Goals and Progress March April 2017

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Gwen
Herd Member

Re: Goals and Progress March April 2017

Postby Gwen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 am

Oh Mountaineer, how disappointing!! I'm so sorry. I'm glad the vet is optimistic about the outcome.

Good luck with the surgery Kyra's Mom, I hope it goes as smoothly as possible and the outcome is everything you hope for!

Khall, I'll keep jingling, that's encouraging news and I hope Rip responds above expectations!

We have a ride-a-test next week, I'm looking forward to test-driving 2-3 in a more formal context. This week I've been focusing on my core, after a cold hit me and my daughter, forcing some inconsistency, I am back into the 3-4 days a week of Pilates routine as of the last few weeks, and it makes such a big difference in the control I have over my body.

I was so proud of Callie yesterday, she tends to get revved up anticipating changes, and yesterday she slowed her brain down and really listened to what I was asking, and we were able to get really nice counter canter serpentines, and some canter trot transitions which we had lost track of in all the change/canter-walk work. We did get one beautiful change when we were trying for a change of lead through trot :lol: - need to work on that since the plan is 1-3 and 2-3 this summer!

To go back to the Pilates, I think I'm able to be so much clearer with my aids when my core is really engaged, so I think that contributed to her being able to calm down and wait - in the past (and probably in the future! The ups and downs of riding being what they are...), I suspect my aids were muddier and she was *having* to make guesses about what I wanted because she wasn't totally sure. :oops:

Gwen
Herd Member

Postby Gwen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am

We had a change yesterday with NO anticipating!! She had, in general, been trying to change as soon as we turned on (any) diagonal and I started asking her to be straight, but yesterday we turned, got straight, and stayed calm and straight past X (!) and the second I asked gave a big change! So exciting.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Moutaineer, I'm sorry to hear that Laddie's issue was not just a minor thing, but glad you have a good prognosis.

I had an excellent ride on Kyra last night. We did a big canter warmup and then had some lovely, soft, responsive work including nice shoulder in, counter canter, simple changes, and even a couple good steps of half pass each way. I realized I need to make quicker decisions about riding out of a movement before it deteriorates, rather than riding through and trying to salvage it. Hoping the wind dies down enough to make it worth going out to ride again tonight.

I could use some pilates too. I'm just weak and out of shape after this winter. Ugh. To the gym with me. I just got a Fluidstance board for the office and it seems really promising for avoiding the slumped over desk jockey posture at the office.

April is going out like a lion here in Idaho. We've had rain storms every other day, today is a lovely wind storm, and the prediction is for rain until next Saturday. Under the circumstances, I am just sticking with ground work with Annabelle. She is already moving with better bend and rhythm from a week of semi-structured lunging. She's not eligible for turnout with the herd yet, so I've been trying to burn off her excess energy with daily lunging in a sodden arena. Today I introduced the Vienna reins loosely at W/T once she started getting her impulses under control. We'll continue with that and save any riding until the weather is a little calmer.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:02 am

Mountaineer - sorry to hear about Laddie. You must feel so bummed. Best of luck with his recovery!

Straightforward - that sounds like a lovely ride!! I hope you guys get some nice weather soon. We've had snow twice this week.

I had three super rides on Bliss this week then I got sick last night. Today I am feverish, weak, congested, and Bliss turned up dead lame last night with a stone bruise or possible abscess. It was all I could manage today to get the barn work done, soak his foot a bit, and poultice it. Fingers crossed we both feel better tomorrow and Bliss is good to go in a few days.

Gwen - that is super exciting!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:33 am

Gwen, that is awesome.

Straightforward, do you like the canter warmup? What improves versus lots of walk trot?

Rosie, sorry you are feeling bad, get well soon. Hope Bliss feels better too.

I had a great day today, playing with cones, and poles, and small cross rails. I still asked for dressage feel, but did it with cones, patterns and some jumping. I think we all enjoyed the novelty of it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Rosie, I hope you and Bliss are both well again soon. Disappointing after just being reunited!

Chisamba wrote:
Straightforward, do you like the canter warmup? What improves versus lots of walk trot?

I think it depends on the horse, and sometimes on the day. Just to clarify, I do still walk for several minutes, and I might trot a bit as well. With Kyra, the warmup depends on her energy level. If the trot is not very energetic, I'll go to canter because I can get up out of the saddle and ask her to motor around the arena. It seems to get her back loosened up, which is a big plus since she tends more towards tension. After the canter, her trot will be more swinging and energetic. With Maya I would also frequently do a canter warmup because she was lazy, lazy, lazy and it helped to get her towards some semblance of being in front of my leg. I don't know my new mare well enough to be sure yet, but suspect she'll be a trot warmup; she is more apt to stretch on her own in the trot and getting the correct rhythm at the trot is important for her. I think cantering first would just worry her, at least at her current level of greenness.
Keep calm and canter on.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Well crud Mountaineer sorry to hear about Laddie being out for a while, will think lots of smooth recovery thoughts for you two.

