My training is staring to show progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: My training is staring to show progress

Postby kande50 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:59 am

Ryeissa wrote:
This isn't your thread, so please just be done and let's get this back to the positive place we have established over the last year, ok?

So now you want to be the moderator, too? So many moderator wannabes. You do get that the best way to shut someone up is to ignore them, don't you, and that passive-aggressive is not positive, and that misusing horses is not positive, and that every time someone jumps back in to try to moderate that only recharges the conversation?

Sorry Shrrine. you didn't deserve that

And no, Shirrine didn't deserve that, and I'm sorry if she took it as an attack on her instead of concern for her pony. Not that we don't all bear at least some responsibility for failing to protect our horses, but that failure is understandable if someone doesn't think they need to protect their horse because they believe those who tell them what they want to hear.

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:04 am

So now you think my pony needs protection? Maybe you should just leave it because the more you are saying the more ignorance you are showing.
Oh and no-one tells me what to do, my instructor advises me and I take on board what he says. I have worked on my own for a long time, I am my own person whether with horses OR life.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 am

Shirrine wrote:So now you think my pony needs protection?

Yes, I think he could use a little. Not nearly as much as many horses could use, but some.

Maybe you should just leave it because the more you are saying the more ignorance you are showing.

You do understand that people resort to personal attacks (which could easily apply to anyone, including themselves) when they're running out of defenses for their beliefs?

Oh and no-one tells me what to do, my instructor advises me and I take on board what he says. I have worked on my own for a long time, I am my own person whether with horses OR life.

And that's the way it should be: your horse, your decisions. He'll probably be fine because you care about him enough to consider whether you're making the right decisions for him, or not. Some are so wrapped up in what they need that they won't even think about what their horse might need if his needs might in any way interfere with theirs.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Kande, it isn't appropriate (or nice), to chime in with your unsolicited critique. If someone requests a critique, feel free to speak your mind. Regardless, I didn't see any animal abuse that requires us to speak up for the animal in the video of Shirrine riding.

And, be careful of the "glass houses" rule...

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:25 pm

I doubt The Brooke would swoop in to save him. Seriously.

It's possible to express an opinion without being a b*tch about it.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:47 pm

this is the TRAINING FORUM, ffs-- of course people will disagree as to training methods.
calling another poster 'not nice' or a bitch is uncalled for. :roll:

i think this thread has gotten way away from discussion of training-- too bad;
a missed opportunity for a RESPECTFUL exchange of ideas

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:07 pm

The opportunity to have a respectful conversation about training was a boat that sailed with the very first reply on this thread.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:16 pm

Rosie B wrote:The opportunity to have a respectful conversation about training was a boat that sailed with the very first reply on this thread.

Very true. And very sad. I'm sorry, Shirrine. Your boy is lovely and it's great to see you riding again. (((hugs)))

As for the rude comments that continued and doubled down even after being told no critique had been requested, what a pall that put on what could have been a lovely thread.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:25 pm

You're right. I'm completely out of line.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:43 pm

amygdala wrote:this is the TRAINING FORUM, ffs-- of course people will disagree as to training methods.
Why when someone posts a negative opinon of something, especially when it is a poster that isn't one of your favorites, so many feel a need to post only scold that person??? Why not just read it and move on with your own comments.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Rosie B wrote:The opportunity to have a respectful conversation about training was a boat that sailed with the very first reply on this thread.

I respectfully disagree. I've read that post at a few times I really don't think it's that bad.

And I agree with amygdala, this is the training forum. People had to read much worst things (and handled them much better), without other posters making such a fuss about it, including Kande, i'd like to add, who seems to be fair game when it comes to disrespectful bashing on this board.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:16 pm

i disagree, rosie b. i read that as a training disagreement.
it was, however, responded to as a personal attack.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:17 pm

I respectfully disagree. I've read that post at a few times I really don't think it's that bad.

And I agree with amygdala, this is the training forum. People had to read much worst things, without other posters making such a fuss about it, including Kande, i'd like to add, who seems to be fair game when it comes to disrespectful and personal bashing on this board.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:21 pm

kande50 wrote:
So now you want to be the moderator, too? So many moderator wannabes. You do get that the best way to shut someone up is to ignore them, don't you, and that passive-aggressive is not positive, and that misusing horses is not positive, and that every time someone jumps back in to try to moderate that only recharges the conversation?

please, just be done here. I consider many here my friend so I will speak up when they get treated poorly.

this is not ok esp since you don't seem to have mastered any of these things yourself, actually are at a lower point in your riding than Sherrine. Not that this is a completion but your posts don't need to get so high and mightly when you can't see things in yourself.

kande50 wrote:First off, I want to say that he's a beautiful pony. Second, I couldn't watch either video past the first few seconds because they weren't pleasant for me to watch. Maybe they got better later on, but if you don't think that your pony has any issues with the way he's being ridden then you need to get more opinions, because IMO, your instructor is leading you down the wrong path.

