Goals and Progress March April 2017

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Goals and Progress March April 2017

Postby khall » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:47 am

This is my filly sporting Rip's saddle! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
She is short backed, strong loin, long hip with a great hind leg on her. Will probably be a nightmare with saddle fit:(
and her showing how dirty a buttermilk buckskin can get! https://www.facebook.com/keri.hall.35/p ... 1491531911

The TB/Perch on the other hand is quite long in the back with a weaker loin was wasp waisted when she first got here(better now with weight and work and maturity) straighter hind leg than I like to see, but better than too much angulation! Quite a large front end, at least big shoulders from the Percheron side, thinner neck not quite so high set as most Percheron's are. So she has been different for me to ride and work with. Lots of lateral work to build strength and mobility. She is getting it! Now upping the game with asking for more active hind leg without pushing onto her front end.

Where my WBs with their big bodies and muscles lack flexibility. They are very powerful and strong and just do not hollow their backs, but can use that power to work against you burying themselves on their front end (more Rip than his sister Gaila who has better neck placement than he does) All of the lateral work has developed their flexibility to the point now that Rip at the walk can do a full pass in hand, we regularly do renvere on bending lines. So much better now with the development we have done.

Sorry put into two posts!

Gwen
Herd Member

Postby Gwen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 pm

My friend videoed my lesson this week, which was enlightening and helpful, if demoralizing. :lol: Trot is looking pretty good and strong, canter looks miles away from where we need it to be. And my position makes me nuts. Thighs creeping too far forward, leg coming up - I'm allowing Callie to sneak behind my leg in canter and I'm having to do too much to keep her going. The worst part is remembering how much effort I was putting in, and then seeing how little I was getting out!

It was good motivation to suck it up and get outside, just to get the extra forward.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Video is so humbling (but can also be encouraging and super helpful). I really need to get some new video shot!

I think I've mentioned that I'm now at an eventing barn. I don't usually think of myself as knowing much about dressage, as I've only ridden lower levels and am unlikely to ever ride at FEI levels. It is striking to me watching eventers learning about what does it take to get to 2nd level type carriage (for Prelim). It is a shocking difference for their riding/expectations and it is very hard for them. I realized that I have been through that process (training to 2nd) on a number of horses and am actually familiar with the time and work it requires--so to me it seems very do-able. Committing to all those transitions (within and between gaits) and all that strength building (over time) is not that daunting to me. Maybe I have learned something over the years!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Piedmont - the journey always seems shorter if you've been there before!!

I know exactly what you mean - I'm in a similar boat as you training and experience wise and on occasion I've helped my eventer friend with her horse. She just does not want to commit to doing all those transitions and figures with any consistency!

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

This month or so has been quite an odd one but with good results and a bit of progress.

I managed to end up front cover with a three page spread about my pony and trec in Native Pony magazine.

A few weeks ago we went to our usual venue and competed in intro c (walk trot) and preliminary dressage (includes canter work). Pony had spooked at reader last two times I competed so I went reader less. She was a little star in intro getting 67%, still a bit stiff but spot on obedient and good marks for accuracy.

I meanwhile got hotter and hotter, got v confused warming up for preliminary. Class an hour early than I should of then another competitors friend realised I was waaay early and let me know so went for a cuppa and break for pony, I got even hotter. Did preliminary class reader less despite no practice as menage shut for resurfacing and trainer away a hen party in Gdansk,poland of all places. First half went well with pony putting in good left canter, second half less well as I couldn't remember right canter aids and got lost at end of test! Despite this got 60% with marks ranging from 7.5 for left canter to 4 for right muffled by rider canter. Felt boiling hot drive home and was very ill once home missing next day of work with stomach bug.

I did have the presence of mind to ask the judge for advice before going home. Her view was that main problem was rigid shoulders of rider (nerves) equals rigid contact equals stiff horse. I discussed this with my instructor as I had worked hard to have low still hands and not fiddle so seem to now have the extreme opposite and she suggested thinking of flexing pony in test to loosen up my shoulders, and just doing more tests (kill or cure!).

So on Saturday I attended a fell pony breed show which had dressage classes, good old intro c again and preliminary seven. I worked in a little as it was unseasonably hot. Went in and as I rode round the arena waiting for the bell we both sort of relaxed as it was just like the warm up arena where I normally compete. I concentrated on riding accurately, being determined, flexing pony and bending her round my leg and using leg and weight aids to turn and pretending their were tree cones to ride circles round and poles to ride straight bits between. It clearly worked as pony concentrated on being forward, straight and in a nice outline.

We came second on 71%. I was absolutely delighted especially as the organiser complemented me and pony on a lovely test that was a pleasure to watch!!!

