Introducing changes... Any advice appreciated :)

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
klark_kent07
Novice

Introducing changes... Any advice appreciated :)

Postby klark_kent07 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:26 am

I'm about to introduce the changes to my horse, my coach will help in the beginning but she is has just received some very upsetting and life changing news and it may be a few weeks before she is ready to take my horse for training.
So I have been playing around and seeing what happens when I ask for a change... I've got a couple of very expressive changes in front but nothing happening behind.

I won't continue to ask for any changes until my coach can be my eyes on the ground again or take Kent for a week or 2 to start them herself.
In the meantime what are some exercises to school to get that hind end engaged and ready for changes?
We have shoulder fore in canter, canter half pass, walk canter/ canter walk and travers in canter all confirmed. Our counter canter is very balanced and he has a good connection/contact. We did our first show jumping rounds last weekend and watching the video he did 1 clean change and also 2 changes that were late behind by a stride. In the paddock he does clean changes so I know they are in there!
Any help would be appreciated, I may be brave enough to get some video if someone can suggest some things to try 8-)

HafDressage
Herd Member

Re: Introducing changes... Any advice appreciated :)

Postby HafDressage » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:22 pm

So, I have helped to put changes on a few of overly-counter canter confirmed horses, who would rather counter canter all day than change and I've found one exercise that has worked really well for all of them.

Go down the quarter line in walk, pick up the outside lead (counter canter), jump a stride or two and then bring them back to the walk or and ask for the new inside lead. The next time, push the walk portion to be faster, so not even half a stride of walk, they touch down and go on new lead. Do this a couple of times so they get the idea. Next time, push it even faster so they may take just a foot of trot and go to the new lead. At this point, your horse should be getting the idea and hopefully getting a little revved and even too strong in the bridle. They need that excitement.

Next time around,walk, counter canter 1-2 strides, ask for the change, TAP hind end with the whip as you ask. Even if they pop the hind end up a little in response, better to get a response than just to have the hind end do nothing. Rinse and repeat if he doesn't get it the first time. The reason this works and the reason you need to ask within the first few strides of canter is because those are usually the most uphill strides of canter you will get, so the horse typically has the jump necessary to bring the hind legs through. Also, it makes them excited and helps them get the idea that they are about to do something. Also by not doing it across the diagonal, you are avoiding the running canter and wild after effects that often occur.

If you get any change (front, back, together, late), reward like hell. If he doesn't quite get one leg, front or back, as quickly as you can pick up the new lead so he understands what you really wanted. He will get the idea pretty quickly that way.

Good luck!

klark_kent07
Novice

Re: Introducing changes... Any advice appreciated :)

Postby klark_kent07 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks so much HafDressage, that's exactly what I'm after :)
I'll try this exercise this afternoon and see how he goes. He can be a bit lazy so something that gets him a bit anticipating is perfect!

Return to “Dressage Training”