New USEF proposed rule changes

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
lorilu
Herd Member

New USEF proposed rule changes

Postby lorilu » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:01 am

https://www.usdf.org/competitions/usefrulechanges.asp

Note: Taking double out of third level DR 121.2, .3 & .8 , and vaccination rule GR 845.1

These will be discussed at the USDF convention. Any attendee may speak at the meetings; I encourage you to contact your GMO delegate or the PM delegates for your region. You can find them here: http://www.usdf.org/about/about-usdf/go ... sp?Type=PM

Code3
Herd Member

Re: New USEF proposed rule changes

Postby Code3 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:05 pm

I like the first, taking the double out of third.

The vaccination rule not so much. There are already barns where I can't take my horse due to requirements for vaccinations that I don't give. Luckily the group I hang out with are all on the same page as far as vaccinations. We travel to each others' barns without illness and our horses are healthy. I am not anti vaccine and I do give some, but I don't give these particular vaccines. I'm going to a clinic today and AFAIK none of us give the two vaccines listed.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:16 pm

Code3 wrote:I like the first, taking the double out of third.

The vaccination rule not so much. There are already barns where I can't take my horse due to requirements for vaccinations that I don't give. Luckily the group I hang out with are all on the same page as far as vaccinations. We travel to each others' barns without illness and our horses are healthy. I am not anti vaccine and I do give some, but I don't give these particular vaccines. I'm going to a clinic today and AFAIK none of us give the two vaccines listed.

I'm with you Code3, my last horse that I competed on would have terrible, life threatening reactions to any vaccine but encevac-t. This rule would have excluded us from many shows. I don't get why this is such a big deal that their horse get these vaccs, they're not proven to be terribly effective, and they don't prevent fatal illness.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:49 am

Note there is an exemption for horses that get reactions.

I believe this rule is a result of the EHV outbreak here in OCala at HITS a few years ago. They allowed horses to leave the grounds after it was diagnosed.... and other barns were then infected.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:55 pm

lorilu wrote:Note there is an exemption for horses that get reactions.

I believe this rule is a result of the EHV outbreak here in OCala at HITS a few years ago. They allowed horses to leave the grounds after it was diagnosed.... and other barns were then infected.

Then it might be appropriate to make rules regarding that. But to require vaccinations, especially those with limited efficacy, is not the route to go IMHO. Just because a horse (or human) is vaccinated does not mean they won't get the illness.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:28 pm

the rule is easily circumvented via section 3

By allowing the owner ( or whomever) to self vaccinate, you allow them to circumvent. Buy the vaccine, peel off the sticker and put it on the receipt. there is no way to prove the vaccine was given or not. It covers the USEF / show management ass if your horse gets sick post showing

the only way to make this enforceable it to institute the passport and vaccine log seen in the FEI ( CDI) events. There the passport must contain the vaccine sticker and the signature of the vet giving the shot. Every passport is inspected as are the horses.

vaccines, particularly these two are not 100% as Code 3 points out. Personally the unrelenting big business of east coast showing is more responsible for these outbreaks than a lack of vaccinations.

I know what kind of aches and side effects my horse got from routine vaccines ( I am a minimalist) I am loath to think how much more an issue it would be if I had to comply with this showing rules ( frequency) with vaccines that are minimally effective

I pointed this out on COTH and am not being pointed at as being the next bringer of the Plague of Egypt to Region 6

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby musical comedy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:42 pm

hoopoe wrote:vaccines, particularly these two are not 100% as Code 3 points out. Personally the unrelenting big business of east coast showing is more responsible for these outbreaks than a lack of vaccinations.

I know what kind of aches and side effects my horse got from routine vaccines ( I am a minimalist) I am loath to think how much more an issue it would be if I had to comply with this showing rules ( frequency) with vaccines that are minimally effective

I pointed this out on COTH and am not being pointed at as being the next bringer of the Plague of Egypt to Region 6
Agree with you Hoopoe and Code3. And yeah, I read the Region 6 comment.... :roll: Just ignore it. My goodness, it would be different if these vaccines were such that they prevented the neurological virus, but they don't. It's been over a year since I gave my old guy vaccines because he became really out of sorts with them.

Tsuy
Greenie

Postby Tsuy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:44 pm

Interesting - we have a big stoush on here atm over mandatory vaccinations for Hendra

I am not anti vax and my horses are vaccinated BUT I do not agree with some of the current regimes (repeatedly boosting every 6 months)
-Especially as this regime is NOT sanctioned by the science that developed the vaccine but rather from a need to cover a Pharmaceutical companies need for a bottom line profit and the titer tests are showing this vaccine has a very long lasting effect and the risk of the disease is minute in most areas of Australia (but devastatingly fatal if contracted) and easily prevented with good animal husbandry

Can someone advise me of what and how often horses in other countries are vaccinated with?

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:19 am

Tsuy, here in Florida most vets recommend: Rhino EHV, flu, Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), West Nile, tetanus, rabies (yearly). Some do strangles (not me).
Most except rabies and tetanus are recommended every 6 mos.

Tsuy
Greenie

Postby Tsuy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:53 am

lorilu wrote:Tsuy, here in Florida most vets recommend: Rhino EHV, flu, Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), West Nile, tetanus, rabies (yearly). Some do strangles (not me).

Thank you
Do they give them all at once or space them out?

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:10 am

Tsuy wrote:
lorilu wrote:Tsuy, here in Florida most vets recommend: Rhino EHV, flu, Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), West Nile, tetanus, rabies (yearly). Some do strangles (not me).

Thank you
Do they give them all at once or space them out?

It depends. Many horses get a 5-way, then separate Rabies and tetanus when they need it. Some horses have a reaction to that, so they get a 3 way then the next week get the rest, or get a shot of banamine with the vaccination. SOme older horses get fewer vaccinations -

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:26 pm

We space them out, for weeks apart, no more than three at a time, when we were in the breeding garb we did rhino every three months for the pregnant mares, as it is most effective for only 90 days and causes abortions.

I also do botulism, annually. I do PHF, especially if there is a current outbreak.

People used to do all of these inoculations until it became unpopular, now we are seeing outbreaks of previously almost eradicated diseases. There have been increased outbreaks of EEE and PHF up the east coast recently. And that is just reported cases.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Ok, I am confused by this conversation. According to the US eventing website, the new vaccination rule was to keep competitons from requiring extra vaccinations - not make people vaccinate more?

http://useventing.com/news/new-usef-vaccination-rule

"Due to several high profile Equine Herpes (EHV) outbreaks in recent years that have involved the neuropathic strain of the virus (equine herpesvirus myeloencephalopathy-EHM), some competitions have placed vaccination requirements on their competitors that go beyond most accepted medical opinions and raise concern that unnecessary requirements can potentially put a horse at risk. The intent of this rule is to ensure that all licensed competitions comply with the vaccination guidelines for Equine Influenza and Equine Herpes (Rhinopneumonitis) published by the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP). These guidelines are reviewed by infectious disease experts regularly, and recommend vaccinating competition horses at six-month intervals for both equine influenza (flu) and rhinopneumonitis (EHV-1 and EHV-4). There is not a vaccine that protects against EHM."

If you only want to do flu/rhino once a year, it would be fairly easy (at least, for those of us who don't show very often) to time the vaccine so that you are within the 6 month window.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:35 pm

Yes... that is true and is the reason for the rule.

Is it the flu shot that requires a 2 shot starter if the horse hasn't had it in the past couple of years or am I thinking of something completely different? Which if true, then kills off that idea.

Return to “Dressage Training”