I had not been able to practice the preliminary test at all as year end at work. Despite this we managed to come a respectable third place with 7.5's and an 8 for our canter work and some lovely comments from the judge.Also really helpful comments regarding the movements that had pulled our score down, such as needing to bend pony more round my leg.

Pleased as finally feel canter is established.

I will try and upload photos once available.

Plan now if one day trec competition in two weeks time, then another unaffiliated dressage intro and prelim. The organiser where i usually compete has kindly given me two class tickets for british dressage affiliated classes, so plan is to have a bash at one in may.

Down side is that i have been ill after each competition and been sent a nice photo of me and pony and realised i am over heating due to being hugely overweight so another diet beckons...
Last edited by greenholmeshandy on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Awesome update!!! Congratulations on your progress and being on the cover of Native Pony! :D :D :D

FYI - I am working on the same issues and exercises as you and with similar body issues. I'm also a petite rider with a strong opinionated Connemara. Lots of work on my posture and shoulders which helped me discover how to use my core. Duh - now I can finally ride a decent sitting trot. Finding that sweet spot where they bend around your leg and being able to control and move the shoulders - FUN! Pony starts to figure out how not to lean on rider for balance and gives a lovely connection. This is about riding with our legs and seat and less dependence on hands. I'm just getting back into riding again after very long wet winter. Hoping to make more progress where we left off.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Show report!
I can officially say that I'm an FEI rider now! I still feel far from it, but I made my debut on Gala at PSG, wore the shadbelly for the first time and not only was it not a disaster, but we pulled out a respectable 63% despite errors on my part on both lines of tempi changes. This is truly a childhood dream come true to wear tails and canter down centerline. Some day, I hope a grand prix is in my future. Gala and I also rode 4:1 in difficult conditions - very windy, 2 judges, letters were all laid down on their sides and we managed another 63% - so, now I only have one score left (PSG) for my silver medal. Here is a pic from the show - not the best quality, waiting to see what comes back from the show photographer. Obviously, there is stuff to pick at, but overall, I'm very happy with what we presented.
gala_psg.jpg
gala_psg.jpg (100.55 KiB) Viewed 22967 times

The next step is another show in 2 weeks. I'll be riding PSG again and this time, a 4th level freestyle that I will have to figure out asap.

Meanwhile, Miro and I had some great steps of haunches in at the walk. I've narrowed the issue down to that he wants to still get a bit lateral in the walk, and when I ask him to put his haunches in at the walk, he is struggling - I can feel him shuffling his feet all over for the first 2 steps. So, we're doing a bit of haunches in on the long side at the walk, riding squares, and basically making a non-issue out of it. I'm making sure that above all, he keeps the rhythm in the walk. So, I think we'll get this sorted before too long.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Congratulations GHH and Dresseur! Look forward to pics from all.

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Dressuer, well done you both look so correct and beautiful.

Here are my photos by way of contrast.
_6104452{Dressage Prelin 7 (2).jpg
_6104452{Dressage Prelin 7 (2).jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 22948 times
_6104518{Dressage Prelin 7 (1).jpg
_6104518{Dressage Prelin 7 (1).jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 22948 times
_6104232{Dressage Intro (1).jpg
_6104232{Dressage Intro (1).jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 22948 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Love the photos GHH! Your pony shows real talent---that means you are helping her do that!! I am not surprised that you and your mount were "cover pony" for your breed magazine :-D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:38 am

Gwen, I use weekly video evaluation for progress. It's a very useful tool.

Dresseur and GHH, lovely show updates. Well done.

Re event and dressage a top event rider told many a person how he ruined his potential best event horse by doing too much dressage. I quipped that that was only possible if you are doing the wrong dressage, but many event riders feel that way, so they do not put in dressage time.

I realized today, again, wrt shortening the reins, that I am shaping to Kimba, instead of asking her to shape to my aids. We took a step back and worked nose ahead of the vertical, in an steady tempo, with more correct bend, especially to the right. She bucked at my outside leg twice, so I guess I have been allowing the haunches out in my 10 m circles.

The result was a softer gently foaming mouth, and lots of sweat equity.

I feel positive about this direction in training for her now.

Deneb is feeling the joys of spring and had rather a passage like trot the whole ride. The earth had springs, I guess.

Keep on posting, Its wonderful, my absolute favorite threads on ddbb.

Gwen
Herd Member

Postby Gwen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 am

I agree Chisamba, my favorite thread on the internet! I wish I had someone to video me every week, I have to take what I can get. The barn has bought a pixio they are going to install in the ring so we can all video ourselves and our lessons, which is so exciting.

Loved the show outings, go DDBers!