My rides this week were all quite nice. Managed to convince her that when I ask for canter I do indeed mean that I want to canter and not that I want grunts of protest about how much effort it is to canter, even to the right. Add some really nice forward trot work to go with that and I'm a happy camper. So we ended this week with a light workout including some brief (and without protest!) canter and a hack to explore some new places which I hope she enjoyed as much as I did. It was a gorgeous day and we had some company, so it was a really nice way to end the week.

Oh, and I am adding some yoga and pilates to my routine. I had gotten into a pretty good routine with it then caught a really awful cold and skipped and then made a habit of that, so back to it now.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:09 am

I'm a bit behind again, but fingers crossed for Laddie's recovery with the stem cells. Also for Kyra's Mum's surgery. And Khall, still hoping Rip will not worsen and be ok.
Rosie B, good to see you back and Bliss looking great. Dresseur, love reading your posts with the pics to help see what you mean.

I'm still chipping away with my little black horse, my instructor has started us on canter zigzags to help our changes. They are tricky and in my small arena I run out of room if I take too long setting up. But it's amazing how easy the flying changes have become now my horse knows what I'm asking. I can too easily remember just how hard it was to get just one, especially the L to R one which was just a handstand. They are still a little bit stiff, but now always clean and when I ask. I've learned more about how to tactfully use the spur, I was always a bit anti spurs thinking that you should be able to get your horse responsive without them, but it's not about that, it's being able to use a touch and get a response exactly when you want it.
I actually took him to a hack show and he did really well! Even though I had no real idea what to do. The judge asked us to do a 'free workout' and I was like WTF is that! So I just asked if I could do the same as the one before and she just goes "ah sure". :D

My other horse is good too, we did a little horse trials and he loves the xc. A bit scary when I thought I couldn't stop him once, but even when he spooks at the jumps, all I have to do is put my leg on and he'll go over. I think he might make an eventer.

Image[url=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Flighty/media/NorseyBungendore9_zps2ogdeanz.jpg.html]

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Lots of lovely progress here! And some hard times. For those of you struggling with lameness, yours or your horses', I feel you.

Kiwi has been off for 2 weeks and will likely be off for another 2. What was originally time off due to vaccinations and teeth and my own work travel has turned into an infection and more time off and more work travel. We'll get back in the saddle in May sometime, I hope.

Best of luck to those still in the game!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Another show report! I showed yesterday in the PSG and the 4th level MFS. The PSG was up first and while I missed out on 60% by 2 percentage points (thanks to an error - I turned left in the walk, rather than right, as well as blown 4 tempis (apparently all we do is 3's) and then perfect 3 tempis that turned into 7 3 tempis rather than 5 because I can't count AND count) I learned A LOT and still managed to eke out a 1st in the open division and 2nd overall. (Scores were low - the judge is tough, but very, very fair. I actually thought my score was generous :lol: )

In the warm up, Gala felt different to me. She felt slow behind, and the connection a bit posed. So, I simply didn't do enough to correct the feel - which meant that the test was also a bit underpowered and flat. Andrea and I talked it over and decided that my gut was correct, that I needed to make sure she was firing behind so she said that I absolutely should have followed my gut and done some piaffe and trot/passage transitions to get her in front of me (as well as trot/halt). So, I rode my butt off in the warmup, got the feeling better and rode my MFS.

Funny thing about the freestyle, I had never ridden the choreo in it's entirety in a regulation sized ring, and I never rode it to music - so I was literally riding this freestyle for the first time! :o :o To complicate matters, the sound system was skipping!! (Not an issue with my disc, it was doing it to all the music). However, actually RODE her and managed 2nd and a 71.9 for my first score towards the silver freestyle bar. I have another show May 6th that I'm hoping to be able to show PSG in (we had only entered the freestyle). So, fingers crossed. In the meantime, I'm learning SO much about riding and showing at the upper levels.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 am

I am happy for you Dresseur! What a wonderful training/learning opportunity for you.

Flight as always, lovely lovely horses and pictures.

Well, just a horrid update on my end unfortunately. Rip is worse and I take him back in 2 weeks pretty much knowing I will have to make the call to euthanize him. I am devastated and just sick. Hard to put into words right now.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:59 am

My heart is breaking for you Khall. Is there anything we can do to help?

