The club foot argument.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The club foot argument.

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 11:07 am

I am addressing your statement that " I did say a club footed horse or one with Hi/LO will ALWAYS have mismatched shoulders because of their grazing stance."

These are pictures of an aged horse working at about medium 4-5 days a week. I suspect you would say this horse has matched feet. In fact it has a clubfoot (grade 2).

By the way I think this horse has a mild scoliosis which I think is always functional in horses as opposed to structural but I am not sure.

I am posting these mainly to get you to be less absolute and MUCH more skeptical. These issues are so often more complicated that you seem to imagine.
170504_002.jpg
170504_002.jpg (186.24 KiB) Viewed 13572 times

170504_004.jpg
170504_004.jpg (159.04 KiB) Viewed 13572 times

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 05, 2017 11:34 am

This horse's club foot is on the right, the right shoulder is flatter than the left which has a distinct bulge at the top. Kind of hard to see with the mane covering both sides.

Does this horse exhibit a grazing stance? That means his LF will be forward and his RF will be back.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 11:37 am

Yes on the club side and the stance.

These shoulders are almost matched in my opinion. I suspect any random horse would have a similar amount of mismatch. I thought you were saying there would be a dramatic difference that is outside random noise.
Last edited by Tsavo on Fri May 05, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 11:39 am

Also I don't know how you would rule out any difference in shoulder morphology being due to that slight scoliosis. I don't think these things are separable just thru simple inspection.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 11:41 am

I also think if these clubfooted horses are ridden correctly, the mismatch in the shoulders is not very apparent as is the case with this horse. If so, there is the confounder of riding that will figure into your claim about shoulder asymmetry and clubfoot.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 05, 2017 11:48 am

Tsavo I see no reason to continue this debate with you, you do not read any articles that I post so why bother at this time. I have more than enough on my plate here at my farm than to continue beating my head against a wall. You have your beliefs, I have mine which is backed by people (vets, farrier) that I admire. You have obviously not looked at this issue before, have probably never even raised a foal. You do not understand the forces that are applied due to the one sided grazing stance.

Just take a look at the most recent sites I posted from The Horse, they summarize the Dutch study of 45,000 horses. You can find that study with a bit of searching but I have no interest in doing so for you with your closed mind.

Yes, hi/lo and club foot development are related. Just hi/lo is just a less form of club foot.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 11:54 am

I don't think we agree on what is evidence. "Holistic" viewpoints are not compatible with evidence-based methods. Also I don't think you appreciate the magnitude of complexity of issues like this. That's why I introduced the scoliosis example which has parallels and especially goes to show the issue of correlation versus causation. Many of those studies might have had much better correlations than any correlation study for clubfoot you posted yet they are still almost certainly wrong. Please consider that.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 am

khall wrote:Yes, hi/lo and club foot development are related. Just hi/lo is just a less form of club foot.

I am tempted to ask how you know this but I will not.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Tsavo your remarks are making me LOL. What I find so funny is that I (with the bad pictures you posted) told you exactly what was going on with your horse. Having looked at this issue and looked at many many horses over the years with hi/lo and club foot issues they exhibit exactly what your horse does. That distinct bulge on the forward shoulder and the flatter shoulder on the high foot from the leg being protracted. You may think they are "almost matched" that tells me how little you really look at the horse's body. Horse's who are ridden correctly and do not have the one sided grazing stance will have matching shoulders.

I also agree that with proper riding (go read Ridgeway or Manola Mendez on this) you might be able to minimize the mismatched shoulders. But as long as the horse continues to graze with a one sided stance there will always be a problem with sidedness. They spend way more time grazing than in work, so those forces will continue to form the horse.

Just go read the Dutch study of 45,000 high level dressage and jumping horses. It was conducted because the studbook was noticing a higher incidence of hi/lo issues in the horses being bred now. Quite interesting and not "holistic".

