The Big Black Freight Train - GOING HOME

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
bailey
Herd Member

Re: The Big Black Freight Train

Postby bailey » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Hang in there BBFT, next ride will be better. He looks like I feel after a hard work out. He has a nice cooler & massage-that's pretty good!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:16 pm

Tuddy wrote:Thanks for the link piedmontfields!

And thanks to everyone for their kind words so far. Last night's ride was a tough one, I had one very grouchy boy to deal with. We are going to swap out saddles and see if it makes his attitude a little better. It wasn't a bad ride, he is very sensitive and responsive and seems to enjoy the work, but there is something physical making him uncomfortable. Going to try out my english saddle tonite.

Lucas cooling.jpg

Just hanging out after our ride, had to wait til he dried off before I could put him back in his pen. He didn't mind, he had other people doting on him and he got a good rub down with Absorbine too. He loves the massage to his stifle, butt cheeks and shoulders. That little lip of his just gets going when you hit the sweet spot. :)

He's a heavily muscled guy, could be he's a bit tied up or PSSM-y.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:50 pm

greenholmeshandy wrote:I love him! kind of like a giant version of mine, I have attached a picture of her sire who is a typical Fell pony. I wonder if there is a connection way back from English Fell and Dales to Canadian horses?

Oh my word, I need one! He looks amazing!

Fatcat wrote:He's a heavily muscled guy, could be he's a bit tied up or PSSM-y.

That is what I am thinking too. I have the vet look at him in two weeks, I was going to discuss it with her too. He is getting a thorough exam and teeth checked/floated if needed.

We are getting winter here on the prairies and it hasn't really been nice out the past couple of days. My husband needed help moving cows yesterday, so I didn't get a ride in. We have a lesson tomorrow, I will see how he goes with the english saddle.

Thanks for the suggestion Fatcat!

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:37 am

gigi snapshot 11-2015.JPG
gigi snapshot 11-2015.JPG (62.6 KiB) Viewed 23465 times
Here is a snapshot of Lucas' cousin Gigi. It was taken at a bad angle and made her body look tiny, but perhaps you can still see a resemblance. She alternates between a bright, Welsh pony kind of expression and a cute stubborn draft face. :D

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:38 pm

vkitty, what a pretty mare! She is very feminine. Is she closely related to my guy?

Lesson night tonite and I am looking forward to it. The BBFT will be wearing an english saddle, he is gonna look so silly! Love it!

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Gigi is a Blanchard - Mt. Rouge Fox Gilo/Blanchard Sultan Windy. I don't know much about the Canadien breeding, but she has little to none of the Henryville line. Think they are all closely related :) Her rump is more sloping and less ROUND :)

Hope your English saddle is comfortable for Lucas!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:56 pm

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY

That is my motto, I am sticking to it.

I had the absolute worst ride ever on Thursday. Yes, I know, I shouldn't complain as I did pull the #bigblackfreighttrain out of pasture and he is no where near fit or happy about coming out of retirement. The vet comes out on the 11th for teeth and general exam, hopefully, Lucas will go a little better after that. Assuming his grouchy attitude is teeth related. I did switch out saddles and the english one fit sooo much better.

Stressed right out that I only have 2 and half months to get my act together for this big show in February.

Non horse related, I have encountered some family issues that are very slowly being resolved, but my hands are tied as it involves in-laws that consider me an outlaw, so, well, we will just leave it at that.

And to top it all off, the #blondebastard, (my other Canadien, Yonka), decided Saturday would be a great day to wreck the barn door at home, go in it and destroy everything in sight and help himself to the round bale in the alley. What.a.mess.

That is my rant for the day. I will have a better ride tonite, and will have a way better update tomorrow!

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:41 am

They are pushy little things! Hope you can forget the stress briefly and enjoy the BBFT :D

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:16 pm

New bridle, new reins (not as heavy), extra dressage pad over top the Back on Track pad, warmer weather = one happier BBFT! (and rider! :D )

Really good lesson last night! He is starting to use his body in walk/trot transitions instead of just using his legs. Things are coming along. :)

But then.... I got home from my lesson, went downstairs to feed the house cats, and found this..... As I stated on my Instagram, Skinny Wallet Farm Mobile Crisis Unit, aka, my husband, was obviously called out earlier to apprehend a calf from his unfit mother. This poor thing was born out in the open along side it's twin, (who, unfortunately, did not survive), and the mother is a younger cow who decided it didn't know how to feed it, or she left it, or she didn't think it was a priority. It spent the night in the basement, got a gut full of milk replacer and we are going to see if its mother will take it back. If not, I guess I have a bottle fed baby to look after this winter.
Attachments
calf.jpg
calf.jpg (251.73 KiB) Viewed 23366 times

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 am

:shock:

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:11 pm

Awww. Poor little thing. I hope the mother figures out what to do and takes it back!!! And the poor twin. :(

Glad things are going better with the BBFT!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Unfortunately, the poor thing didn't make it. It was pretty weak.

