September and October Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
mari
Herd Member

Re: September and October Goals and Progress

Postby mari » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Can someone explain how to embed the photos again? I got it right on a thread a few months back, but now I'm lost.

I use Google Photos, I open the photo, I click on "Share" and then "Get link". I copy that link, and using the full editor, I add an IMG tag and paste the link in the tag.

But the photo doesn't show? (In the above post I just ended up using the URL tag)
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:07 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I'm all verkelmpt this evening. My dear friend came over to the barn this afternoon to watch us go. As she was leaving she called me outside and gave me a very precious thing--her late GP mare's full bridle.

She said I'd be needing it soon. Very big shoes to fill.

We are progressing. We are at 35 minutes under saddle including 4 circuits in each direction at a trot. Laddie feels strong and happy. I look like a flapping dolly. But it can only get better :)

https://www.facebook.com/amanda.tricket ... 189118444/

Aw, M! Verklempt indeed. What a lovely gesture, what a loving thing for her to do.

I get the flapping dolly thing, I feel like I am all over the map. But as you say, we can only go up >;->

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Mari, you guys look great. You horse is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Mountaineer, that is a wonderful gesture! I would also be undone by that!

I've taken Miro's rehab to under saddle. So far, he's been like a lazy boy recliner. Plushy, soft and comfortable with zero hijinks. My coach tells me that's a honeymoon phase. He's walking 10 minutes each direction, trotting 8 long sides in each direction and so far, so good. I'm still convinced that at any second it will all fall apart, I'm having ridiculous amounts of anxiety over thinking that he looks lame or feels lame or whatever. But so far, I've felt nothing and each week, I recheck and he's stayed good.

In other news, it has almost been a year to the day when I started riding Gala and we started down the flying change journey. A lot is said about teaching horses flying changes, almost nothing is said about teaching riders flying changes. A single change, sure... but not tempis! Finally, FINALLY, these last few lessons and rides have shown that I am well and truly on my way to being competent riding tempis, at least on this horse. The next step will be can I ride tempis on OTHER horses. But, this has been a year-long journey for me and finally, I can ride any count, with very minimal mistakes, and start fixing issues in the canter quality to save the line. This upper level stuff is hard as hell. I have so much respect for anyone who is learning it, and those of you who have mastered it.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Dresseur wrote:This upper level stuff is hard as hell. I have so much respect for anyone who is learning it, and those of you who have mastered it.

I second that! I just commented to my instructor yesterday that *I* am finally transitioning from lower-level rider to mid-level rider in that I'm learning to train my two horses with upper-level movements in mind. It sure is bloody hard, especially the timing and how quickly one must react to mistakes, etc. (let alone recognize that a mistake happened in some cases). It's exhilarating and daunting all at the same time!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Dresseur, I understand... I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I made that video viewable, I think...

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:45 pm

I think Chisamba said it best... there is a huge gap between PSG and I-1/GP for the rider.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Awesome updates, everyone. I always love seeing Laddie--even blurry. You two are an elegant match and will no doubt be ready for that bridle before you know it. Mari, you know I love Odin photo updates! Flight, you look fit and awesome and your horse does, too. I need to improve my fitness :-0. It has not been a great year on that front. Dresseur, I continue to be grateful for you sharing your journey in words---it is fascinating and your progress is substantial! And I love hearing about the fun you are having with Rocky and your new trainer, Demi. Everyone else, please keep sharing---your stories and process are inspiring. Remember, no matter how bad or mild our winter, we are all trying to keep going with less daylight! lol

Emi and I had one of those awful 40 degrees and damp rides yesterday---which we both hate. I am stiff (effects of joint disease) and she feels like sludge (PSSM). But dedicated we are and 40 minutes of work later we were both a lot happier. I have ordered her a new cheerful quarter sheet (from a Danish company) to give her butt some variety in the forthcoming weather!

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 pm

kande50 wrote:
demi wrote:
Yesterday I was worried about getting through the winter. Since I am investing in a trainer, I feel that I must keep Rocky working at the bare minimum of 4 times a week, with the optimum being 5 times a week, which includes trailering out for the weekly lesson. I know I overthink things...

When I was trailering out for weekly lessons I too, found it motivating, because I knew another lesson was coming up and I wanted to work on what I'd done in the last one before the next one, so I was much more motivated to get out there and ride.

