Swiss ban

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
galopp
Herd Member

Swiss ban

Postby galopp » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:14 pm

We shall see what happens: on 1/1/16 Switzerland is to ban draw reins (this is rk influenced): http://www.pferderevue.at/?+Schweizer+e ... Q9MQ%3D%3D

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Swiss ban

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:49 pm

This is fantastic news

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Wonderful!

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Zippity Doo Da! Very good news.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:13 pm

There are countless other types of training aids that can be abused, and some of the most horrible (cruel) riding I have witnessed has been in plain snaffles or doubles. Draw reins, like anything, CAN be used tactfully.

I could not open the article you posted, but a google search led me to articles stating they were to be banned in warm rings only? I don't know about the US but it has been this way in Canada, at least at Dressage shows, for decades.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:26 pm

And the follow up: http://epona.tv/blog/2015/october/14-wa ... -the-sport (and talk about ugly warm up and riding) (In the US they can be used to lunge in)

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:01 pm

great article, galopp! full of common-sense ideas-- common sense not all that common, huh?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:23 pm

i agree with Orono, horses can be placed very deep, very round and very low and closed with plain reins in a snaffle bridle

this is a meaningless ban, in my opinion. If Rollkur has taught us one thing, it is that you can put a horse in a very deep very hyperflexed position without draw reins. The only thing that will change the training is the placing in judging. i am fairly certain i saw a split screen video made up of a swiss rider one that was riding a horse with a very round behind the vertical contact and exaggerated leg movement, and the other, ( maybe it was not swiss, maybe it was danish or scandinavian, i cannot recall the names so i have having a hard time searching or it) ridden beautifully with open long soft neck and accompanying elastic gaits, they showed the scores from the judges on the two movements and it was a sad thing to see what was rewarded.

anyway, draw reins have been banned in warm up in many countries for many years, and this increased in part the use of hyperflexion in training, in my opinion

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:33 am

Where have they been banned?

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:14 am

Who is that in the video? His hands are awful.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Chisamba wrote: If Rollkur has taught us one thing, it is that you can put a horse in a very deep very hyperflexed position without draw reins.

This^

I do not understand a lot of this 'misdirection' that goes on with the whole Rollkur furor.
Rollkur = Planting your feet in the dashboard and hauling a horses head to its chest by FORCE for an extended period .....Rollkur (by force) can be accomplished in ANY bit or rein setup.
It is NOT is a momentary defense posture to avert a naughty moment, nor is it a horse that is built with an upright swan neck (ie. Friesian, Saddlebred, some modern Warmbloods, etc.) who can voluntarily put their nose on chest in a moment of tension despite your best efforts otherwise....

Training aids, when used correctly, are just that....aids....temporary, to address a specific issue and in educated hands.
If you are using an 'aid' as a crutch, it will surely be noticeable in the show ring were you cannot use it and thus witness that your training methods stink.

I am personally much more offended by all the pics of dressage riders 'skiing' on the curb bit of a double bridle, the shanks parallel to the ground....ugly and legal and commonly seen IN the show ring.

....and the follow-up video of the ugly warm up is a jumper rider (though announcer in background appears to be announcing dressage results)....

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:03 pm

They have not been allowed at Dressage competitions in Canada for 25+ years. Have they been used in warmups in the US?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:28 pm

They have not been allowed in the US dressage warm up as long as I have been here, nor the UK when I showed there.

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:32 am

Same in Australia orono. Only thing allowed to be used in warmup is running martingale that has to be taken off for comp and only thing on lunge is side reins.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Return to “Dressage Training”