Goals Thread...

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Goals Thread...

Postby kande50 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:29 am

Kelo wrote:Then today Cowpony and I went to an local open stock show....so, reining, ranch trail, ranch riding, ranch pleasure classes. Just to have some fun. Incidentally, these patterns are easier than FEI tests to remember :lol: I had fun, though! And the Cowpony won the high point in our division, so I even won a really snazzy halter :mrgreen:

We really do need a like button.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:49 pm

Congrats demi!

My goal is trying to keep up some level of dressage while being without a saddle. A state that will most likely last a while longer. So far I've ridden a few lessons bareback, which worked better than expected. Only our canter work is seriously suffering, though.

We are doing more ground work, especially in hand work, some long lining, and since The New Welsh decided to throw a shoe, we finally started to get serious about long reining in todays lesson.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:33 pm

demi wrote:Ok. I think I've got it.
Nice cow pony, by the way. Is he your FEI horse?

You got it!

Yep, one and the same. 8-)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:03 am

Today's lesson focused on straightness, and adjustability at the canter. Putting together the pieces to make the second level work come together and build a foundation for changes.

Physically and mentally quite stretching, working on that school canter to medium canter and back transition, on a circle, holding the canter with my seat, maintaining the flexion, all while maintaining control of the outside shoulder and the haunches...so, after spending yesterday spreading 16 tons of gravel, I'm pooped!

In a wild hair yesterday morning I signed up for a clinic with an FEI trainer From CA the weekend before Thanksgiving. I've never heard of her but the woman who is bringing her in is someone who I respect, and it is at a fabulous private facility with a heated indoor, that I can actually see from my house, so if nothing else it will make a fun and different weekend!

Now I just need to ride a lot and lose 5lbs in the next month. Shouldn't be too hard, eh?

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:31 am

Moutaineer wrote:Today's lesson focused on straightness, and adjustability at the canter. Putting together the pieces to make the second level work come together and build a foundation for changes.

Physically and mentally quite stretching, working on that school canter to medium canter and back transition, on a circle, holding the canter with my seat, maintaining the flexion, all while maintaining control of the outside shoulder and the haunches...

Thanks for that description of your canter work today. I am interested because canter with my horse has been complicated in that she has so much natural forward energy. I finally am getting some pieces to put together and it's nice to hear how other's puzzles are coming together.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:45 am

I'm back in too - I love these threads :)

My October goals are pretty simple as we are just about finally getting ready to move to our new place at the end of the month. Poor Bess has had very limited work the last few weeks - once or twice a week if lucky. Not that she minds lol. I just feel bad as when i do get out its yet another schooling session in the hopes of keeping on track as when we move its back to no arena, just 13 acres of flat land and about 100 acres plus of trail riding :)

Anywho my instructor had a ride in our long overdue lesson last friday. Think it had been a 6wks since he last rode her and that was the ride that made me get the dentist out and the poor girl had a large ulcer on her tongue. Anyway the limited work and a few light-bulbs in my head of late oh and a change back to her old egg butt bit seems to be working as he commented shes leaped forward in her softness and roundness strength again :) hopefully i can keep it going once we've moved. I did jokingly say the other day too not sure which i'll miss more at his place ...him or his ancient arena mirrors. I love mirrors and honestly think my riding has improved so much due to me being able to see regularly what i'm doing which helps me remember what he says in lessons.

PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Postby PaulaEdwina » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:46 pm

How's this for a goal. It was 30 degrees this morning and it's so far warmed up to a balmy 39 degrees. My goal is to man up and ride today.

Paula

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:02 pm

It snowed on me during my ride yesterday. Stop it, PA. Stop it now.

This past week I've finally gotten the canter back under my seatbones. For the longest time, Kiwi didn't let me in to adjust the canter much if at all. The contact felt brittle, as if any change I made in position or path of travel could shatter it in a million pieces. Not anymore! I was playing around with canter halfpass to the centerline, straight for 15 m, and then a 10-m gigantissimo working pirouette, and it was easy. In both directions, no less.

And, as maybe you'd expect, now that the canter is better the changes are better too. Hurray!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:37 pm

PaulaEdwina wrote:How's this for a goal. It was 30 degrees this morning and it's so far warmed up to a balmy 39 degrees. My goal is to man up and ride today.

We were somewhere in the 20's last night, and I don't think it was the high 20's, either. The sun's out now and the frost is off the grass, even though the thermometer says it's only 30 at 10:30AM. Supposed to get up in the 40's again, although it was supposed to get up to 45 yesterday too, and if it did it was only briefly in between the snow showers. But, the ground is thawed and I'm dressed to ride, so I'm going to do it!

