie likes to hang on my hands. With the support of the saddle, it really was not too much of an issue, but now I really feel how much it pulls us both off balance. So I've been focusing so much on getting his head up and out, and off my hands. I think I will definitely throw in one or two bareback rides a week from now on, if I can. I've been loving it!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:11 am

capstone wrote:
My other goal is to lose a bit of weight; that will help too. I have actually ridden well at many sizes, both thinner and heavier than I am now. But with Cartier, I need to be more fit and that translates to losing some weight.

Thanks for posting video, as now I have pix to go with your words, which I think makes posts much more interesting. You look really good on him, and he's such an attractive horse.

My concept of getting fit is to try to turn fat into muscle, or at least add more muscle underneath it, because I certainly could use more muscle. Which goes along with my main goal, which is to get out there and put a saddle on my horse and ride, because if I can get started, even if I tell myself I'm only going to walk around a few times, I'll get going and work on something.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:58 pm

demi wrote:For Aug and Sept, I plan on continuing to quiet myself on Emma. ... I think maybe the reason she did the bucking the other day was partly because my aid for canter from walk was SO much clearer than it has been since i started the new "still, static free" way. I think it may have surprised her.

Demi, I've enjoyed your reminders to ride in a quiet, static-free way. I am trying to get even quieter on Emi, as it really makes her much more responsive not to mention happier. I have totally had the bucking fit after a too firm depart aid. It's offensive to my mare, and I always apologize (after laughing) afterwards!

Capstone, I love the video with your horse. And I really do know that it is serious work to get beyond "pleasant" and "attractive"!

I think power development with connection will continue to be our themes for the next two months.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:42 pm

Oh Mari, you're way ahead of me. I am in month 10 of a suspensory injury (hind). As of about a month ago, we were up trotting 31 long sides (walking through the corners) in "sets" of 4. Vet now says we can trot the corners, but we were to start with 5 mins (out of 45), adding 5 mins every two weeks. We're up to 15 mins now, and will start 20 mins Aug. 8. Vet will see him again sometime around Aug. 22nd, probably for ultrasound. If he were a quieter horse, I'd hack him down the road, but he's not, so that would be counterproductive and we're sticking to the arena and just walking around the property on the (mostly) level bits.

I did - in a fit of optimism, purchase a new bridle to replace my 35 year old every-day bridle (It's still perfectly usable, but looking kinda "eh" these days - even cleaning leaves it looking sort of sad).

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:27 pm

I know I don't post much on these threads, but I do enjoy reading about what everyone else is doing. Sometimes I'm trying to read several days worth at once, and end up not commenting as much as I'd like to. I appreciate everyone who posts pictures and videos; I think there is much to be learned by watching how others ride.

My goals for August and September, now that my horse's navicular issue seems to be manageable through shoeing, is to work more on trot. We've been doing lots of walk work, with some w/t transitions on his 'good' days for several months now, and there has been a ton of improvement in how he carries himself, and the power in his hind end. But it will be nice to focus on developing trot now, not just allowing him to go 4 or 5 strides in trot and then doing a downward transition. It feels like we've improved so much with my new trainer, just doing 95% walk work since April, that I'm excited to see what being able to work with her on his trot is going to create.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:02 pm

Thought I'd post a baseline, just in case it might help me stay focused for the next couple of months.

My goal is to let go of my obsession with straightness for now, and try to develop more impulsion without getting him against the bit (which, when I get that,comes from anxiety rather than understanding).

I want to continue to dissect examples of pseudo-collection vs true collection so I don't make the mistake of teaching him to flex in front while trailing behind, because I would like to get at least a small amount of collection before I'm done with this project.

My main goal is simply to get out and ride, but having other goals in mind does usually help with achieving my main goal.

I'm hoping that his crookedness, and straight hind leg, won't prevent us from getting some collected work, but I guess we'll see.

https://youtu.be/LoBEtLtSIOs

demi

Postby demi » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Yay Kande! Glad your in this round! I watched the vid and at first I thought "Whaaaaat? She's going to run a barrel pattern :lol: "
I totally relate to just getting out and riding. I am happy that at my age I still ride, and good training rides are just icing on the cake. The goals and progress threads are a big motivator for me. Seeing the progress of the others on this thread and knowing that we all face our own challenges, is a special thing, even more so for those of us that don't have the comraderie of a boarding stable.

kande50 wrote:...Thought I'd post a baseline, just in case it might help me stay focused for the next couple of months.

