Goals and progress January Febuary 2017

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
greenholmeshandy
Novice

Re: Goals and progress January Febuary 2017

Postby greenholmeshandy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 pm

we had another little dabble at dressage on Sunday, intro c which is a UK walk, trot test and quite twiddly and preliminary 13 which involves canter work which I didn't really click with as canters started after A and C on 20 meter circle before X. I stupidly let my self get flustered by this so Shandy's nice canter home work was spoiled by over riding by me.

I would welcome constructive comments on the intro test especially my seat and hands (I can see I must be gripping up with one leg,as id not one is naturally longer than the other but if that was the case I would walk round in circles!) . Apologies that the first ten seconds of the clip are wibbly wobbly as husband was filming whilst my son was trying to swing from his arm.

I think we are kind of progressing and certainly are compared to clip of test in an outdoor arena last year, she was less scared lamb and more pony as second time in this arena, she is still convinced the test reader is there to kill her though!

https://youtu.be/H08q8NGUe28
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Sue B » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:44 pm

My gosh GHS, every video is better and better. You should be quite pleased with yourself and lovely pony.

Constructive critique: 1) Remember to breathe during the test. :D Try taking a nice deep breath as soon as you come down to walk, and then "fluff" your legs by lifting your thighs away from the saddle to release any death-grip you may have. 2) Try having a big smile every time you head down the long side or across a diagonal. You'd be amazed how relaxing that can be. 3) Every time you enter the short side or a 20m circle, consciously soften your elbows and THINK forward with your hands (as though you were going to do a release.) This will help you soften any death grip you may have on the reins and help your horse to relax as well. 4) remember to keep your chest up and hands forward during every downward transition.

I have to say too, that I love how you have changed from "puppy paws" hands to "thumbs up" hands and how well you are now sitting upright, instead of canting forward. Your trainer must be so proud of you.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:50 pm

I think you both look much more confident greenholmeshandy. Definitely progressing! The more competitions you do, the more that you can relax and just ride and that looks like its starting to happen.

I've got a little working equitation competition this weekend which will be interesting! My horse is a bit spooky and it's in an indoor, I don't think he's been in an indoor before, so I"m not sure how it will go.
Next weekend I have a horse trial comp with my big horse. I'm pretty nervous but excited for that one!
I've also injured my knee a couple of months ago. Finally had an MRI done and there's something about incomplete tears and fractures so to me that means more couch time :) I'll keep riding, because riding's not weight bearing, right!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 pm

I had some really good news Monday from Rip's scope. The vet said his upper airway is just about normal! He was shocked and amazed at the positive changes we saw with the scope. This syndrome is not usually reversible. The scaring from the issue (called cicatrix) is usually progressive, sometimes it will remain stable, but often requires a trach or even euthanasia. Dr. Dan was so thrilled and so was I at such a difference from January. We will continue to monitor Rip, in fact will take him back in a couple of weeks to see one month post treatment how he looks. Dan was going to contact the company whose stem cells we used to see what further treatment might be needed and will get in touch with A&M about our positive outcome. This syndrome is a real problem in TX, OK and is also starting to impact the TB industry there. You have no idea what kind of a funk I have been in since having this diagnosis and to now have this reprieve and hopefully our success will help others is just incredible.

Rip and I head to Rincon Ga to ride with Jillian Kreinbring again for 3 days. So looking forward to it and am happy I am taking a horse who is feeling so much better.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Good news!!! Hoping the good news continues for you!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:26 pm

I had given up on the idea of getting multiple changes on a line during these past two months. I swore that I'd take it easy and do light rides. Well, yesterday I could just feel the changes in the canter. The single changes were great. And guess what? We did 4 changes on a long side (no counting strides).

Never mind that, after that success, I momentarily lost the ability to hold a lead or counter canter because flying changes were happening everywhere. It's still progress.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:42 pm

That's really great, Khall! This is a new disease to me so I have been following along with interest and fingers crossed!

Flight, ouch on the knee. Take care and don't overdo it!

GHS, I love that pony. It's nice to see you making such progress.

Ponichiwa, opposite problem here. Lovely counter canter, lost the changes. It'll come together eventually.

A couple of days off riding here. The boy is ouchie after a trim yesterday, work has been nuts, and the weather has been utterly appalling, to the point that I am totally exhausted and sick of it, and I would just like to go to bed and read a book for a couple of days...

Spring is on it's way, slowly but surely, though!!!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Ponichiwa, opposite problem here. Lovely counter canter, lost the changes. It'll come together eventually.

Eventually the changes stop being an all-or-nothing binary solution, but we're not there just yet.

Return to “Dressage Training”