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:This past week I've finally gotten the canter back under my seatbones. For the longest time, Kiwi didn't let me in to adjust the canter much if at all. The contact felt brittle, as if any change I made in position or path of travel could shatter it in a million pieces. Not anymore! I was playing around with canter halfpass to the centerline, straight for 15 m, and then a 10-m gigantissimo working pirouette, and it was easy. In both directions, no less.

And, as maybe you'd expect, now that the canter is better the changes are better too. Hurray!

Thanks for this description of your canter work with Kiwi. My horse and I aren't as advance as you and Kiwi, but I am working on canter and can relate to not being able to adjust the canter and having the feeling that if I change position or path (as in shallow loops) she'll fall apart. Canter work with Rocky(my 14.2 hh mare) has been slow from the beginning and is just now starting to get workable. It is very encouraging to hear how Kiwi has advanced in her canter work and I look forward to more reports on her/your progress!

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Must be a canter week :) i've found new adjustability while cantering this week too. Friend happened to pass by the other day so i was able to wrangle her to take some pics for me on my little work camera. Given the slow response it has i was happy she managed to get several nice photos.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:54 am

Well, Kiwi and I are back from our clinic. We got some good things out of it, but for the most part I think there was a style clash. Kiwi was NOT amused with the "you're doing it, and you're doing it now" style. Granted, I may give her too much leeway because of our history (and my disconnected collar bone).

I also accidentally took her on a trip through Downtown when I took a wrong turn on the way home. I think she enjoyed the tour.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Well khall, LOL, I've downsized significantly and am downsizing further so hopefully I will no longer make anyone else exhausted with my escapades. The weather here has been beautiful and the stinker and I have been able to get more work in which I think is paying off. I hope to go to a schooling show on Halloween and see if we can improve our scores for PSG. I was going to show at a recognized show next month but instead am training for the week of the show to get re-certified for the animal abuse investigation training I do; so, I've set my goals on showing recognized early next year. My 18 month old colt is wearing a saddle nicely without caring a wit about it. He's still such a juvenile but seems to take everything in stride so we're just focusing on exposure to as much as possible. I plan to breed my mare to the stallion in the spring for a repeat performance. As for the downsizing part, my daughter has offered to buy out my half of the stallion which I've accepted. I will be retaining breeding rights; however, I don't see myself ever owning more than 3 or 4 horses again, just too much to do work-wise. I do, though, hope I can get the stinker eventually to GP. Now that is a dream most feel I shouldn't dare but I shall anyways ;)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:52 pm

I love all the stories and updates!

Update from me - well, Yonka came home yesterday, he has been at the trainer's/my coach's place since March and it was time for him to come home. He needs the winter off to eat like a piggy and grow like a weed. We never did get on him, but we put a lot of time and work into him. He went from, "please don't brush me" to "oh you missed a spot!". He will go back in the spring to pick up where we left off.

Since I didn't want to lose my boarding spot at my coach's place, I took over the #bigblackfreighttrain. My very overweight Canadien, Lucas, is now over there for a weight management program and for me to ride one of my own horses. I am very excited for this, and if all goes well, we will be representing the Canadien horse at Battle of the Breeds at the Equine Expo here in Saskatchewan in February. It is a big goal to reach, but not unattainable. That journey may need it's own thread, lol, stay tuned.

As for personal goals, back on track with the healthy eating and hitting the gym. I have been over indulging, and been treating myself to foods that I know I am intolerant to. Now, I am feeling the effects. Brain fog, migraines, low energy, exhausted. So, enough of that. Back to eating what my body needs to fuel itself, and back to the gym for my mental sanity. Lift all the heavy things! Rawr!

Hope everyone is enjoying the fall weather! The muskrats are building very tall houses out on the sloughs, and you know what that means, lots of snow!!!! NOOOOO!!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 am

klark_kent07 - How did you go in the 3.3?

I made a dog's breakfast out of it, with 2 EOC's and probably a 3rd one that the judges may have overlooked! Time to start practising these tests in a full sized arena now I think! I only have a small one at home so I'm guessing where the markers are and then forgetting which one I'm supposed to be doing what at in the actual test!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Flight wrote:I made a dog's breakfast out of it,

*laugh* I spent so long looking at this, trying to figure out what exactly you fed your dog and how it tied into the 3-3 test. :oops: :lol: I'd never heard that expression before.