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:06 am

What a sad experience. I would never survive as a farmer.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Haha vkitty, you could do it! It has more good days than bad days, that is for sure!

Had a pole lesson with the BBFT on Saturday. He was pretty tired. I can't wait to have the vet out to see him on Friday, I really want his teeth looked at as he is getting a little more owly each time I bridle him.

We had a good ride, he did really well and tried his best. I have attached some pictures that I took from a video, so hopefully, you can see him. Forgive my position, I really had to work on him to stay forward and not go down to a walk. It is hard work for him right now. These pictures were just before we finished for the day and we cooled out. He is like riding a barrel!
Attachments
Lucas Trot.jpg
Lucas Trot.jpg (86.85 KiB) Viewed 23269 times
lucas done.jpg
lucas done.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 23269 times

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:15 am

Love his expression in the first picture! He's trying really hard. You both look great, good job!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Big Black Freight Train had his teeth done and a nice massage this past weekend. Rode yesterday and his stifle is buggered. Was riding at a walk and he was fine, threw him into a trot and both my coach and I were, "What is going on!!!!" Got off and yup, bad leg. Calling vet today. Please send good vibes!

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Big Black Freight Train - JINGLES NEEDED

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Oh dear, sending a lot of good vibes!

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Jingling that it is something simple like an abscess versus being stifles! Good luck!

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:32 am

Thinking good thoughts for the BBFT!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks everyone.

We have been handwalking for about 20 minutes a day to keep him moving. I have the vet coming on Monday to do an ultrasound to see what is going on.

He walks fine, but seems to protect his left leg. He tracks properly at a walk, but is just off at the trot. Who knows, maybe we just over adjusted something on Saturday and his body is not liking the fact that it is now in the right physiological position after being out for so long.

It is a wait and see game for now... Keep jingling please, it is muchly appreciated!

(Edited to add... I typed "wait and see", and I find it funny as part of his registered name is "Waitnesee", lol!)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: The Big Black Freight Train - No Ultrasound today..

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Today we find out, or at least get some insight, as to what is going on with Lucas. I have been hand walking him for the past week and you would never know that he has an issue. Saturday, I decided what he would do at a trot, and it was a no-go. You could still see the unbalance. I wish my damn YouTube would work. I have been trying to upload video for everyone to see, but that seems to hate me too.

Cross your fingers for some good news today!

UDATE - Just got a call from the vet, my vet is sick. She cannot make it out until January 4. So, it is what it is. I cannot ride him until he gets looked at, and he will most likely come home then. Ugh, I am so discouraged right now. :cry:

dressagefan
Greenie

Postby dressagefan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:33 pm

I have a draft cross like this. I've found managing his muscles to stay relaxed keeps everything else better., including his trot and stifle catching. I use his back on track saddle pad to drape over his haunches while in cross ties and it helps his whole back end including stifles. finally got the BOT sheet and it makes a huge difference in his whole body and mood. Also enough selenium, Vitamin E, and magnesium. The magnesium was key and he takes a LOT. Also adding some fat helps a great deal in his ability to use hind end.

I know it may be more specific but these have helped prevent and minimize the sticky stifle he used to get often.... hopefully it's something easily resolved! :)

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:52 am

Jingles for BBFT, and a good vet report. Something easy to fix!

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:17 am

:( Please give him a big sturdy pat from his cousin Gigi.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks everyone!

I went out and hand walked Lucas last night and my coach and another boarder were in the arena with me. We decided to put him up to a trot just freely in the arena and he bucked and farted and I had a heart attack thinking don't wreck anything more on your body! GAWD! He came down to a trot and it was a lot better than what he showed us on Saturday. It almost seems like he is "stuck" somewhere. You really notice it when he transitions down from a trot to a walk. I really wish my YouTube would work and I could show you!

His massage and chiro gal is coming out tonite to have a look at him too. I just want her to have a look at his movement. If she feels like giving him a treatment, then we will, but she may just want to wait until what the ultrasound shows us (assuming, it will show us something).

I am pretty discouraged as I was supposed to use Lukey Pookey (he hates being called that, but then I give him a treat, so he gets over it pretty quick), as part of the Battle of Breeds team in February, but I can't see us doing that now.

Thanks for all the kind words, and yes, I will give him some scritchies from you! Keep jingling folks, it seems to be working!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:07 pm

Following along and jingling.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:47 am

more jingles!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks folks!

Lucas had his treatment with chiro and she thinks it is suspensory. His whole pelvis had shifted to the right and forward. This is his usual issue, but this time it slid back into place quite easily. She didn't do anything other than that as she wants to hear what the vet has to say.