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:14 am

Khall,you have all my sympathy. The next two weeks are going to be so difficult. Praying for a miracle.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:48 am

Oh I'm so sorry Khall :( That is such bad news.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:41 pm

I hate that we have to share such sad news, whether it is near the end for our equine friend or a major set-back. But I am also grateful to you all for sharing and supporting one another. Thank you all for sharing the real training/learning journey--beautiful ups, painful downs and all.

And on a simple note, thank you for the Norsey photo, Flight! I am one of his fans across the ocean :-)
Dresseur, that is a darned good Freestyle achievement! I'm really enjoying and learning from your play-by-plays---it is certainly a complex process to learn to compete at the upper levels.
Kiwi, please get better and get your human out of excessive travel soon.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:32 pm

OMG Khall, I am so very sorry about Rip. How heartbreaking. We will all be with you in spirit when the time comes. ((((Khall))))

Dresseur, congratulations on your showing. Having the opportunity to ride such a great horse while you train miro is what makes dressage such a kick to learn.

Ponichiwa, weather here continues to thwart my riding as well, so I'm with you on looking forward to May!

So no progress to report, but no disasters either, so I am blessed. :) Btw, it did snow again this morning, now is raining and blowing. :lol:

khall

Postby khall » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks all, I am reeling to say the least. It is hard to wrap my mind around at this point and I cannot imagine when the day comes how difficult it will be. Rip will be 11 next month, he was born on Derby day the day Barbaro won the Derby. I was the first to lay hands on him. He has been a challenging horse to train especially in our earlier years together but these last few years we have just really jelled and come to such a partnership. I so enjoyed riding the big beast and he had so much knowledge that had been instilled in him over the years. Between him and Mark, they both impacted me as a rider and as a person. I will miss him and his beautiful chestnut face.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I have a photographer coming out Sunday to do some pictures of him and his 2 friends, my filly and his long time pasture buddy Dodger. I also want some of just he and I together if I can quit crying.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm so sorry Khall. I'd been hoping for better news for you. What a horrible disease.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:07 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Rip. Hugs to you Khall.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Sorry Khall! :(

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:30 am

I am so sorry khall. I can't even begin to imagine how painful this is for you. Hugs and prayers through this difficult time.

khall

Postby khall » Mon May 01, 2017 5:10 am

This will be my last post about Rip on the goals threads, but I hope to join the next thread with my filly and Gaila still. I will of course post if and when I have to make that hard call on Rip.

I had a panic attack Friday morning and ended up texting my vet friend at 8 am about Rip. The vet who has been treating Rip had indicated when he scoped him that we would probably have to make the call the next scope because he did not want Rip to get down gasping for breath. That just preyed on my mind scaring me and I was almost to the point of calling it then because it horrified me to think of Rip struggling to breath. My vet friend talked me off the edge yet said we absolutely could go earlier if he ever shows any problems. Of course then I turn him out Friday morning only to have him go busting around because the bugs were driving him and his pasture mates batty and he barely took a deep breath! My filly on the other hand had stirred herself up enough that I had to walk her after a hosing to cool her off and she was puffing like a freight train! AHHH, this is driving me crazy! I don't want to have to make this call, but I will if it is in the best interest of Rip. Yet he still acts his normal self and looks amazing.

Meanwhile on the other horses and their vet issues, Gaila got hauled up as well because she was still having some slight nasal discharge. Scope clean, rads fine, so she is on pred to calm her upper airway down a bit from the sinusitis. Of course when we got home she showed signs of her ulcers returning. NQR but sweet water and some alfalfa made her tummy feel better. I am sure she started back with them (has a history of ulcers) after her stressful stay in the hospital and me having to ration the hay to her (which is what caused them the first time) even though I feed her/them 5 times a day and she is on gastrotech. Sigh, so some alfalfa is going to become normal diet additive for my chunky Gaila. Now I will just have to work her harder to keep the lbs off!!

And my filly has a splint LF that needs looking at. It is not resolving the way I think it should. So she goes back next trip as well. Glad I spent the $3,000 on my truck to get the admissions right, it is staying busy in 2017.

I really would like to stop with my progress being all about vet stuff. I would like to get back to riding again regularly. Just not sure if I am up to it mentally.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Oh Khall, I'm glad Rip is well, ripping around and acting fine. I think he'll let you know when it is time. It might be longer than you thought.

