Show report - KPC Easter dressage

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
mari
Herd Member

Show report - KPC Easter dressage

Postby mari » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 am

Hi everyone! I'm still recovering from a ruptured disk in my neck, and while I'm back to riding lightly, sitting trot is a big no-no. And seeing as Odie had just upgraded to Elementary (2nd level) at the beginning of last year, this is an obvious and very annoying problem. So my instructor has the ride for now, with me doing backup work for her during the week.

Two weeks ago she and Odin did their first Elementary together as a pair. They ended up 4th in both classes, with both scores being 65.something%. The classes were big, with some very fancy horses, so I was over the moon with the result.

This weekend was the Easter dressage festival at one of our biggest venues. The big names (well, big in South African terms) were there, with nice horses. Odie was not nearly as cooperative as the last show, but in spite of that they held it together for a respectable 65% in the first class, which netted them a placing. In the second class they got a 63%, and were one out of the placings.

The good:
- The halts are miles and miles better than they were 6 months ago.
- Lateral work, while still not very easy, is pretty solid.
- Simple changes in the last two tests were lovely. Two weeks ago they were lovely at home but very distracted at the show.
- Turns on the haunches and canter lengthenings scored easy 7s, whoop whoop!

The not-so-good:
- There is nearly no medium trot. Not even really a hint of it. Good heavens, this is hard for him and for me. I have pages of tips and exercises and ideas, and so does my instructor. This needs to be a focus point for the rest of this year.
- While the scores for the counter canter work are generally good, he is too heavy and laboured with it for my liking.
- A subtle thing, but he will halt and stand softly on the bit for exactly one nanosecond. Then he clenches his neck and jaw and tugs the reins. So the halt is lovely, and the rein-back is lovely, but the few seconds in between are ugly. So there’s some practice and finesse required there.

Here are some pics. The one where she is saluting just makes me grin every time I look at it.

The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

mari
Herd Member

Re: Show report - KPC Easter dressage

The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

mari
Herd Member

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:07 am

He looks very handsome, he sure us adding muscle.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 am

Lovely photos!!! He's looking great :)

Gwen
Herd Member

Postby Gwen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am

Wonderful photos, and a great show report! My favorite thing about showing is the feeling of "we did it!" followed by "we have so much to do!" - it's so motivating.

Speedy healing!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:17 am

Jip, definitely loads to do! For some of it I've got a plan, for some of it I don't. Have to teach myself and him at the same time, so it's a process :lol:

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:29 am

I just love Odin! Is he getting lighter in the face now that he's getting older?

He looks great, nice muscling, and definite progress. Congrats!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Did Debbie McDonald have to stop riding because of a neck issue? Do you know what it was? I think she is not riding any more but I am not sure.

I wonder if the movement during riding or if there would be a catastrophe if she fell off.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:44 am

DJR wrote:I just love Odin! Is he getting lighter in the face now that he's getting older?

He looks great, nice muscling, and definite progress. Congrats!

He's getting a bit spottier all over every year. But he's always been ridiculously white on his forehead, since I got him at 5. It's just normally hidden by extravagant forelock :D

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:46 am

Tsavo wrote:Did Debbie McDonald have to stop riding because of a neck issue? Do you know what it was? I think she is not riding any more but I am not sure.

I wonder if the movement during riding or if there would be a catastrophe if she fell off.

I have no idea. For me, the movement while sitting (even sitting down for the canter for more than a few strides) is not good at the moment. I also stopped running for now. I'm hoping that my injury stabilises enough towards the end of the year to continue light running and more focused riding.

If it doesn't, I'll have to have a disk replacement.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Yuck. Welcome to my world of neck and lumbar discs. According to my doctor, although I have stenosis and herniated discs, the spinal cord will probably be just the same as a normal spine in event of a bad fall. Apparently there is plenty of room inside the spine to protect the cord. However, the constant movement, will over time, aggravate the injury, but no more than the usual tasks of bending, lifting, twisting, all of which abound around horses.

If it's any help, Mari, I found physical therapy for my neck to be extremely helpful. I had to learn how to do everything all over, even reading, typing and walking. Good posture, keeping the head up and the neck long, was critical. And hard. I was not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds for months. I also bought a new mattress and pillow which helped stabilize things for sleep. But things do heal, and I haven't had any neck pain for few months so have faith. I am sorry.

Your trainer and Odin look wonderful.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Marie, Odie is stunning in those pictures. As a fellow neck sufferer, I wish you speedy healing. Several of my vertebrae have fused over the years, so now I rarely have severe pain nor do I lose strength in my right arm any more, so time does help. I only ever had chiropractic massage to ease my neck pain/dysfunction and did not seek medical attention even when the chiropracter refused to treat me anymore. Fusion was found by neurologist when he was examining me for a potential "mini stroke." He concluded that all those falls riding and skiing had not been good for my neck, but that it didn't really matter now as arthritis had stabilized things quite nicely. Like Kathy, I try to keep my neck long and sit straight at computer or when reading. I make sure the surgery table is at the correct height when I operate too. I hope your neck heals up well for you and that you can ride soon.

Debbie quit because her surgeon was concerned that the next fall could leave her paralyzed.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:08 am

Sue B wrote:Debbie quit because her surgeon was concerned that the next fall could leave her paralyzed.

Why? What was her condition?

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:48 am

Kathy Johnson wrote:Yuck. Welcome to my world of neck and lumbar discs. According to my doctor, although I have stenosis and herniated discs, the spinal cord will probably be just the same as a normal spine in event of a bad fall. Apparently there is plenty of room inside the spine to protect the cord. However, the constant movement, will over time, aggravate the injury, but no more than the usual tasks of bending, lifting, twisting, all of which abound around horses.

If it's any help, Mari, I found physical therapy for my neck to be extremely helpful. I had to learn how to do everything all over, even reading, typing and walking. Good posture, keeping the head up and the neck long, was critical. And hard. I was not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds for months. I also bought a new mattress and pillow which helped stabilize things for sleep. But things do heal, and I haven't had any neck pain for few months so have faith. I am sorry.

Your trainer and Odin look wonderful.

Thanks Kathy!

The physio and I are basically besties now, I see her so often :lol: I've started the whole posture correction trip (new mattress, special pillow, retraining sleeping position, exercises in the bathroom at work, desk adaptations) about 3 years ago. It made (and is still making) a massive difference. I've had these kinds of flare-ups for years, so the neurosurgeon suspects the injury is old, but the fragments of ruptured disk move around periodically, and interfere with my nerves in new and wonderful ways...

Day to day pain at the moment is so much better than a few months ago, so I'm hoping that it will just keep on getting better!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

Odin is looking fantastic!! I love the canter picture especially. Best of luck with your recovery!!

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am

and interfere with my nerves in new and wonderful ways...

LOL, well that's a good attitude. Nerve pain is indeed the strangest thing ever.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Odin is looking great! Those spotted ones can have some wild coat changes over the years.

Debbie M was lawn darted aka sent head first into the ground while riding a young horse. She has not ridden since because of the injuries sustained in the fall.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:48 pm

khall wrote:Debbie M was lawn darted aka sent head first into the ground while riding a young horse. She has not ridden since because of the injuries sustained in the fall.

Has she spoken about the injuries? Do you know the nature of them?

khall

Postby khall » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Tsavo: http://www.dressage-news.com/2011/02/02 ... -accident/

It is my understanding that she injured her neck in the fall. To the point it was not in her best interest to continue to ride.

Return to “Dressage Training”