Get some spring in your step - March/April Goals & Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Get some spring in your step - March/April Goals & Progress

Postby demi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm

yes that is a big change! The good news is that winters are great. And Dallas isn't nearly as humid in the summer as other parts of Texas. My inlaws live in Farmer's Branch(Dallas) and we are 3 1/2 hours south. There is a lot of dressage stuff in the Dallas area. Check out LTR Dressage clinic schedule. It has Christian Bachinger listed, as well as a lot of other interesting trainers.

I can sure imagine that this won't be an easy change, but I hope it is a very positive one for you.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Sounds exciting and like an interesting new life chapter, Chisamba! I was in Austin recently for work and was thinking about how nice the area is. You could be very pleasantly surprised by Dallas!

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Oh wow that sounds massive Chisamba. Why are you moving?

demi

Postby demi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Flight, I like your latest vids. thanks for sharing. Of course I saw that he was a little BTV but no big deal. He wasn’t cranked in and he was very relaxed. I think you’re just working on refinement at this point. I wish I was in your position!

I’ve been thinking about the first clip in relation to my own horses. I don’t worry as much about BTV as I use to. I think in many cases, it’s just part of both horse and rider figuring out where they need to be. At this time, my own thinking (as a low level amateur) goes through my head like this: oops, a little BTV, try a little more leg...oh, horse is not going forward enough to my leg, I’ll give her a little longer rein, then more leg...opps, horse went forward but too much rein, now I’ve lost engagement...

I’m off to ride my own horse now. Lesson tomorrow!Yay.

Later, if I feel brave enough, I’ll try to find and post what Ernst Hoyos says about BTV. I have the greatest respect for this former SRS trainer. I know some people were outraged about what he says but I wasn’t. Sometimes our minds get too narrow in response to what we see happening in the horse world. Certainly rolkur is not a good thing, and I don’t want to go anywhere near it, but BTV is not necessarily rolkur.

Not sure I should press the submit buttom :?

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:37 pm

I agree Demi and while it's not the ideal posture being BTV, it's a far cry from the leaning back hauling a horses face into it's chest like extreme Rolkur.
I find it's as you described in your second paragraph, it's not static, it's always working it out.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 am

I don't worry about moments of BTV during schooling. Neither does my instructor. The focus is on proper use of the hind leg, suppleness, relaxation, etc. Of course we aim for vertical or slightly IFV, but sometimes they duck behind for a variety of reasons (and sometimes they are evading IFV, too). It's all part of the process. And, I agree, it's a far cry from hyperflexion!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:18 am

Wow Chisamba, that will be a big change, but I hope it's positive for you. Are you taking Deneb and Kimba?

Jingles for everyone who's horses are giving them grief with the various maladies. No fun!

We are moving on Friday. I'm surprised that I actually made it through the whole month, but with all the money I've spent getting kitted out for showing, I figured I'd better save a little somewhere.

Yesterday we hauled out to the indoor, and the owner was riding his mule. Annabelle was :eek: It was actually kind of funny, because she wasn't scared, just giving it the Mare Stare and then flipping me the bird when I tried to get more than 15% of her attention. She is getting a little more hot and saucy now that she's stronger and more fit.

After the mule left, she was quite full of herself, but we put it to good use and got some pretty decent work. Stretchy trot is starting to come along. Tonight she was much more within her own brain, and we had a really nice ride. She is starting to get a lot more fun to ride, getting more in front of my leg, and feeling like there is some adjustability. The left lead canter is still pretty motorcycle-y most of the time, but there are moments when she figures out the balance, and I know they'll become more and more frequent. Of course I brought the SoloShot out tonight and got all set up then realized that the tag wasn't charged. We'll try again tomorrow for some video.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:25 am

Goodness, Chisamba, that's a big move!

Well, my trainer/barn manager got resoundingly bucked off yesterday, dislocated her ankle and broke her fibula. They've pinned and plated her back together, but she's going to be off for a while. She said she'd actually had quite a nice, productive ride and was just walking on a loose rein and digging in her pocket for sugar when the horse just turned into a bronco from out of nowhere. I'd said to her at the weekend that there was no way in hell I was getting on that horse, ever, as I thought she had a mean and unpredictable streak. I'd rather not have been proved right.

So I guess Laddie is going to get some time off while I head to England on Monday. He's been going beautifully, so I don't think it will do him any harm as he has worked hard all winter. I feel bad abandoning my barn mates to the extra work, but there's not a lot I can do about it at this point.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:42 am

Goodness Chisamba... I wish you well!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:03 am

I hope to start riding soon. At least a walking program since horsie and I have done little for nearly 2 years. Since my tailbone surgery, I have porked out and subsequently don't fit in my saddle very well :P . The butt if quite picky and doesn't like to by squished up to the cantle. Since I still haven't decided whether I will sell her or not (I am trying really hard NOT to do that) and since I have managed to royally screw up my back (2 bulging discs impinging on the nerve roots), I didn't want to go on a saddle search and spend $$$ shipping and doing trials for something that my butt fits in. So...I ordered this knock-off treeless saddle from India off of Amazon for a whopping $125. I have to have some kind of seat structure. Rear end doesn't like bareback. The saddle arrived today. It looks like somebody kicked the box all the way from India. Luckily, should be nothing breakable. Also in the interim, in browsing the Dressage Extension ads, I found that Acavallo makes a seat saver that has the coccyx cutout. I am going to order that soon...it will cost more than the saddle :lol: .

Riding won't be very consistent for the time being since I need to help my Mom a lot since Dad passed away but I hope to be able to get in 2-3 days a week. It will be as much for mental health as anything. I took some time off the first of March and got some quality walk in-hand work done. She was doing very well with her half passes. One day, I even got some very nice half steps. With relaxation...bonus. I was surprised she offered so softly. Only asked for a few steps but she seemed quite proud of herself.

