Goals and Progress May/June 2017

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Goals and Progress May/June 2017

Postby demi » Sat May 20, 2017 3:00 pm

demi wrote:... I think I have the key to a consistent rein contact. I will give it another month and then reevaluate...

It will be two weeks since I wrote this and the contact is still really nice. I should add that a "really nice" contact here is relative to what we had a year ago. There is still lots of room to improve but I am still just very pleased with what we have now. I rode yesterday in 35 mph winds and she didn't even come close to spooking. The improved rein contact and the steady way she has been going is very satisfying for both of us. Emma seems so content after our rides.

Most of the ride yesterday was at posting trot, with a little sitting trot here and there. This is a nice improvement from the mostly walk work with a little trotting that we were doing a month or so ago.

So I plan to continue this same program for a couple of weeks more and see what that brings.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat May 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun May 21, 2017 1:35 am

I had my first dressage lesson in almost 2 years today. It was fantastic. I will post more about it after tomorrow, but here are a few pics from my lesson today. Bliss was a very good boy. :)
Attachments
warmup trot9.jpg
warmup trot9.jpg (136.43 KiB) Viewed 22984 times
warmup trot8.jpg
warmup trot8.jpg (150.03 KiB) Viewed 22984 times
warmup trot.jpg
warmup trot.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 22984 times

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun May 21, 2017 1:51 am

Rosie B- beautiful pics! Your guy looks so attentive in his expression.

Ryeissa - my guy is similar as you described and I never let my guard down either. When we are in work mode I have a continual dialog going - he makes me ride! No day dreaming or cruising in La La land. :) This is a good thing because I am now always aware what I'm doing with my posture, seat, legs and hands. I have to ride him correctly to get results.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 21, 2017 3:20 am

Rosie, I agree, you both look mighty fine. Glad there us no lingering effects from the abscess.

I love that there is sufficient sense of camaraderie, as MC put it, that we feel free to share, despite our differences, our viewpoint, and how complicated it is to express our thoughts, I enjoy seeing the striving for progress and the real actual progression of people riding their horses and discussing real things, not airy ideals and theory. (hey I do like a meaty theoretical discussion, but there us so much more usable information in practice)

So, I enjoyed Rye's snippet of lateral work, the show ring images of flight and dresseur, the lovely article of Gwen's ride, I enjoy hearing of Emma's security in contact, Rips return to health, and SueB's and CB's horses "reaction" to stimulus.

Seeing the show rides inspired me to put in my show entry.

Listening to advice helped me seriously evaluate Deneb for pain. I found none but it was good to check.

I find much to help me in my progress riding Kimba. MC's no holds barred comments are a good reminder of real life dressage.

I have missed some, but thank you a for your participation.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:12 am

I had an interesting experience yesterday when I was riding. I've been trying to let go of my need to straighten my horse more, and yesterday I made a much bigger effort and caught myself when I tried to reverse and get back to tracking left (so that I could work on bending left again). Usually I don't catch myself until after I've worked on bending left for awhile, but yesterday I did a lot better so spent a lot more time going to the right. And because going right is so much easier I remembered to work on my own posture more, so got into lifting my chest more and more, which felt so good I just wanted to do even more of it.

The sensation that lifting my chest gave me was that I was standing up so tall that I was looming up over my horse, which of course probably isn't even visible on video, but since I usually slump in the saddle it felt very different to me, and may have changed my balance quite a bit. But Sting understands his new orders now (more go, less holding back), and he was going right for most of it so it was easier for him too, so we had a good ride.

Now I can't wait to get back in the saddle to practice better posture until it becomes habit, because that would be a very good habit to develop.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun May 21, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks Josette and Chisamba!

This is a clinic that I have been looking forward to for the past 6 months so I was exceptionally glad and thankful that we made it there.

My in laws were going to look after my kids for me while I was at the clinic, but they bailed on me, so I ended up having to bring the kids along. Trailer loading and unloading with a baby on my back and a very clingy three year old in tow was interesting but everything went perfectly smoothly. And thank god for my wonderful sister who yesterday took the kids for a couple hours so I could ride. And she is doing the same again today. I am incredibly fortunate.

The clinician was very direct and told us we have a pretty big hole in our basics, which I've known about for a long time but have been struggling to fix without the help of a competent dressage trainer. Bliss is long and slinky and can fake the connection in a whole variety of ways while holding his back and stalling with his hind legs out behind him.

So she put us right to work in circles spiralling in and leg yielding out. She also got after me to keep a steadier contact on the outside in particular. She had me half halting at every tangent point to help keep the hind legs under, and when I felt him reach into the outside rein, to soften slightly and allow the neck to get a little longer without throwing him away.