So, I have been really trying to concentrate on foundational stuff. Serpentines, circles, spirals, lateral work with more thoroughness. And also trying to retrain my legs to be less naggy. I looove to have them on and nag (and my horse is used to it). But it's time to clean that up.

Also I read this amazingly awesome post by Tamarack Hill Farm on Facebook. Here is a link (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... nref=story), but below is excerpted text. This is a wonderful discussion on what I've been thinking so much about and really working on, and just a great piece.

The author starts by discussing how a correctly ridden horse being asked for collection, even correctly asked, requires true athleticism -- which creates "athletically-induced discomfort". Which, of course, causes the horse to look for ways to avoid said discomfort -- leaning on the bit, throwing his head, etc.

ALL these front end/head evasions are---listen here---to get rid of the "correct" connection between the driving aids and the receiving aids, because that connection makes him weight lift, and he'd far rather not.

In other words, we FEEL the resistance up FRONT, in the bit, reins, hands, but the resistance we feel up front is because he doesn't like the pressure of engagement BEHIND. (It took me about 212 years to figure this out, by the way.)

So now we MAY think, as many of us do---"My horse is "resisting" in his mouth/jaw. I need to use stronger rein aids. I need a sharper bit. I need draw reins. I need one of those leverage rigs."

NO---What we need is to think very long term about strength training. We ask him to step under (engage), negotiate for some moments of semi-lift, back off, let him recover, ask for a little more, back off, repeat, repeat for months, tiny increments, little by little, "building the horse like an onion", one tiny layer at a time.

WEIGHT LIFTING IS SLOW. WEIGHT LIFTING DOESN'T FEEL GOOD. Yes, it will eventually turn your horse into a better athlete, but your horse doesn't know that. He isn't "being bad" when he resists, he's trying to get away from athletically induced discomfort. So----GO SLOW, HAVE COMPASSION for what he is undergoing.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Good article, Kelo. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and it was a theme of the clinic I just came back from. In fact, the wording (weight lifting) was also identical. How timely!

Had a really low-key ride with Kiwi yesterday. I think that's probably not such a bad thing for both of us right now.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Kelo wrote:*laugh* I spent so long looking at this, trying to figure out what exactly you fed your dog and how it tied into the 3-3 test. :oops: :lol: I'd never heard that expression before.

:lol: sorry! Yes, just a big general mess!

Good article! It's exactly what is happening with us now. I had a lesson yesterday, and my instructor basically said you go through these patches when asking something new and harder. For us it's more collection in canter, more sideways in half pass. She said keep asking for it, but don't worry too much, it will all come together as he get's stronger :)

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:49 am

Flight wrote:klark_kent07 - How did you go in the 3.3?

I made a dog's breakfast out of it, with 2 EOC's and probably a 3rd one that the judges may have overlooked! Time to start practising these tests in a full sized arena now I think! I only have a small one at home so I'm guessing where the markers are and then forgetting which one I'm supposed to be doing what at in the actual test!

Not too bad Flight, 62% again and second place so fairly happy with that, considering it was the hardest test and only our second test at that level. We would have scored a bit higher but I didn't set him up correctly for the second walk to counter canter and picked up the wrong lead and didn't realise! :lol: I did figure it out half way through the movement and bought him back to walk and picked up the correct lead but of course it cost us dearly in marks!
We actually stayed on and did our very first jump rounds the next day (nothing like being prepared :mrgreen: ) and placed 5th and 3rd. Heres a few pics from the weekend...

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:22 am

Looking good!!! You would have beaten me I only got 61% :) My horse tried to throw in a change in the CC so it turned a bit ugly, but that (along with the EOCs) was the only major drama. I might try again at a comp in November, if I can get the shift off work.
Nice jumping effort too, you are both making that look easy.

Silverpoet
Greenie

Postby Silverpoet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:00 pm

I am quite please with how the last month has gone. Maddie's transitions are really improving and she's getting sharper off my leg. We've also been working on connection and the last couple of rides have been great. We are having more moments where she lifts her back, relaxes her under neck, and stays softly out to the bit instead of hollowing, pretending she's a giraffe, and wanting to lean on my hands. I think as she gets stronger it will get easier for her. I love these moments because they show me what type of potential she has and it encourages me to keep going with her.

Gracie is building up fitness nicely and my goal for Nov/ Dec is to start riding her now that she has some fitness again. I think she enjoys having a job again because I've seen a new spark in her lately. She's eager to met me at the gate and go work plus she just seems all around happier. I think some of these older horses ( she will be 20 in a few months) really do prefer work to retirement.

