Goals and Progress May/June 2017

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
mari
Herd Member

Re: Goals and Progress May/June 2017

Postby mari » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 am

Attempted a gentle jumping lesson last week Tuesday. Odie was ... enthusiastic. To the point where I pulled up, thanked my instructor and excused myself to go and dissolve some Cataflam in red wine and cuddle an ice pack.

So dressage lessons last week and early this morning focused on a squillion transitions, and getting off my hands, and WHOA DAMN YOU! I digress. It was very very constructive, and I feel slightly more competent.

More walk/halt/trot/rb combinations than you can shake a stick at. Also surprising him with a few half-step attempts here and there, not keeping the same gait for more than a quarter of a circle, and throwing in unexpected TOH and surprise 10m circles to the outside of whatever 20m circle I'm on (wow I love these, really focuses the wayward Appaloosa brain).

Moved on to some c/t/c, same principles, with good results. I even did some sitting trot, and my neck held up well. Although, maybe that's the wine and Cataflam combo...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi All, so glad having some great updates! Chisamba fabulous show results!! Great job you and Kimba! Mountaineer yeah for Laddie!!!! I feel for you having to keep up with him jogging, especially after being so sick. I hope he is minding his manners, I know mine would not! Dresseur what a gorgeous facility! Really just jaw dropping. Love that house and I have serious arena envy:) Flight as always you have great pics and such good things going (except I do hope Norsey is ok now). Gwen what a lovely partnership you and Callie have. Yeah for SueB riding! Rosie you know I have always liked Bliss, what a good boy he is. I like your warm up strategy of using the drive way to get him going. I can relate. Mari take care of yourself, I am glad you are able to ride though! Kyra's mom, glad your butt is feeling better! Impernini sounds like some good things are going on with your position work, glad you are feeling better. If I missed any new updates, hope it is going well.

For my update: Rip's scope is still looking great. Took him last week and vet was so pleased. Don't have to take him back for a month now (been going every 2 weeks) unless something changes. Still treating with throat spray now down to 3 times a week. Once I got back from vacation, I was gone 2 1/2 weeks to Spain (riding with a friend) and Italy (with the family) came back to my mom had fallen while we were in Italy. She is 80, her dog pulled her down on concrete onto her right hip. Major pain, but the rads did not show any breaks from the ER and her internist. I had tried (while still in Italy) to get her to go to orthopedist because of the severe pain she was in. My sister did not think so and mom listened to her. Until she kept having pain and finally made appointment with ortho. I went with her last Monday and doctor is worried about crack in the neck of the femur so ordered MRI. We went last Friday for MRI get the results this Thursday. Even if there is no crack (which would require surgery to put in screws) she is still looking at 4-6 weeks of recovery. So please jingle for my mom, she is not used to being so restricted, she is having to use a walker right now.

Between my mom and the weather here (hot humid and buggy) have not gotten much work done with my horses. Hoping to this week with much less humidity which means the damn gnats are not out thank goodness! They have been so bad you cannot even think about working the horses. I also agreed to foster a litter of pups from high kill shelter that were to be euthanized. Been fun to have puppies again, but one (that ended up being different litter and should not have been pulled with the other 5, yes total of 6 originally!) ended up breaking with parvo. Thankfully the others had their first vaccines and so far are ok. Little parvo pup made it though and is with another foster to keep the others healthy. So been busy with other things and not working horses much at all. The pups: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Some things I brought back from Spain with: help with my position, I tend to have an anterior tilt to my pelvis and have my leg too far back. So worked on getting my leg more forward and having neutral pelvis. It was so nice to ride the Andalusians who have such natural balance, you have so much horse up in front of you. From the instructor there, I tend to ride with too long of rein I heard shorten the rein a good bit. They use simple changes at X across the diagonal and on CL in serpentines to help prepare for FCs and then use HI in canter on circle to engage the horse for the changes, also use it for engagement for CPs.

One thing I found interesting was riding trained horses that had not had the focus on the bridle work like what Mark taught. What I felt was those horses showed a definite sidedness in comparison to the horses that I work with and do so much focus on in hand work. We also do a good bit of lateral work on the circle which they did some, just a bit different. Now the gelding I rode felt better in the neck/mouth than the older stallion with higher training. Though the gelding showed definite sidedness which got better as he relaxed more. So I did bring back some very good stuff for me to focus on: my position, working simple changes with particular emphasis, asking HI in canter (which I had just started doing before I left) being more particular and precise in my riding.