We did the same in trot and canter. The connection improved and we had some nice moments, but it's going to take a while to fix. Looking forward to my lesson today.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun May 21, 2017 12:01 pm

kande50 - your posture correction was like my experience too. After years as a desk jockey I was prone to rounded shoulders and some how when I sat up straight I felt stiff/tight in my lower back. So I started watching position videos and my instructor's rides focusing on posture and how the "correct" rider used their body and hand position. I started from the top at my head and "stacked my spine" like a tree (I am crooked in my hips), then focused on getting myself straight and centered. I draped and aligned my hip, leg and heel position without tightening myself any where to hold this position. I constantly self check to maintain until it became automatic - undoing all my bad habits. Suddenly the sitting trot was easy and automatic reaction of my body to respond to the movement. The best yet was my pony responded and we have made significant progress. Also, if he were to do a big spook I am "plugged in". So far (knock on head) he has not dumped me. Riding in correct posture is like physical therapy for me because after my rides I am comfortable in my body. Enjoy your rides!

RosieB - I would never have guessed from the above photos. This sounds like a major break through in your training - I love when that happens! Good luck with your lesson. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Rosie B wrote:Thanks Josette and Chisamba!

This is a clinic that I have been looking forward to for the past 6 months so I was exceptionally glad and thankful that we made it there.

My in laws were going to look after my kids for me while I was at the clinic, but they bailed on me, so I ended up having to bring the kids along. Trailer loading and unloading with a baby on my back and a very clingy three year old in tow was interesting but everything went perfectly smoothly. And thank god for my wonderful sister who yesterday took the kids for a couple hours so I could ride. And she is doing the same again today. I am incredibly fortunate.

The clinician was very direct and told us we have a pretty big hole in our basics, which I've known about for a long time but have been struggling to fix without the help of a competent dressage trainer. Bliss is long and slinky and can fake the connection in a whole variety of ways while holding his back and stalling with his hind legs out behind him.

So she put us right to work in circles spiralling in and leg yielding out. She also got after me to keep a steadier contact on the outside in particular. She had me half halting at every tangent point to help keep the hind legs under, and when I felt him reach into the outside rein, to soften slightly and allow the neck to get a little longer without throwing him away.

We did the same in trot and canter. The connection improved and we had some nice moments, but it's going to take a while to fix. Looking forward to my lesson today.

I had an interesting discussion with a friend the other day about riding a variety of different horses. ( i have very different breeds and horses in my barn) and the claim that going to a clinic ( i am going to ride with an SRS rider) with some one who only rides one type of horse is not productive for me.

( sorry long story to get to a small point)

anyway, I said even horses of the same breed are individuals, so every horse is different and one must be adjustable as a rider to the differences in horses. However, it does not matter what kind of horse you ride, an OTTB, a slinky athlete with a huge trot, or a chubby quarter horse with a small stride, a hot horse or a lazy horse, no matter what you are riding, riding a correctly shaped circle, and doing an exercise correctly, will benefit each of them more than riding a poor circle and carrying out an exercise incorrectly. Therefore riding with the SRS rider will both benefit me and every horse i ride, as well as my clients.

So, RosieB, riding accurate circles, with well placed half halts, with the aid of a clinician has been beneficial to the fundamentals of your horse. Yay!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 21, 2017 3:54 pm

We had rather a step back with Deneb yesterday. There were jumps up in the ring for a jump lesson and she was terrified. She even stopped and reared, rearing being something she has not really done. clearly, very clearly, as i have jumped her, she thought the mirror was a jump, and when I asked her to ride past jumps in the ring, she thought it was going to be something crazy. I rode her past each jump and after ten minutes or so she was able to relax, reach into the contact, and just maintain an nice composed steady relaxed tempo. at the very end of my ride i offered her a cross rail and she took it without fear.

Meanwhile we removed the broken mirror, and sticking into the wood behind the mirror, right where i hit it, was a knife of glass driven two inches into the wood. like a stab. it was shocking. so lucky the glass broke into the wall and not into Deneb or me.

Meanwhile having to goal of going to a clinic and a show, i have put a bit of pressure on Kimba and myself. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient because there really is no need to overwhelm both of us with the need for perfection. However, I have been, as RosieB mentioned above, really making sure the fundamentals are in place and this focus has helped our other work considerably, most particularly the canter walk and walk canter transitions. Interesting how something as simple as a trot circle with correct connection in each rein straightens canter transitions.

what keeps riding so interesting is that it is always about learning something, even if it is something you thought you knew. ( the you being the everyone you)

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon May 22, 2017 8:59 am

Chisamba wrote:anyway, I said even horses of the same breed are individuals, so every horse is different and one must be adjustable as a rider to the differences in horses. However, it does not matter what kind of horse you ride, an OTTB, a slinky athlete with a huge trot, or a chubby quarter horse with a small stride, a hot horse or a lazy horse, no matter what you are riding, riding a correctly shaped circle, and doing an exercise correctly, will benefit each of them more than riding a poor circle and carrying out an exercise incorrectly. Therefore riding with the SRS rider will both benefit me and every horse i ride, as well as my clients.