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:21 am

Today we competed in our first "Official Competitive" show. We started with the 1.2. Started off well, then as soon as we turned right at C, he started shaking his head due to the flies (never shown in Australia during fly season so lesson learnt. Use a LOT of fly spray cause the little amount I had used wasn't enough). This threw me off completely so thought we had done horribly (with some nice moments though). We ended up scoring a 62.885%. We scored our first two 8's! For both centrelines, I had tears when I saw them! A lot of 6's, a couple of 7's for both canter to trot transitions (plus one change of rein across the diagonal) and a couple of 5's (needs more activity... a common theme for us).

Second test, my trainer was there for to help us warm up, and got us going really forward. Gave me the best tip (it's only 5 minutes, you need to work HARD...you can rest after and also ride for 8's... you're not going to get them if you're not riding for them!) I thought our centreline's were just as good in this test (if not better than the 1:2) but this judge wasn't appreciative of them and gave us a 6.5/7 for them. We ended up with a 64.348%. My trainer thought the judge was harsh as she thought my centrelines deserved 8's, and didn't think our left canter depart and 20m circle deserved the 5.5 we were given (need to work on more energy in the depart + canter). We also got a 7.5 for our stretchy trot circle and omg 7's in paces and impulsion (this also brought tears to me eyes!) We haven't scored 7's in the collectives before, and we got over both tests 3 :D (also a 7 in rider in the 1:2 with the comment of well done, lovely centrelines).

We came away with more 7+'s in each test than we ever have before so I'm SO happy with him... now just need to make me a better rider so we can score higher!

After our second test.

Will have to come up with some new goals hmmm...

demi

Postby demi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:19 am

Brydie wrote:...Will have to come up with some new goals hmmm...

Congratulations Brydie! and thanks for sharing the details. I am impressed by all the 7's ! Looking forward to reading about your new goals.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:45 am

I am still thinking about counter canter, with the test of our work at this point being the shallow canter loop. Today I didn't even attempt the loop because the other main thing I am working on is shorter reins. I am happy that she accepts the shorter rein consistently but am looking for it to be more fluid.Today I spent most of the time on that "Ridden Mandala" exercise from another thread. Just walk and then trot, and then adding in a lot of walk-trot transitions. It wasn't wonderfully fluid, but we were both working hard and it felt like a strength training workout. The fluidity will come after the strength (I keep repeating this to myself).
At the end of the ride I did three loop serpentines (small arena) at the canter, with transition to walk at crossing the centerline. The canter-walk-canter transitions certainly weren't "showable" but I was very happy with them because I could tell by her breathing that she was really putting forth some effort. She was grunting each time she went down to walk, and taking deeper, audible breaths with each walk to canter transition.

I am keeping close in mind how I feel when my personal trainers tells me "two more". I am trying to take Rocky to the point where she is looking for me to say "two more". Today we both felt good after the work. I can only get a couple of these "work-out rides" a week with her. If I do it too often she gets too resistant.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:15 pm

demi wrote:It wasn't wonderfully fluid, but we were both working hard and it felt like a strength training workout. The fluidity will come after the strength (I keep repeating this to myself).

That's what I kept telling myself when I was taking lessons, but I think the problem there was that all I ever heard my instructor say about contact was "shorten the reins", and never "give with your hands" or "lighten the contact". So what I ended up doing was riding my horse so against the bit that she became very braced, which made her move as if she was wearing a cement suit. So no matter how hard we worked at it there was never ease, nor lightness, nor fluidity, because she was always struggling against my heavy, restrictive hands.

And then when I finally realized the error of my ways I went to the other extreme, and started riding with almost no contact.

She was grunting each time she went down to walk, and taking deeper, audible breaths with each walk to canter transition.

Interesting, as the way you describe your workouts sounds so different from the way I would describe mine, which may simply be a difference in our choice of words--or maybe a difference in riding with the goal of getting to the upper levels vs riding for fun?

I too, went out with the idea of working on the ridden mandela and then forgot all about it, which may be a big part of the reason I don't ride with the goal of getting into the upper levels. :-)

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:04 pm

kande50 wrote:That's what I kept telling myself when I was taking lessons, but I think the problem there was that all I ever heard my instructor say about contact was "shorten the reins", and never "give with your hands" or "lighten the contact". So what I ended up doing was riding my horse so against the bit that she became very braced, which made her move as if she was wearing a cement suit. So no matter how hard we worked at it there was never ease, nor lightness, nor fluidity, because she was always struggling against my heavy, restrictive hands.