My goal is to let go of my obsession with straightness for now, and try to develop more impulsion ...

So what's your plan to develop more impulsion, if you care to share it"? I ask because one of the things about this thread that I've found so helpful is that making an actual plan is the magnifying glass that helps me to focus.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:51 pm

demi wrote:Yay Kande! Glad your in this round! I watched the vid and at first I thought "Whaaaaat? She's going to run a barrel pattern :lol: "

I like the barrels in the corners because it gives him a visual to bend around, so he gets lots of bending practice without much input from me.

So what's your plan to develop more impulsion, if you care to share it"? I ask because one of the things about this thread that I've found so helpful is that making an actual plan is the magnifying glass that helps me to focus.

What Chisamba said makes sense to me: get him moving forward more first, and then try to get him to shift his weight off his fronts without losing impulsion.

I've been working on better responses to the "go" cues for awhile now, and just recently started to push him to lengthen more on the long sides and across the diagonals. I do let him slow on the corners because I don't want him to strain himself trying to negotiate tight corners, but I've been keeping them fairly tight so that he needs to bend to get around it. (His preference is to counter bend.)

The hard part of course, will be to figure out how to get him to lift the weight off his fronts while still pushing from behind. It sounds so simple to just direct it upwards instead of forward, but there's a big coordination and flexibility issue there that I haven't really figured out, yet. :-)

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Demi - being quieter is something I also need to work on.

Kande good to see a baseline! Will be interesting to see where we end up and hopefully see obvious progress!

Flight - how's the weather been down there? We are on day 4 of rain now. Lucky it coincides with my 3-4 monthly overtime work days, and hopefully gets better from tomorrow. Would prefer to get in some more rides before our show. Red will be good no matter what though (all about me!)

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:29 am

2nd day of blue sky here! I'm about to go out and wage war on my capeweed while I can.

bluesky.jpg
bluesky.jpg (62.83 KiB) Viewed 26726 times

I've been riding my young horse, we were getting a bit dependent on my hand and sure enough when I gave him the rein he would speed up. So, I've been a lot more conscious of the contact and how I'm using it and trying to use it a lot less.
I'm still struggling with my riding position, I think trying to have a firmer thigh and all this thought about thighs just made me hang on with them and pop my seat up out of the saddle. So, I've been going for the longer, more relaxed thigh and I think this is working better for me. I need to get my legs down and around the horse more because that helps me from being pushed off to the side. Still keeping a strong core, and pelvis under too.

I don't think I will ever sit to his trot! He is so bouncy! My instructor said it's because at the moment he is pushing off with his hind legs and swinging them out behind him, rather than stepping under and pulling his body forward, and to be patient because with time/gymnastic work, that should sort itself out. (fingers crossed).

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:06 am

Flight wrote:I've been riding my young horse, we were getting a bit dependent on my hand and sure enough when I gave him the rein he would speed up. So, I've been a lot more conscious of the contact and how I'm using it and trying to use it a lot less.

Just the opposite for me: if I stop pushing my horse slows down. So I'm trying to concentrate on teaching him to keep going--without making him nervous so that he gets against the bit. It's a delicate balance, and is really about making him sensitive enough to the "go" cues so that it takes minuscule cues to tell him to keep going. But then I guess that's what it's all about: invisible cues so that it looks like the horse is doing it on his own.

I don't think I will ever sit to his trot! He is so bouncy! My instructor said it's because at the moment he is pushing off with his hind legs and swinging them out behind him, rather than stepping under and pulling his body forward, and to be patient because with time/gymnastic work, that should sort itself out. (fingers crossed).

It's what collection is all about, because as they bring their hinds under more and take more weight on them (and I'm beginning to realize that it doesn't have to be a lot more weight) the way they use their front end becomes more "rolling" and fluid, and that's much easier to sit than their much stiffer natural way of trotting.