The correctly shaped circle was the subject of my dressage lesson this morning :D . Where are my hips, where are my shoulders? Don't pull on the inside rein! Bump bump with your inside leg! But it was great, absolutely loved it.

Odin is the slinkiest horse I have *ever* ridden. Every other horse I have ever sat on could be mostly relied on to follow where their nose is pointing. Him, not so much. At every stride, there is an enormous possibility that some part of him will veer off course. So working on that absolute 20m circle shape was really challenging. We had to nail it in w/t/c, all 4 quadrants exactly the same. Doing that over and over and over again, perfectly, is so difficult. But we managed! Now I just need about 12 000 more repetitions :lol:
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon May 22, 2017 9:35 am

Chisamba - that is sobering for sure. So so so so glad that piece of glass ended up in the wood instead of in you guys!!!

I'm right there with you mari! We mostly stayed on the circle in my lesson yesterday, in shoulder fore, doing transitions. It was wonderful. :D The connection improved 100% and Bliss felt fabulous. We had some nice work that was much more correct and consistent than I think we have ever had. Sign us up for 12,000 repetitions too. lol.

My position was a bit all over the place though... I'm collapsed through the chest and was forgetting where my legs were at times. But hey at least I'm looking up!

Video:
https://youtu.be/3hpkY16BgMc

Points to anyone who recognizes the music... I have NO idea what it is but I saw it on a video posted by everyone's favourite internet dressage troll and I "borrowed" it.

And a few more pics.
Attachments
day2_trot2.jpg
day2_trot2.jpg (186.63 KiB) Viewed 22895 times
day2_trot.jpg
day2_trot.jpg (227.69 KiB) Viewed 22895 times
day2_canter5.jpg
day2_canter5.jpg (97.26 KiB) Viewed 22895 times

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:45 am

Chisamba wrote:anyway, I said even horses of the same breed are individuals, so every horse is different and one must be adjustable as a rider to the differences in horses. However, it does not matter what kind of horse you ride, an OTTB, a slinky athlete with a huge trot, or a chubby quarter horse with a small stride, a hot horse or a lazy horse, no matter what you are riding, riding a correctly shaped circle, and doing an exercise correctly, will benefit each of them more than riding a poor circle and carrying out an exercise incorrectly. Therefore riding with the SRS rider will both benefit me and every horse i ride, as well as my clients.

I too, think that any training skill we learn, whether we learn it on a donkey or an uber fancy horse, will be much easier to adapt to the next horse than it would be to have to learn that skill from scratch.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:51 am

mari wrote:So working on that absolute 20m circle shape was really challenging. We had to nail it in w/t/c, all 4 quadrants exactly the same. Doing that over and over and over again, perfectly, is so difficult. But we managed! Now I just need about 12 000 more repetitions :lol:

I think one of the big advantages to getting as much as we can sorted out on the 20 meter circle (and straight lines) is that it saves us from having to get it sorted out later on figures, or in ways, that are much harder on the horses. So the better we are at finding ways to train concepts without risking the horses' health and welfare, the better our chances of ending up with sound horses.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Dresseur wrote: So, to some degree, it's not about the resources you have, it's what you are willing to do to create inroads to resources, and then it's a bit of luck.

A bit of luck for sure, but time is a resource too, so if someone doesn't have piles of money to make the journey easier then time can be a good substitute, because it can be bartered for opportunities.

I think sometimes those who are frustrated with their lack of funds will look at the dressage queens and think to themselves, "if had that kind of money I could be riding GP in no time"--while at the same time the dressage queens are thinking to themselves, "if I still had that kind of energy and athletic ability (along with the time and money I have now) I could be riding GP in no time". :-)

There are a lot of difficult decisions to be made along the journey, and some are able to make the ones that will keep them headed toward their original goals, while others will change their goals to accommodate other goals (like staying married, or something like that).

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 22, 2017 5:05 pm

I had a little lesson on Walker on Saturday. He was super. I really think that the mystery lameness issues that finally caused me to throw in the towel 2 1/2 years ago have largely resolved with time off (I'm treating him like a glass ornament because I want it to stay that way). The trot was just lovely, really forward and lots of overstep. The canter was vastly improved from the previous weekend. Still a back killer and it's not going to win any medals, but at least my trainer felt that it wasn't hopeless.

Took him out up the mountain yesterday. He decided at one point that he really would rather not, and thought threatening to back over the edge of the road with a long drop would intimidate me into letting him turn around and go back to his buddies. Well, yeah... no. You can move your hiney round and then back up as far as you like and then quite a bit further!

