Simon doing dressage

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
jeniferkey
Greenie

Simon doing dressage

Postby jeniferkey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Since I retired Miaren and Topper is slated for driving, I'm borrowing a friend's horse for fox hunting. He's an 11 yr old Morgan/Welsh pony cross who's lived much of his life on pasture. He's been trained to drive and ride, but he's not been in a consistent program in a while and rides like a rather green, but willing guy. I had asked about borrowing her Haflinger, but she thought Simon would be more suited and he has been a lot of fun so far.
I've been taking dressage lessons on him, to get him listening to my leg and bending, since I really want that when riding through the woods. Someone suggested a schooling dressage show, and I thought it would be good exposure for him, if nothing else.
He was interested in everything, but sensible and nicely responsive in the ring for his level of understanding. We haven't had bend both directions for that long, and he was great off my leg. What I hadn't thought much about yet was halting and stretching down at the walk. Out hunting we all stop when the horse in front stops. Being mostly a driving horse he doesn't know half halts and responds much better to voice. For our second test I kept smiling, but whispered whoa, which helped so much. Still, now I know some more things to work on and teach him, which is always good for our communication.
I think I've lucked out in finding a lovely horse to play with.

(edited to add he did rather well). 64 and 61 for a 1st and 3rd in classes of 8 riders.

Here's Intro Test A and B videos.
https://youtu.be/MH4vPnCPRVk Test A
https://youtu.be/K5ycmeQJqy8 Test B

Last edited by jeniferkey on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Simon doing dressage

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Cute! You look like you are having a blast, and so does he.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:13 am

What a cute guy!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:34 pm

He looks like you will have lots of fun with him. Enjoy!

PS - do you mind if I ask where about in TX you are riding? Your field hunting photos look like super fun with the beautiful open spaces. These show pics are lovely too.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Too cute for words..............looks like a total blast.

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:01 pm

We're in Fort Worth and we fox hunt North of Decatur in the area of the grasslands. We have a variety of properties. I've grown to like the wide open ones, where we can watch the hounds from quite a distance. Still, the ones with woods and creeks and ravines can be fun for the twisty-turny runs through the woods. Of course Simon is at the watching from a distance stage, so everything in the open makes that easier right now.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:06 pm

Cute!!! And working really nicely, well done!

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:11 am

Nice pony!

Return to “Dressage Training”