I hope all continue with their successes and jingles for any who need them. Stay cool!!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:10 am

I rode today :!: :mrgreen: . Probably a little premature but it didn't kill me. My ride was the sum total of 5 minutes but I just had to try 8-) . It was all in walk. I am definitely not ready for trot or canter work yet but the walking felt good and actually it felt better at the end (haha) than the beginning. I had to borrow my friend's saddle which I really don't like so will be anxious to get my saddle cleaned up and back out to the barn.

After a couple laps on a long rein, I picked up the reins and did some LY, TOF, TOH and some shoulder-in. It was pretty warm today so energy was a bit lacking but It was more an exploration of what my butt could tolerate. She was pretty soft in the contact which is good for her. Right now I am going to be sparse with my riding...probably once a week. I would like to get her over to our trotting track and get some miles in but I am erring on the side not much for now. I am only 9 weeks out from surgery so slow it will be. Every since last week, I have been having pretty steady positive progress on the residual butt tenderness so am increasingly optimistic.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:04 am

Yay Susan!!!! You just made my day! So pleased for you! That's quicker than you expected, isn't it?

Laddie is being a bit wayward... but feeling like a million dollars (we'll say that instead of bucks, shall we?) I suspect I will be allowed to get on him after the next stem cell treatment. Won't that be fun?

Walker is a bit suprised at being asked to actually work now I am feeling a bit more human. I'm a bit shocked by how much top line the dear old boy has lost so we've had a radical diet overhaul, and we've developed a 25 minute circuit through the sagebrush (and sage grouse--we accidentally walked into the middle of a lek yesterday so have to adjust course a bit in future...) that has a lot of up and down hill walking and some uphill trotting, which, we are using for some conditioning work before we do anything else.

So, some progress, if not much dressage :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Woohoo Susan! Glad you were able to get back in the saddle. Now it's time to order that Vinici to celebrate ;)

Mountaineer, glad to hear Laddie is on the mend.

Khall, how amazing that Rip's condition is continuing to improve; so happy for you!

I posted my update on Annabelle in a separate thread. She is starting to come along nicely. I'm shooting for 3 days a week riding and 1 day a week of ground work. I'd like to be riding more, but she's weak and seems to avoid soreness with not riding on consecutive days. Hoping to increase her work in another month or so. If my new girth ever gets here, we'll start working in a CC saddle and playing with some tiny cross rails once a week to add some variety and gymnastic training.

This Friday I'll get out to see Pickle and hopefully see her under a rider for the first time since the accident (she's been getting ridden, it just hasn't worked out on days I've been able to visit). Last time she was a little keyed up with windy weather, but tolerating a white tarp up and over her much better, so it's been good to see the progress.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Congratulations Susan, you must be thrilled even if it was only 5 mins. :D :D

Khall, your trip sounds absolutely wonderful. I wish I would have thought of it when my mom offered me a trip to Europe for my 50th. She would've enjoyed hanging out too. I am thrilled that Rip is still doing well, especially after that scare earlier.

SF, I am still planning to see you and Pickle on Friday.

I was struck down by a combination of a vicious migraine that lasted 4 days, being crazy busy at work, and coaching for my son and his friend at the Idaho 4H State Rifle competition. By Sunday, I was exhausted, still in migraine hell AND it was HOT, nonetheless, I managed to get both horses ridden. I even rode Tio out in the hay field at the walk with no drama. By then I was getting so weak and dizzy, I decided trotting or cantering would be unwise, but he was a very, very good boy. No riding yesterday...too much work and 4H. Oh, btw, son and friend wound up 4th and 2nd overall respectively, and will be going to Nebraska next year to represent Idaho in the national competition. 8-)

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Tough way to end June. Yesterday I had to put down Bucky, my first-and-only GP horse, due to a freak pasture accident. I'm brokenhearted.