One of my neighbors, who is a member of the Walker ("Oh he's so pretty, can I take a picture, can he have a carrot/bran muffin/bagel/whatever crap I happen to have in the car?") fan club, was a little surprised to come across me having the "How long have we known each other? How many times have you gotten away with stupid crap like this? Like, never? Why would you even bother to try any longer?" conversation in the middle of the road.

Appaloosas. I tell you. They are a breed apart.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon May 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Appaloosas. I tell you. They are a breed apart.

Haha so funny and so true. I had my lesson on Friday with the new instructor and she said she hates to stereotype by breed but she finds with Appaloosas they do as much as they want to and no more so my job is to convince Paloma that she wants to work

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 22, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm exceedingly frustrated with me. M took 4 video of me today. One on Kimba, Deneb, Faramir and Mama. On three, decent bend in elbow and straight line to bit. On Kimba, freaking high hands. It's tear worthy.

Now I need to sleep before night shift.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Chisamba wrote:I'm exceedingly frustrated with me. M took 4 video of me today. One on Kimba, Deneb, Faramir and Mama. On three, decent bend in elbow and straight line to bit. On Kimba, freaking high hands. It's tear worthy.

Three out of four doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

My guess is that it's all going to look a lot better after some sleep.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Set back today. I've had several hours to think about it. After a hot bath and 2 alleve, DH took me out to dinner so I wouldn't have to cook or clean and I had a light meal with two beers. I am a lightweight drinker so the beers really relaxed me. I think I know what happened, and have a sketchy idea of how to go forward, but welcome any suggestions or thoughts on the matter from anyone who has followed my progress with this horse.

We've had 4.5 inches of rain in the last two days and the weather went quickly from hot, sunny and humid, to dark skies and relatively chilly. Emma had Saturday and Sunday off, and only a few hours turnout yesterday. I had hand raked the arena and was really looking forward to our ride today. She was calm and forward for the warm-up walk on a long rein. Confident that she was relaxed, I took a shorter rein, the length that I had previously worked out, and we trotted. Good forward into the contact, posting. full arena, and 20m circles. She felt so nice for 10 to 15 minutes. Very steady in the rhythm and connection.So I asked for a little more connection and a little bigger trot. She gave me some nice work and then after half of a really lovely 20m circle she started bucking. I counted the bucks. six. The reins were too long for me to pull her up and by the third or fourth buck I was loosing my seat. When I knew I was coming off, to the left, I leaned forward on her neck and hooked my right arm over her neck to lessen the impact. I was able to get up quickly, but not sure of the damage, I didn't get back on. I put her in our regular lungeing equipment and lunged her for a short trot and then into canter. I knew she would buck at canter but I was mad enough at her that I just let her rip and said "this is your fault!" Normally I wouldn't let her get going in the buck but would tell her NO! NO! and bring her quickly into a small enough circle that she'd quit bucking. Today I let her buck till she quit on her own. Both directions.

I put her up and went in the house to tell DH what happened and that I was going to quit riding. He said I was jumping to conclusions.

three and a half years ago (Jan 21, 2014 a date I won't soon forget) I got bucked off my neighbor's spoiled mare. She was much more violent in her bucking and after several bucks, I was thrown to the ground on my left side, breaking 8 ribs in multiple places, my collar bone, my shoulder blade, and tore up and collapsed my left lung. I was conscious till DH and the dogs found me but passed out as soon as i saw him. My whole front was covered with blood and lung tissue that was coming out my nose and mouth. I was 60 years old at the time an I mention this because maybe I really should just quit riding...

I know that no matter what, I won't sell her. She has been through too much and this was really not her fault, in spite of what I told her in the heat of the moment. We can easily keep her as a pasture puff. But I don't think I am ready to quit with her, on the other hand, maybe I am just too old.

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 23, 2017 12:12 am

I'm sorry for your accident demi, that is rough that she bucked in the trot. I have to agree sometimes it is just not worth it to continue. My friend is facing selling her mare right now do to similar instance (big spook, canter off and buck, could not stop her).

Take some time and really evaluate how you feel. Maybe lunge for awhile.

Heal fast!!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue May 23, 2017 12:46 am

demi wrote:I put her up and went in the house to tell DH what happened and that I was going to quit riding.
Do you know how many times I and others have BTDT?

We can easily keep her as a pasture puff. But I don't think I am ready to quit with her, on the other hand, maybe I am just too old.
Maybe then move over to the old lady forum with me :D. Really Demi, only you can make a decision on whether keep on with this horse. We can listen to the vents and commiserate because most of us have had similar experiences. All I would say is do not continue on with a horse just because not doing so makes you feel like a failure. (Beer and Aleve-Perfect together)

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 23, 2017 3:11 am

MC,I may just move on over to the old lady forum even if i keep riding her. We need some more activity over there 8-)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 23, 2017 4:45 am

Demi, if Deneb were my only horse I think by now I would have given up. However, I gain confidence and positive input and increased riding ability from my other mounts, which carries over to more chutzpah.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 am

demi wrote:I know that no matter what, I won't sell her. She has been through too much and this was really not her fault, in spite of what I told her in the heat of the moment. We can easily keep her as a pasture puff. But I don't think I am ready to quit with her, on the other hand, maybe I am just too old.

