Not ready to write, but a few musings

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Not ready to write, but a few musings

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 pm

So I spent the weekend at JJ Tate's South Carolina training site watching a Charles de Kunffy clinic. I got to see JJ work 4 horses with Charles, as well as a variety of other pairs.

It was a very rich and inspiring experience. Overall, I came away more convinced than ever that classical training just plain works. It is fair for the horse and good for the rider. It makes horses more beautiful and stronger. And it challenges us to understand the nature of the horse while we also work to improve the horse.

I've never really been one of those people who think that dressage is what "horses do naturally." Somehow this clinic really put it together for me to understand more fully why that is not true! The athletic development of the horse is truly work and takes time, repetition and method--all while paying attention to the nature of the horse.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Re: Not ready to write, but a few musings

Postby Dresseur » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm really interested in your clinic notes! I'm glad you had such a great experience and take aways!

fireantranch
Greenie

Postby fireantranch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Thank you for posting that! I was able to audit a de Kunffy clinic a few months ago and felt the same thing. I am in the process of re-reading all his books. Good dressage IS hard work but it makes the horse more beautiful every single day.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:12 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
I've never really been one of those people who think that dressage is what "horses do naturally."

Now that I'm retired I spend a lot more time watching horses doing what they do naturally. I was watching two of them running the fence the other day, and one of them did a levade. First time I've seen one that, and I was taken aback at how much energy it took. I think it was a last minute correction on his part, as he does a lot of rearing but doesn't very often shift much extra weight to his hinds to do much of anything.

I think what happened was that he was planning to stop and rear and found himself too close to the electric fence so opted to shift his weight back more, and when he did he ended up in a levade--which he didn't hold for long before he stepped out of it and trotted down the fence line again. But what I noticed was how much energy it took for him to hold himself in a levade even for such a short time.

Guess that explains why I seldom see horses in levade at liberty!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Yes, collection is such incredibly hard work! That's why horses generally choose *not* to do a levade or high collection in their pastures lol. But the electric fence upped the ante for your fellow and he went for it :-)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

I think that dressage is what horses do not do naturally, because they do not carry humans naturally. At its simplest its about making a horse as balanced as possible so that it stays sounder longer, and is a pleasure to ride. At its most complicated it is quite demanding. As i get older i seem to demand less of my horses and this has stalled me at around second/third level in my training. I have to make a major self assessment soon to decide if i want to push through to the hard stuff, or simply enjoy the middle

demi

Postby demi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm

fireantranch wrote:Thank you for posting that! I was able to audit a de Kunffy clinic a few months ago and felt the same thing. I am in the process of re-reading all his books. Good dressage IS hard work but it makes the horse more beautiful every single day.

Hi Fireant! I just noticed your location. Did you go to Concordia Dressage for the clinic? I audited there last year but didn't make this year. We are neighbors. Maybe we could do some riding together.I would love to find a new trail riding buddy :) . I will PM you.

I like Charles and have both ridden and audited his clinics. I have read three of his books but somehow only have one left. "Creative Horsemanship". I will look at it again in anticipation of Piedmont's clinic report.

Return to “Dressage Training”