My friend is an eventer, her horse is a super jumper but has a lateral tendency in the canter and walk, and is extremely tricky in the contact. The dressage work they've done has totally transformed him, his canter has improved and is a lot more balanced, and he's finally getting the hang of counter canter. But I think the horse would definitely rather be jumping, I suspect that the same is true for the eventing riders. :lol:

I've been sick, and so has my daughter, but will be back in the saddle today.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:00 pm

GreenHolmesHandy, there is a lot to like in those pics with you and your guy. You are definitely improving and I love his active hind leg!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 pm

greenholmeshandy - way to go!! You guys look very nice together. Onward and upward!

Dresseur - you look fabulous as always. I am not in the least surprised by your very good result at your FEI debut!! Way to go!!! Hoping it'll be my turn in a few years. lol.

I am having my first lesson since February on Thursday, and then we are bringing Bliss and Princess home!!! Yaaayyyy!! Can't wait. :)

Gwen - good luck getting back in the saddle post sickness!

Chisamba - sounds like you had a lovely ride with Kimba, and have fun with Deneb!!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 pm

GHH, congratulations!

And wow, that really is quite the hind leg!

Dresseur, nicely done. A very elegant picture.

I spent the weekend in Del Mar at the Carl Hester clinic. What a great experience. I have reams of notes to go through and a new understanding of some things I was somewhat hazy about before.

He really is a very fine trainer, and we saw all levels of horses from 90 days under saddle (the poor horse was freaked out of his skin by the whole experience, which was tactfully cut short by both the rider and Carl,) through the young horse test ages, to PSG, small tour and Grand Prix.

I think a big takeaway for all of us is that, no matter how advanced the rider, we all work on the same things (more than one rider was told to put their thumbs on top, and that they needed to use their core more, and their was a big focus on straightness for horse and rider.) That and precision and accuracy, (and "loosen the curb rein.")

Now, all I need is my horse, sound...

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30 am

Great updates! Dresseur congrats on PSG, that's so exciting! I'm hoping one day I'll get there too. You definitely look the part in the photo.
Greenholmeshandy- love your pics too! Looking good!

Moutaineer, sorry your horse is still sore but I bet the Carl Hester clinic would have been great. I did watch a clinic here a few years ago now, but I would love to see him again now with a bit more knowledge I would probably get more out of it. Charlotte Dujardin is coming out later this year so I'd love to try and get to that.

I hang out with a few eventers and I get so surprised when I see them fly over huuuuuge jumps, then struggle to do a decent 20m circle! I guess they look at me and wonder why I'm such a gumby over tiny fences too :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Flight wrote:I hang out with a few eventers and I get so surprised when I see them fly over huuuuuge jumps, then struggle to do a decent 20m circle! I guess they look at me and wonder why I'm such a gumby over tiny fences too :D

Yes, it is funny! I am in awe of their stability and straightness over big jumps. Also many of these big event horses have such lovely canters---really built for doing a good, powerful gallop on course. My mare is known as "the unicorn" and the "dressage dumpling", as she is white, short (15.2) and round compared to these elegant long legged eventers!

Dresseur, your descriptions of Miro's tendencies are very similar to what I deal with on Emi---very helpful! Ponichiwa, we were just playing with the collected trot to half steps out to medium the other night. It feels so much easier than 6 months ago. Our changes are still solidly inconsistent. I've been pretty ill the last month and have not been working on them enough. I really want us to get fully fluent in 3rd level this year. We are much closer with the other movements.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:56 am

Dresseur and Greenholmes excellent show reports! Nice pictures from both too.

Mountaineer, I understand your frustration, still not sure what I am facing with Rip at this point. Will know more tomorrow after his scope. Will probably be injecting stem cells at some point and have found where some vet was using essentials oils as a throat spray that was healing some cases. I have no experience with essential oils but I will probably be looking into it. I do know that if these treatments do not work, I will probably end up retiring Rip fairly soon. Not sure how much longer he can work and I feel ok about it if he shows me he is struggling. Felt that a bit today, but am trying not to panic quite yet. I know he will be ok in the pasture for awhile, I think it is the work and the neck placement that bothers him. He is ok roaming around the pasture and hanging in his stall. It is depressing for sure. I do not think a trach would be in his best interest, so don't think I will go that route. We will either reverse him, hope he stays stable and ok breathing for awhile even if I cannot work him, and ultimately I will let him go if I have to.

Not doing much with anyone else, just lunging Gaila, lunged filly just a bit. We lost fencing last week during the storms and wind we had, so had to work on that last weekend and will again this weekend. And Sunday was a rough day here, not sure who saw my thread in Observation Lounge, but my friend who owns and rides the TB/Perch had a bad fall Sunday off the mare after she spooked and cantered off throwing a few bucks in along the way. I was the only other person here on the farm, saw the accident. She was knocked unconscious even with a helmet. Scared the crap out of me especially when she began stirring and I saw the blood from her head. Bad freaking day. She is doing better, but will be some time before she is up to par. Had some cracks in her pelvis as well as head injury. I do think though she has realized that this mare is not a good match for her, never has been. Too big, too green and that draft not an easy ride and my friend is all of 100 lbs soaking wet.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Ok so miss Delilah is back in work and I've had 2 lessons with my instructor this week to catch up on the lessons we missed when she was off with the virus. Tuesdays lesson was a bit hectic as it was the second time I've ridden madam since she's been off so she had a number of tantrums again.