That sucks, and the fact that it was after 15 minutes of good work is puzzling. Do you have any theories as to what set her off?

I wonder if perhaps this is the reason that she was for sale for less than what she should have been worth given her claimed level of training?

I probably wouldn't be willing to get on her again, but might find a use for her as a lungeing or long lining horse for further developing my skills, since that may be all I want, or am able to do in the future.

Sorry to hear about this set back when you were progressing so well.
Last edited by kande50 on Tue May 23, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue May 23, 2017 11:22 am

I'm so sorry to hear this incident and very glad you were not injured. I would have reacted the same as you putting her on the lunge line. I will start my comments by saying I'm not a trainer and being a backyard owner/rider I have learned the hard way. So, when I feel unsure about getting on my horse - I ALWAYS lunge first before getting on. Many trainers want complete obedience on the lunge line - meaning no bucking, etc. but I feel sometimes if the horse needs to get a buck out - do it on the lunge. When the rider is up - no crap is allowed. I feel the lunge may be needed after some days off or being kept in for bad weather, etc. or maybe horse was giving me stink eye on the crossties and seemed unsettled by the mounting block. If the horse goes well on the lunge I would expect cooperation during the ride - if horse is full of it - then it will be a longer lunge session and may even skip the ride.
Safety is always my first priority and I have been bucked off in the past too. I'm cautious now. Feel better. I've always owned geldings so maybe a mare person might comment about cycles or those issues. I understand mares can be much more sensitive during certain times that may have contributed to this reaction.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 23, 2017 1:51 pm

I appreciate the comments on my set back with Emma. I am going to take MC's invitation and move over to the Senior riders forum. My hearts wants to keep up with the training forum, especially the goals/progress thread, but my body is not able. I CAN still ride, though. I need to be just like a little old person that takes lots of short, little steps.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue May 23, 2017 2:33 pm

I hear you and totally understand. I was bucked off when I was younger (in my 40's). Now at 60 I take my safety very seriously.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Not 60 yet, but closing in on it rapidly! Demi, I think the lesson you take away from this is that you need to do your in-hand work +/- lunging before you ride (if you ride) especially when she's had days off and especially in the spring. There are many times now that I am tempted to hop on Tio (the young green-bean) without lunging first because he looks so mellow and happy at the tie rail, BUT Mr. mellow can turn into a bucking machine in the blink of an eye some days. So I dutifully keep to my plan (made that first day I finally climbed on his back) and work him from the ground before riding. This gives me the opportunity to really assess where his brain is on any given day and thus, what my training plan should be for that day. It also gives him the time he needs to sort all his body parts out. :lol:

Btw, you don't have to be "old" to want to give up this riding stuff. I was 38 when Scotty broke my hip, and while he never launched me again, it was probably 10 years before he gave up the periodic broncing. Lad was in some ways worse because he could swap ends mid-canter with absolutely no warning. On different occasions, I ruptured a disc in my back, dislocated a finger and tore a hamstring due to his shenanigans. I don't know how many times DH listened to me declare I was DONE with these "project" horses. They are both dead now and before they died, both became absolute joys to ride in the arena and out, and as some might remember, Scotty even taught my ds to ride.When Lad died, DH let me get another horse under the stipulation that it be either a clean slate (like my beloved Rudy) or a well-trained, no drama one. Naturally, I went with clean slate and bought Tio as a coming 2yr old. Maybe not the wisest move for a 50+ lady who insists on backing her own horses, but he is turning into the "older lady" horse I planned he'd be. Who knows why Emi did what she did, but don't beat yourself up no matter what your decision is.

"See" you in the senior rider's forum!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Demi, I'm bummed for you but am grateful that you were not (seriously) injured. Horse training and especially re-training is not a simple activity. I like Sue's advice to consider having a routine plan that you do, no matter what. Do keep us posted (and as a semi-lame nearly 50 year old, I may be in the senior forum soon, too!).

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 23, 2017 4:16 pm

I have to say that is why I pretty much always work the horses in hand even if I do not lunge. WIH gives you a barometer of the horse see where they are at that day. You can push some buttons and see what happens and determine if it is go ahead and get on or lunge line out and may or may not get on.

