mirrors- what and where is the minimum you want?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
lorilu
Herd Member

mirrors- what and where is the minimum you want?

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Thinking I should get some mirrors. They are ridiculously expensive as we all know. What is the minimum you would want, and where would you put them?
TIA

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: mirrors- what and where is the minimum you want?

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:37 pm

I have mirrors on two corners and along one side. I think i could mostly manage without the side ones, if the corner ones were a little wider. So what i have is a mirror at the corner on the short side before K and a mirror in after the corner at H and I have two mirrors on either side of E. i think i could manage with one at E, but i do most use the ones a at the ends, so i can see how the shoulder in, shoulder fore, and the last strides of half pass look.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:24 pm

End of the long side (to see straightness) this can be 4' wide, middle of long side (to see horse from the side) at least 4' high and hopefully about 3 sections or so (about 20'). And all slightly tilted in, so you can see the feet of the horse when standing beside it). It is very cool to have an entire short side.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 am

thanks. good ideas and logic.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:35 pm

I now board at a place with mirrors on an extra wide short side (about 30 meters) and it is awesome.

But I have ridden in places set up like Gallop described and it is still very nice. Even one mirror helps!!

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Tue May 09, 2017 1:07 pm

I have mirrors just at the end of the long sides - i purchased them at a second-hand construction supply store. They are only about 2 1/2 feet wide, but are wide enough to see myself and horse coming down the long side. I think they are mirrors that might go on a closet door, they were about $40 each. My husband built a wooden framework and screwed them to that. They need adjusting now and again ( wood warps and wind blows) He can do that by adjusting the tension on the screws.But I have mirrors! :D

Return to “Dressage Training”