Does my butt look funny? (a training question)

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Does my butt look funny? (a training question)

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:24 pm

So, a favorite activity of visiting horse care professionals, students, etc. to my barn is to comment on Emi's conformation. :D :roll: Her build is actually not that unusual for an Iberian type, but she certainly has a different hind and neck than the typical warmblood, thoroughbred or Arabian.

The last time this happened, the discussion focused on her hind muscle development. Now, I don't think she looks quite typical for the kind of work she does (not as round on top of the hind). I don't know if this is PSSM-related, conformation, or her bad trainer (me). Do you think her hind muscling is funny? If so, what does it mean?

hind-reduced.jpg
hind-reduced.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 9814 times

left.JPG
left.JPG (98.67 KiB) Viewed 9814 times

We will not be offended if you tell us her butt looks funny (and you won't be the first to do so! :lol: )

Of course I have to include a photo of Emi looking like an annoyed Iberian donkey in this discussion:
donkey.JPG
donkey.JPG (110.91 KiB) Viewed 9814 times

khall

Re: Does my butt look funny? (a training question)

Postby khall » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:41 pm

Top pic makes it look like she has a prominent SI joint, but that may just be the view. Yes, some Iberians can have triangular shaped hind ends with some funky hind leg conformation. After breeding and raising WBs and TB Xs, was a bit of a jolt to see some of the Iberians! I am used to seeing strong loins and big long hips (though some old style WBs can be shorter in the hip, none of mine are). So not necessarily the muscling that looks odd, but the SI from top pic.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:57 pm

I went back to your "medium trot" thread and looked at her pictures again and the action is really very nice. You've been able to train her to a nice level and it sure looks like she will continue to develop to higher levels. So I'd say she has a good butt, not funny at all.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Yes, khall, I would say that Emi does have a prominent SI. If I were the breeding type (I'm not and she's not), I would want to improve her hind end connection.

I was really just curious if her muscling looked weird or indicative of any issues to anyone. We are trying to build strength in the hind with hills, transitions + increasing expectations for engagement.

This is an older photo at lower weight/less muscle (and filthy), but you can see the conformation type. Of course Boomer the pony is photo-bombing us!
heading_out_march_2016-small.jpg
heading_out_march_2016-small.jpg (170.34 KiB) Viewed 9784 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:22 am

I think the muscling of her thighs and upper legs looks good, developing well, she does have a bit of a rafter shaped croup though. I have had a saddlebred and an arabian like that and they never really developed an apple but. :)

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:45 am

Chisamba wrote:I think the muscling of her thighs and upper legs looks good, developing well, she does have a bit of a rafter shaped croup though. I have had a saddlebred and an arabian like that and they never really developed an apple but. :)

Let me add, that, in my opinion, the "apple butt" is a conformational thing and has realativly little to do with training. Plus, in horses that aren't born with it, it tends to be a sign of obesity or worse, metabolic issues like cushings and others...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:03 pm

AmityBee wrote:
Chisamba wrote:I think the muscling of her thighs and upper legs looks good, developing well, she does have a bit of a rafter shaped croup though. I have had a saddlebred and an arabian like that and they never really developed an apple but. :)

Let me add, that, in my opinion, the "apple butt" is a conformational thing and has realativly little to do with training. Plus, in horses that aren't born with it, it tends to be a sign of obesity or worse, metabolic issues like cushings and others...

Agreed

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Makes sense. Thanks for your input!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:27 am

I think it's just her shape too, she's got some muscly thigh and bum muscles though :)
Yes, I've had a mare that gets very apple bummy in spring, and that's definitely not due to work!

Bats79
Novice

Postby Bats79 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:37 pm

Her right hamstring looks way different to her left and her right hip looks dropped - a lot more than I would expect from her stance .

She also seems to have more of her body to the left of centre than to the right.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Bats I think her hip looks dropped because she is not square behind in the picture. Ditto to body left of center.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:35 am

It's true that she is not squared up in this photo ( i was more fixated on her upper butt muscling); in fact, I'm not even sure she has weight in her right hind.

That said, she is not a perfectly symmetrical horse in body or feel. Of course, that is a process, too (although if I get on a green or less trained horse and find them much more crooked than she is). I do find it interesting that at each chiropractor visit, a different hip is high (it is not always the right or the left). I don't know if that means I ride poorly all the way around :oops:

Return to “Dressage Training”