Josette I don't know if I would consider myself a "trainer" per se but I do work with other people's horses and teach a bit. Yet I do not 100% believe in the horse's complete obedience on the lunge line. Would not work with Rip!! There are times even now at 11 when he has to be able to let off steam on line. It is for my safety and for his mental well being. I rode with Jillian Kreinbring first of March with the big beast, the first lesson was mostly just lunging a little in hand work because he was full of beans that day. Jillian was a bit amazed at his shenanigans asking if he did this stuff US. Of course I said I know better than to get on him when he is this full of himself! Early on Mark tried to school Rip so that he would quit the airs and leaps that he will sometimes do on line, Mark pretty much gave up and I never felt like it was the right path for him. It is just Rip showing off, part of his charm, it is all out there for all to see. Rip has taught me so much about working with the horse rather than against them. Like SueB previous mounts, he is now to the point for the most part he is a joy to ride. Jillian complimented him at that clinic saying how honest of a horse he was. I just about fell off laughing! It is testament to the work I learned from Mark that Rip is not an outlaw and I actually was able to get him to the point I have, LOL!

Leave Friday for Spain!! Trying to get everything done to be ready to go. One more vet trip tomorrow with Rip. We are having several days of rain now. So glad the hay got put up last week. Was hoping to work some horses before I left, probably won't get much done though.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue May 23, 2017 7:44 pm

I must honestly admit that the horses I've owned over the years were marshmallows compared to what you all have owned and started. So far, I have been fortunate never to have been seriously injured - but I do not want to jinx myself now. :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed May 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 25, 2017 12:05 am

So, I have never felt like Kimba really liked her bit, however, I kind of thought it was more about how well i introduce her to the contact, and that if i had her accepting the bit well, almost any snaffle should work. However today i took out my bit library, and rode her in four different bits. At the end of it, i decided it was time to go back to fundamentals, again, and ride her more nose out but into even contact through changes of direction and shallow turns, like she was a baby, for warm up,

then i went on to warm up through the levels, as it were, but each time i was not happy with the contact in the left rein, i went back to a bit of shallow serpentine up and out.

My reasoning for this was to evaluate why i am riding her hands high, when i do not seem to have that problem on my other four legged children.

I feel like i was able to get a better softer jaw, and more even contact by doing this, so I shall focus on this for the week up to my clinic, and hope that it gives me a good preparation for some insight from Christian Bachinger.

Deneb has relaxed a little bit, and is back to working with more focus and less angst.

happy riding everyone.

Ryeissa, congratulations on leaving the slump behind!

Khall, have a lovely time in Spain, and may Rips vet visit go very well,

Josette, hooray for marshmallows.

Demi i am going to follow you over to the senior forum to keep track of how you are doing

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 25, 2017 12:29 am

Awww thanks, Chisamba! As you can see I'm back here keeping up with everyone's journeys. I hope you really enjoy the Christian Bachinger clinic. I know you'll do well and I look forward to the report.

Gwen
Herd Member

Postby Gwen » Thu May 25, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm so far behind on this thread - demi, I'm so sorry to hear about the bucking incident, that is not fun at all. I'm glad you weren't badly hurt. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go in from here.

Rosie I love seeing Bliss!!! He is so spectacular, and I'm so glad you guys are back to work, I looks forward to hearing/seeing more!

Khall have the BEST time, bring back photos and stories galore - I can't wait to hear about it!!

Chisamba, interesting thoughts on Kimba's contact, I'm going to try the shallow serpentine idea to even out contact next ride, Callie also tends to go empty in the left. I'm looking forward to hearing about your clinic!

I know I'm forgetting other posts I wanted to respond to also, my short term memory is terrible...

Had what I hope is a big step forward in our jump lesson on Tuesday, where, based on my recent clinic experience, I acknowledged that I routinely completely abdicate responsibility for tempo in all three gaits. So I spent the warmup counting, planning out the tempo within the gait, and in the next gait before a transition as well. I had NO idea how wildly Callie's tempo changes especially in the walk - long rein walk and working walk were SO off! And it was hard work in my core to create that tempo in the walk, in some ways harder than in trot and canter. So spent time in walk circles, big big turns on haunches, and alternating long rein/short rein concentrating every step. I have some very ADD tendencies so that level of concentration was very challenging.

When we went to the track to warm up, I started with a relatively conservative tempo at canter, and my trainer had me increase the tempo with each round, and it was awesome to feel how steadying Callie (and I!!) found it to have my body and sometimes voice when she got tense or scared saying the same steady predictable rhythm. Any surprises or chaos happening around us didn't matter because we both already knew what the next four strides were going to be. It was also fun to realize as we picked up the tempo that it didn't matter how fast she was going, as long as it was my tempo I had no anxiety at all! It was also a big deal to realize that I am capable of convincing Callie to listen and respond to that kind of input.