However, her BFF that she has been boarded next to for oh, 11 ish years, is moving to the other side of the property and out to pasture on Saturday. She may not even be ridable for a while. She will get a new neighbor but it won't be her BFF. We will see how distressed she gets. Fingers crossed she hits it off with Hunny (new to her neighbor).

Chisamba...what a trying time. Jingles that every thing works out as it needs to.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Goodness, Chisamba, that's a big move!

Well, my trainer/barn manager got resoundingly bucked off yesterday, dislocated her ankle and broke her fibula. They've pinned and plated her back together, but she's going to be off for a while. She said she'd actually had quite a nice, productive ride and was just walking on a loose rein and digging in her pocket for sugar when the horse just turned into a bronco from out of nowhere. I'd said to her at the weekend that there was no way in hell I was getting on that horse, ever, as I thought she had a mean and unpredictable streak. I'd rather not have been proved right.

So I guess Laddie is going to get some time off while I head to England on Monday. He's been going beautifully, so I don't think it will do him any harm as he has worked hard all winter. I feel bad abandoning my barn mates to the extra work, but there's not a lot I can do about it at this point.

While I didn't get as badly hurt (bruised, maybe cracked ribs, soft tissue damage upper right arm w. teeney bone chip, ginormous hip bruising), that's exactly how my idiot horse hurt himself 2 years ago. He'd worked nicely, I was cooling out on the buckle (I should KNOW BETTER with him!), and then the garbage cans (that he'd seen every week for 9 years) ATTACKED!!!! Riiight. I ended up on the hard, hard ground, he bolted off and did a 90 degree turn at full gallop on pavement. He didn't fall, but he damaged that hind suspensory and I've been dealing with that ever since. Sigh. So sorry for your trainer! That leg will probably heal more quickly than my upper arm did. I had limited motion in that arm for nearly 6 months.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Does Capstone still post anymore? I think she's near Dallas and may be a help in settling in.

I actually got my start in dressage via lessons with Lyndon and Julie of LTR Dressage mentioned above back when they were located in the Houston area; they're both consummate horsepeople and have an active and healthy business north of Dallas. I think they were looking to add another assistant trainer at one point. Might be worth checking them out. https://www.lyndonrifedressage.com/

Dallas has a fairly active dressage scene and gets some big-name clinicians as well as shows and USDF educational opportunities. Plenty of barns although there is some competition with other disciplines for clientele (H/J, reining, etc.).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Well, why are we moving? I don't think any of us considered New Jersey our forever home when we came here. Very expensive, high insurance, high cost of living, hot summers cold winters. Hubby was offered a decent job. So we move.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:41 pm

I'm beyond stressed. Safely placing some horses is daunting. Also as a person with Aspergers syndrome finding a secure group of friends who understand, are not offended, and have humorous responses is exceptionally difficult. Selling the farm in a depressed realty market when we bought in a "bull market" is adding to the difficulty. I do need to maintain focus on the positive. There is plenty of upside

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Chisamba wrote:Well, why are we moving? I don't think any of us considered New Jersey our forever home when we came here. Very expensive, high insurance, high cost of living, hot summers cold winters.

We plan on leaving NJ too in the next few years for the exact reasons you sited. We haven't figured out where yet. I hear you on the stress level. Sending you best wishes for a smooth transition to your next destination.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:21 am

demi wrote:I was really tired yesterday evening from non-horse things, and didn’t feel like riding. But I decided I’d just get on to stretch out my legs and hips, and also just to get in my 5 X/week. Well, I ended up having a really nice ride.

Good for you to get out there at all. I think it gets harder and harder as the years pass, and 5 rides a week is a quite a challenge (or at least it would be for me).

But yes, if I can get into the saddle I too, will wake up and usually go on to have a really nice ride. I think it's because of the perception thing (going from tired and unenthusiastic to energized), but some of my best rides have been the ones that took the most motivation to get started.

That said, I just took the entire winter off from riding and am just now getting interested in getting back on again.

This was the first winter in 30 years that I didn't ride all winter, and to tell the truth it was a nice break and I didn't miss it at all. Now that spring's finally here I am getting the urge to saddle up again, although I don't feel any urgency to get out there and get started.

I'm finding it kind of ironic that I feel like I have a much better idea of what I'd need to do to progress further--now that I no longer have the drive to care whether I progress further or not. :-)

So my April goal is my usual one: get out of the chair (or off the pottery wheel) and saddle up a horse and ride!

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Xanthoria wrote:I think last time I posted I was trying to get leg yield. Well the baby brontosaurus decided sideways is EVERYTHING and he's a noodly mess. Last lesson after we started some shoulder fore quite successfully for the first time, trainer got on and declared "no more lateral stuff!" until he's moving forward and straight. We've also worked on the sprawly nosedive canter. So we're only allowed to do PERFECT canter departs and only allowed to canter for 3 strides. Because frankly that's the longest I can hold him up.

Naturally it's been raining so arena locked (HATE this policy) so we decided to put a kimblewick on and show him what the Pacific ocean is. He was aghasted.

First, he was aghasted on the way to the beach:

Then we got there and he wanted to RUN! RUN AWAY!:

We walked around a bunch and he calmed a bit:

...but on the whole we left while we were still alive.

Oh HAAAAAAA! You really needed to put a warning on that post, I seriously spit my toast and coffee everywhere.

But that last pic looks great! Woot!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:35 pm

Yay - on two counts:

1. I had a SUPER ride on Panache, the first really good ride since re-starting him at the beginning of March. He had some spooks at first in the arena, then settled down to work with really nice longe work. When I got in the saddle, he was nothing but relaxed and happy to work, no "coiled spring" feeling. Happy about that!