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 05, 2017 12:50 pm

BTW this is not just "random noise" it is the shoulders telling the story of the front feet and grazing stance.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri May 05, 2017 1:02 pm

khall wrote: Horse's who are ridden correctly and do not have the one sided grazing stance will have matching shoulders.
Really? I've read many saddle fitting articles and fitters say that generally they find shoulder asymmetry and it's usually a left shoulder larger. I suppose it may make sense to conclude that few horses are ridden correctly. I never paid attention much to my horse's grazing stance and I never had him as a foal. I wouldn't say he has a club foot, but I suppose someone could make a case he has hi/low. I'm not knowledeable in this area and I trust my farrier. All I can say is my horse is old and never had a front lameness and we got pretty far in training with shoulders that look similar to Tsavo's pics, maybe even worse.

With respect to articles, I also judge the author's expertise. From lately researching a couple things (not horse related) I have found much contradiction, plagiarism, error and what have you. You really have to be careful whose writings you choose to believe.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm

khall wrote:But as long as the horse continues to graze with a one sided stance there will always be a problem with sidedness. They spend way more time grazing than in work, so those forces will continue to form the horse.

I work out in the gym about half as many hours a week as this horse works and my body is COMPLETELY transformed outwardly (shape, size, shoulder girdle position, etc.) and inwardly (percent composition protein versus lipid). I haven't changed anything else just like clubfooted horses don't change their grazing stance). Also I have seen massive transformations in horses similar or more than what I did with my body.

I think you are completely underestimating this factor also with the likely complexity of clubfoot in horses and what constitutes not just good evidence but evidence at all.
Last edited by Tsavo on Fri May 05, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:15 pm

musical comedy wrote:
khall wrote: Horse's who are ridden correctly and do not have the one sided grazing stance will have matching shoulders.
Really? I've read many saddle fitting articles and fitters say that generally they find shoulder asymmetry and it's usually a left shoulder larger. I suppose it may make sense to conclude that few horses are ridden correctly. I never paid attention much to my horse's grazing stance and I never had him as a foal. I wouldn't say he has a club foot, but I suppose someone could make a case he has hi/low. I'm not knowledeable in this area and I trust my farrier. All I can say is my horse is old and never had a front lameness and we got pretty far in training with shoulders that look similar to Tsavo's pics, maybe even worse.

With respect to articles, I also judge the author's expertise. From lately researching a couple things (not horse related) I have found much contradiction, plagiarism, error and what have you. You really have to be careful whose writings you choose to believe.

This is my understanding also. I think if I just presented those photos nobody would suggest clubfoot versus just uneven shoulders.

The problem with science and requiring evidence is that it is very hard to do yet is still the only way to sort out issues like this. Holistic viewpoints are a way of claiming evidence is not important because it is so hard to do it right.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 05, 2017 4:43 pm

MC first I am at a loss for words that you do not know if your horse has a grazing stance or if he is hi/lo. That just stuns me. It is pretty simple observation of both. But whatever works for you. What I don't understand is you getting your knickers in a twist over my statement about mismatched shoulders. You don't know if your horse has a one sided grazing stance but you take offense believing then I say you did not ride your horse correctly. What I would suggest then is go take a look at your horse in the field grazing, if his shoulders look like Tsavo's horse's do, then more than likely he grazes with his LF foreword and his RF back. Because I believe you in that you worked your horse correctly, based on other posts you have made on training.

Also MC I did not just read the article in The Horse (who BTW does a pretty good job of summarizing lots of veterinary studies and information) I used the info from the article to get to the actual study the Dutch did on high level jumping and dressage horses. I found it very interesting.

Tsavo you posted those photos of your horse wanting to illustrate that a club footed horse has level shoulders based on my statement that if a horse has hi/lo, club foot and grazing stance he will have mismatched shoulders. I quite clearly saw his issues in his shoulders and could tell you A) which foot was the club foot and B) what his grazing stance will look like. I NEVER said ONLY hi/lo or clubby footed horses will have mismatched shoulders. I am sure there are many horses out there out of balance with mismatched shoulders due to bad saddle fit, bad riding etc.