Today's lesson actually went really well and my instructor pointed out my big issue with the tantrums. I don't react quick enough, he pointed out I need to fix the problem when she's still moving forward. The moment she gets stuck in her trot, I need to tap with the whip. I could definately feel the difference in her movement today. I tend to either get too focused on getting her light infront or too focused on her being forward, and I need to get quicker in my reactions. She's back though and it felt amazing riding her big trot once I got her sitting in the trot again instead of dragging me forward :P.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm

I am not getting much riding in, but my 2 ponies are getting plenty of exercise! It seems that a lovely pair of young wild turkeys has decided to move in. We have a double row of very tall spruce trees that run for several hundred yards on the west side of our property that provide perfect shelter for these two. Unfortunately, Rudy can't quite wrap his brain around these 2 very tall chickens, and he spends the day running all over our nice hilly pasture. :lol: :lol: Naturally, Tio has to run along with him, so this is great for his weight loss program. On the down side, riding is a bit of a challenge when the Tom wanders into the arena fluffing his feathers at us. I really don't understand why, with all the chickens we have running loose, these turkeys are so scary! Oh well.

My personal challenge, aside from trying to ride more than once a week, is to spend a goodly portion of the ride on Rudy without stirrups. I also added some time staying up in a half seat in the trot and canter to build more leg (and core) strength and to make sure I am evenly balanced in the saddle. For fitness, I have added a very brisk walk every morning and some evenings, and if my knees/hips allow, a little running as well.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Well...riding...not so much. April weather has been very March like which means wind...lot of it. Several days when I could ride, I didn't. Sorry, I am getting old and being a weather wimp. I have kept up ground work and "playing". One day I built a 'box' with poles and we played with getting her to stop in the box from walk and trot. I didn't try it out of canter but she was quite good...it kept her squared up :lol: . She was quite proud of herself. I had them set so that on the rounds I didn't ask her to stop, she could either trot or canter through them. Just trying to keep things interesting for her. Straightforward has had some nice rides on her. My surgery is coming up fast (April 24th) so I don't know how much I will get done with her before that. I would like to get her over to the track (that is the extent of our 'trail riding') a couple times before my surgery but she is horribly reactive and spooky in the wind and so that hasn't happened.

Hopefully by the one month mark post surgery, I can get back out to the barn and get her going with her groundwork. I doubt I will try riding before the 6 month mark and it may be a year? So Kyra will have a life of leisure.Not many goals here.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Rip is now retired. Not sure on his future here on Earth. If he continues to progress with the cicatrix the way he is now, more than likely I will be euthanizing him within a month or two. Right now he only has about 50% of his airway.

Extremely depressed and not the "progress report" I wanted to share.

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Hello khall how awful for you and rip presumably not something a hobday would help x

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:00 pm

khall wrote:Rip is now retired. Not sure on his future here on Earth. If he continues to progress with the cicatrix the way he is now, more than likely I will be euthanizing him within a month or two. Right now he only has about 50% of his airway.

Extremely depressed and not the "progress report" I wanted to share.

I am so very sorry. My sincere support is with you as you make this difficult part of his journey with you

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 am

Khall - I am so very sorry to hear about Rip. Sending hugs and support for your future journey.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:48 am

I'm so sorry, Khall. I was hoping for better news for you.
Last edited by Moutaineer on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:19 am

Khall, I'm so sorry. I wish I could find something to say that would be of comfort. :cry:

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:48 am

Oh Khall that's horrible :( So sorry!!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:47 am

Khall I'm so sorry. So very difficult. We get so close to them and then it is so awful when we know we will lose them. However, it is worse to watch them suffer. You have my tears in sympathy.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:23 am

I'm so sorry khall. ((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Khall, I am so sorry to hear that. :(

I got a ride in on Kyra last night. We did more of a stretchy warmup than usual, and had some great within-gait transitions after that as well as some nice shoulder-in. She is stiff left, and I got her honestly bending around my leg in the SI that direction, finally! Unfortunately all the energy just sapped away when we tried to translate to half pass, so I think there is more of that quality shoulder in needed before going for a better half-pass. Due to the low energy yesterday, we just did a few small lengthenings in trot and canter, but for the rest of the month I need to remember to work school them and look more for the feeling of a medium. Hoping next weekend I'll be able to get a lesson in.