2. I hand-walked Jet today and he's much happier to move than a week ago. There's no more swelling inside his LH leg up at the groin, just preputial swelling (gravity-induced). So I put him on the longe line to walk and trot more freely. He walked great, then I quietly asked "trr-rot" and SHAZAM he was all amok bucking, kicking, galloping, and generally thoroughly enjoying himself. What a joy to see. I of course asked him to tone it down about ten notches, but he was very happy to move in both directions, tracking up well with that LH. I think he's definitely on the mend!

Meanwhile, we took the 1-1/2 hr drive to see Finn (my 4 yr old Shire/Hano gelding) who has now had one month of harness training. Today was his fourth day hooked to the training cart, and his first day going around the huge track the trainer has (the first three hitches were done in a smaller corral). Finn was nothing but happy & relaxed, even with his first trot while hitched to the cart. I really like this trainer and the way he progresses the horses through each stage. Finn has two more months with him, maybe three, which is expensive but worth it given the improvements I've seen after just 30 days. I want Finn to be my lifelong horse so spending more time (and money!!) on a proper foundation now will pay off in the long run.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:32 pm

At the half way mark, I've been having some great rides.

Miro is staying sound and happy - the blip about mounting seems to be solved for now. He's back in full-time turnout and so far, so good. I'm incredibly happy with the feel. That being said, Andrea came last week and we had a big discussion about how short his neck is when I'm riding. I've been aware of it, and trying to fix it, but apparently not anywhere good enough. It's odd, because he doesn't curl in a rollkur sense - where his neck curls down and his nose touches his chest. The angle of the neck is good, and I can see the crown piece of his bridle - and because I don't have mirrors, I thought that I had fixed the issue. But, he's closing up at the throat-latch and bringing himself BTV. I'm not holding him there - I can always let go of the rein, and he keeps the same posture. But, as Andrea succinctly put it - "that's a problem". I thought I was holding him to my back, which is why nothing changed, because I can hh and let him down and out - but again, he's staying closed in the throat latch. So, basically, I'm riding forward - and trying to learn how to push him out to the bridle. In my lesson, I felt glimpses of him drawing out - and that paved the way for a great weekend of riding.

When I went down to Andrea's this week, I rode 7 horses. One of her young horses is very similar to Miro in that he can curl and his rhythm is all over the place (luckily M doesn't have the rhythm issue). I have struggled riding this horse... and I usually feel insecure in the saddle on him - like the slightest move on his part will topple me. Andrea has slowed the tempo way down and was as she was leaving the arena with her horse, she was telling me about how when she has him where she likes him, there is a pulse in his back, like a heartbeat or sine wave. So, I got to experimenting (as much as you can on a 4 year old that has a spook to him), and I felt like things were flowing, and I could feel a steady pulse or rise and fall in his back that I could work a bit to keep the rhythm. We cantered in the first direction, and when I brought him down, the first thing I felt was that the pulse was gone, and I felt unsteady on him again. I couldn't figure out how to get it back. I don't know how, or why or what happened, but I adjusted my hands forward a bit, because he was curling, and suddenly, his back softened again. I cantered the other way, and the same thing happened. 2x4, and then I lifted him, pushed him forward a bit and let go and the back softened. This felt huge to me and really, really bugged me.

I rode Cassie, who if you'll remember, I have issues with making her stop up and get balky. I was able to maintain a steady beat in her back, and prevent her from pressing down and leaning in the bridle - and she went...no problems. And, I was able to take bilateral hh that actually worked. What did I do? Let go. I would never have said that I have a fixed hand, or that I'm riding into a fixed hand. But, I absolutely was. 100%. FML.

All the other horses followed suit, and the last one, I got to ride Ted, a 17.2ish hand school-master. He is a confirmed curler. He was ridden in draw reins before he came to Andrea, and contact can still be an issue with him closing the throat latch and chinking the bit. It's similar to Miro in the shape - neck is up, but throat latch closed. It's not perfect, but I was able to ride him up and out in a way that I was never, ever able to before. Again. NOT PERFECT... but hugely different than what I've gotten previously. I'm incredibly excited about this discovery.
IMG_4039.jpg
IMG_4039.jpg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 20501 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KWW9L2ZKpRA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAPHEyp43I

Part 2 of my post is about the new horse. So, she's an Andalusian/TB resale project that I got in partnership with Andrea. She arrived from Washington state on Friday morning. She needs a lot of groceries and some farrier work, but overall, I'm very happy with how she's responding. She's apprehensive, but she has an incredibly soft, kind eye that never panics or goes hard. She's very, very inquisitive and doesn't seem to over react to anything - which bodes well. She also had her first taste of grain in her life, and thinks it's manna from heaven. So, we'll be using that to our advantage. Andrea and I have considered blogging about her, but I know that at least here, I'll be tracking her progress from almost unhandled to (hopefully) a solid citizen.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:01 pm

I hear you dresseur! Some really good insights and similar to my journey with Rip. Question: are you just riding with more energy so Miro will take the hand out or releasing/softening a bit so he will go out to the hand? Or a bit of both? As we know, we have to ride with energy and power, sometimes it can be a bit intimidating especially when you aren't always sure about the horse you are sitting on (Rip now Gaila too!) yet it is where we have to go! BTW that is a lovely gelding, what a nice horse you get to ride there!

So update with my horses: I am finally feeling the push/swung from Rip for the medium trots. You have to have that in order to really get anywhere really, that power. Not sure if it is coming from the piaffe work, me revving him up more or combo of the two, but it is coming. Had a great ride yesterday with some good CC. Still needs some work on WC right, I'm getting it but it can be a bit sticky yet.