The Dutch study is not based on any holistic anything. They saw an problem that has become more prevalent in the breeding of WBs and looked into it. Both with the foals and the 45,000 high level dressage horses and jumping horses in their studbook.

I will try to post some pictures of a few of my horses. My gelding Rip has totally even shoulders, he has never shown a one sided grazing stance and I guess he has been worked properly. I have a wither tracing of his, you can lay it over and it exactly mirrors each other. I'll look at his sister Gaila too, she was one of mine that showed uneven hoof development and wore the cuff. I also have my filly, she has not really been worked but it would be interesting to see what her shoulders look like in a tracing. She was the one who had check ligament surgery.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri May 05, 2017 5:53 pm

I guess I am saying that we can't assume my horse, muted as his shoulder unevenness is, is the end of the range. In fact it would be unlikely. That means there are club-footed horses with LESS of a mismatch and some at the point where you can't notice perhaps, in work or out. Add in correct work and I bet the shoulders could be matched to the point where you would not suggest clubfoot if not cued. You don't know the range or the confounders in each case.

Also the point about "reading" these research articles. It is never enough to just read them. If you want to know how good they are you have to dissect them and chase things down if necessary. With the small n study it is almost not worth the time because I can show you much larger n studies that would appear just as convincing to you that are in fact wrong.

Can you please help me out on the 45,000 horse study? Can you just provide the reference please? It is probably also a correlational study which, as I have tried to explain over and over can be shown to be pretty weak evidence despite the large n.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri May 05, 2017 8:17 pm

khall wrote:MC first I am at a loss for words that you do not know if your horse has a grazing stance or if he is hi/lo.

I think perhaps you read more into it. All horses I notice graze with one leg forward. Google "horse graze" and then look at "images". Do your horses graze with front feet together? Like the majority of horses, he has a bigger left shoulder and prefers left leg forward.

That just stuns me. It is pretty simple observation of both. But whatever works for you. What I don't understand is you getting your knickers in a twist over my statement about mismatched shoulders. You don't know if your horse has a one sided grazing stance but you take offense believing then I say you did not ride your horse correctly. What I would suggest then is go take a look at your horse in the field grazing, if his shoulders look like Tsavo's horse's do, then more than likely he grazes with his LF foreword and his RF back. Because I believe you in that you worked your horse correctly, based on other posts you have made on training.
I don't have my knickers in a twist at all. I guess I'm looking at things as being a serious problem or a minor one. When I think of hi-lo, I'm envisioning something quite obvious. I suppose because his hooves are not perfectly symmetrical, than maybe you would consider him so. I believe most horses are asymmetrical in the shoulders. Whether it is from the hooves, poor riding, or whatever, It varies. I have seen quite a few BNT FEI horses with all kind of asymmetries. I focus on riding my horse straight, which I am able to do. I think that anyone that doesn't understand how to ride a horse straight, probably is going to have shoulder asymmetry and worse. And...I would say that would be the vast majority of riders.
Also MC I did not just read the article in The Horse (who BTW does a pretty good job of summarizing lots of veterinary studies and information) I used the info from the article to get to the actual study the Dutch did on high level jumping and dressage horses. I found it very interesting.
Did I say anything about The Horse or any specific article? Tsavo mentioned Redding and some barefoot trimmer, Kande mentioned Esco Buff, you mentioned Mendez and Ridgeway and the Dutch article. Two of those sources I would never read, but others would.