My horse has a stiff back, steep shoulder, bouncy hind end, and a jarring trot. But it smooths out considerably when he shifts his weight back more and starts lifting his front end a bit. He's still not loose enough in his back to be able to collect, but even a small amount of collection (not even sure what to call it when it first starts) makes a huge difference in my ability to stay more stable in the saddle.

But then, you have a horse who is further along in his training don't you, so you already know how it works! :-)

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Kiwi and I have clearance to W/T/C! Yesss. Because her injury is on the righthand side of the base of her neck, we won't yet do a whole lot of work on the bit. But we can do long trot/canter sets. Victory!

That does mean that my goal of a show at the end of August is probably out. But at least we're off walk duty.

Goals for these next two months are:
- Get back to 3rd-ish level fitness by end of September
- Order me some new boots
- Plan out a show schedule for the end of the year

kande50 wrote:I do let him slow on the corners because I don't want him to strain himself trying to negotiate tight corners, but I've been keeping them fairly tight so that he needs to bend to get around it. (His preference is to counter bend.)

A little critique-- I see a lot of flexion through the neck but not much through is body. Keeping his nose more in the center of his chest will require him to bend his body and may enable you to unlock more impulsion.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
A little critique-- I see a lot of flexion through the neck but not much through is body. Keeping his nose more in the center of his chest will require him to bend his body and may enable you to unlock more impulsion.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on that from where I'm sitting, although I have to admit that it's been so hard to get him to flex his neck to the left that I do tend to overflex it (laterally) just to try to help loosen him up. But it's perfectly possible that by overflexing his neck that somehow makes it harder for him to bend his body.

I think now that I'm stable enough on him so that I can actually apply suggestions for exercises, I'll start a new thread.

I lengthened down the long side today and when I came into the corner I pressed him to keep going, and did get a stride that almost felt like he was going to canter. So now I'm wondering if that's what I should be aiming for on the corners? I'll post the video later.

Congrats on clearance to w/t/c now, because as much as I like to work in walk some days, a steady diet of it would be super frustrating! And probably even more frustrating for you because you can do so much more.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 pm

kande50 wrote:Congrats on clearance to w/t/c now, because as much as I like to work in walk some days, a steady diet of it would be super frustrating! And probably even more frustrating for you because you can do so much more.

Thanks! Yes, it's been a challenge for me. Darn goal-orientated personality.

However, as a bonus, Kiwi has become a much more trustworthy trail horse. Cows, round bales, dogs, equipment, terrain-- all old-hat. Still working on opening/closing gates though.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:24 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:49 pm

Kimba: begin to take shoulder in into half pass in trot.

Smoother elastic, consistent.

Introduce little counter canter.

Deneb: begin to develop more carrying behind and lift of the withers by starting real shoulder in.
Fitness and strength.

Me: loose weight, improve fitness.
Last edited by Chisamba on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:38 am

Well...I thought I was back on this thread (meaning actually being able to ride) but drat...I'm mostly down to hanging out with my dear pony and doing ground work. I am going to try to ride when my butt allows. Most people post about their horses' injections...me, I'm scheduled for an injection into my ganglion impar and around my little tailbone "tail"...or should I say spike :twisted: ...at the end of the month. If that doesn't do the trick and give me significant relief, I am going to pursue a coccygectomy :shock: :P . Just have the whole sucker removed. I have no idea what that bodes for any riding future. Most of my immediate family is also having health issues so that is taking a chunk of time too. I am the most able bodied one at the moment and that is scary. So I just have to ride it out and see what comes my way. I will try to keep the horse entertained. I have been doing ground work and the other day, I jumped her on line a bit to try and give her some variety.

Like mareless, I enjoy keeping up with everyone.

Happy riding all.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:05 am

My goals in August is to ride with new instructor in FL. She rode with Bettina Drummond for 10 yrs and has traveled to Portugal and has ridden with a trainer there who also rode with Nuno Olivera. I am just taking my gelding Rip and great thing is that my DH and DS will be able to fly down for one night (DH is a private pilot) so we can go to the beach Saturday after I ride. I will try to ride twice Saturday weather permitting and once Sunday before heading home. The big guy is going very well even with the lighter riding with the heat and humidity we are dealing with.

