Interesting observations that I learned from Mark Russell

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Interesting observations that I learned from Mark Russell

Postby khall » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:41 pm

I remember Mark saying that as we get our horses to lift from the base of the neck and engage their thoracic sling across the top of their withers they will actually narrow as the shoulder structure drops down and the withers rise. I just tucked it away for future reference.

I have a wither tracing from Rip and his sister Gaila from a couple of years ago. Big broad mutton withers on both of them! Took a tracing on them both recently and Rip is 1" narrower each side and Gaila is 1/2" narrower each side. I know I do not have any issues with the saddle sliding forward on Rip like I used to and his entire carriage has changed so drastically since Mark's death thanks to the training Mark shared with me!

Hilary Clayton also addressed this: http://dressageheadlines.com/articles/d ... ance-horse’s-chest-sling-muscles-biomechanic-research-hilary-clayton

Has anyone else heard of this phenomenon? I had never heard this before learning it from Mark.

silk
500 post plus club

Re: Interesting observations that I learned from Mark Russell

Postby silk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Not an answer, but, I think I saw this being discussed on Jilly's fb page? Isn't she the best?!

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 pm

This is also discussed at length by Phillippe Karl and the Legerete school.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:03 pm

silk that was me that started the topic on Jillian's FB page. I had just ridden with her in November and we were working on some different things prepping for piaffe with Rip. I shared with her the exercises that Mark showed me with Rip that made such a difference. Rip had to be shown how to elevate out of the base of the neck with the bridle. Once he learned that coupled with all the other in hand work he has made great strides forward progression with him.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:18 pm

khall wrote:silk that was me that started the topic on Jillian's FB page. I had just ridden with her in November and we were working on some different things prepping for piaffe with Rip. I shared with her the exercises that Mark showed me with Rip that made such a difference. Rip had to be shown how to elevate out of the base of the neck with the bridle. Once he learned that coupled with all the other in hand work he has made great strides forward progression with him.

khall could you share that exercise? :D

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:17 am

lorilu you teach them to lift by the bit/bridle with upward flexion. It really is best to see it demonstrated rather than written word. I had seen Mark do this several times but it was not until he walked me through it that it made sense to me. Rip was very much invested in his chest, quite a dominant horse who did not want to let it go, this lifting and me controlling the lift was a game changer for us.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 am

khall wrote:silk that was me that started the topic on Jillian's FB page. I had just ridden with her in November and we were working on some different things prepping for piaffe with Rip. I shared with her the exercises that Mark showed me with Rip that made such a difference. Rip had to be shown how to elevate out of the base of the neck with the bridle. Once he learned that coupled with all the other in hand work he has made great strides forward progression with him.

I love the transfer-ability of these lightbulb moments, whatever they may be for any given horse or rider. Once the horse/rider "gets it!" it is very easy to replicate in other situations/movements.

I didn't get to spend much time with Jill but have ridden with Peggy for many years, was there as her working student in 2012.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:36 pm

khall, that is a very interesting observation! I have heard of this before, but it was from a Samur-schooled trainer and from PK's writing.

In 3 years of working with Emi, I have noticed that her pecs have grown quite a bit and now "match" each other better than when we started. Her neck as also smoothed out to a better wedge (it used to be wider near the head and then narrow before widening again).

Return to “Dressage Training”