I think that is sometimes a problem when we work with instructors who are not the perfect fit for us or our horses or who do not know how to help us fix a specific problem at the time. The reason I decided to switch instructors was when all I heard was "foreward, foreward, foreward and more forward". That was most certainly not the only thing my instructor was saying to me, but we both were stuck at that moment and it was all I could hear. Very different thing.

kande50 wrote:I too, went out with the idea of working on the ridden mandela and then forgot all about it, which may be a big part of the reason I don't ride with the goal of getting into the upper levels. :-)

Interestingly, that specific exercise comes from someone who teaches an holistic approach to riding. The author "wants to bring more optimism and feeling, relaxation and motivation into everyday riding". Whatever that may mean, she certainly isn't about upper level riding and showing. ;)

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:21 pm

Well I have decided my long term goal for next year is to qualify for the State Championships held in September in Preliminary and/or Novice. As they introduced Amateur Owner Rider classes this year, this means to qualify as an AOR I need one score of 65% or higher by about July next year.

Goals for Nov/Dec
- improve our trot to canter transitions. To do this I need to ride a lot more forward into the transition (also stronger outside rein, softer inside rein)
- improve our canter (more energy). I did the ridden mandala exercise once in walk/trot last week, and would like to begin it in canter (but 15m circles) with changes of lead through trot (not doing simple changes yet).
- to do the two above, I need to improve rider fitness! The show yesterday showed me that I need to work on it a LOT! (I was extremely puffed when I left the arena!)
- and lastly, go to another show!

demi

Postby demi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:35 pm

kande50 wrote:
demi wrote:It wasn't wonderfully fluid, but we were both working hard and it felt like a strength training workout. The fluidity will come after the strength (I keep repeating this to myself).

That's what I kept telling myself when I was taking lessons, but I think the problem there was that all I ever heard my instructor say about contact was "shorten the reins", and never "give with your hands" or "lighten the contact". So what I ended up doing was riding my horse so against the bit that she became very braced, which made her move as if she was wearing a cement suit. So no matter how hard we worked at it there was never ease, nor lightness, nor fluidity, because she was always struggling against my heavy, restrictive hands.

I can relate. It took me a long time to figure out how to shorten the reins and I am still working on it. I always had in mind that my elbows should be bent and that my forearms should make a direct line with the reins to the bit, but I couldn't do that and shorten the reins at the same time without making my horse very unhappy.

And then when I finally realized the error of my ways I went to the other extreme, and started riding with almost no contact.

That's how I learn. By going to the extremes to find the balance in the middle somewhere. I just try not to stay at the extremes very long.

She was grunting each time she went down to walk, and taking deeper, audible breaths with each walk to canter transition.

Interesting, as the way you describe your workouts sounds so different from the way I would describe mine, which may simply be a difference in our choice of words--or maybe a difference in riding with the goal of getting to the upper levels vs riding for fun?

I don't think riding to get to the upper levels vs riding for fun are mutually exclusive. I've had the privilege of riding a few upper level horses and some of them were SO MUCH FUN! on the other hand a couple of them I couldn't even get w,t, and c from!

demi

Postby demi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:43 pm

AmityBee wrote:...
Interestingly, that specific exercise comes from someone who teaches an holistic approach to riding. The author "wants to bring more optimism and feeling, relaxation and motivation into everyday riding". Whatever that may mean, she certainly isn't about upper level riding and showing. ;)

I really liked the exercise and then after reading your description about the author wanting to bring more optimism and feeling, etc, etc. into everyday riding, I decided I would probably really enjoy and benefit from reading the book. So I went right on over to Amazon and found the book was in German :| , which I can't read.

I am still thinking I might get the book and just look at the pictures :lol:

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:06 am

It's taken me years to accept that you need shorter reins, but can still have a forward soft hand, it doesn't have to be restrictive. I was always a bit worried about it and would keep having a longer rein and my instructor was forever "shorten your reins'. I was thinking OMG that's all I'm hearing!! It felt braced. But, when I went away and really tried it and worked out how to have that shorter rein but with a following hand it's been a lot easier.
Demi, my guy grunts with the collected canter. I know he's really trying and he has to keep going there. But I don't flog him with it. Lots of breaks. Kande, it is riding for fun!

Brydie, I did my first official competitive classes this year too! State champs at SIEC?? That would be heaps of fun!

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:29 am

Flight wrote:Brydie, I did my first official competitive classes this year too! State champs at SIEC?? That would be heaps of fun!