Eventually, as I realized that what I was doing in lessons wasn't for me I did move on to local schooling shows instead of lessons, and found that motivating too, but if I could have found a training situation that worked for me that would have been my preference.

This is where I have found myself quite often over the years. I took my horse, Dutch for a couple months of training to a different stable, and hated having to drive to go see my horse, I liked the facility, but not the rules.
I can ride to the stable next-door, but that isn't all that great either, because the trainers aren't that knowledgeable on how to deal with youngsters. They basically work with school horses, and that is totally different than a youngster, especially one that does not live at the stable. In the winter, the trail over to the stable is too muddy to pass.
I am thinking of trying to find someone via internet to send video to critique, and give me ideas on what to work on. It could probably even be done with people here on the DDBB.
I really don't enjoy being in a full or even partial lesson program. Once a week is about all I can handle. In the past i have done some intensives like 10 days of lessons in a row, and I did find that beneficial. I think I would like trailering to a clinic, and I want to go to some schooling shows too.
I want to take it easy, slow, and not overthink it. Yes, i too overthink things!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Red's Mom wrote:I am thinking of trying to find someone via internet to send video to critique, and give me ideas on what to work on. It could probably even be done with people here on the DDBB.

That worked well for me, and would have worked even better if I'd known what kind of feedback I was looking for.

I think video lessons are a good way to take lessons from instructors who don't get what it's like to be older and more concerned with living to ride another day than with accomplishing more, faster. It's a good way to get feedback on what we should be working on, while at the same time being able to opt out of any suggestions that don't seem like a good idea for us right now.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:47 pm

kande50 wrote:
Red's Mom wrote:I am thinking of trying to find someone via internet to send video to critique, and give me ideas on what to work on. It could probably even be done with people here on the DDBB.

That worked well for me, and would have worked even better if I'd known what kind of feedback I was looking for.

I think video lessons are a good way to take lessons from instructors who don't get what it's like to be older and more concerned with living to ride another day than with accomplishing more, faster. It's a good way to get feedback on what we should be working on, while at the same time being able to opt out of any suggestions that don't seem like a good idea for us right now.

That made me laugh out loud :lol:

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:03 am

Wow, things on the board are getting exciting. I’ll have to read it twice day to keep up with everyone!

Congratulations on your garland, Flight!

Red’s mom, I remember you posting a pic of your TB somewhere but can’t find it. I remember because he looks a lot like a TB that I had many years ago. I will try to dig up a photograph because the resemblance was amazing.I hope you can get something going as far as video lessons.

Linden, of course, I love your horses!! The turquoise matchy matchy on the mare was fun to see. I look forward to your progress and posts.

And am glad to see posts from exvet, too.

DJR, Dresseur, Mountineer, Rye, Piedmont, Gwen, Abby, Chisamba...I am keeping up with you all and am loving it. I need to start replying to posts quicker since we have so many on board now.

I had my third lesson with the new trainer today and couldn’t be happier. Rocky is still hyped up in the new surroundings which makes me a bit nervous. I have to concentrate to ride her and have been so focused that I can barely make use of the mirrors. Although, I did catch a glimpse or two of her and I was surprised at how well she is carrying herself (when I don’t get in the way!). We are spending most of the time just getting her relaxed enough to work. In doing trot walk transitions she was hopping behind which is new...It’s because I was not giving her enough room in the inside rein. I Have had this problem for the last several years, ever since I got so violently bucked off another mare. I explained it in all the gory detail to the trainer in the beginning. I reminded her again today, and she said not to worry, she wasn’t going to let me come off... I have a strong sense that this trainer understands horses and riders very, very well.

I have been getting my 5 rides in a week and doing specific stretches to loosen up my old tendons and ligaments. I am excited about the ways things are going and it’s very motivating.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:24 am

Ah thank you demi. For those who use to bitch about my endless pictures, at least I'm not polluting the Internet highway with endless photos. Lost my built-in photog so perhaps my infrequent posts wont' inflame and insight negative diatribe. Regardless, I'm psyched to be able to have real goals again. I've been riding, never stopped but most don't give a damn about what you've done with a broodmare in between foals, etc. I owe a ton to my stinker pony which is why despite outside pressure he'll have a home with me for life; but, to be totally honest, it's so nice to be where I am now - with prospects full of promise and if these guys don't make it........well there will be more to come at least until I can no longer throw my leg over the saddle.