My mare is going very well also. Great in hand work and nicely forward US. Need to work more on canter with her. My older mare is just getting light lunging and some work in hand.

Our hay barn is going up this week so that means I'll have all my hay right here on the farm no more hauling it in by trailer/truck load. We are also getting some pretty hay off our fields which should save me about $3000 a year.

We are looking forward to some cooler weather. It's been a long hot Georgia summer here.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:33 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:If that doesn't do the trick and give me significant relief, I am going to pursue a coccygectomy :shock: :P . Just have the whole sucker removed. I have no idea what that bodes for any riding future.

Yikes! Why is it that they can't just go in there and grind/cut the little spike off?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:13 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:Well...I thought I was back on this thread (meaning actually being able to ride) but drat...I'm mostly down to hanging out with my dear pony and doing ground work. I am going to try to ride when my butt allows. Most people post about their horses' injections...me, I'm scheduled for an injection into my ganglion impar and around my little tailbone "tail"...or should I say spike :twisted: ...at the end of the month. If that doesn't do the trick and give me significant relief, I am going to pursue a coccygectomy :shock: :P . Just have the whole sucker removed. I have no idea what that bodes for any riding future. Most of my immediate family is also having health issues so that is taking a chunk of time too. I am the most able bodied one at the moment and that is scary. So I just have to ride it out and see what comes my way. I will try to keep the horse entertained. I have been doing ground work and the other day, I jumped her on line a bit to try and give her some variety.

Like mareless, I enjoy keeping up with everyone.

Happy riding all.

Susan

Shoot, I was really hoping you were on the up and up this time. At least you know what the root of the problem is now?

I could probably start getting back out there once or twice a week to ride if you'd like. Need to get my legs back under me before I throw one over the Pickle next month anyway.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:10 am

kande50 wrote:Yikes! Why is it that they can't just go in there and grind/cut the little spike off?

I don't think so. It is hard to even find a surgeon that has done a coccygectomy. But, as in all surgeries, you sure as heck want to find someone that has experience. Unfortunately, the surrounding anatomy is very important and because I have had the thing so long, the coccyx is fused to my sacrum and immobile so that just removing the spike would likely not give me much relief. Don't know... I hope the injections work for a significant period of time. The journey will be interesting :P :roll: :| . Yes, it is in one way a relief that I know what the problem is (and not, you know, just in my mind all these years....) but then again I'm sitting on a freaking spike :P .

For sure Nika if you have the time...I have the horse :mrgreen: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:17 am

Finally some blue skies (when I rode this morning but they're grey now...) And spring is definitely on the way... Red started to shed a few hairs :D

Today I incorporated Novice level work into our ride. ALL the trot requirements. From a thread on improving lateral suppleness thread I started last year we rode the "ridden mandala" exercise suggested by AmityBee. So 10m circles, on the trip up the long side we did a head to the wall leg yield (needs improvement), and on the return to track from a half 10m circle we lengthened a bit (not too much, though on our last one we did he wanted to go for it!). Need a bit more energy but went pretty well for his fitness levels at the moment.

I think we need to do canter before our trot work because the time we get to canter we're both tired and I get frustrated it's not improving! Our trot is also better after we canter so I'll start canter work after warm up then do our trot work. Hopefully we'll start to see more improvement that way. I really need to lose a few kgs that I've gained and improve my fitness so I can last a whole schooling session riding my best.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Brydie wrote:.... From a thread on improving lateral suppleness thread I started last year we rode the "ridden mandala" exercise suggested by AmityBee. So 10m circles, on the trip up the long side we did a head to the wall leg yield (needs improvement), and on the return to track from a half 10m circle we lengthened a bit (not too much, though on our last one we did he wanted to go for it!). Need a bit more energy but went pretty well for his fitness levels at the moment...

