Why Aren't You (g) In A Regular Lesson Program?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Why Aren't You (g) In A Regular Lesson Program?

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:29 am

Yes, everyone can get tired, grumpy, hurt, and react out more.

Mostly despite differences, there is helpful kind and useful conversation here.

Thanks.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Flight wrote:Tlkidding and RosieB - interesting that you both don't have regular lessons yet obviously doing so well! RosieB - you video and analyse that quite regularly? Tlkidding, do you do similar or have mirrors to assist with your training? Pretty cool that you are training GP, I love hearing of AAs getting up to that level.

We have a few small mirrors in the indoor, but they are not all that helpful except when you are directly in front of them, and you can't see the horse's feet. And in the summer, I do most of my riding in the outdoor with no mirrors. Neither of the arenas measure exact to a dressage arena. 8-)

I am an unusual AA - I don't have a significant other/family so I have a lot more time to spend riding than most AAs with a wife/husband and kids. I'm also an introvert, so barn time is most of my "social" time for the week other than work and the gym. I'm not making big money in my job and do have to watch my money carefully but since I only have to take care of myself and my horse, there's not a lot of "discussion" about how much I spend on my horse. :mrgreen:

I think my horse and I are slightly above average in terms of physical build, natural talent, trainability, etc. I don't have a very fancy horse but he's been surprisingly trainable and willing. I myself have pretty good conformation for dressage except being short overall and I have decent timing and am pretty analytical.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm

I thought this video was inspiring. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsTCb0Aswbk

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Tlkidding - I'm similar in that it's pretty much just me and I like to be at home riding my horses. I don't have natural ability, but I'm obsessed so I'm hoping that will help :D I'd love to get to GP one day. Interesting that you are managing quite well without an intensive lesson program.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm

It's so nice to hear that it can be done. :)

Watching the SoloShot3 updates, and it sounds like it might really be available within the next few months. I think that will be a big help!
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:43 pm

I'm watching the soloshot 3 updates also. I think it will be a real boost for my riding. I have a decent eye but my feel needs a lot of development. By videoing every ride and watching right after, I expect to be able to improve my feel. Even still photos for me are very helpful, but as with the video, I hate to ask anyone to devote that much of their time to photograph me on my pony.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks Flight - but I don't think I can take a whole lot of credit for doing well on my own yet. He's 7 and I'm only just starting to feel like I am getting the basics in place. I have gone down more than one garden path with him but am now starting to feel like we're on the straight and narrow.

I do video regularly, and watch and analyze it. I try to get video every 2-3 weeks. Any more often than that (barring special circumstances), and I risk losing sight of my long term game plan to address every little hiccup I see in the ride. I find I need to stick to my game plan, and if the new video shows improvement from the previous video, I don't adjust my course at all. If it doesn't, then I need to dig deeper.

I watch a lot of other people's videos on youtube, and tend to do a bit of stalking on centerlinescores.com to see how those people are scoring and what level they're riding (if it's not obvious). Right now I'm watching Jeremy Steinberg clinic videos, because he explains everything so well it's extremely informative. Watching everything I can keeps giving me new ideas for things to try and exercises to ride, as well as serving as inspiration.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Why would I put myself I the position to be watched and judged similarly.

I had to back off my riding significantly. My priorities changed but my desire has not. I'll answer the why.........because you know that those on the rail wish that they were in your spot, those on the rail have their own insecurities and critiquing you helps them forget their own weaknesses, because you know misery loves company..........BUT..............you also know that for every moment you are out there you are learning and gaining information that in one way or another helps you grow with the horse you're riding and all the ones you get on next. That is invaluable and that is what the others are truly jealous of - it's not about how good of a rider you are or you are not........it's that you are out there doing it.

I hope the thought of what others might think never keeps someone from enjoying their own horse or putting their neck out there to ride with someone they respect and/or someone who they don't get the opportunity to ride with often.