PS. Linden, as I've said before and I'll say it again, it's so nice to see you back into the thick of things. You're due some good horsey fun. Hang tight and hopefully we'll both be back 'in the day' soon. Nice, nice pics.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:42 am

exvet wrote:Ah thank you demi. For those who use to bitch about my endless pictures, at least I'm not polluting the Internet highway with endless photos.

Hard to believe that anyone would think it was a good idea to waste time bitching about posts that were interesting to others, instead of just scrolling on by. I never saw any posts like that so am guessing it was via PM's?

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm

exvet wrote:Ah thank you demi. For those who use to bitch about my endless pictures, at least I'm not polluting the Internet highway with endless photos. Lost my built-in photog so perhaps my infrequent posts wont' inflame and insight negative diatribe. Regardless, I'm psyched to be able to have real goals again. I've been riding, never stopped but most don't give a damn about what you've done with a broodmare in between foals, etc. I owe a ton to my stinker pony which is why despite outside pressure he'll have a home with me for life; but, to be totally honest, it's so nice to be where I am now - with prospects full of promise and if these guys don't make it........well there will be more to come at least until I can no longer throw my leg over the saddle.

PS. Linden, as I've said before and I'll say it again, it's so nice to see you back into the thick of things. You're due some good horsey fun. Hang tight and hopefully we'll both be back 'in the day' soon. Nice, nice pics.

Really?! I missed the nastiness. I remember loving all your pics. I am friends with Tamara and so followed you and your stinker pony with interest and affection. Post away! I really like seeing peoples photos. I have noticed over the years that the people most critical of others photos or videos never seem to get around to posting photos or videos of themselves >;->

I am glad you have goals again. I too am trying not to wait for the other shoe to drop and am hoping that my surgeries and life changing events are behind me now for a while and that I can just ride, experiment with the Legerete work, haul down to Jeremy, and be motivated and inspired by all of you. I have tried to get in to the competition arena for years and years and years and either I lose the horse, or I am a caregiver for a parent, or we move, or husband sick, go years on crutches, or all of the above endlessly. I am so ready to just be a horse girl and take my nice reject/projects in to the show ring.

And trust me I will post photos >;->

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:34 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 pm

My goals were as follows:
- ride at least 3x a week - check! I rode 4+ times a week every week except one, where I only rode twice.
- consolidate the gains in the connection and develop Bliss's fitness and stamina for the collected work. - check! He has gotten a lot stronger as evidenced by significant improvements in transitions.
- continue to improve the SI - it's now show ready! Woohoo!
- start incorporating travers, renvers, and HP into the mix - check! Working on these a few days a week
- school walk pirouettes at least once a week - check! I worked on these a couple times a week with the result that they are starting to approach show readiness.
- continue to challenge his suppleness with lots of serpentines and change of bend - check! These are pretty foundational so I lots of this every ride.
- RIDE every single corner. Every ride. - probably didn't do as well here as I could have.

His ability to collect has improved markedly over this challenge. I can now shorten the canter without losing any quality and do true balanced canter to walk transitions where he stays on the aids and doesn't fall on his face. His ability to sit has now surpassed Prussia's, which is pretty cool. His understanding of canter aids has also developed hugely. I can now do true simple changes on figures and along the wall. Which is fantastic and exciting. :) Next I need to be able to do them anywhere, any time, with diminishing numbers of walk steps.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:05 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:51 pm

I rode this morning in the cold!! (Well, for Texas, 49 is cold!!) The vet came out this afternoon for vaccinations. Rocky always gets a stiff neck with vacs so I won’t be riding her for a few days.

I didn’t have any specific goals this time. I was waiting for Emma to recover from the sweet itch and ended up going full swing with Rocky.

Without any goals, I still ended up riding 5 days a week for the last 6 weeks, getting started in a weekly lesson program with a good GP trainer, and improving my fitness enough that the trainer noticed it by our third lesson.

I have a specific some specific goals for the next round. Can’t wait!

As many others have expressed, I find this training board inspirational. I can’t say it enough. I feel very lucky, as a lower level rider, to read about the thoughts and ways of the upper level riders/trainers we have here. And for me, every single picture of the DDBB horses and riders is a gift.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Ryeissa wrote:...

Goals for Nov coming soon, goal 1 is to keep my confidence in the cold with a good but spunky horse....

