Goals Thread...

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Goals Thread...

Postby Flight » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:02 am

Did some flying changes today. Ding was good, did them on my aids and not going too crazy about them. Except, our L to R ones, I'm beginning to wonder if it's something not quite right with his stifle or hock or something? Today he had 3 moments that felt like a catchy stifle on his R side, you know when they feel like they collapse a bit behind? And I don't understand how he can be so easy on one side and wild on the other?
Thoughts before I go spend $$ on vets/radiographs??

https://youtu.be/9GDGvPGBXJk

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Well, our ring disappeared under 17" of snow yesterday... May be a while before we get back to regular work!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:02 am

That's a good load, Mountaineer! We just got about 2 inches so I am still planning to ride tomorrow morning.

Flight, I can't offer you any advice about the changes but it looks like they're coming!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:25 am

It's amazing, Rosie B. It's like Mother Nature specifically targeted the barn area to dump on. We only had about 9" at home, in the mountains, where it's supposed to be...

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:36 am

Some nice changes there Flight - see what you mean about the difference each way though. My first though would be to see if anyone else could ride and try..coach maybe?? That could hopefully rule out something your doing and/or try a course of bute and see if there is any difference - that might help with the pain indicator.

Been a extremely busy month for us. We have finally moved to our new place :) Yay. Still not unpacked though. Had long work days and then moving in the evenings/cleaning the rental/putting up sheds etc. I'm on xmas holidays from friday so will be able to get into unpacking the house next week.

Given all that Bess has had very light work the last few weeks...once or twice a week only. Since we've moved i've managed a bareback tonk around and one "proper" ride where i'm thinking to put the arena. She was looky but no tension and was naturally forward. The canter work in-particular was great with the extra natural impulsion. The last lesson/ride i had before we moved we tried changes again with a few success's so hopefully in the coming weeks i can play with it and see what develops.

Ponies first day - cows in the paddock behind were no problem bu the little dexter heifer next door was fascinating.

First ride :) couldn't help myself and found a log to help me up. Old man Bobby (the brown) is the boss and wasn't amused.

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:25 am

Trainer is really happy with Kent and said he is definitely understanding the change aid better.
She rode him mon, tues, wed this week and is away today (Thursday) so I'll ride him this afternoon. Then she will ride him again Friday and I'll get some video hopefully to share! :D
Hopefully next week I'll get to have a play with the changes in my lesson so will try to get some video of that too!

Flight, can you take your stirrups away when you work on the changes? Just to eliminate any crookedness from you before you go any further? Otherwise, I agree with getting your trainer to hop on and have a feel :) He's so cute though, I love his attitude towards work!

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Flight - thank you for suggesting 'think posh'! It seems to help a lot more than just thinking 'look up'. Love your videos of Ding!

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:47 pm

Watched trainer ride Kent on Friday, he's such a clever pony! Really awesome to see some glimpses of what the future holds for us. Trainer is playing with the working canter pirouette and Kent has a few strides of really collected canter that has so much sit and jump. He can't sustain it for any longer than that at the moment but it's lovely!
The changes are much more on the aid now, in only a few short rides, so that is very cool as well. I have some video to share but of course I didn't go and get the Ipad out of the car until the last few changes and I only videoed a late one! But you can see that it is when the trainer asked, just a stride late behind. She is more than happy with this at this stage, he isn't late all of the time and has only been doing the changes for a few rides now. She is keeping the canter very forward in this as the previous ride he was anticipating the change and sucking back (his default move!).

(This is my very good friend and trainer riding Kent, we ride together regularly and this is her arena and home so she isn't dressed for video!)

https://youtu.be/al3hZ-IOzOw

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:24 am

They both look lovely to me, congrats!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Kent is looking super! Wow, what a canter he has!

I had a lesson today with my friend. We worked on developing power through the very basic exercises. It was a great lesson. :) I got a couple pics:
Attachments
Dec 19_6.jpg
Dec 19_6.jpg (106.68 KiB) Viewed 11657 times
Dec 19_3.jpg
Dec 19_3.jpg (90.81 KiB) Viewed 11657 times
Dec 19.jpg
Dec 19.jpg (96.17 KiB) Viewed 11657 times

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:43 am

Thanks Rosie and Bailey, he does have a big canter and it has taken a while for him to get strong in the pace. He is always very balanced just needs to get stronger!
Bliss is looking awesome, he has really matured and looks like a grown up horse now :)
I'm really looking forward to riding again, I know it was only a week and half that my trainer was riding Kent for but it feels like forever when you are used to riding 6 days a week!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Klark_kent, he is so nice!! Even if that was a late one in your vid, it doesn't look like they are hard for him to do.

Rosie you two always look good. Lovely pics :)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Oh my gosh you guys! Y'all are doing so great with your horse, it is so much fun to be able to share the journey.

(I haven't ridden in like 10 days or something--gotta get out there and just DO IT!)

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Well. Kiwi has had the last 2 weeks off. I returned from vacation just in time to see the first real cold snap (thanks for that, weather), so I imagine things will be fun when we go out to ride this evening.

This month, I'll be getting her (and myself) back in shape. And that means ton of canter/trot/canter transitions.

How is everyone feeling after the holidays? My work pants suggest maybe I should have exercised a bit more moderation.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:16 pm

LOL Ponichiwa! My work pants aren't complaining, but that's only because I wore my 'roomier' pants today. ;)

Return to “Dressage Training”