I will always miss this view:

You were a great guy, Bucky.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Oh no, Ponichiwa, I am so sorry. :(. RIP, Bucky.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Very, very sad news, Ponichiwa. We're all thinking of you. Godspeed Bucky.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:27 pm

sad news. so sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:45 pm

How horrible. I'm so sorry.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Nooooooooo! How devastating Ponichiwa, I am so very sorry.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:24 pm

oh dear! I'm so sorry!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:38 pm

I am so sorry Ponichiwa! Gosh they can just tear holes in our heart when they leave us.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 am

I am so very sorry.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 am

Grand Prix horses are awesome. Your boy was in a special class of horses. Hugs Ponichiwa.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:12 am

I'm so sorry, Ponichiwa, that is heartbreaking, indeed.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:26 am

Ponichiwa...my condolences.

Godspeed Bucky.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 am

My condolences too. RIP Bucky and kia kaha Ponichiwa.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am

So sorry Ponichiwa :( :(

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:20 pm

I am so very sorry ponichiwa. I always enjoyed reading your stories about him on the old UDBB. ((((((Hugs))))))

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks, everyone. Bucky and I kind of "grew up" with the old UDBB. I've appreciated having that (and this) resource.

It's hard saying goodbye.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:51 pm

So sorry for your loss Ponichiwa

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Hill work today, to enjoy the outdoors before the thunderstorms. I like how downhill works the three joints hind end .Image

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:45 am

I am still sad for Ponichiwa, but wanted to post an end of June update.

Focussing on gait quality and transitions has been very rewarding. I have a much better sense now of the canter I need for changes and pirouettes (it was a bit hit or miss before). I am also loving the uptick in quality in transitions of all kinds. Plus, I am sold on just plain old walking for 10-15 minutes before work (including lateral work at walk) of any kind. This is easy to do in summer with a short hack. Emi really responds to that time and steps it up dramatically after she has had it.

Overall, I'm just so grateful to have this 15 yr old mare who keep improving!! So pleased with my dear girl. :D :D :D :D

p.s. I'll post notes from a JJ Tate clinic next week.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:48 pm

Nice picture, Chisamba. I too like hill work, especially transitions like w-h-w.

Piedmont, can't wait to hear about the JJ Tate clinic. Also, during our walk warm up (towards the end) I start doing w-h-w transition, sometimes throwing in a couple steps of backing. That seems to really help me make sure that Rudy is in front of my leg and not "faking" it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Sue- yes, I agree on the rein back- I do just one step, so the balance stays up in the shoulder. If they take 2 steps then they can have a better chance of falling onto the forehand. I do "just think of rein back"-raise the shoulder- to trot. It's excellent for engagement.
when I want to practice straightness I rein back and see if I can stop with a particular leg weighted. I also vary the # steps. I have found it very informative to see if my horse remains elevated or wants to fall apart and throw weight on the forehand. Also what hip swings out? does my horse stay under my seatbones equally?

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:37 pm

So I made some definite progress these past two months. Here were my goals:

Goals for May/June:
* ride at least three times a week
* do hillwork at least four times
* learn to sit the new big trot
* learn to ride him in the new big trot with the new uphill balance without letting him curl
* be disciplined about schooling the lateral work. Ride him forward and OUT if he starts to get stuck or loses rhythm.

Other than the initial 3 weeks when Bliss was off with an abscess, I rode on average 4x a week. We got out on the trail twice, and did hillwork at least 10x once I started incorporating it in my warmup. I had at least 3 rides that were exclusively hillwork.

I have made big progress with the sitting trot too... Part of the problem was I was chasing him around with loopy reins and not enough contact and no real connection. The clinic in May opened my eyes to that. Once I started addressing the connection issues, the sitting trot started to come much better. I can't sit for more than a few minutes at a time yet, but it's getting better every week.

He is still curling occasionally - but that's going to be something we will have to work on to some degree his entire riding career I think. He's very long and slinky through the neck and it's going to take a long time to develop the strength to have him stay where I need him. At the start of these two months, I was sacrificing connection to avoid curling. That wasn't going to get us anywhere, so now I am focusing on connection and the curling is improving as well.

The lateral work has also improved hugely. LYs feel fluid and forward and SIs are getting easier but still not show ready. I am avoiding Tr, Rv, and HP at present because I don't think they will help much until the SI is more established.

Return to “Dressage Training”