And yes, that's just my opinion, but your pony was clearly indicating with his tail, which was the only body part that wasn't clamped down, that he does have issues with the way he's ridden.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:29 pm

I think anyone that has been told that their riding is so unpleasant that someone can't watch would be hard pressed to NOT take it personally.

If someone said that about YOUR riding that you had posted because you were feeling good about it and wanted to share, would you consider it a "training disagreement"?

I think the elephant in the room here (and the reason I am actually arguing) is that Shirrine has undergone extreme personal challenges and multiple health issues over the past while, and the fact that video she posted to share her progress and recovery was met with such negativity was in my mind in poor taste. And my objection has nothing to do with training.
Last edited by Rosie B on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Rosie B wrote:I think anyone that has been told that their riding is so unpleasant that someone can't watch would be hard pressed to NOT take it personally.

If someone said that about YOUR riding that you had posted because you were feeling good about it and wanted to share, would you consider it a "training disagreement"?

I had that happen, it hurts so that is why I HAD to say something here. But consider the source, too.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:10 pm

Rosie B wrote:I think anyone that has been told that their riding is so unpleasant that someone can't watch would be hard pressed to NOT take it personally.

Maybe, but this is the internet. I do not care. I know what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

And Ryeissa is right,why be offended by someone who has a completely different philosophy than the one your following yourself? If you don't care for the way kande rides, why give a *beep* about what she thinks?!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:35 pm

rosie b, i think everyone who posted said shirrine's riding was better than her trainer's.
that's hardly a personal attack.

and i repeat, this is the training forum. if you post videos here, people are gonna criticize them.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:43 pm

AmityBee wrote:

Maybe what I should have said instead of stressing that it was just my opinion, is that I don't watch a lot of video footage of people riding horses anymore, unless the work seems to be easy for the horse? I watch the first few seconds and if it makes me uncomfortable then I don't watch any more. So maybe the problem is that some think that everyone just needs to conform to their own mainstream standards when it comes to how horses should be treated, and if they don't then they must be firing off bazookas at those who do?

And I agree with amygdala, this is the training forum. People had to read much worst things (and handled them much better), without other posters making such a fuss about it, including Kande, i'd like to add, who seems to be fair game when it comes to disrespectful bashing on this board.

I don't play it safe when I post, so have no problem with others who don't play it safe, either. But I do find it odd that the same ones who are calling for more civility can't wait to be uncivil themselves whenever they feel they're justified.

But kudos to those who are able to actually do what they'd like everyone else to be able to do!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:48 pm

And Ryeissa is right,why be offended by someone who has a completely different philosophy than the one your following yourself? If you don't care for the way kande rides, why give a *beep* about what she thinks?!

Really! It must be obvious by now that some (a lot) of my ideas don't conform, so why would anyone care what I think of their riding?

I fully expected, when I posted that, that it would be ignored. I thought someone might consider what I said privately given the video footage, but I didn't expect anyone to actually react to it given the culture here, although I was pleasantly surprised that they did.
Last edited by kande50 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:50 pm

musical comedy wrote:
amygdala wrote:this is the TRAINING FORUM, ffs-- of course people will disagree as to training methods.
Why when someone posts a negative opinon of something, especially when it is a poster that isn't one of your favorites, so many feel a need to post only scold that person??? Why not just read it and move on with your own comments.

good point
Perhaps, in my case, because I thought the tone was nasty and uncalled for, and the person it was aimed at vulnerable after a very difficult health year.
Realizing, in hindsight that you are right. I should have let my first post stand and ignored the rest. I was caught by surprise because there has been a much more respectful exchange of ideas and amicable disagreement leading to helpful and improved riding goals in a mutually symbiotic manner til now.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:57 pm

AmityBee wrote:

Maybe, but this is the internet. I do not care. I know what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

So why are you commenting ? If you ignore the philosophy you do not like and move on? ( not an attack on you, but a defense of everyone who commented) is not the idea of belonging to a forum being about commentary.

I freely admit that I am guilty of exacerbating the commentary.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Perhaps, in my case, because I thought the tone was nasty and uncalled for, and the person it was aimed at vulnerable after a very difficult health year.

So you assumed that I too, knew who the poster was and what was going on in her personal life?

Problem is, I make an effort to read posts without checking to see who posted them, both because I'm interested in discussing ideas rather than people, and because I don't want to reply based upon who the poster is rather than what's in the post. I often check after I've written a reply or posted one because I'm curious, but I try to keep ideas separate from how I might feel about particular individuals' internet personas.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:04 pm

well, there goes any thoughts of sharing any more of my videos around here! ha! never mind...I hope this gets back to normal, I was starting to really get a lot out of this forum.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:24 pm

I think this thread is done.

Return to “Dressage Training”