I would love to get a lesson a week; but, for me right now the expense cannot be justified. The fact that I really have nothing to show, does keep me from showing or going to clinics. I have hopes that I will have my 3 year old ready to go to schooling shows in a few months and perhaps next year try a recognize show. If I get close to that point I will start back with regular lessons. I think for all of us it's all about the opportunity and the value we get out of each riding experience.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

exvet wrote:.you also know that for every moment you are out there you are learning and gaining information that in one way or another helps you grow with the horse you're riding and all the ones you get on next. That is invaluable and that is what the others are truly jealous of - it's not about how good of a rider you are or you are not........it's that you are out there doing it.

Yup, or as my first instructor (who showed often) used to say, "The hardest part is getting there".

I also think that people have good days and bad days, and when they're having a bad day everything that comes out of their mouth can take the form of a criticism of someone else. It doesn't matter to them what they criticize, because they just need their sad little fix on their sad little days--and then when they recover they may try to make up for their sad choices by being extra supportive.

The problem is that when there are a lot of rail birds at least a few of them will be having a sad day, and then if we're having a not-so-resilient day ourselves we might actually notice or let the comments get to us, and then we give them exactly what they were looking for. IOW, we reward their behavior.

So the first rule of thumb is: don't pretend that you ride better than you do, because that way you'll have nothing to hide so won't care if someone points out that you ride the way you ride. The second is to really buy into the idea that it's their problem, not yours, because not only are you actually there riding well given your circumstances, but you have enough self control to ignore anything that smacks of junior high foolishness.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Knock it off, ladies. Chancellor has enough on her plate without having to deal with you engaging in public brawl.

Thank you Mountaineer. You are right. I do.

There is no reason to resort to personal attacks. Musical Comedy, watch your step please.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Someone didn't like the way my horse was put together (they didn't know I heard them)....later on, I wanted to wave my 74% soresheet in their face, and the 3rd place ribbon my horse got in a very large class. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Kicking ass can be satisfying, on an odd colored pony.

I experienced this sort of railbird chattering when I was showing my full Percheron at First Level. He was high score of the day at that show, and finished the year as reserve champion provincially. There's nothing like the revenge inherent in living well!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:58 pm

There can never be a formula for success in a training program that works for all horses and riders in this country. Except for the USDF Trainers clinics/certification program, or the USHJA trainer cert program, anyone can hang a shingle. There are some excellent riders who are terrible teachers, and vice versa. Being in a regular lesson program even with someone with a successful show career is no guarantee the horse will be happy or that the rider will progress. At all. I see it all the time, even here in Dressage Mecca. Success, IMO, should be measured by 'is the horse comfortable in his body and being developed in an athletically beneficial way'? Are resistances addressed in an effective way or is the horse punished for 'evasions'? Does he understand what is being asked of him and is he physically able to answer the questions being asked? Is the rider able to understand the directions of the trainer and the hows and whys and the effect of the requests/aids on the horse? And is she physically capable of performing the request/aid? Does she know what her body is actually doing as opposed to what she thinks it is doing? Does the trainer address that?

If this ideal scenario isn't available, then all the lessons, time, and money in the world aren't really going to mean much.

Chisamba, don't cancel your clinic with Jeremy.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Well said, AbbyKogler.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Not only everything that AbbyK mentionioned, but even if, (and the "IF" is a very big one) the rider is able to make the ideal scenario happen, other things happen that prevent, or slow down, a good rider and a good horse from progressing up the levels. Like family or personal issues, or illness of the rider or the horse, or the rider realizing that the horse is not working out for the intended purpose, but being unwilling to sell him and start over. Some people have waited years for a horse with lameness or other issues to resolve, unwilling to sell them because they have become friends that they don't want to sell.

I have no problem with other people selling, or re-homing horses in general, but my own personality makes it very difficult for me to let go of a horse once it becomes my friend. For me it would be like selling my dog.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:25 am

demi wrote: I have no problem with other people selling, or re-homing horses in general, but my own personality makes it very difficult for me to let go of a horse once it becomes my friend. For me it would be like selling my dog.