Well Gaila just flat out launched me yesterday, ouch! Sore right hip, sore left shoulder and a swollen left ankle. Ibuprofen is my friend. I've never had her do something like this, asked for a canter left and she went airborne. I do have someone interested in her and for a good price if they are up for this, if not she may be heading to the cowboy trainer or possibly the young trainer I am working with now. I have no interest in trying to get through that with her. DH was there for it, got back on afterwards but did not go for L canter again. She felt great in the walk and trot, but dang can't have that! The bad girl:
https://www.facebook.com/keri.hall.35/p ... 1084290260

I am happy with the trot walk transition though and pretty happy with her trot stuff, forward is an issue with Gaila (hence the leaping into the air instead of forward into canter) and the walk was very difficult to get her to have that energy and forward thinking especially coming down from the trot, because you know every down transition is a transition to halt her in book!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Khall, I'm definitely putting a bit more energy into it. Not much and definitely not running, but he needed a bit more so that he can't hide. The difference in what I'm doing with my hand and body is that before, when I would give my hand forward, I would soften in the shoulders so that the horse would not necessarily seek the hand, but would just fall on the forehand and become scrambly. So, because that was happening, I was holding onto everything too much and thinking that I was doing the right thing because I was still softening when I'd ask for a bit of forward. But, because there was no ask for telescoping out - just a softening of the hand, I was shortening the neck.

With the improvements to my position, and increased independence of my seat and aids, I can ask for forward, then hh, and not let the horse fall down, because I don't move in my position - which allows me to literally reach forward incrementally over and over (without rounding or softening my shoulders) until the horse starts seeking the hand. Then, I can feel a connection and the horse's back start to pulse, because I'm not stopping it up with a short neck. And, I can almost "push" the neck out, without the horse losing balance, which is huge. I'll have to take some "after" of M once I get him turned around from my mistakes. What's crazy to me is that I can feel the tipping of the balance point as I keep taking these hh, but the necks are not shortening.

And yes, Ted is one lovely, grumpy-faced gelding lol. I keep telling him that he'd get more sugar if he'd just put his ears forward once in a while. But so far, he's not taken my advice. He's for sale (and I think spoken for), as Andrea has one too many school masters. I'll be very sad to see him go.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:14 am

Ouch, Khall! Feel better soon.

I rode for the first time since breaking my wrist yesterday. It wasn't a great ride, as far as our overall goals go, but 100% successful in that my butt stayed in the saddle, and Maia was a lady.

Then, today, my BO texted when I was just getting ready to head out. Maia reacted badly to the IM strep vaccine I gave both mares yesterday -- low-grade fever, tender to the touch, and very out of sorts. She was feeling a bit more herself by the time I left the barn, after a few bute. Her dam, Anzia, nearly always has a minor reaction to every vaccine, but was feeling just fine.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:22 am

Khall, nice video to watch, sorry you were launched it is both upsetting and hurts! Once a horse has launched me i have an inclination to be defensive in riding the horse. I am not sure how to overcome that, it takes time.

Heddylamar, do you pre treat with an anti inflammatory when vaccinating? Spring shots are due soon for my barn too.

Dresseur all your hard work is paying dividends dont you think? Good luck with your project horse.

DJR your energy and projects are truly impressive. You keep so many horses progressing!

My own riding has been a little on the back shelf, as I have been spending quite a bit of time trying to get my 4H kids show ready for the season. I have been riding but not with much focus or direction. I am not sure if am going to try and get a couple of shows in at second level before i move. I have to sell one horse, and i think my favorite horse is the most sellable, and miss difficult is most likely the one i will end up keeping, which is a little saddening.

hope it all goes well for everyone. enjoy your journeys, right :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:40 am

Ouch Khall, I hope you're feeling better soon and it's nothing more than some superficial bruising.

Dresseur, always interesting to read your observations, especially with the wide range of horses you get to ride, and the feedback from Andrea.

Heddy, I hope Maia is feeling OK after her shots, and you're able to start riding again steadily!

I moved Annabelle to her new digs on Friday. She can't see horses very well from her stall, and this disturbs her. Nevermind that she can see a dozen horses from her pen, including the one right next to her. I think it's going to be a good move and honestly, I probably should have done it sooner. I think the indoor is 20x40m, so it's good for us to have to work within those constraints. There is also a couple hundred acre "park" and a ditch bank to ride along, and a large outdoor arena, and it's only 8 minutes from my house.

Today we had a really nice lesson - she had me getting a really solid bend, then turning just a little early onto the long side, which then turned into a really honestly onto the outside shoulder in at the trot. I'm hoping I grasped it enough to develop this feel on the stiffer side, where the outside rein is more elusive. To that side we're still working on getting the shoulders up and not motorcycling around, but 20m circles are more within the realm of possibility than before. This Friday I have a lesson with a different instructor, who I've lessoned with off and on for a few years. She hasn't seen Annabelle since fall, so it will be interesting to see what she thinks of her progress
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Its snowing again, here, i mean more than predicted too!! darn. That makes morning chores take extra long and that makes riding time limited. My plans to be very productive this week will start tomorrow :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Maia's partially back to normal. We're going to dose with bute again late this afternoon. Hopefully time and that second round will have her bouncing back. Bouncing is the key word. This horse is a bit like Tiger ... and a Lab puppy. She's got energy, and the wiggles, and the bounces, and when you scold her (normally for bouncing off me), she can do the best "who me?" innocent puppy face. Seeing her so lethargic was really concerning.

Chisamba, I haven't pre-treated with bute in the past — I'd found a solution for both older mares of this bloodline who have/had bad reactions to vaccines. But after this, I will be giving bute prior to vaccines. The vet also suggested switching to an intranasal Strep vaccine v. the IM injection.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Dresseuer, my Rudy is similar to your Miro and the whole short neck thing and I have found that, for me, the key lies in my ability to soften my elbows so that my hands stay closed and my shoulders stay back. When he is tense or stiff, I often feel like my arms are too short and that I can't offer more rein without tipping forward--do you ever have that feeling??? At any rate, thinking "soft elbows" and "swinging hips" really helps me to establish what I think is correct connection. I know I have it right when he gets wider at the thoracic aspect of his withers and when his sides fill out my whole leg. Then, suddenly, my arms are no longer too short!