Yes! It was so scary for me to make the leap to OC classes. I was scared just to even enter them! I am so glad I did though :) I have just joined Dressage NSW and planning on starting competing at the Clarendon events as Red is kept about 15 minutes from the grounds :) It's a scary thought for me to compete there as well! I think it's because they have classes to GP and I'm there on my little NZ TB who scores low-mid 60's so far at prelim... and not to mention there'll be more than 1 judge! I'm scaring myself even more now ha.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:35 am

I haven't made the trip up to Clarendon yet to compete in any of their dressage comps (I live south) but it's a nice venue and yep some big names and beautiful horses! But I'm sure once you've done a few you'll feel ok :)

PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Postby PaulaEdwina » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:23 am

I discovered that Fella has all kinds of Western buttons; he can move off leg and seat! I have been wearing my motivator spurs because we've been working on some lateral work and needed him to pick up and move his ribs more than he was with my regular boot heels. Motivator spurs are mild -essentially bumps along the inside of the heel. I have been able to ride him one handed with my split reins at Western contact so things have been moving along nicely.

We've been working the hills and the corn field for fitting up, helping him find his behind, and balance. Also so that I know where I'm going to ride when there's snow on the ground. I'll say it now; I plan to ride outside this Winter for the most part. Not in ice of course.

My canter transitions are getting much better. Still a bit of tension in the ask, but then I'm able to relax and ride it without holding on with my body as I've been. I am going to incorporate some canter exercises in the ring (canter the long side, trot the short side). I may also add some poles to improve trot energy and ultimately that canter transition. Who knows; it may also be time to add some small jumps (I would like to try some Working Equitation in the future).

We pushed cows a couple of weeks ago and it was AWESOME!

These are motivator spurs. They are legal in Western Dressage. http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0507/6 ... 1417448654

Paula

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:01 am

Flight wrote:It's taken me years to accept that you need shorter reins, but can still have a forward soft hand, it doesn't have to be restrictive.

That is actually one of the top items on my list of goals: shorter reins!

I'm about halfway there. Much better than a year ago, not quite as short as I'd like them to be. I'm in no danger of riding my horse front to back, that is almost impossible, he's too naturally crocked and too much of an "energy efficient" horse. One ounce too much pressure on the bit and he will be all over the place with his haunches and stop moving foreward. But with us, a too long rein is a hard rein. It is soft enough when I don't need it, but the moment my horse needs the support of the outside rein (on a circle or doing shoulder-in) it's just not there, and once I shortened the reins enough to be there for him the moment is gone and the damage done.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:09 am

AmityBee wrote:but the moment my horse needs the support of the outside rein (on a circle or doing shoulder-in) it's just not there, and once I shortened the reins enough to be there for him the moment is gone and the damage done.

Shouldn't the horse fill out the outside rein by bending into it from the inside leg, rather than because the rider made it shorter?

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:28 am

If the connection is true and the rein length ideal, sure. My reins are way too long, the connection on and off, which, in my book is a hard hand. A soft and steady connection on a shorter rein is what we need. The long rein with its unsteady contact is just undermining the trust my horse still has toward connection, therefore I need to work on fixing me.

I'm not willing to turn this into a debate on principles. Everyone should stick to what they think is best for them, their horse, situation and goals.

And now I'm going to be brave, just to give you an idea of what I have been working on for the last year or so. These are two little videos. One is about a year old the other a month or so. I'm not up for any kind of critique. I know we have tons of things to work on. *I* have tons of things to work on. That is why I'm working with two lovely instructors who put me and my horse on the right path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7uclQ3fv2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLgTP4YTj3M

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:53 pm

demi wrote: It took me a long time to figure out how to shorten the reins and I am still working on it. I always had in mind that my elbows should be bent and that my forearms should make a direct line with the reins to the bit, but I couldn't do that and shorten the reins at the same time without making my horse very unhappy.
This is likely to occur; i.e. the horse being unhappy with the shorter contact. This I believe is a stumbling block for a lot of riders. You have to work through it. The problem is that you have to know how to work through it and the feeling you are looking for. If you've never felt it, then you have problems. Eventually if you stick with it under trainer supervision, you will eventually get a few moments where the horse connects and then you know what it feels like and you keeping working to duplicate that feeling more often.

I can sympathize with the trainers on this aspect. I see riders (my friend for one) that need to shorten up the reins and connect their horse, but I can't tell them in words what to do. Just saying "shorten up the reins" won't work. The horse has to be supple in the neck, poll, jaw, over the back, foward, etc. etc. in order to go on the shorter reins and connect.

demin wrote: don't think riding to get to the upper levels vs riding for fun are mutually exclusive. I've had the privilege of riding a few upper level horses and some of them were SO MUCH FUN! on the other hand a couple of them I couldn't even get w,t, and c from!
I do think that riding to get to the upper levels is NOT fun. Dressage has taken the fun out of riding for me. The more I learn, the more problems I see that need fixing both in me and the horse. Some people love that challenge; I don't. Ignorance is bliss.

