Get me out of training level!

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Get me out of training level!

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
Rosie B wrote:Or better yet you could NOT show at all but continue to progress in your schooling and delightedly tell all and sundry that you are schooling 2nd/3rd/4th, etc!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

Uh... this hits a bit close to home. But think of the cost savings on shows!

It is the cheaper approach for sure....and yeah, it's fair to point a finger at me for this!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm

And me as well. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I haven't worn my whites in 3 years.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:17 pm

I don't think a show record is necessary if people post pictures and videos.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:13 am

OK, show number three. Different venue, different judge. Still schooling tho.

Judge loooooved him. Who doesn't love a giant baby whale blubbering around? :lol:
68% TL2 2nd place.
66% TL3 but DQ'd because of THREE errors of course - WITH a reader! :lol:
1: my fault - didn't read the test
2 and 3: I asked for canter, got NOTHING, then gave him a whap, so got bucks. Decided a do-over on those circles was in order. Got DQ'd.

He was SO behind the leg. But he's improved, he traveled well (with a companion), he wasn't spooky just whinnying and stiff, and I worked really hard on the canter deps and he got all of them on the correct lead!

Also my kind friends helped me braid, called my test, and babysat me and him all day. I came away very happy and supported, despite the video being agonizing to watch! :mrgreen:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Sounds like progress.

The videos are ALWAYS agonizing to watch immediately after. You need to allow them to mature for a few weeks!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:54 am

Ponichiwa wrote:
Rosie B wrote:Or better yet you could NOT show at all but continue to progress in your schooling and delightedly tell all and sundry that you are schooling 2nd/3rd/4th, etc!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

And the time and energy savings, because if scores are going to be used as some kind of a measure they probably should come from recognized shows, which are not only expensive, but often a long haul, too.

Ryeissa
500 post plus club

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm

kande50 wrote:
Ponichiwa wrote:

And the time and energy savings, because if scores are going to be used as some kind of a measure they probably should come from recognized shows, which are not only expensive, but often a long haul, too.

I have found schooling shows to be very valuable, there is a debate on quality but I can usually tell when it's fair or not. I can see those with less experience might have more trouble understanding things.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 pm

Hm, I could have entered 1st level at the last show and came 2nd out of 2. And come to think I could have been 1st out of 0 at 2nd, 3rd or even 4th! :twisted:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Xanthoria wrote:Hm, I could have entered 1st level at the last show and came 2nd out of 2. And come to think I could have been 1st out of 0 at 2nd, 3rd or even 4th! :twisted:

The best part of dressage shows is that they're so much more about the scores than the placings. They'd be even better if the scoring could somehow be more objective (and if they were all held inside so we didn't have to ride out in the hot sun) but as long as we understand their limitations they can be a lot of fun.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Sounds like progress.

The videos are ALWAYS agonizing to watch immediately after. You need to allow them to mature for a few weeks!

The cure for that is to tape the at home practice sessions, and then you'll already be in shape to watch the show footage. :-)

Grandiose
Greenie

Postby Grandiose » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:36 pm

No advice from me, but as I've been stuck at training and 1st my entire dressage career I'm hoping you bust the 2nd barrier. The only times I rode 2nd level was on the trainers horses, I never succeeded with my own.

So thanks for this thread and please keep updating! ☺

Return to “Dressage Training”