Khall, so sorry to here you parted company with Gaila. Perhaps a combination of time with a good cowboy and putting her up for sale is the answer. I am so past putting up with horses that can dump me, especially now that I have my 2 sweet boys.

Chisamba, I hope your move to Dallas goes smoothly. Perhaps Deneb will surprise you and rise to the occasion when she becomes an "only child." (Assuming it is Deneb you'll wind up keeping.) If you look up Capstone Collections on FB you can message her and she'll answer almost right away.

SF, congratulations on your move to a new barn. Sounds like a perfect fit for you and Annabelle.

Kyra's Mom, jingles that you will soon be able to ride without massive pain.

Back from fishing just in time to enjoy an unusually beautiful Easter weekend (usually we have extreme winds +/- snow) so I actually got to ride 2 days in a row!! It being a bit breezy (25-30mph) made the ponies a bit goofy but dang it was fun to be back in the saddle. Yesterday, Rudy had a bit of a melt down on the way home from a ride out and came surprisingly close to dumping me before he settled back into his usual well-behaved self. Work in the arena (and out for that matter) focused on keeping the neck long and my bloody hands quiet. I discovered if I think "have more horse in front of you than behind" in the walk, I could get really nice w-c transitions both directions. Tio was even well-behaved, although I lunged him in sidereins first and did our usual ground work before hopping on. Managed w-t-c both directions with a minimum of hopping so I am pleased. Now it is snow/raining and blowing REALLY hard, so no riding today. :(

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Chisamba wrote:Its snowing again, here, i mean more than predicted too!! darn. That makes morning chores take extra long and that makes riding time limited. My plans to be very productive this week will start tomorrow :)

It's the Gods telling you something...

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:41 pm

Dresseur wrote:....So, basically, I'm riding forward - and trying to learn how to push him out to the bridle. In my lesson, I felt glimpses of him drawing out - and that paved the way for a great weekend of riding

....., she was telling me about how when she has him where she likes him, there is a pulse in his back, like a heartbeat or sine wave. So, I got to experimenting...

.....I couldn't figure out how to get it back. I don't know how, or why or what happened, but I adjusted my hands forward a bit, because he was curling, and suddenly, his back softened again. I cantered the other way, and the same thing happened. 2x4, and then I lifted him, pushed him forward a bit and let go and the back softened. This felt huge to me and really, really bugged me.

I rode Cassie, who if you'll remember, I have issues with making her stop up and get balky. I was able to maintain a steady beat in her back, and prevent her from pressing down and leaning in the bridle - and she went...no problems. And, I was able to take bilateral hh that actually worked. What did I do? Let go. I would never have said that I have a fixed hand, or that I'm riding into a fixed hand. But, I absolutely was. 100%. FML....

I think people have different concepts of what a fixed hand is, and that makes it difficult to talk about riding with a fixed hand.

I've been thinking about the whole idea of "seeking the bit" so have been doing a lot of walk work lately, both because the extended walk thread got me interested in it, and because walk is where we're least likely to maintain a contact. I wish I could watch you ride and see what you're doing when you "adjust your hands forward a bit" and what the "steady beat in the back" looks like, because I think it may be at least part of what's been going around in my head lately?

demi

Postby demi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:05 am

KHall so sorry you got launched! I know you are younger than me(everyone is younger than me) but as I remember you are no spring chicken and the ground is so much harder than it was when we were younger!! At least you got some good video for your efforts.

Thanks for your updates Dressuer. As usual, they are interesting and well written. I am excited that your new horse is a mare and am looking forward to progress reports.

At the halfway point I have been keeping up with my goals, except for the dang weight loss. I can tell from the vids I’ve taken that the extra weight is causing an unsteadiness that I didnt use to have. Most of the extra weight is in my butt and legs, unfortunately, and it keeps me from getting my seatbones close to the horse and causes unsteadiness.I have also put on weight in my upper body that I never had before, but that isnt as big a problem for riding. My exercise program is working as far as strength and balance but the extra adipose tissue is certainly a problem. I hate even writing about this because it has been going on for the last several years, but I think the writing is helping me face the issue...

Trainer said my saddle is downhill. So i put shims in a mattes half pad but that only made the saddle tight in the shoulders. I finally tried another saddle and WOW! What a difference. I had to mess with the other saddle, too, because it bridged front to back and that REALLY annoyed the princess, but once I put some fill in under the panels even Rocky seemed to appreciate the difference (from the original saddle).Trainer has a fitter coming the 18th so we’ll see what happens.

I still need to get some regular hill work in addition to my weekly trail rides. Now that spring is here I think I’ll be able to manage that. Right now, the trail rides are stricty pleasure for Rocky. Her temperament is such (or at least she has me convinced) that she needs those rides on a long rein with no pressure. The hill work will have to be a separate ride I think.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 am

Straightforward, I am enjoying your soloshot vids on the FB page. Good job riding Annabelle’s antics!

Piedmont Fields, i think your clinic with Jeremy Steinberg is getting close. Good luck. I just know you are well prepared!

Chisamba, the weather here in Texas is super right now. The bluebonnets are in full bloom and the rest of the wild flowers are on the verge of exploding with color. I hope you end up keeping at least one of the grey mares, but as someone pointed out upthread, maybe Deneb will rise to the occasion. She is named for a star after all.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:18 am

I know i have not got to that bridge yet but I am very worried about the stress of long distance travel on Deneb. She is very stressed on the trailer, and tends to do silly Tibbs when stressed. Examples have been pushing out trailer screen and window, turning around in a single berth and attempting to jump out over the back door, jumping over the chest bar while tied. I need to talk to my vet about long term sedative options. I worry about her being in the care is someone else and something happening some they stop, feed, water or switch horses.

I plan to keep one of the Grey mares.

My good school horses are already placed when I close my program.