The new girl seems to be a bit out in her pelvis, so I'm not really planning to ride her for now. She has probably a month or so of lunging to get accustomed to the working gaits I'm looking for, and learning to bend more on a circle. Hopefully some bodywork will get her going on the right path, and we'll be able to jump into the May-June thread. She was a bit full of it when I lunged her last night, and showed me a couple pretty fancy, clean flying changes, so it's good to know that's in there. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks everyone, mountaineer I am sorry you are facing a long road with Laddie. I hope he comes out the other side OK.

Out of all the horses I have lost over the years (5) this will be the hardest one ever. It is just not fair, he is sound and healthy except for this "syndrome" that is not supposed to be here!! I bred and raised Rip, was the first to lay hands on him. Except for the first 30 days US I have done all the work on him with Mark's fabulous help. I was have just been reaping the rewards these last couple of years with Rip and all the foundation we had put in with Mark. I was having so much fun! It is to the point we are considering selling the farm because I just do not know and no one knows much on this issue. I did send grass samples off to a lab in CA to look for pathogens. Maybe we can find some answers.

One absolutely bright spot is that my foster dog Sage that I have had almost 3 yrs now is meeting a potential adopter today who sounds perfect for her!! She is a client of my holistic vet and just lost her Katrina rescue dog last week.

Sage has a new perfect home!! Tears of happiness and tears of sadness.
Last edited by khall on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Oh dear I'm so sorry to hear that... :(

khall

Postby khall » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm

SF try canter trans to trot and then HP. Rip had some trouble in his R HP and Mark had me do this exercise and wow did that help. Canter helps engagement of inside hind leg, activates them and then carry it into the HP.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Khall that is a great idea for energizing the half pass. I'll have to try that.

Bliss came home Thursday. I had a lesson before we brought him home in which I rode like a wet noodle. Then I had a truly excellent ride yesterday morning at home, and another great one this morning. It is SO nice to have him home. I am just trying to get back in riding shape and adjust to Bliss's new big trot. Lindsey (trainer) spent the winter conditioning him up and down her super steep hill, doing canter cavaletti, and generally just riding him FORWARD and STRAIGHT. So he feels like a new horse. In our ride yesterday our working trot was so big it was almost a little bit scary. He wasn't running one bit, it was just truly in front of the leg for once and I had to keep reminding myself not to block him and just let the big trot be big.

Then in my ride this morning I decided to skip the arena altogether and we just worked in our driveway. Our driveway is at least a 1/4 mile long with two hills and a long straight stretch. So we walked up and down it once doing nice soft leg yeilds either way, then we trotted up AND DOWN it three times. By the last time, Bliss was stretching beautifully over the topline both up and down and the trot felt huge and incredible. It was truly glorious to be trotting in the early morning sunshine past the duck pond, the paddock, the barn, and then through the trees up and down the hilly parts. I feel truly blessed.

Here are a couple pics of the wet noodle lesson. Sorry they're such low quality but it's the best I can do. :)
Attachments
leg yeild.jpg
leg yeild.jpg (141.08 KiB) Viewed 22625 times
IMG_71861.jpg
IMG_71861.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 22625 times

khall

Postby khall » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Wow Rosie, that second pic shows a much more up and engaged Bliss!! Awesome!!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks khall. That is one of the big things Lindsey had been tackling all winter - he is not allowed to curl and he must carry himself! It's been quite eye opening for me to say the least as it's a bit different from how I am used to riding.

And again I'd like to say I'm so sorry about Rip. You didn't need this. You've had a rough enough time already. I am jingling for a miracle for him.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks Rosie. I don't know why this has happened and I am struggling with it for sure. Lots of tears (thankfully some happy tears too with adoption of my long time foster dog Sage!) We are still trying, he is on pred right now and I am looking into holistic possibilities especially essential oils. I have a great holistic vet and another friend who is very knowledgeable about EOs and Sage's new mom is a Reiki practioner and also has EO experience. I bought a diffuser yesterday and my one friend is bringing me frankincense to diffuse in his stall. I am willing to try what I can to help him.

I did get to smile with him last night. Turned out in different field with his buddies and they were busting around having great fun. Rip sure did not look like he was struggling! I will keep you all posted. Take my older mare, Rip's dam first thing Monday morning for recheck and then my boarder dodger and my filly Thurs for a recheck. If they are ok I will feel better. Still waiting on lab on grass samples. I am just scared for the other horses on the farm. My DH and I if we cannot fix this issue will probably sell the farm.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm

I really hope the EOs work out!!! Also fingers crossed that the other horses on the farm and your grass check out ok. That must be so stressful!!

I found another nice moment from the video of my lesson... this is a total fluke but it still looks rather nice. :)
Attachments
holy moly.jpg
holy moly.jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 22595 times

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:22 pm

So sorry to hear about Rip khall, hoping the essential oils can provide him some relief.