Tsavo you posted those photos of your horse wanting to illustrate that a club footed horse has level shoulders based on my statement that if a horse has hi/lo, club foot and grazing stance he will have mismatched shoulders. I quite clearly saw his issues in his shoulders and could tell you A) which foot was the club foot and B) what his grazing stance will look like. I NEVER said ONLY hi/lo or clubby footed horses will have mismatched shoulders. I am sure there are many horses out there out of balance with mismatched shoulders due to bad saddle fit, bad riding etc.
Honestly, I am willing to accept that a lot of problems my horse(s) have had were due to my less-than-perfect riding. But taking my current old guy as an example, I got him at age 7. He was an 'approved' hanoverian stallion gelded upon importation. He did his 100 day test in Medingen, Germany. He was ridden and trained by Klaus Martin Rath, so I assume he had good riding during his formative years. Not long after I bought him, I had Jochen Schleese measure him for a custom saddle. Too bad I've thrown out all the paper work from those days, but I clearly remember him noting the shoulder asymmetry then and him telling me that it likely wouldn't change and he sees it all the time. After that, I have had regular saddle fitting regularly and things have remained pretty much unchanged. Does than mean I should have improved the situation or does that mean that once shoulders are developed, they can't easily change.

Regarding Jochen, which I realize a lot of people don’t like, you have to agree he and his staff look at a lot of horses and document what they see in asymmetry. Here is a quote from one of his articles:

" In my 34+ years of working in this industry, my saddle fit technicians and I have measured and observed upwards of 150,000 horses on pretty much every continent. The majority of them had a definitely stronger muscled left side, with a shoulder blade that was higher and further back than on the right."

The Dutch study is not based on any holistic anything. They saw an problem that has become more prevalent in the breeding of WBs and looked into it. Both with the foals and the 45,000 high level dressage horses and jumping horses in their studbook.

I will try to post some pictures of a few of my horses. My gelding Rip has totally even shoulders, he has never shown a one sided grazing stance and I guess he has been worked properly. I have a wither tracing of his, you can lay it over and it exactly mirrors each other. I'll look at his sister Gaila too, she was one of mine that showed uneven hoof development and wore the cuff. I also have my filly, she has not really been worked but it would be interesting to see what her shoulders look like in a tracing. She was the one who had check ligament surgery.
To be clear, your thinking is that if a person has owned a horse for a while and the shoulders are asymmetrical, then it is likely due to poor riding? Whatever, my priority is if the horse is staying sound and the training is progressing.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Like the majority of horses, he has a bigger left shoulder and prefers left leg forward. re MC

Actually MC that is not a normal grazing pattern, horses should "walk" in their grazing pattern. Not be one sided. That right there tells you why your horse has mismatched shoulders with a bulge on the left. Horses in a natural pattern will have one forward then the other as they graze. That is what my horses do, never with one favored forward. It is that one sided grazing pattern that leads to the uneven hoof development and mismatched shoulders. Just what I said in my previous post to you. I could predict based on your description of a bulging left shoulder that if he had a one sided grazing stance he would have LF forward. I would bet too that his RF is the high foot and LF low foot.

MC you are putting words into my posts I did not say, in fact I said the exact opposite that it was not your riding but more than likely one sided grazing stance with your horse. there are lots of reasons why a horse will have mismatched shoulders, one sided grazing stance is a big one. Bad riding and bad saddle fit , injury etc etc.

And based on the saddle fitters shoulder description I would bet that most of those horses had a one sided grazing stance with LF forward and RF back.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun May 07, 2017 1:21 am

I would guess that horses on grass, who move around slowly as they graze, are more likely to switch shoulders as compared to those who are fed in piles of hay and basically stay parked.

khall

Postby khall » Sun May 07, 2017 1:34 am

orono actually no, horses with certain conformation (high short neck and long legs) tend to have a one sided grazing stance. Tsavo said her horse does this and so did MC. That one sided grazing stance is what I observed years ago with my TB mare who had hi/lo issues which is what got me interested in the issue. You will see this begin as foals and this leads to the clubby hoof issues if you cannot arrest it with glue on cuff or if needed check ligament surgery like my Luso filly had to have. This also leads to the mismatched shoulders like pictured in Tsavo's horse.

Return to “Dressage Training”