AmityBee, this is not a critique, but a question. Why are you riding bareback? What benefit to training to you feel this gives?

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:09 pm

musical comedy wrote:
AmityBee, this is not a critique, but a question. Why are you riding bareback? What benefit to training to you feel this gives?

Simple: I do not own a saddle that fits my horse right now. He outgrew his old one and is difficult to fit. It's a process...

But, even though I don't really have a choice right now, and it certainly is not a long term solution, I really enjoy riding bareback. Everything feels so much more immediate, my flaws are being magnified but at the same time it's easier to fix them.
Last edited by AmityBee on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:14 pm

AmityBee wrote:

And now I'm going to be brave, just to give you an idea of what I have been working on for the last year or so.

Ah yes, now I see what you mean. Video makes all the difference to being able to put the words with the reality. Thanks for posting it.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:22 pm

musical comedy wrote:Eventually if you stick with it under trainer supervision, you will eventually get a few moments where the horse connects and then you know what it feels like and you keeping working to duplicate that feeling more often.

The problem is that I think there are too many trainers out there who think that a shorter rein is the solution (pull or hold the horse into longitudinal flexion), when in reality developing flexibility on a contact that doesn't get the horse braced against it is the solution.

The horse has to be supple in the neck, poll, jaw, over the back, foward, etc. etc. in order to go on the shorter reins and connect.
[/quote]

Exactly, and that doesn't happen overnight, or even at the same rate that a more skilled rider can develop it, which means that for most it's a never ending quest to learn how to do it. I also don't think it can happen if the reins are too short, because then the horse can't be flexible enough (becomes too braced) to be able to move freely enough.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Well our test stunk yesterday but there were a few victories...............for those who have followed my equestrienne challenges.........and thanks to the wonders of dressage helping the gait-challenged pony............"Houston" we now have a medium trot...............

We still need more lift up through the chest/shoulder sling and raising of the front end but......at least we have loosened up that front end a wee tad :D

Oh and we do have a bit more jump in the canter, consistently 8-)

Now to work on the pony not putting in flying changes EVERY WHERE.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 pm

musical comedy wrote: I do think that riding to get to the upper levels is NOT fun. Dressage has taken the fun out of riding for me. The more I learn, the more problems I see that need fixing both in me and the horse. Some people love that challenge; I don't. Ignorance is bliss.

I struggle with this at times, and right now is one of them. I've spent a long time getting to where I am now, and I expected it to be more...fun. And it's not. It's quite boring. Such slow incremental progress, whittling those problems down everyday, when whittled down a new problem emerges, no huge lightbulb moments anymore, no huge problems. I'm beginning to question my motivation- maybe I really am all about a certain type of challenge rather than the goal itself. I've always said that I don't enjoy riding projects and that a horse has to be around second level for me to feel in my zone, but now that I'm not riding a project type I find myself not nearly as motivated to ride.

If I had the cash I'd put on a blindfold, point my finger at something on CL and spend the winter playing with it.

I'm also too "ruined" to ever go back to just trail riding, lol.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Well, i am inclined to be accused of taking the journey up the levels too slowly, i have , on most of my horses, spent quite a lot of time developing collection, ie, training to second level, but once i get there, then from second to fourth has always been more consistent and quicker for me, although, of course, i had to start over at zero with all new horses three and a half years ago, which puts me in the developing collection phase with all of them. since all my current horses were in the rescue to < a thousand dollar price range, there were other significant challenges to over come.

anyway i am losing sight of my point. For ME, if i cannot keep it fun for both me and for the horse, then i have turned my favorite thing into a chore. They do say, if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life, and that is only true if you continue to love what you do. otherwise if you do what you love you turn it into a job.