I really like the "ridden Mandala" too. I used it for a while when AmityB first posted it and then just started using it again this week. This time it was better than the first time I used it, I think because I've been focusing on my seat, position, aids and stuff so much. The exercise is nice because it naturally flows. I think that flowing quality lends itself to helping the horse move freely forward. Plus, once I learned the exercise, I no longer have to think about what I'm going to do next, so I can stay focused on seat, position, aids, and stuff...it would be a nice exercise to get on video!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:15 pm

Can you a link to that older post for "ridden mandala"? Thanks! :)

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:38 pm

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:20 am

Excellent - thank you!

leheath8
Greenie

Postby leheath8 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:18 am

Well I was hesitant to join this one because we haven't had a good start so far. Having just sorted out the foot wear imbalance causing her previous perceived lameness, she developed another weird not-quite-right-ness! This time it was soon accompanied by a fairly significant allergic reaction to something that resulted in her entire hindquarters being so itchy she rubbed herself raw, would practically sit on anyone who even got near her hind end, and approx. half the left side of her haunches had significant welt-like raised areas. We can't tell if the not-quite-right-ness is from the intense itchiness just making her so uncomfortable that she takes weird steps or if it is masking something else going on. She still wants to work (and is so disappointed if we don't) but I don't want to make things worse. I also worried about stress increasing any inflammation so we withdrew from our show this weekend. :(

So, our goals for the rest of August and September are first to figure out what is going on and get her 100% sound. She is really making progress in her dressage, especially in her canter departs and balance, which is an area we will continue to focus on (although I think her jumping is having the most impact on this area of development) along with her lateral work as we progress to travers and renvers in trot. We are also working on focus and consistency and hoping for a 70% in Intro A/B at our two planned dressage shows in September (10th and 17th).

She has reached a point where she needs more challenge in her jumping. I am super careful about not over facing her (or myself - I haven't jumped anything bigger than a cross rail in 4 years!) but even I have admitted that it is time to move up from our mostly 2'3" jumps (even including bending lines and 10-jump complex jumper courses). She gets cocky as soon as she gets bored (e.g. I know what I am doing, let me do it...which is sometimes fine and sometimes she really did need my input!) and she is going best over 2'6" oxers and still is barely having to use herself. So I am aiming to start moving the jumps up at home (using gymnastics to make it easier for us both) and prepare for our first jumper show on September 18th. I'd like to enter a 2'0"-2'3" division - she backs off a fair amount at a show and I want a positive experience. We are also planning a cross country clinic over Labor Day and hope to make a slightly better impression that our last ride with this clinician (her first XC experience where ditches, banks, and water were pretty good, but everything in between no so much!).

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:56 am

Had our first lesson of the month today. We did some shoulder-fore in trot to walk to trot transitions, leg yield in trot to canter, walk to canter and in preparation for canter to walk, shorten a bit in canter and back out.

Boyfriend was there to video so I took a few stills :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:55 am

I had my saddle reflocked and fitted yesterday. What a difference... it had rather snuck up on me how much his back had changed in the past year.

I can find my seat bones and am much more balanced and straight and he feels much less rushy, especially in the right lead canter. So I had a super lesson this morning.

However, I feel like I have been hit by a truck this evening... my lower back, hips and thighs hate me right now. I just don't handle position changes well, it would appear. A 2 ibuprofen night, I think!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:07 am

Good pics, Brydie; looks like you're having a great time!

I wish I'd thought to get some pics, but I hauled out to a local arena that had a rare unbooked weekend. There just happened to be three women there practicing driving - one of them with a pair of minis. Pickle was VERY suspect of the minis both when they were loose in the arena, and when they were hitched to the cart. Their owner was very nice about letting us stand there and stare and snort. :lol: She was a little more accepting of the full-sized horses driving around, but still pretty suspect. We had the indoor to ourselves and got some good ground driving done, so it was nice to see that she could keep her head about her while away from home. She also took a good look at the mules that live at the property and didn't flip out.

I need to get out to our local state park this week and see how bad the mosquitoes are; if it's still tolerable out there, that will be our next field trip destination.

Last night I hopped on Susan's mare Kyra for a few minutes and confirmed that I still sort of remember how to ride, and that my new AP saddle works for me. Will be trying to get out there 2x a week or so for the next few weeks, and then I think it will be time to sit my butt on my girl and see what happens. :D
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:03 am

Brydie, looking good! You're already riding in a T-shirt.
Weather is good here now too (getting hot in my thermals and fleece) but I'm back at work!! 4 months off just went so fast.

