Half Steps ++

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Half Steps ++

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:04 pm

May I ask the board for input on half step approaches, process and progress?

Emi clearly knew piaffe before I bought her (she would give it when I hit the wrong button). However, we have not done much with half steps much less piaffe, since we had straightness/strength issues to deal with. Now I'm playing more with half steps and they are feeling okay---more even, more easy, mostly off seat and a little leg.

But I'll be frank and say I don't know much about using half steps in training (yes, I've watched a lot of clinics, but I haven't ridden a lot of horses in half steps).

Any tips, journey stories or advice? I have the sense that in a horse with her conformation, half steps and piaffe are another way to the strength needed for extensions!

Flight

Re: Half Steps ++

Postby Flight » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:22 am

So from what I know (not a lot!!) , my instructor teaches half steps/piaffe quite early and teaches it to all the horses he has for re-training because it develops mobility of the hind leg joints and strength in the back/loins etc. All in hand at first and eventually under saddle.
I like using half steps on my friesian cross to help collect him and when he's starting to get too heavy on my hands, he has to step under with his hinds and carry himself more. Ours are not perfect and only a few steps but that's how they help us.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:45 pm

I start in hand as soon as the horse is confirmed in wtc. First, in hand. Walk from whip raised, halt from it dropped. Then halt, back up (which is diagonalizing), and then forward (with hh upward on the caveson)...never holding backward. Then rider put on and handler doing the 'enflaming', and gradually transfer the hh to the rider. It allows the horse to learn to fold the hind leg joints/stay up and open long before it is being asked for in a test. Always forward from walk or reinback (rarely, if ever, from trot backwards to piaffe). Imho if a horse is leaning against the hands it is important to first make sure the horse is up/open before ever asking for piaffe.

It is not stepping under further (because that can cause the horse to lean over the forelegs, be goat on a mountain top); it is folding all the hind leg joints/lifting the chest/carrying the neck more up/open. Only tapping on the top of the croup if the horse is too lowered and too far under (which makes them go more up rather than advancing the hind legs). For sure, a handler (on the ground) who knows the effects of various touch points. The touches must have a reaction. If the horse kicks after a whip, then clear message not to do so. And ALWAYS a reward for correct work.

Ask only a few steps, and walk out (if the horse is emotional), or trot to refresh the stride (using the collection given. Always reward the offers early on. Better a few strides well, then many which lessens the energy.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Thank you for the very helpful description!

Bats79
Novice

Postby Bats79 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:19 am

galopp wrote:I start in hand as soon as the horse is confirmed in wtc. First, in hand. Walk from whip raised, halt from it dropped. Then halt, back up (which is diagonalizing), and then forward (with hh upward on the caveson)...never holding backward. Then rider put on and handler doing the 'enflaming', and gradually transfer the hh to the rider. It allows the horse to learn to fold the hind leg joints/stay up and open long before it is being asked for in a test. Always forward from walk or reinback (rarely, if ever, from trot backwards to piaffe). Imho if a horse is leaning against the hands it is important to first make sure the horse is up/open before ever asking for piaffe.

It is not stepping under further (because that can cause the horse to lean over the forelegs, be goat on a mountain top); it is folding all the hind leg joints/lifting the chest/carrying the neck more up/open. Only tapping on the top of the croup if the horse is too lowered and too far under (which makes them go more up rather than advancing the hind legs). For sure, a handler (on the ground) who knows the effects of various touch points. The touches must have a reaction. If the horse kicks after a whip, then clear message not to do so. And ALWAYS a reward for correct work.

Ask only a few steps, and walk out (if the horse is emotional), or trot to refresh the stride (using the collection given. Always reward the offers early on. Better a few strides well, then many which lessens the energy.

Very helpful yes. Too bad we never see this in practice with others but rather a consistency in holding the neck down and the head back while bouncing the hindquarters in the air and straightening the hindleg. I now dread to hear that the horse has been trained "half steps" because it is just another problem that has to be overshadowed. :(

Return to “Dressage Training”