So, I hack in the rain, I clinic with people i admire, i work on things with an air of exploration and accomplishment, rather than micromanagement and perfectionism. you know what is funny about that, my long held goal of only perfect practice makes perfect is thrown away, its all a journey to correctness, and the correctness should be the ultimate goal, not the exercise, the exercise is a test of if your aids are working.

for example a shoulder in should develop suppleness, balance collection and ambidexterity, if you make that your priority, suddenly the shoulder in becomes adjustable to fulfil those goals, rather than an exercise that has to look exactly like a certain perfect thing, which is a failure if you do not meet that ideal.

when my horse is able to achieve the goals, and fulfill the correctness required for showing, then I try to make sure i can do all the tests required in that test strung together as required, and we go and get another persons opinion ( ie go show).

so, i highly recommend that you keep training fun for you and your horse.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Chisamba,
Whether the rider thinks of it as "fun" or not, I think the most important aspect is having a mentality towards training that results in a horse that WANTS to do the work rather than does the work because it feels it has no other choice. And also to know that even when it's boring, to remember it is a choice for the rider as well- not an obligation.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Chisamba wrote:...
So, I hack in the rain, I clinic with people i admire, i work on things with an air of exploration and accomplishment, rather than micromanagement and perfectionism...
so, i highly recommend that you keep training fun for you and your horse.

I understand this. It's an attitude adjustment sometimes, but I always come back to why I got involved with horses in the first place. I love them and I love riding. Just to pet them and smell them is good...the rest is just icing on the cake. The icing by itself, however, is overwhelming, and even the cake has to be eaten in a balanced way, or it can make you sick of cake.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:39 pm

exvet wrote:... there were a few victories...............for those who have followed my equestrienne challenges.........and thanks to the wonders of dressage helping the gait-challenged pony............"Houston" we now have a medium trot...............

Lovely, just lovely. I know you're working your butt off but it just looks like you're on the launching pad ready for liftoff. I can see the concentration in your face...but man, you HAVE a medium trot!

Thanks for the pictures. I am one who is so encouraged to see success against the odds. Your hard work is evident in the stinker pony, and in your fit and polished position.

Who would believe that a little pony could look so beautiful. He does. And you do, too.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:48 pm

demi wrote:The icing by itself, however, is overwhelming, and even the cake has to be eaten in a balanced way, or it can make you sick of cake.

I think that getting sick of cake is pretty much the same as making what started out as fun into work?

But then, if one is driven to progress, failing to progress can be frustrating, and there goes the fun.

When I was driven to progress I made riding into a job, because that was what I found most rewarding. But now that I'm no longer driven to progress I find going off on tangents more rewarding than staying focused on goals, so that's what I do. Course that's easy for me because I don't have a trainer to direct me, so can just go out and get on my horse and do whatever I feel like doing. And I very much doubt that my horse cares what we do as long as I make the work easy enough for him so that he can earn lots of rewards.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 pm

kande50 wrote:
demi wrote:The icing by itself, however, is overwhelming, and even the cake has to be eaten in a balanced way, or it can make you sick of cake.

I think that getting sick of cake is pretty much the same as making what started out as fun into work?

Yes,I agree

I very much doubt that my horse cares what we do as long as I make the work easy enough for him so that he can earn lots of rewards.

And again, I agree.

I commented (with Pics) on the "SHORTEN YOUR REINS!" thing, over in the old folks forum ;) so i wouldn't derail the goals thread anymore...

khall

Postby khall » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:42 pm

Goals: be able to ride consistently and get back into the double. My big guy is dealing with an upper respirator issue for over a month now, scoped and antibiotic change and adding in steroid spray. I am still riding him lightly (have to for weight control!) but not hard by any means. I like "working" out in the fields. I have two big 10 acres pastures, one flat as a pancake and one with rolling "hills" (it is actually terraced many years ago for erosion control) so it is very interesting to ride in the hilly pasture. I stay out of the arena as much as I can. For me and for my gelding.

My mare needs more consistent work, seems like we get going and then something comes up to keep me off of her, first it was pulled shoe, then farrier quicked her, now rain.

I do a good bit of in hand work with all of my riding horses, teaches them all the lateral work on the ground first before US. My gelding is also working on higher collection, half steps in hand. He has all of the lateral work down, would love to get collected canter in hand.

I also work with a boarder's horse, big young green mare that is a lovely mover but no idea about balance. Trying to get her to understand straightening, getting good lateral work in hand, US can be like riding drunk camel sometimes. Did not help she out grew her saddle.

Exvet, wow!! Good job with stinker pony and mediums.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:09 pm

Nice difference!! And your horse is lovely :)

Exvet, I always love your pics and stories!

I got a bit bored with schooling dressage, so I went off eventing. Now that is a LOT of fun, but throws up it's own issues to sort out :D
I only do the tiny stuff but they are great weekends away.

Back to Goals - my instructor said my next lesson will be doing changes!! Very excited, but now i just have to find a day where I can fit a lesson in and make sure I'm practising my homework so when I get there, she doesn't tell my my prep is still crap! Hopefully my soloshot is behaving and i'll video it.

Return to “Dressage Training”