Wow Bliss looks amazing! I bet it's odd for you coming back to him feeling so different while also having been out of the saddle for a while but no doubt you'll get back into the swing of things in no time.

For my own report I've decided to skip the show at the end of this month. Not due to the way things are going but the whole month kind of snuck up on me and I realized entries are due tomorrow then the show is the following weekend and there are a few bits and pieces I still need like sheets, braiding kit, etc. The things I don't need for home life but are useful if we're going to go to a show. So I decided it was better to hold off than try and rush it because if I rush it then I'm just going to end up stressed and not have a good time. There are plenty of other shows coming up so not too disappointed with this decision.

On Friday I had a lesson which was not great but I think between that lesson and Saturday I made some realizations. Hopefully I'll find that we're on the right track with this. Friday was a shuffling trot, crooked walk, no right lead canter. I did get the right lead eventually but I was a huffing puffing mess and it was not great, however I was just happy to have gotten it. Yesterday was lovely. I had lengthened my stirrups half a hole on Friday, they are probably still too short but with my hips the way they are I'm not sure how long I can really get my leg and still be able to ride or dismount.. in any case I decided that yesterday was going to be an entirely "me day." So I broke out the Lynne S exercises, which P thought were very strange and our outdoor is not fenced and she can be a little noodley at times so I skipped the no reins ones, but after I was done I thought now I remember why I used to do these all the time. I also did a lot of halts and then used the tiniest aid to walk again, she was sluggish to respond at first but once she realized I was asking but very quietly she became extremely prompt and I practically just had to think walk and off we went. So I moved that idea to the trot, but because it was still "me day" I let her have a fairly loose rein. Again she was sluggish at first, but I didn't worry much about it, and then after a couple of laps her engine really kicked in and we were cruising right along. Then I asked for the right lead canter and it was a flop, so I went back to walk-trot, halt-walk transitions, and then when I felt she was really prompt asked again and ... still didn't get it. Back to transitions, as well as taking a look at what I might have been doing that was preventing the response I was looking for. I think the stirrup length change and the amount of forward I actually had at the trot were throwing me off a bit and we were really just having a miscommunication. So as they say third try's the charm and we got it - then several more without issue.

What has really become apparent to me between Friday and Saturday's ride is that the bigger I ask the less I get and also she seems to back off a lot when I pick up the reins. It's not a lack of contact thing, she reaches and stretches for the bit on the long rein but as soon as I shorten the reins she immediately backs off. It seems that almost always during my lessons she is giving her best lazy horse demonstration and now I'm thinking its because usually I'm so determined to have a forward horse for my lesson that I end up asking bigger than usual and get the opposite. Now I'm wondering if I don't so much have a lazy horse but a smart/tricky horse who doesn't like noise (really who can blame her). I also wonder if she either doesn't understand that when I pick up the reins she's still supposed to move out or if my hands are too noisy once I pick up the reins. For now I'm going to work under the assumption that she doesn't understand and try to build up her understanding while still trying to minimize any unnecessary noise and see if we can prove that she's not actually lazy because I really don't think she is.

Gwen
Herd Member

Postby Gwen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:47 am

I'm so sorry to hear about Rip, khall, what a nightmare. I hope you are able to get some answers, and that he continues to be comfortable and happy as long as possible.

First show is coming up, a schooling show mid-May. Need to make sure I know my tests... I also have to figure out some musical freestyle choreography for first level, but won't be showing it at the schooling show, I don't think.

We've been working canter like crazy, it's pretty much all we do every ride, trying to help both of us get stronger and more balanced. Need to develop more sit, more power, more throughness.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:23 pm

I am very sad for you khall. I know you will do well by Rip. What a tough period of time for you.

I am still very sick (my own special RA-like disease plus allergies = weakness and misery). This is when I am especially grateful to have such a kind mare, as she just knows when I don't have a lot of energy for the sillies. I tried to ride "for real" a couple of days ago and about died---I feel like I have no core. So we are doing walking hacks and hills.

I have watched a few local clinics over the last month. Nothing earth shattering in the teaching, but it did strike me how incredibly lucky I am to have a horse who is 1. sound and 2. willing. If you have that, a lot is possible.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Khall I am so very sorry about Rip, but glad to hear he is having fun out in the pasture with his friends.

SF congrats on your new pony and I hope Pickle is progressing well at her trainer's.

Impirini, repeat the mantra "less is more" while riding. Great insights you had this weekend--keep up the good work

Rosie, I am so happy Bliss is finally home and you can ride regularly again. He looks absolutely gorgeous.