He pretty much is just doing his thing out in his pen and we hang out every day for a bit. He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable at all. And now that I put him on MSM along with his glucosamine, he thinks this being fed grain twice a day is the real cat's a$$.

From the BBFT and I, we wish you the merriest of Christmas'!!!!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Well, today is the day, ultrasound day!

I really don't know what the ultrasound will say today. On one hand, I hope they find something so at least we have some answers as to the cause, but yet, on the other hand, I don't want anything to be found, as that means he has been in pain for some time.

I have been hand walking him for two weeks, and really, there is no change. I am wondering now if it is arthritis and I just never noticed it.

Either way, I think I am finally at peace with the fact that he will come home and live out his life being a pasture puff. Lucky guy, what a life!

I will keep you posted as to what we see/don't see today after our appointment. Keep thinking good thoughts for us! It is really appreciated.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: The Big Black Freight Train - GOING HOME

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:34 pm

My BBFT had his appointment with the vet yesterday. We went with x-ray over ultrasound.

He has always protected his back left leg. He does have calcifications on the inside of the hock that are visible in the summer when he isn't so fluffy with hair. We x-rayed it and noticed that the hock is nearly fused. Because of the condition of the bone, he protects that leg by short striding it (which we have always noticed). When the leg is lifted up, he knows that the impact of landing will jar the joint, so he shortens the stifle/glute/hamstring just before the downfall of the stride to protect the impaction on landing. We think this is the issue. Why did he get lame so fast, we think a slip in the pen aggravated an already strained muscle structure. When you watch him walk, you wouldn't notice he has a problem, same when you ride him at a walk, everything is even. Up into a trot and you can see it. We figure that if/when the hock fully fuses, he will actually be better as he won't feel the jarring so much.

Next step - home to be a pasture puff/trail riding pony. Lucky for me, I have the ability to keep him at home for the rest of his days. He will get his MSM and Glucosamine everyday and hang out with my daughters QH, who also has arthritis and a front leg issue, so they can be the grumpy old men of Skinny Wallet Farm. My daughter and I will pull them out of retirement on occasion to walk around the fence line and remind them that every now and again, they have to do other things than just eat.

My barn owner's husband just built a brand new, heated shop. It has had a car in it for about an hour since it was built. It was a perfect place to do x-rays as it was nice and bright and warm. I told him that if Lucas pooped on his brand new concrete floor, I would clean it with a toothbrush.... I am off to the dollar store to buy a sh*tload (pardon the pun) of toothbrushes. :oops:

I sent this picture of me and Lucas waiting to start x-rays to my bodybuilding coach with the caption "Don't ya wish your girlfriend was hot like me...." :mrgreen:
Attachments
Lucas X-Ray.jpg
Lucas X-Ray.jpg (214.55 KiB) Viewed 22692 times

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm sorry it wasn't the answer that you were looking for, but I'm glad you're at peace with it and he has such a wonderful home to go to. At least you have some answers as to what is going on and a good plan to manage it. (And your photo is priceless!)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:47 pm

they can return to soundness after fusion has happened, can't they?

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:35 am

He is a lucky man - and I'm so glad we got to "meet" his giant adorable-ness!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:31 pm

Chisamba wrote:they can return to soundness after fusion has happened, can't they?

Yes, no joint, no pain. I did have the option to inject him with some stuff to help speed up the process. He doesn't seem lame at the walk, so we just left it.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. It is really appreciated.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Tuddy wrote:
Chisamba wrote:they can return to soundness after fusion has happened, can't they?

Yes, no joint, no pain. I did have the option to inject him with some stuff to help speed up the process. He doesn't seem lame at the walk, so we just left it.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. It is really appreciated.

I am a chubby person who likes food, so take this is shared with sympathy, not disapproval, but if you can get him a tiny bit lighter i think it might ease some of his occasional discomfort. although he might prefer to eat and be a bit uncomfortable, lol.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Chisamba wrote:I am a chubby person who likes food, so take this is shared with sympathy, not disapproval, but if you can get him a tiny bit lighter i think it might ease some of his occasional discomfort. although he might prefer to eat and be a bit uncomfortable, lol.

:D It's the breed. Lucas won't get much smaller than this unless I clip his hair. Right now, you can feel his ribs.

When he gets home, he will be on free choice grass hay, so yeah, he will pack on the weight again, but it is also going to be -21F for night time lows for the next while too, not including windchill factors.

It will be the summer that I will have to do the grazing muzzle with him again. Oh the joys of horses that get fat on air!

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:34 am

Jingles for BBFT, hope he is feeling better soon. I admire you for taking such great care of him, and taking this change in stride. A sign of a true horse person in my mind.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Glad you have clarity on what was going on. The BBFT is lucky to have you taking care of him!

Return to “Dressage Training”