The Double. Gulp.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
MidgetMustang
Greenie

The Double. Gulp.

Postby MidgetMustang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:18 am

So my dynamite dressage 'stang is very solid Second level and we are comfortably schooling all of Third. I'm playing with the idea of introducing the double bridle.
My reasoning is that 1. Change is challenging for my girl. In a clinic a couple years ago the instructor had me try out a drop noseband. Cara ground her teeth for a month after that. New things make her pretty tense. If I start by poking around the pasture or riding down the road with the double on, it will give her a chance to get used to it slowly. I don't plan on schooling with it for quite a while 2. I've never used two reins before so it would give me a chance to get used to the feel.

My instructor sort of implied that since I can show in a snaffle, why bother?...
And honestly-it's a big milestone for me. I've never managed to get a horse to this point. I know I CAN show in a snaffle but at some point I want to be able to ride down the centerline to the jingle of a curb chain :)

So my question is: when do YOU start introducing the double bridle?

Bats79
Novice

Re: The Double. Gulp.

Postby Bats79 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:52 am

If the double is new to you then I would start with two reins on a snaffle and learn to feel the difference between them and how to manage them. Nothing harder for a horse that is learning the double bridle than a rider who can't manage the reins.

You owe it to your horse to learn how to manage the reins first.

MidgetMustang
Greenie

Postby MidgetMustang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:55 am

What a fantastic idea! The last thing I want to do is make it a bad experience for her because of my fumbling.

Bats79
Novice

Postby Bats79 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:58 am

People forget that it is a learned skill. Unfortunately the natural progression of training seems to come to a sliding stop when you get "finger dyslexia" and two reins seem to turn into 20. :D

MidgetMustang
Greenie

Postby MidgetMustang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:09 am

Ha! I have stubby, fat fingers. This should be interesting ;)

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:41 am

I know someone who would just put both bits in her horse's mouth but only have reins attached to the snaffle to get her horse used to 2 bits. Might be worth a shot to break it down into smaller steps.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:50 pm

I just did this over the summer. 1. be prepared for sticker shock! The bits are quite pricey but I found the ones I wanted on sale, whew. 2. I was told to put them on, leave the curb loose and no curb chain, my guy hated the curb bouncing around in his mouth, so I put the chain on and lightly kept a contact with it. He was much happier. 3. I have ridden in a double before on different horses but it has been years, at first I was very awkward but within a few weeks felt much more competent. Rode with my instructor in Aug and my guy went beautifully in the double.

Good luck! I found a double bridle from Smartpak quite reasonably priced https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/kaval ... idle-12292 nice quality.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Generally speaking, introduce the full bridle one day a week initially. Ideally 3:1. If you have not held four reins, then do so with two reins onto the snaffle. When riding 3:1 keep the three hand closer to the withers, or do 2:2 (in the schultheis/fillis methods). For sure have the curb chain on, ideally work the horse in hand first then (and have a leather keeper attached as well). Why bother to learn? Because the uses of the two bits are for specific reactions/effects.

MidgetMustang
Greenie

Postby MidgetMustang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:01 pm

khall wrote:I just did this over the summer. 1. be prepared for sticker shock! The bits are quite pricey but I found the ones I wanted on sale, whew. 2. I was told to put them on, leave the curb loose and no curb chain, my guy hated the curb bouncing around in his mouth, so I put the chain on and lightly kept a contact with it. He was much happier. 3. I have ridden in a double before on different horses but it has been years, at first I was very awkward but within a few weeks felt much more competent. Rode with my instructor in Aug and my guy went beautifully in the double.

Good luck! I found a double bridle from Smartpak quite reasonably priced https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/kaval ... idle-12292 nice quality.

Luckily I have a fabulous friend that has a bucket of bits she's offered for me to try. At least initially. I browsed a bit last night and you are not wrong. Guess I know what's going on my Christmas list this year ;)
Thanks for the SmartPak tip! I've liked their strap goods in the past.

MidgetMustang
Greenie

Postby MidgetMustang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:15 pm

galopp wrote:Generally speaking, introduce the full bridle one day a week initially. Ideally 3:1. If you have not held four reins, then do so with two reins onto the snaffle. When riding 3:1 keep the three hand closer to the withers, or do 2:2 (in the schultheis/fillis methods). For sure have the curb chain on, ideally work the horse in hand first then (and have a leather keeper attached as well). Why bother to learn? Because the uses of the two bits are for specific reactions/effects.

Can you explain the reasoning for the 3:1? I've seen it used but am not familiar with the benefits.

I think my instructor was speaking to my timeline rather than the necessity of the double.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:27 pm

The curb is kept quiet, its use minimal and stable.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 am

We are solid second level schooling all of third and just started introducing the double last winter. I stopped using it during show season, because we weren't at the point of schooling many of the movements in it. We used it maybe once a week, just easy wtc stuff. This mare is really particular about bits, and has a low fleshy palate so finding the right bits was challenging. The other problem is it can be hard to fit bridles and bits for smaller, non warmblood types. Neule scheule has the best selection of smaller sizes IMO. I got a good deal on a bobby's bridle that is a lot thinner than most bridles I saw.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:31 am

I've started several horses in the double and I usually find that if you put it on like it's no big deal and get on a go for a walk the first day, then you can usually ride relatively normally the second day. I think if you make a it a "big deal," they perceive it as a big deal and then it is a big deal.

Usually, there is some fussing with the two bits when bridling for the first time, but they get over that pretty quickly, so don't let it alarm you. Also, while thinner bits are arguably more severe when riding, if you are worried about it being too much in her mouth, then thinner bits might be the ticket to start. I also think it is a good idea to ride mostly off the snaffle for the first few weeks and to try not to "surprise" them with the curb at any point in that initial period.

Good luck!

MidgetMustang
Greenie

Postby MidgetMustang » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:50 am

HafDressage wrote:I've started several horses in the double and I usually find that if you put it on like it's no big deal and get on a go for a walk the first day, then you can usually ride relatively normally the second day. I think if you make a it a "big deal," they perceive it as a big deal and then it is a big deal.

Usually, there is some fussing with the two bits when bridling for the first time, but they get over that pretty quickly, so don't let it alarm you. Also, while thinner bits are arguably more severe when riding, if you are worried about it being too much in her mouth, then thinner bits might be the ticket to start. I also think it is a good idea to ride mostly off the snaffle for the first few weeks and to try not to "surprise" them with the curb at any point in that initial period.

Good luck!

Im hoping that by preparing now, I can avoid making it a big issue. She's a sensitive soul...and very, VERY aware of new things (Darwinism at its finest ;) )

mld02004 wrote:We are solid second level schooling all of third and just started introducing the double last winter. I stopped using it during show season, because we weren't at the point of schooling many of the movements in it. We used it maybe once a week, just easy wtc stuff. This mare is really particular about bits, and has a low fleshy palate so finding the right bits was challenging. The other problem is it can be hard to fit bridles and bits for smaller, non warmblood types. Neule scheule has the best selection of smaller sizes IMO. I got a good deal on a bobby's bridle that is a lot thinner than most bridles I saw.

I'm lucky that while my mare is short, she has a horse sized head and wears a 5 1/2" snaffle. But she does have chubby lips and a good sized tongue so I may have to play around with options. I'll check into the Bobby's bridle!

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:23 pm

I learned to use four reins using a pellam snaffle.

Return to “Dressage Training”