I got to ride a bit this weekend. i am still going without stirrups on Rudy while gradually increasing his carrying power and my core strength. I think it is going well but have no video to confirm or deny my assessment. All I know is that he is reaching for the bit instead of curling and shortening (his go-to position), he feels even to both reins and both legs, and he isn't bouncing me out of the saddle. I have not done a lot of lateral work yet, just what it takes to get him forward and straight. My deal right now is to focus on very good transitions between gaits and in and out of halt to help build loin and hind end strength. For myself, I focus on keeping my hands uber quiet and my seat centered over his back up against the pommel of the saddle. It is amazing to me that, when he is going well, I can suddenly wrap my entire leg around his huge barrel, such that I can feel contact from my ankle all the way up. May not sound like much, but this little TB has extremely well-sprung ribs coupled with a tiny girth area (he wears a 20" girth) so when he is not engaging his abdominals, I lose contact mid-way down my calf. Interesting horse to ride.

Tio is still progressing. He was a bit of a maniac on the lunge and thought about carrying that bucking over to the under saddle potion of his workout, but I suggested he not and he listened! I was able to work on h-w-h and t-w-t transitions without drama and "invisible" aids so I am pleased. I wish I was braver though, and could take him out for a nice jaunt down the road, but he can be a bit much for me at times. This makes me think that I should send him to the place SF's filly is at, because they will ride him out in the desert and work the kinks out.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 pm

I was able to take some time and get in some consecutive lessons on Gala, as well as bring my guy over for a check in. The consecutive lessons really, really helped. (Usually I can only get 1 a week in, if that.) I had a bit of a breakthrough in the canter, and while I'm still not happy with my position, I'm feeling when I'm trying to draw back with the arms, and I'm starting to feel what is happening in the canter. She's so powerful, that everything feels like it's forward, but she's holding out on me. So, I had a huge breakthrough in the contact and finally, I was able to get some shots where she is taking a normal (not truncated) canter stride and that she's not short in the neck - which is huge. Finally, she wasn't leaning on me, and I wasn't allowing her to lean - which lead to some successful attempts at the 2's!!! She has huge changes, but I always manage to get them super short and stabby with the hind (crookedness and not managing the power and not managing to get her into self-carriage) So, while the change pic (3rd pic) is a bit tighter in the neck, I'm very pleased that she's taking a full step behind and I'm not leaning, falling over, contorting, or doing whatever else I do. :lol: :lol:
Gala.jpg
Gala.jpg (72.26 KiB) Viewed 22514 times

With Miro, he gets better and better, and is always so willing. The contact is lovely now, very light in the hand, yet connected. The canter is also not as contracted as it was and is coming more and more up in the shoulders - again, my position needs more work, but I feel like I'm able to better influence him as I get better by riding Gala. Counter canter is solid, and he actually did a clean change when he tried to leave the arena and then thought the better of it :lol: :lol: Shoulder in is very solid, haunches in is more difficult for him, but half pass seems easy and I think it will eventually be a highlight for him with the way he sweeps and reaches with his shoulders. We took a hard look at the walk piris, and interestingly, zero issues - so I'm to keep doing what I'm doing which is ask for a few steps and get out and just make it no. big. deal. He's doing them very, very correctly - and it's helping his walk (which wants to be lateral and spanish-walky when he gets tight) and the more he moves his body around, the better the haunches in gets. We've now also introduced haunches in within the canter, which he finds easier than in the trot. So, we'll start attempting baby half passes in the canter.

To me, it's interesting that for as gumby as he was, he finds connecting up for the lateral work difficult. Andrea explained that basically, he was sort of like a bicycle chain with body parts every which way - to connect and be able to push up through the lateral work is more difficult for him because he has to drive from behind to push the shoulders out of the way rather than just throwing legs around. His rideability and work ethic continue to impress me - he is wonderful for ring work, and super relaxed and pleasant for trail riding. The best of both worlds. And, I'm happy that I seem to be progressing this wonderful guy. I was so worried that I wouldn't let him reach his full potential - but then again, he doesn't care about that - he cares about his grass and turnout :lol:

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a terrible, very bad, no good weekend for Miro when he was deemed to be too chunky - and was promptly put on a diet. :lol: :lol:
Miro2.jpg
Miro2.jpg (117.71 KiB) Viewed 22514 times

Miro1.png
Miro1.png (199.8 KiB) Viewed 22514 times

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Got a chance to ride last night despite the ugly looking rain clouds hanging nearby and I am sooooo glad I bucked it up and rode!