I had a lesson Saturday morning on Kyra, and it was rather humbling. We have improved in some places (W/C transitions, general submission), but needed to take a step back to getting solid LY on a circle to get her more honestly onto the right rein, and also working on lengthenings. We have our homework cut out for us, and will hopefully have some improvement to show at our next lesson in three weeks. Last week I did have a bit of a lightbulb moment with her by playing with a little deeper/rounder frame for warmup. I don't think she was even BTV at all, but she really brought her back up in canter towards the end of the warmup and gave a totally different feeling. I'm also putting poles or cones out each ride to work on more accurate figures. The outdoor arena is large and almost square, so it's easy to just wander all over the place and ride random shapes without much purpose, so I'm trying to improve on that.

Annabelle had bodywork on Friday, and sure enough, she was pretty locked up in her S/I and sore in her ribs, poll and shoulderblade. She is also over developed on her right haunch, so I'm focusing on getting her to use her left hind better. She had Saturday off with some turnout and in-hand work, and then lunged yesterday. She seemed to be moving better already with less of the sewing machine trot, and likes to stretch down in the trot. I'm thinking we'll stick with mostly work on the lunge for the next month or so; right now her balance in canter isn't so good, and it seems hard for her to hold her lead for more than a circle or two. She'll get another round of bodywork on Thursday
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:02 pm

StraightForward wrote:We have improved in some places (W/C transitions, general submission), but needed to take a step back to getting solid LY on a circle to get her more honestly onto the right rein

Something that has worked for my horse, and I have no idea why, is that he needs to lower his neck and probably shift his weight more onto his forehand to be able to shift his weight onto his rf to leg yield out on a circle. I think I probably have video somewhere so maybe someone with a better eye than me can tell me what's happening, and maybe why, but he doesn't need to change his balance to ly out on the circle going to the right, but only to the left. (He has to shift his weight to load the right front enough, which is his club.)

He can't necessarily sustain it, but it does feel like he's really travelling sideways once he does shift his weight so that he's into the outside rein.

So maybe experiement with different postures and see what happens?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 pm

In keeping with setting goals and looking ahead, I renewed my USEF membership, and planned which shows I would like to attend. One in June, one in July and one in September.

I am taking nine horses and clients to a schooling show this weekend, but decided trying to ride myself while coaching was not going to be fair to my clients or my horse. Subsequently one of my adults was sharing her daughter aged Ottb, so I offered the ride on Kimba to her.

It's slated to be raining, which can be a challenge but we are pressing on.

Luck to us!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri May 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Chisamba wrote:In keeping with setting goals and looking ahead, I renewed my USEF membership, and planned which shows I would like to attend. One in June, one in July and one in September.

I am taking nine horses and clients to a schooling show this weekend, but decided trying to ride myself while coaching was not going to be fair to my clients or my horse. Subsequently one of my adults was sharing her daughter aged Ottb, so I offered the ride on Kimba to her.

Luck to us!
I'm glad to hear you will show again. Kimba is a lovely horse and I'll bet you do well. I just looked through this little Dressage Extension pamphlet I got in the mail. Have you seen the price of show clothes recently? :shock: Over $200 for a shirt.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 06, 2017 12:21 am

musical comedy wrote:
Chisamba wrote:In keeping with setting goals and looking ahead, I renewed my USEF membership, and planned which shows I would like to attend. One in June, one in July and one in September.

Luck to us!
I'm glad to hear you will show again. Kimba is a lovely horse and I'll bet you do well. I just looked through this little Dressage Extension pamphlet I got in the mail. Have you seen the price of show clothes recently? :shock: Over $200 for a shirt.

holey moley!! i better lose more weight. I meant to put this in the may june goals, i hope you dont mind if i cut and paste it there, mc

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 08, 2017 8:25 am

That's cool that you are showing Chisamba!! Taking 9 horses/clients to a show would be hectic, was that this weekend gone, or the one coming (it is Monday night for me right now).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 08, 2017 10:10 am

Flight wrote:That's cool that you are showing Chisamba!! Taking 9 horses/clients to a show would be hectic, was that this weekend gone, or the one coming (it is Monday night for me right now).

It's the one past. Done! All success in terms of experience and getting out there. Mixed success in terms of ribbons and tears.

One participant did not deal with her low scores well, and became sulky and mad at her horse. Some kids, used to riding in classes with other horses were surprised at how different the horse becomes in a strange arena with no friends nearby.

We did get 2 championships at two different levels, and various ribbons. About half the scores over 60.

My voice was tired calling all those tests :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am

Glad you got through the day! Sounds very busy dealing with everyone and horses. I couldn't do it :)

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Chisamba wrote:It's the one past. Done! All success in terms of experience and getting out there.

You have amazing self discipline, and apparently, patience, too. :-)

Return to “Dressage Training”