So, my groundbreaking conclusion is that rhythm creates relaxation. :lol: Shocking and new, I know, and it's never been said by anyone before but someone's got to break new ground. :lol: (/sarcasm, FYI)

As we walked back to the barn Callie was still worried and wanting to spook at a trailer in the driveway, and at the woods, so I went back to counting and widened my hands to help her stay in the middle of me, and it was really something to feel her relief. I felt like I was creating a place of order within chaos for her - there might be a deer over there, the dogs might bark, a car might come around the corner, something might be in the trailer but I KNOW we're walking 1,2,3, 4, so the "mights" are less important. I stopped counting at one point to say "good girl" and she tensed up immediately - whoops! Funny reminder to let go of my own preconceptions and pay attention to what another being actually needs and wants - for Callie, creating order is much more rewarding and meaningful than praise. It might feel good to me to give praise, but it's not about me. :oops:

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu May 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Rye, nice video. Definitely some good lengthening of stride going on there. I like how quiet you kept your body and your hands too. Great job. :D

Gwen, you crack me up. Have happy counting. :lol:

Chisamba, as you have surmised, high hands are an indicator that you are still searching for that "hand-holding" contact. At least that is(was?) the case for me and Rudy. High hands were never an issue for me until Rudy. He has an uncanny ability to raise and shorten his neck in a way that doesn't "look bad" from the saddle. Now that he is stronger and I have spent a year focusing on a reaching contact, my hands seem to be staying where they belong. Before my hands were either back over the pommel or "way" up in the air. Now when I lose that reaching feel, I soften forward with my elbows, I make sure my hands are in the neutral zone, and I put leg on. Oh, and I remind myself that what looks too low in the neck from the saddle, looks just right from the ground (assuming flexion at the poll not the 3rd vertebrae.) Don't know if that helps. Certainly sounds like you are pursuing all angles.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Sue B wrote:
Chisamba, as you have surmised, high hands are an indicator that you are still searching for that "hand-holding" contact. At least that is(was?) the case for me and Rudy. High hands were never an issue for me until Rudy. He has an uncanny ability to raise and shorten his neck in a way that doesn't "look bad" from the saddle. Now that he is stronger and I have spent a year focusing on a reaching contact, my hands seem to be staying where they belong. Before my hands were either back over the pommel or "way" up in the air. Now when I lose that reaching feel, I soften forward with my elbows, I make sure my hands are in the neutral zone, and I put leg on. Oh, and I remind myself that what looks too low in the neck from the saddle, looks just right from the ground (assuming flexion at the poll not the 3rd vertebrae.) Don't know if that helps. Certainly sounds like you are pursuing all angles.

I agree. After warm up, I rode with one hand for a while, and used my legs to ask her to give me the correct response to one hand, of course with one hand, i was inclined to keep it low and the contact even. When that felt successful . I falso made corrections from my seat and leg, then when i resumed riding two handed, i kept my hands in the position i had won riding one handed. I was happy with how we progressed, of course, my ultimate goal is a soft jaw, and less of that one sided feel in the reins, Kimba was a little sensitive so i feel perhaps i made my requests to quickly , so i made sure to give her a moment to give me a response before evaluating and asking again. We smoothed and were more relaxed, but i feel we had a better feel. Of course i will need to see how i look on video to be sure.

I rode today even though i usually take Thursday off. I also gave Kimba a really good body massage with the curry comb. and then a sort of swedish massage stroke with the body brush.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 25, 2017 8:22 pm

delete
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 27, 2017 12:43 am

Imperini wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:Appaloosas. I tell you. They are a breed apart.

Haha so funny and so true. I had my lesson on Friday with the new instructor and she said she hates to stereotype by breed but she finds with Appaloosas they do as much as they want to and no more so my job is to convince Paloma that she wants to work

You know how very occasionally a Molly Mule will have a foal? An old timer out west told me he is absolutely convinced that is how Appaloosas were created. the sparse tails and the attitude being his "proof".

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat May 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Sorry to hear about your fall demi, that's never fun.

Since my lesson last week I've had a few super rides and a few meh rides. Of course I set up my phone to take some video on one of the meh ride days. The outdoor is so large that just setting my phone up ends up with mostly an empty arena and a few strides of horse and me here and there but the real purpose of the video was to see how noticeable the changes in my position were so it served its purpose.

The good news was my lower body looked better. My leg still has a habit of trying to creep forward into a chair seat but overall I was very happy with how my leg was hanging. It never looked like I was struggling to reach my much longer stirrups and while the forward creeping is still a struggle there wasn't upward grippy creeping. My stirrups don't feel too long either which is a surprise because when I lengthened them half a hole a month or so ago I really struggled with it. The focus on keeping my leg around her instead of a death grip at the thigh has really helped get me into the seat with a better leg and it's crazy how much better a feel I have too. Still a work in progress but moving in the right direction.

The bad news was I'm not sure what the heck was going on with my arms. It was like I was a zombie with my arms sticking out looking for poor Pallie's brains. She also had a bit of the "grass mumps" going on so with my zombie arms combined with her puffy throat latch area it's no wonder she was not particularly soft that day. Even with the improvements in my seat and legs the arms being stiff and zombie like left me feeling really bad about my riding. Then I decided to suck it up and fix the problem instead of feeling bad about it.