If we are able to sell her a find a few acres there, choices will be less stressful.

It was raining today, April showers. Glad to have the indoor. Worked my horses successfully. Had an experiment at getting to lunge the donkey. Haha.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:15 am

Dresseur, always interesting to read your posts and appreciate all your honesty in what you report. I know I've had those lightbulb moments and they are good but I know the frustration of if only you'd done that earlier! I've had that again more recently with letting go 'up and forward' for me with my hands to let my guys more rounder, not shorter. Anyway, your riding always looks good!!

Khall, so sorry for your stack! Ouch!!! Nice to see your vids too :)

Demi, exercise does nothing for me to lose weight. I lost 15kg through diet. I do exercise (I'm running my first half marathon in 2 weeks time, eek!!) but it is definitely diet that gets rid of the excess weight. While I'm sure you look fine, I do feel better without the excess weight on me. Few more kgs off my bum would be nice though.

Took Ding to another hack show. He was scared of this huge inflatable slide that intermittently spat out children... who can blame him :lol: so we didn't do well in our hunter classes. But I ended up with champion rider which was unexpected.
I'm also back riding my big horse, he's staying sound so far. I've started riding him 'properly' for 25 mins now and all good. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

DingJerrawa5s.jpg
DingJerrawa5s.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 20250 times

DingJerrawa19s.jpg
DingJerrawa19s.jpg (95.35 KiB) Viewed 20250 times

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 10.12.10 am copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 10.12.10 am copy.jpg (104.94 KiB) Viewed 20250 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Flight, no surprises about you nabbing the champion rider award, congratuations! Fingers crossed for Norsey staying sound. He is such a neat guy!

Chisamba, I wonder if it would help Deneb make the trip if you could book her a box stall? It might be worth calling a couple shippers well in advance and seeing what they recommend.

Annabelle is much more settled in her new place now. Yesterday we took a trip around the big outdoor arena after our schooling session and she barely turned an ear at anything. I was laughing a little because horses who've lived there much longer were spooking at the traffic cone letters that had fallen over in yesterday's wind storm. We have a nice view of the Boise and Owyhee mountains from out there.
Attachments
new office.jpg
new office.jpg (194.94 KiB) Viewed 20236 times
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks guys for the bucked off support! Demi I am 50, not so young anymore, and no I really don't want to get launched again anytime soon! Thankfully I rolled when I hit and dissipated some of the force, back still a bit twingy and left shoulder probably from the reins (went off right side) but nothing too bad. Had a ride on Rip yesterday with no problems other than he pulled a dang shoe in the field while we were riding.

Interesting ride on Rip, been having a bit of stickiness WC right, yesterday upped the anty a bit and was asking halt-C and RB-C either direction with no issues. I am guessing it is the engagement that makes those transitions easier so I need to have him better engaged and prepped for WC right to get rid of the stickiness. I also know I need to keep my position and not collapse forward as so easy to do. Had a great ride on him even with the wind blowing hard. Now to get his shoe put back on with the farrier out of town.

Gaila had a CTJ meeting the other day. Lunged her Monday and she was a complete pig with huge leaps and bucks and just being a twit. We had a few discussions of no you don't leap and buck when I ask you to canter, see if you canter off quietly you get to stop and get a goodie. Lunged her yesterday and was back to her normal self. Not sure if it is spring time sillies or something else going on. Going to have the vet give her a go over then look into sending her off for a month or so.

Flight so glad Norsey is back US! He looks great! Poor Ding! I do not blame him wanting to cut and run with the blow up and children:)
chisamba I hope the move goes smoothly. Does Deneb trailer better with company? I had one that was that way, a nervous wreck by herself but calm with a buddy. Will you be hauling them yourself or hiring a hauler?
SF nice arena there! Looks like a great place to move to.
SueB here's to having better weather consistently! Glad your boys were good.

Ugh weight loss, so difficult! Had lost about 15 lbs and its back on again. Food is so tough for me. I need to drop 20-30 lbs. I've started running some with DH and one of my foster dogs, good for dog and me. I also need to do some yoga stuff, keep everything limber.

Good riding all!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:32 pm

khall - I'm 53 now and I hear ya! I just cancelled a jumping clinic I had signed up for because I'm turning into a nervous nelly about a fall after a bad one a year ago (off my daughter's large pony, landing smack dab on my left SI joint). It's irrational because my horse-related injuries have had nothing to do with jumping, but my brain tells me its higher risk. It's actually not the jumping that backed me off from this clinic, now that I think about it, it's Panache who is reactive & uppity. Anyway, my self-preservation instinct gets stronger which each passing year!

Flight, your photos on the two horses are beautiful. You are such an elegant rider, that prize was well deserved!

Chisamba - that's hard re: shipping Deneb. I agree about asking about a box stall instead of a standing stall. I'd find it so hard parting with horses I'm enjoying working with, I don't envy you that!

Weight loss - UGH, big time. I had very good success with a low-carb, high-protein/fat way of eating last fall, but my carb addiction is very, very strong and I find it incredibly hard to stick to it (even once I've done so long enough that the cravings have passed). Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Meanwhile, I rode Jet for the first time in 10 days (since his cellulitis diagnosis) and he felt great. Very fluid & forward at the trot. He was sticky/sluggish at canter but I think that's more a factor of him being out of shape than his leg. In turn-out, he was uncharacteristically feeling his oats, bucking & running around, so he's definitely feeling better!

My ride on Panache yesterday improved, too. He felt cold-backed/uppity at first, but I hadn't lunged him before getting on him (first time I tried directly mounting without lunging since he was put back in work) ... so, considering that scenario, he was very good. Within 5-10 min, he was working well and giving me some nice relaxation and suppleness.