My little black horse Ding seems sound :) Had a quick ride today and felt fine, so I'll lightly ride him this week and see what happens. Fingers crossed. Horses are starting to shed and there's buds on the trees. Love the feeling of heading into spring.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Guys :)

I am enjoying reading everyone's updates as always! Byrdie - very interesting analysis of your scores. :) I did that too once and it was very illuminating.

I am continuing to work Bliss at least twice a week. I had hoped for more but hubby and I are finishing our upstairs renovation and that's taking time and energy. Bliss continues to progress though even with that light schedule. He gets better every time out. I have some recent pics - AND a gratuitous belly shot just for you Chisamba. lol. 7 months now! Bliss is going to my friend's for 3 months of basic training in early September. I am excited to see what she can do with him and also excited for the break from barn chores. ;)

Happy riding everyone and good luck with your goals!!
Attachments
Aug 4_2.jpg
Aug 4_2.jpg (34.99 KiB) Viewed 26450 times
Aug 4_3.jpg
Aug 4_3.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 26450 times
Aug 4_1.jpg
Aug 4_1.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 26450 times

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:28 am

a couple more (and sorry for the double post).. seems I can only put 3 pics in a post.
Attachments
Aug 4_5.jpg
Aug 4_5.jpg (38.66 KiB) Viewed 26450 times
Aug 4_4.jpg
Aug 4_4.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 26450 times

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Nice pictures Brydie and RosieB! Thanks for sharing them. Brydie, Red seems to be getting back in shape really quickly. And Rosie, even with limited amount of work, Bliss looks good and it's nice that he continues to progress. I appreciate the updates!

Both getting into shape relatively quickly and improving with limited work are encouraging to me since I've decided to quit riding Emma until probably mid September. Even tho we haven't even had our usual triple digit temps this summer, the humidity has been so high that even working early in the morning is hard. For the last few weeks I've ridden 4 days a week; Mon Tue and Thu FRi, and was hoping to do so again this week. I have been just doing 10 minutes walk, 10 minutes trot and 10 minutes trot/canter. At 6;30 I feed Emma half her grain (Purina Eq Sr, 2 scant measuring cups) and then she walks out to her pasture and grazes until 7:30 when I tack her up to ride. I ride for a total of 30 minutes and then I give her a good shower, towel dry her, do any special grooming that needs to be done, and then hand graze her up by the house (where the grass is greener) until she dries. Then, I turn her back out until 11:30ish when I bring her back into stall (with fan)/small paddock, and give her the second half of her morning grain plus 3 lbs of grass hay.

Even with such a careful routine, yesterday when I put her back in her stall, she didn't want the rest of her grain. She ate some horse cookies and nibbled at her grain and hay but then just stood by the fan. I took her temp, it was 101.4. She is pooping normally and has normal gut sounds. I watched her all day and she finally ate all her grain but only 3/4 of the hay. She took cookies, though.

This morning she didn't want her grain but did go right out and start grazing. I will check in a few minutes to see if she came back in a finished her grain and hay. At this point I don't think I need to call the vet, but I am not going to ride, of course. I really have the feeling she is just off because of a combination of heat and work. My other two horses are not getting worked but have a similar routine, pasture till 11:30 then stalls/small paddock/fans. They seem fine and have their usual voracious appetites.

I hate having to stop riding now because I am so happy with how the work is going and I seem to be on the right path...but at least I have a training log now,(thanks to UDDB and this particular thread!) so it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up again when the weather breaks.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Demi - sorry to here that Emma is not feeling well... hopefully, you are right and it is a combination of heat and work.

Thanks for sharing updates people. I don't have much to contribute as my only goal this next couple of months is to get the #bigblackfreighttrain 's face injury under control. When your horses are out on pasture and only come in to the yard every so often, you don't get to keep such a good eye on them. Well, Lucas came in with a gash on his face that should have been stitched, but it was too late, so I am treating it myself. Always keeping me on my toes those guys. He will have a scar through his little white star though.