Yesterday's ride was one of the super rides. She was forward and soft and I made sure not to have zombie arms. With the focus on my hands and arms I feel like I lost a bit of the lower body though I didn't have any struggle with the longer leg so that's a plus. It's hard keeping track of all of me. I was so worried right after my lesson that I was going to lose the feel of the lower body as I have felt it in the past sometimes especially after cantering but I didn't really understand the mechanics so had difficulty getting it all the time. Understanding the mechanics I think really allows me to get the right feel right away and while I am sure there will be adjustments necessary in my next lesson I'm less worried about not being able to get that seat back when I get in the saddle.

I'm also doing a ton of stretching and core exercises even on my riding days and especially my non-riding days and while I'm certainly not going to be described as flexible probably ever I do feel more flexible and my hips feel like they are moving a little smoother. They do still catch fairly often but that doesn't tend to happen in the saddle so it's just more of a reminder that they're probably never going to be great but I'm still sure they can be better.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:12 am

Chisamba wrote:[You know how very occasionally a Molly Mule will have a foal? An old timer out west told me he is absolutely convinced that is how Appaloosas were created. the sparse tails and the attitude being his "proof".

When I was living in California back in the 70's I went on a big reinactment ride (Dd Anza Trek) with probably more than 100 horses, and someone was riding an appy, and I could not tell if it was a horse or a mule. It had a sparse mane and tail, so no clues there, and a huge head and ears, and at the time I wasn't familiar enough with mule behavior to be able to tell from that.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun May 28, 2017 6:41 pm

We jumped today and it was fun. She's a good girl and doesn't have a scary jump at all. Not to mention the jumps were ridiculously tiny :D The two rides prior were both excellent so I figured it was time for a fun day.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 29, 2017 2:08 am

I have decided I am T rex. I worked really hard on keeping my hands lower and a straight line from elbow to bit, and now i am slightly tipped forward. Perhaps it really is a short arm big boob anatomy thing?? or i am making excuses for myself.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 29, 2017 4:04 am

Chisamba, I watched several training 1st level tests at our only local rated show last weekend, and noticed that the riders at that level who rode with shorter reins and more forward hands were less likely to tip forward. With the longer rein, the riders tended to tip forward and break at the wrist in an attempt to create connection. I'm wondering, from your pic, if you brought your elbows forward a bit and shortened your reins a couple inches, if you'd also bring your shoulders back into a more upright posture? It seems kind of counter-intuitive, but it works that way for me as well. IDK if you can scoots more forward to the pommel, but it looks like you're pushed back towards the cantle, which will also inevitably tip you forward.

Well, I actually got on my horse today and walked around the arena a few times. She feels so weak, but it will get better. Yesterday was her first day back to real lunge work since the whole abscess/not strangles ordeal started two weeks ago, so she's lost some ground, and started out a little stiff and uneven today after tearing around like a Banshee on the lunge yesterday. I've got a Wintec AP that fits her now, so I'll start adding in some riding so we can do more straight lines and less lunging. I put her in a loose ring Myler today with a plain headstall and no noseband to avoid the abscess site, and was surprised at how quiet she was in the mouth. I've been thinking that the Micklem/Baucher combo would be the best transition for her from the Mullen shank bit she was in, but maybe not.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 29, 2017 4:27 am

Lol straight forward, first off, are you saying my wrist is broken, I don't see that.

However, my tipping forward in this Instance is very specific to my attempt to lower my hands and ride more elbow forward. I have to develop a better sense of hand torso proprioception.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 29, 2017 4:48 am

or could it be that your body was instinctively responding to something about the mare that your brain doesnt recognize yet? First your hands were too high, so then you fixed that but your body tipped forward. What are you feeling that first made you ride her with high hands. It was specific to her because you said you weren't riding with high hands on the other horses you had videoed on the same day...

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 am

Nearly the end of the month, so another little update from me. I have my affiliated dressage debut on Wednesday so as a confidence giver I entered 2 x unaffiliated tests yesterday at a nice friendly venue, what could go wrong? Well I had only memorized the wrong blinking tests :lol: !

I had realised I had the wrong preliminary test the night before. I only realised that I had the wrong intro as well when I nipped to the ladies pre warming up and was somewhat surprised that a competitor was doing a serpentine mid test, the test I had memorized didn't include one! The organizer expected me to withdraw but I said I might as well have a bash and a friend kindly read both tests.

Both went reasonably well given the circumstance intro 68% ,preliminary 64% so I was quite pleased given the circumstances. Learning points are check you have the correct test!

Friend also suggested for left canter aid to put inside leg slightly forward to give aid to canter as moves weight balance. This immediately cured tendency to pick up wrong lead :) .Tbh it was worth going just for that.

Lovely to read all the progress reports from every one.
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Return to “Dressage Training”