I feel exactly the same and have kept all my retirees. :)

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:34 pm

demi wrote:Not only everything that AbbyK mentionioned, but even if, (and the "IF" is a very big one) the rider is able to make the ideal scenario happen, other things happen that prevent, or slow down, a good rider and a good horse from progressing up the levels.

This, big time. As a single mom who works f/t in a demanding career (i.e., many later-than-expected days at the office) and who runs her own hobby farm single-handedly (well, also with the help of my 10 yr old who is a big help!), it sure does impact my ability to keep my horses in a consistent program. Add on top of that my hand surgery in February, my fall in May, and now my broken finger, it's meant long periods out of the saddle, frustratingly so.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Abby Kogler wrote:Success, IMO, should be measured by 'is the horse comfortable in his body and being developed in an athletically beneficial way'? Are resistances addressed in an effective way or is the horse punished for 'evasions'? Does he understand what is being asked of him and is he physically able to answer the questions being asked? Is the rider able to understand the directions of the trainer and the hows and whys and the effect of the requests/aids on the horse? And is she physically capable of performing the request/aid? Does she know what her body is actually doing as opposed to what she thinks it is doing? Does the trainer address that?

If this ideal scenario isn't available, then all the lessons, time, and money in the world aren't really going to mean much.

Chisamba, don't cancel your clinic with Jeremy.

This is why I LOVE my program and trainer! 200% yes

(and the clinic was cancelled Abby, major bummer!)

I take lessons as much as I can, every two weeks or every week.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 pm

I quit taking lessons because... money, and the fact that I was so disgusted with the industry in my area that I didn't want to be a part of it. I did ride a couple weekends ago at a clinic and it made me want to hop back in the saddle, but we'll see.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:58 am

Interesting thread. I'll chime in with a different reason.

The trainer I had before my current one was straight up an insane controlling wacko. And I use wacko instead of the term B-term that I really mean. After her, it took me over a year to decide that I was willing to ever deal with another trainer again. So, for me, the break in training (no lessons) was about loosing faith in finding a trainer that was actually a decent human being.

I've worked with many trainers and put up with a lot of ridiculous personalities over the years. Of course, there were also some good ones in there too! Crazily enough I've noticed that even the crazy trainers tend to have loyal followers. I think as a sport we tend to make excuses for the behavior of our trainers because they are providing a service that we deem hard to find and "worth it." So, often we put up with behavior from trainers that we would never accept of others in the other areas of our lives. I've decided I'm done with that and would rather be trainerless than deal with unsavory behavior.

Fast forward to now, I'm lucky enough that I've found a trainer who seems like a good person and is fun to be around. Hopefully I'll continue to work with her and I'm thankful for it. :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:14 am

HafDressage wrote: So, often we put up with behavior from trainers that we would never accept of others in the other areas of our lives. I've decided I'm done with that and would rather be trainerless than deal with unsavory behavior.

I am so with you and have the t-shirt! I am super clear about other toxic relationships in life but have in the past put up with ?trainers.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:29 am

I have noticed plenty of people buy a young horse and keep them in full training year after year. They take lessons and the trainer trains the horse and keeps it ahead of the rider/owner. I have not crunched the numbers but I suspect there is a point fairly early on where it must be cheaper to buy a highly trained horse, take some lessons (assuming a decent base of understanding of theory and being able to practice productively), and have the trainer tune the horse occasionally. I guess it is the issue of lump sum at the beginning versus doling it out. Like a down payment and mortgage versus paying cash for a house.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:25 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
HafDressage wrote: So, often we put up with behavior from trainers that we would never accept of others in the other areas of our lives. I've decided I'm done with that and would rather be trainerless than deal with unsavory behavior.

I am so with you and have the t-shirt! I am super clear about other toxic relationships in life but have in the past put up with ?trainers.

:lol: :lol: :D Seriously, we should make t-shirts!

Return to “Dressage Training”