Rudy was his usual wonderful self, tolerating me while I worked on riding without stirrups. I can feel him getting stronger and stronger so that now, even the canter work is good. This time I worked c-t-c sans stirrups and he stayed relaxed and forward throughout so that I could ride through the transitions without loss of position. With his ultra-short back and springy trot, if he is not through all the way the c-t transition can send me flying! I also worked a little hp and discovered that around the 3rd stride in I start to shift my weight to the outside and, of course, I lose the hp. So add that to my list of things to work on. :lol:

Tio was awesome!!!! I know this sounds like a dumb thing to be excited about but...I finally got a few t-c-t from him AND cantered all the way around the arena. :D :D :D Really, a coming 6yr old should be much further along in his training, but I haven't been in a hurry and he had some balance issues during his various growth spurts so whatever. He also did a twirl-buck-n-bolt when some little birdies flew out of the bushes but immediately settled back down and trotted by the same bushes without so much as a glance less than a minute later. Maybe he's finally "broke" after all!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Miro doesn't appear to be Fatter than Gala. And the camera ads ten pounds.

Poor Kimba used to be obese. I never put her on diet, but work trimmed her down, and recently I added Red Cell to her diet because I thought she could use a boost.

Sue B. I too sometimes feel I should be further along with Deneb, and then I remind myself, my horse, my pleasure, my time is fine.

My shout out today is for video. Sometimes I forget how much work advancement takes. I was a little frustrated when riding Kimba. I went back to perfecting more basic work as we were struggling a bit with some collection,

So doing more serpentine, circles, and transition in the gait, to make sure she is shaping correctly laterally.

Then some lateral work.

I have felt like I was treading water, but had my weekly video session and was happy to see some basic improvements.

My take away, do not always trust how it feels. Hard work proceeds the miracle.
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 pm

So, I haven't posted it because Khall's issues are so much more serious, and I've been having my own private pity party, but, Laddie is out for the next 6 months or so. ACL injury.

We head to the clinic on Monday for stem cell harvesting. Vet says he is confident that if all goes well he will return to his previous level of activity, which is good. Lots of handwalking in my future.

Yeah, I'm bummed about it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Moutaineer wrote:So, I haven't posted it because Khall's issues are so much more serious, and I've been having my own private pity party, but, Laddie is out for the next 6 months or so. ACL injury.

We head to the clinic on Monday for stem cell harvesting. Vet says he is confident that if all goes well he will return to his previous level of activity, which is good. Lots of handwalking in my future.

Yeah, I'm bummed about it.

Well Bugger Bugger bugger, as my English friend says to bad news. We did stem cell on a torn suspensory ligament and it came back to perfect health. Best ligament heal I ever saw. Jingles for Laddie.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:11 am

Well...crap Khall and Mountaineer. JIngles to everyone that has ailing horses.

Today, I took my last ride pre-surgery. Here's to next time in the saddle being comfortable ;) . It will probably be about 6 months before I even try it :P .

The weather was far from ideal but she worked well and we just futzed around with some lateral work @ walk...SI--10m circle--HI. I almost said some lateral walk work :lol: ...that isn't desirable. Did some serpentine work at trot and some basic canter work. By the end of our session she was nicely loose in her lumbar area and striding out nicely.

Straightforward will keep working her for awhile as she can work her in around her new Anna Banana. I hope after about a month, I can get back to doing some groundwork with her.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

khall

Postby khall » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 am

Mountaineer, I am sorry to hear about the ACL injury, I thought I had read this before then it looked like you had deleted part of your post. I know how depressing it is when a horse is injured or ill after all the work and care we put into them. It really stinks! I cried the whole way home when the vet told me to quit riding Rip, then cried some more when I got home (2+ hr trailer ride) I hope the stem cell therapy is successful and Laddie will come back to full soundness in 6 months.

Have had 2 trips to the vet's this week one with my older mare Gallie who has not been vaccinated for pythium and today with my filly Jo and boarder Dodger. Gallie and Jo both have the all clear. So all 3 of my other horses, all mares, are fine, scope clean. Dodger does have some slight scaring and slight narrowing but nothing active at this time. What was interesting is that my vet just happened to talk with an intern in TX (actually interviewing her) who works at a clinic that sees at least 1 cicatrix case a week. They have been having success with using pred and/or throat spray (mix of furacin, dex and sometimes DMSO) that is given orally in treating and controlling the cicatrix. This goes against all that both Dan and I had found in our research on this issue. It may have been the pred that caused his positive progression in Rip's Feb scope. I hate to get my hopes up that we can reverse anything at this time, so I am just waiting until next week's scope trying not to think about it. I am diffusing frankincense into his stall, poor Rip was not amused at first!

Dresseur, Miro is looking great! Fun that you are able to ride an FEI horse too! Riding those trained horses is so good at progressing our understanding.

Kyra's mom good luck with your surgery!

Sue B glad you are getting to ride again!! Was a long winter for you. Sounds like Rudy and Tio are coming back for you nicely.

I hope all can have a happy spring with lots of good riding and healing for those who need to heal, horse and human alike!

Return to “Dressage Training”