Haven't been doing much riding with Tuddy. He has his eye appointment next week to see what the extent of his cataracts are and I think I will bring him home. I just have so much on the go, and the financial gods have decided that I need to scale back on the spending for a bit, so the board money would do better to pay off some debt more than anything. We will see.

I was supposed to ride with Dale Irwin next month, but I think I will just be an auditor, again. Man, 2016 just hasn't been my year!

Please keep sharing stories my friends!!! I find them very inspiring!

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Thank you! Flight - when the sun is out it's very warm, I don't know how I'm going to survive summer. Yay ding :D. Looking forward to seeing him back in work!

Demi - I feel as though the break did Red some good and he's come back better than before (just lacking some strength), my instructor thinks the break did him good :D. So don't get too worried about giving Emma a break, she could come back better after a but of time off :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:42 pm

Nice updates, all. Demi, please reassure us that Emma is doing better. Bliss looks wonderful, Rosie, and so do you. Brydie, great to see your photos.

As we are into August in the southern US, there are *finally* some moments where I can imagine better weather. It is still muggy but it was only 82F when I rode last night!

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:58 pm

I had a great ride last night, complete with 2 (of 2) clean flying changes. The sitting trot is a challenge but it is coming. Easier to the left than to the right.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Last week was county fair week which, as a 4H leader and mom, means I was totally involved with fair stuff for like 2wks and horses got 0 riding. Finally rode Sunday eve both Rudy and Tio. I took it easy on Rudy (2nd/3rd lvl horse) and just focused on keeping him forward and straight. Tio, the greenbean, I resolved to ride as though he was a training lvl horse. That worked pretty well for the most part, if one excludes the occasional pigroot, and I even managed to canter him a little without bucking. He has become quite responsive to lateral aids and is beginning to consistently accept the whole inside leg to outside rein thing, which means our circles are round pretty much 80% of the time in both directions even if mom's cat is darting out from under the motor home or bunnies are playing in the grapes that grow down one long side of the arena.

So having had a fun time Sunday, means of course that yesterday, Tio was foot sore. :evil: He has very flat soles that grow excessive bar in the summer and I neglected to keep them under control these last few weeks. Nonetheless, he consented to playing over cavelletti (3 raised 12" set 9' apart), because apparently, one's feet do not hurt if some form of jumping is involved. :lol: Ya gotta love a horse with such a can-do attitude. Shoer will be out to reset shoes and fix problem post haste. I rode Rudy after letting him play over the cavelletti on the lunge and used that extra forward to work on mediums. He will medium thru cav's and up hills but struggles with the concept when crossing the diagonal so that's where we worked once I got control of his and my body. Finally, I got 6 strides of full-on medium, on the diagonal, and "on the bit", with plenty more juice in the tank. He got an immediate "atta boy" and a nice jaunt down the road.

Goals Rudy
1. Medium trot short diagonal
2. Flying changes

Goals Tio
1. Canter both leads in the arena
2. Jump a little

demi

Postby demi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks for your concern and encouragement Piedmont and Brydie. Emma is better today but still not 100%. Yesterday afternoon she layed down which is unusual and when she got up, she started to paw. I called the vet and she said to give her 10cc banamine and keep an eye on her. She improved significantly with the med but still doesn't have her appetite completely back. We are probably going to hit 100 for the next few days and the heat index has been 107-109 so I am thinking she's just not used to this climate. I think she will be fine if I just don't work her this time of year and keep her out of the sun when it's over 90. Maybe this NQR isn't from the heat, and maybe I could get away with working her with caution, I just don't know for sure. I do, however, know that the kind of heat we have here in this part of TX is hard on horses and it's not worth taking the chance.

So this is all part of training,isn't it? Management is a big part of the equation. It's an interesting journey. Emma seems to know that I am especially concerned about her. I think these times can help to strengthen the relationship. She is getting to know that I really have her welfare in mind. And this is not being anthropomorphic. A mare cares about the well being of her foal somehow and she can recognize that behavior in a person.

I am looking forward to cooler weather and what it will bring in the way of training! I will continue to keep up with all on this thread with much interest.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:05 pm

"The energy is good". Said by my trainer during my lesson today. :shock: I can go back to Switzerland happy. :mrgreen:

Return to “Dressage Training”