I’ll join you in that one, Ryeissa! Gotta love those half-Arabs.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:23 pm

demi wrote:I rode this morning in the cold!! (Well, for Texas, 49 is cold!!) The vet came out this afternoon for vaccinations. Rocky always gets a stiff neck with vacs so I won’t be riding her for a few days.

I always plan to ride ride after the vet does the shots. I tack up and get on right after he is done. I hit the trail, move the neck around gratuitously... up, down, side, side, etc. That helps with the stiff neck from the shots for my horse.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:39 pm

With my crazy schedule, I gave up making concrete goals outloud. What did I accomplish these 2 months?

Tio: 1) I took him off my farm AND rode him without getting bucked off.
2) I can ask for the canter, either lead, out of a forward trot, with just a hh on the outside rein and a light squeeze with my inside leg.
3) I can ride him without lunging first, although in-hand work is critical to success.
4) I can trot him over a series of low jumps and
5) I can ride him out in the hay field at something other than a walk!

Rudy: Because my riding is inconsistent, I spend the bulk of my time re-affirming the basics both for him and for myself. This has resulted in very nice work when I do ask for a more advanced movements like si to hi, si to hp, rb-trot, etc. It has also helped to develop mediums in all 3 gaits although he can only hold it for a few strides or so in the trot. My walk work over elevated cavelletti has really helped me to confirm that he is truly forward AND I think it is strengthening his back/loins. When I started that project, he would tend to hesitate before stepping over, but now he does not change tempo or rhythm at all if he is truly listening to leg and seat. For myself, I do a lot of no-stirrup work in all 3 gaits and focus on staying in the middle even if he is crooked himself. By staying straight and flexible in my hips while strong in my abs, I can influence him to use his hind legs symmetrically and to be a little quicker behind. It has all been a great deal of fun and I look forward to winter.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:40 am

I just want to clarify that no, no one was nasty here. I am referring to the UDBB days and for many years, I found that to be a great place to visit, receive support and share information. It was over the last two years of that board's existence that I started receiving 'heat' both in a particular thread and through PMs that took issue with all the pics.

Speaking of life changes and rolling with the punches but never losing sight of what is important, Abby, I heard from Tamara just the other day. I too am glad that I'm at a point where i can look forward to having more tangible (to me) goals with my riding; but most of all I'm very grateful to still be riding and owning horses.

Now my more immediate goal, truth be told, is to see if I can snag someone to take some video of my riding on each the mustang and Jr. I have a feeling I'll be shocked both for the good (the horses) and the bad (haven't had a lesson in close to a year). Until then, I'll just keep listening to what the horses are telling me as best I can.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:51 am

exvet wrote:Ibut most of all I'm very grateful to still be riding and owning horses.

So so true. I also love your photos and updates. Would love to see photo evidence of the Mr Stang and Junior surprising (not) you with their splendidness.

Rosie, you did super well with this challenge! Me, not so much but I am back at it...

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Wow, I enjoy reading all the posts, it is inspirational. I too am so happy to have a horse to ride and progress with. I so totally get the older rider issues! Fear from severe falls, been there, DOING that! Body aches and pains..., finding the energy.... thanks to Flight for letting me know about the DDBB! As an old member of the old UDBB, I am happy too reconnect with all of you from the old board! I find photos and videos to be the most fun part, and I am a bit disappointed that it has not become easier to post photos/ videos. I would post more of both if it were easier. Finding a photog is difficult too. Ride on, and I can't wait for the Nov-Dec goals.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Exvet have to agree. I feel grateful to still have horses and be riding still. I have always had one "good" horse and a couple of projects. Considering that all the horses I currently own were acquired in the 500 to 800 aka kill buyer price range, I feel blessed that they have taught me much and still allowed me to learn and progress in their own time.

I didn't quite make all my goals for September and October but have still progressed so I am content.

I sm happy to hear how well those struggling with soundness are improving.

I am grateful for those who shares photos and video.

For those with winter ahead, goal on

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Congrats, everyone, we made it to the end of October! Glad to see rehab/lameness progress from many of you, and love the photos.

Here's what I said I'd do:

Ponichiwa wrote:Man. Am I ever glad July and August are over. It's been a heck of a stress the last 8 weeks. Dresseur and Tsavo, sorry to hear about the lameness struggles. Best of luck with their resolution!