I also rode Dante, my big lug of a Percheron, for the 2nd time since I brought him back home in March. I fitted an older dressage saddle on him and took him for a spin. He was super! Out of shape, for sure, but responsive, obedient, and fun. So I decided to hack him down the road to cool him out after we finished in the sand ring. I rode him down my driveway and out past the front hedge, and BOOM he spotted the still-standing snowman/reindeer display on the strip of grass by the road. HE DID NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT!!! He put his big head WAYYY up in the air, snorted, rolled back and tried to bolt for the barn. Feeling that much horse spook like that, with 17.3h of hunka hunk o' Percheron underneat me, was NOT FUN!! To his credit, he whoa'd quickly and I hopped off before I had an unplanned dismount, then led him up to the scary snowman/reindeers. He was snorty, but again to his credit he walked right up and nudged each one with his big ol' nose. After leading him around & past the figures a few times, he was fine. What a big lug!

Today we're facing horrible winds (gusting up to 90-100 km/h (60 mph) with intermittent rain, hail, or snow travelling horizontally. I HATE wind storms like this and can only hope that no major damage happens to the farm. No riding today!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 pm

DJR, even if you don't wish to take the time to lunge (or arena is too busy for it) I strongly suggest some quick ground work with Panache before you get on. It was last year, I think, that I realized my youngster, Tio, was much more respectful and focused if I did ground work first. Much of the time, all I do is make sure he goes forward, sideways and backward when given the appropriate aides and that he do so without fussiness. Soon as he is compliant in both directions, I know I can hop on without issue, even if he is feeling "froggy". For Tio, anyways, it's all about respect. Oh, I'm 57 btw, and really, really don't want to hit the dirt anytime soon. :P

Khall, for w-c, in addition to keeping yourself upright, try creating a walk in which you feel like there's more horse in front than behind. That made a huge difference in Rudy's w-c. They are now consistently sitting, with no ducking or curling.

Flight, I envy your position and your riding. You are really doing well with your boys--congratulations.

Monday we had 60mph winds all freakin' day with snow/rain in the morning and then dust storms in the afternoon! The interstate was closed for much of the day and a semi fell off the overpass just down the road from us, killing the driver and closing that highway for the day due to the firey explosion. Monday was a baaaad day. DJR, I hope your wind storm isn't as damaging as ours was.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Sue B wrote:DJR, even if you don't wish to take the time to lunge (or arena is too busy for it) I strongly suggest some quick ground work with Panache before you get on. It was last year, I think, that I realized my youngster, Tio, was much more respectful and focused if I did ground work first. Much of the time, all I do is make sure he goes forward, sideways and backward when given the appropriate aides and that he do so without fussiness. Soon as he is compliant in both directions, I know I can hop on without issue, even if he is feeling "froggy". For Tio, anyways, it's all about respect. Oh, I'm 57 btw, and really, really don't want to hit the dirt anytime soon. :P

That's a great suggestion, Sue, thanks. I'm going to do that even if I can't lunge him first. Love this board!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 pm

I never get on Deneb without having done some work first. i even will work on the rail, walk around twice, trot halt trot, and yes, bend move in shoulder in, in both directions, anything that gets her on the aids before i get on her back. Is that too defensive? would she be better with some one who does not have the ptsd ( wink) from her? probably

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm enjoying the updates, video and pictures, ups and downs.

Chisamba wrote:I never get on Deneb without having done some work first. i even will work on the rail, walk around twice, trot halt trot, and yes, bend move in shoulder in, in both directions, anything that gets her on the aids before i get on her back. Is that too defensive? would she be better with some one who does not have the ptsd ( wink) from her? probably

C, I'd just call that great work helping a young horse focus and mentally prepare to work under saddle. Its a great reminder that this type of work really helps some horses settle.

I've ridden sporadically at best. Last week I strung 4 days riding in a row and was ecstatic. We worked on more sitting at the canter, some clean lines of multiple changes (every 4-5 strides), and just basics, transitions, working over back, fitness (him and me). Then some field and hill work, lateral work up hills, changes in the big field. It was fun! The last day we were out near dusk, hacking in a big field, alone, when a big herd of about 20 deer broke out of the woods and went screaming past us at warp speed. Exciting stuff. Luckily Will could have cared less and was happy to hang out and watch them go by. :) He's been a superstar considering how little regular work he's gotten this winter.

A little early spring grass on a rare nice evening under a full moon after work.
March2018.reduced2.jpg
March2018.reduced2.jpg (232.17 KiB) Viewed 20075 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:05 pm

cb06 wrote:I'm enjoying the updates, video and pictures, ups and downs.

Chisamba wrote:I never get on Deneb without having done some work first. i even will work on the rail, walk around twice, trot halt trot, and yes, bend move in shoulder in, in both directions, anything that gets her on the aids before i get on her back. Is that too defensive? would she be better with some one who does not have the ptsd ( wink) from her? probably

C, I'd just call that great work helping a young horse focus and mentally prepare to work under saddle. Its a great reminder that this type of work really helps some horses settle.

I've ridden sporadically at best. Last week I strung 4 days riding in a row and was ecstatic. We worked on more sitting at the canter, some clean lines of multiple changes (every 4-5 strides), and just basics, transitions, working over back, fitness (him and me). Then some field and hill work, lateral work up hills, changes in the big field. It was fun! The last day we were out near dusk, hacking in a big field, alone, when a big herd of about 20 deer broke out of the woods and went screaming past us at warp speed. Exciting stuff. Luckily Will could have cared less and was happy to hang out and watch them go by. :) He's been a superstar considering how little regular work he's gotten this winter.

A little early spring grass on a rare nice evening after work.
March2018.reduced2.jpg

lovely report!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:15 pm

I'm firmly in the pre-ride groundwork "get your mind on me/engaged" camp — some horses need that extra bit of attention. If I'd used groundwork with Anzia, I'd have a whole lot less Anzia-learned PTSD to overcome.

