Test Questions:4-1

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
HafDressage
Herd Member

Test Questions:4-1

Postby HafDressage » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:12 am

I have a couple of "how to ride the movement in a show" questions about 4th 1. As we're working on 4th level stuff, I want to have some of this in my head for how the test should be correctly ridden.

1. Movement 5: X-G shoulder-in right, C track right. I know if I were on a long side, I would straighten before a corner, BUT on the centerline, I'm not sure whether to straighten or maintain bend and make the turn. What do the judges want here?
*And as a note of slight annoyance, why couldn't they stipulate that in tests?

2. Movement 24: H-X-F: Change rein, three single flying changes of lead, near first quarterline, near X, and near last quarterline. So, should I think about riding 4's or 5's (maybe 5's for my guy) here or is it just like okay get 3 of them done. Meaning what would be best way to execute this movement for the best score possible?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I read through the other 4th level tests, but I'll start here. :)

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Test Questions:4-1

Postby Flight » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 am

I'm looking to do this test next year (or very similar). I have an idea how I would ride it, but don't know for sure so will wait to see your answers.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:31 pm

For SI X-G, my understanding is that the movement (SI) ends at G, not at the short side. Therefore, you straighten at G, then track right.

For the 3 flying changes, they are done not as tempis (on purpose) but as 3 separate changes done when the horse is best set up for them, and as close to the landmarks as possible. They’ll end up being every 4-6 strides, but the goal isn’t to keep the striding between consistent. The goal is to do three independent, clean & straight changes.

Disclaimer: I’m not showing 4th yet, but I am schooling 4th and this is what my instructor has indicated as being correct.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm

DJR is correct.

For the shoulder in, straighten at G, track right. Be very, very careful to not push the horse off centerline as you straighten - I have lots points doing that. :lol:

For the changes, they want to see the changes evenly spaced, organized and straight changes. I treated them as 4 tempis and got 8s. So, you want to have the changes as close to the letters as possible (quarter-line, X, quarter-line). That will give you maximum points. However, if you just do 3 clean changes where ever, you will still get a 5, 5.5 or even a 6 depending on how generous the judge is. Word of advice, do not do the first change right out of the corner... wait and organize, then change, it shows that you have control over the changes.
Last edited by Dresseur on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:08 pm

My strategy for the changes (when I rode this test several years ago) was to space the changes very evenly and center them in the arena-- quarterline, centerline, quarterline. As Dresseur says, it shows control of the changes and gives you some points for polish if executed well.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:38 am

Got it! Thank you so much for the responses!!!! :D

SO I read 4-1 last night before I posted and was like okay this is doable and were not thaaaat far off from this...BUT then I read 4-3 and died a little on the inside. Dear lord 4-3 has A LOT going on in there. Sooo many flying changes. So...it will take some time before I have questions about that. :lol:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Halfdressage, I am excited for you that 4-1 is looking reasonable! That is a good development. Look forward to hearing more about your journey and what has helped you and your partner.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:38 am

HafDressage wrote:Got it! Thank you so much for the responses!!!! :D

SO I read 4-1 last night before I posted and was like okay this is doable and were not thaaaat far off from this...BUT then I read 4-3 and died a little on the inside.

:lol: :lol: :lol: same here with ours!!

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Me too!! Working on 4-1...... and 4-3 seems SOOOO far away!
Good Luck!!

Return to “Dressage Training”