My goals are different than they would have been had we not been hit with a hurricane. Kiwi and I have lost quite a bit of fitness in the nearly 2 weeks of off time we've had, so here's our new set:
- Ride 4x/week
- (Fitness allowing) Spend some real time in the canter to make it feel a bit less fragile. Went to a schooling show near the end of August at 3rd and ended up with flying changes everywhere thanks to a bit of tension due to environment and not being able to settle it down in the canter. Flying. Changes. Everywhere. So the new plan is to canter around and change things (like bend, stride length, etc.) and keep the lead I started on unless expressly desired to change.
- Me: 20 squats while brushing teeth. 15k steps/day. Choose more salads.

I actually did all of these things (minus the 15k steps/day-- currently averaging 12.5k). I've been doing an endless loop of halfpass to wall, counter canter to 2nd quarterline, halfpass to wall exercise and had 0 unintentional flying changes. Zero!! All flying changes were on purpose!! AAAHHH I AM A MASTER TRAINER.

So despite thinking I'd made no progress and I'm doomed to be a failure and should just quit horses altogether (see my previous post on this topic), it's not actually that bad. Go figure, huh?

See ya in the next thread.

Linden16
Herd Member

Postby Linden16 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:09 am

0F684DDC-AA04-4034-BC33-0269CFB21011.jpeg
0F684DDC-AA04-4034-BC33-0269CFB21011.jpeg (189.66 KiB) Viewed 18769 times
0F684DDC-AA04-4034-BC33-0269CFB21011.jpeg
0F684DDC-AA04-4034-BC33-0269CFB21011.jpeg (189.66 KiB) Viewed 18769 times
Great to hear everyone’s updates for the month! I don’t believe anyone has ever had a very nasty thread on this board so I can only assume it was from the old UDBB where the sneakiness was rampant. Except, the more pics you post, the holier we all are. I doubt anyone would take offence to your updates and photo journals! I love them ❤️

Onto my update:
Both young horses are doing great, both growing like weeds. Coal Harbour is over 17.1 now, and still bum high. Ehrenhafte is 16.2 and bum high as well. She’s come so far with her anxiety/shyness in the indoor. I actually rode her during a wind storm (70 km/h!) and she was absolutely brave.

Coal Harbour continues to inspire me and commands respect for his size and temperament. There’s something about him that exudes star status. I only hope I can live up to his talent.mill be starting in hand work with them next week- introducing them to half steps and such. So excited!
Attachments
3A585BF3-9F7F-485C-BF5F-2A42DCECAA80.jpeg
3A585BF3-9F7F-485C-BF5F-2A42DCECAA80.jpeg (203.51 KiB) Viewed 18769 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:30 am

Beautiful horses Linden. Great to see you riding again.

I agree, I love people's photos! The more the merrier I say.

Linden16
Herd Member

Postby Linden16 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:42 am

Flight wrote:Beautiful horses Linden. Great to see you riding again.

I agree, I love people's photos! The more the merrier I say.

me too! I love seeing people's photos, they're all inspiring to me. Thanks ExVet and Flight for the kind words :)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 am

Ponichiwa wrote:I actually did all of these things (minus the 15k steps/day-- currently averaging 12.5k). I've been doing an endless loop of halfpass to wall, counter canter to 2nd quarterline, halfpass to wall exercise and had 0 unintentional flying changes. Zero!! All flying changes were on purpose!! AAAHHH I AM A MASTER TRAINER.

So despite thinking I'd made no progress and I'm doomed to be a failure and should just quit horses altogether (see my previous post on this topic), it's not actually that bad. Go figure, huh?

See ya in the next thread.

Hey that sounds great, Ponichiwa!

When I read these things it always reminds me that some of the better lessons I have had were after not riding for several days. I am not sure what that meant but I was going thru the work in my head in the off days (aka brooding endlessly LOL). Maybe you do that also?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:08 am

Tsavo wrote:When I read these things it always reminds me that some of the better lessons I have had were after not riding for several days. I am not sure what that meant but I was going thru the work in my head in the off days (aka brooding endlessly LOL). Maybe you do that also?

Latent learning. I think horses do it, too.

And then there's also the expectation/perception thing that makes it hard for us to evaluate our own work, which is why it's good to have someone else evaluate it on a regular basis, too. And even then, if you ask 10 people.... :-)

I find that if I take a break from riding that when I get back on it feels so good that I'm much more likely to be excited about what I'm getting, so I try to stay focused on getting out there and riding rather than trying to guess at whether we made any progress.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Posted on wrong thread. Moved to correct one.

Return to “Dressage Training”