Pre-ride groundwork is defensive, but in the same way your alert and take evasive maneuvers if necessary when driving — you're not going to continue on a green light through an intersection while another car comes flying out at you from a cross street on a red light without braking or swerving.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

regarding transporting Deneb, people have consistently recommended the box stall. brook ledge and other shippers who use box stalls do not have floor to roof divisions. Image

She actually behaves better in smaller spaces, the things i describe happening in the single stall are actually less dramatic than those things she has done with more space at her disposal. I think probably the most important thing for the shipper is to made sure she is side by side with Kimba one hundred percent of the time. (and a long term sedative) and hope that Kimba stays calm instead of letting Deneb amp her up. I will obviously very carefully discuss everything with a shipper before making the choice. It may be safest of all to sell my old trailer which i would not trust cross country, and buy one that i could drive myself, and bring her, Kimba and if there is space a couple of sheep and the donkey myself. by the time i add up all the expenses of shipping kimba and deneb, i might be able to persuade the DH that getting a trailer and bringing a few extra critters along as bonus would be worth it. :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

heddylamar wrote:

I'm firmly in the pre-ride groundwork "get your mind on me/engaged" camp — some horses need that extra bit of attention. If I'd used groundwork with Anzia, I'd have a whole lot less Anzia-learned PTSD to overcome.

Pre-ride groundwork is defensive, but in the same way your alert and take evasive maneuvers if necessary when driving — you're not going to continue on a green light through an intersection while another car comes flying out at you from a cross street on a red light without braking or swerving.

excellent point. I am no longer defensive about my need for defensive driving nor defensive groundwork :) :)

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:54 pm

I think we need to consider ground and/or in hand work as our pre ride check list. My DH is a private pilot, he would never get in a plane and fly off without doing his pre flight check list. I don't consider it to be defensive but smart. Now can we sometimes do that US? Yes, but not always.

OMG I am so in love with my filly!! Pulled her out and went to the arena to work today, just a few woo wees but for the most part just went to work like a good girl. She is so very sensible, was a bit more of a push today than at the clinic but dang, big sweepy trot, with just a bit of knee action, lovely balanced canter both directions and the biggest thing IMO is she is so even both sides! And just wants to be with her people.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:56 am

Chisamba - getting yourself a newer trailer sounds like a good plan especially if you will need one in TX. I've moved horses cross country with professional shippers - but the horses were experienced and cooperative with travel. They were in loose box stalls and were removed from trailers during lay-overs and transfer destinations. Those are the situations where you would be control doing it yourself.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:46 pm

khall wrote:I think we need to consider ground and/or in hand work as our pre ride check list. My DH is a private pilot, he would never get in a plane and fly off without doing his pre flight check list.

I can only hope that it's not a pre-flight checklist, but mine consists of leading my horse around the ring once each way so that he can see that there's nothing hiding at the other end. Then I do everything that I would do from the ground from the saddle, because I just can't seem to find a good place to hold the reins when I'm on the ground that doesn't feel awkward to me.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 am

I have had a bit more time to spend with Kyra the last couple of weeks. Her BFF that she has been boarded next to for oh, 12 years, was moved to a different part of the farm...out of site and almost out of hearing but not quite. I was a bit apprehensive...not that I could do anything about it...that she would meltdown and be a ***** to work with as she can so easily tune me out. Happily, at least thus far, I can report it was mostly a non event and she has been working very nicely.

Our sessions have been short but I did even manage to ride once for about 15 minutes. My butt wasn't entirely happy but not bad. It seems to be past the hard pain part and now is merely uncomfortable. None of that I can't stand to sit in the saddle stuff. I am almost a year out from losing the prickly little tailbone. I am sticking to walk for who knows how long. I have buggered up my back (2 bulging discs that are impinging on the nerve roots :P ) and I know the back will not be happy if I try trot or canter. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon and God (if you are listening), I am tired of surgery so hope that is not what needs to transpire but it is going on 5 months since I injured it and I am living on Tylenol and ibuprofen as it isn't pleasant if I don't take something. I am on my second round of PT--pool therapy which gets some of the weight off my skeleton allows me to exercise pain free. I have already done chiropractic, weekly massages for 2 months, E-stim and ultrasound which improved things some but I seem to be stuck now. . BUT...walking on the horse doesn't bother it. In fact, that nice little moving massage as the horse picks up one's hip and moves it with theirs feels quite good. Since I haven't ridden hardly at all for 2 years, a couple months of walking won't hurt a thing. As soon as the weather calms down a little, I will get her over to our trotting track which for us is a 'trail ride' and provides lots of excitement :roll: . I ordered my coccyx cutout seat saver from Dressage Extensions. I will be interested to see if that helps on the butt comfort front. I could of used it years ago (although I fashioned my own that I used for a while).

She has been doing very well in her ground work. I have been doing about 10 minutes of lunging. At nearly 16, she doesn't need a whole lot of that but it gets her moving and lets her blow the pipes out (her lungs...I don't let her get her jollies out on the line). I try to incorporate some straight lines and squares in my lunging to avoid endless circles. She has looked nicely elastic (for her) and nicely forward. Then I finish up with another 10 minutes of in-hand work having her do leg yield first for some suppling then SI, HI and half pass in-hand at the walk. She seems quite proud of herself.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Glad to hear the updates! I need to re-read and reflect more on some of your details, Dresseur, but I think you are onto very interesting learning! Susan, I am glad you are back at the barn and Kyra is being sensible about change. That is not one of Emi's talents :lol: !

I survived the clinic with Jeremy Steinberg this week. He really is a wonderful instructor (and a genuinely nice guy). The whole experience was a great reminder of just how helpful "good help" is for horse and rider improvement. For those of you with regular on the ground help and wisdom supporting your journey, be grateful! Emi and I could really benefit from that. I will share a write up on the clinic in a separate post, but my very short summary is that I was glad that i had been doing spin cycling at home the last two months in advance of this clinic! :-D My friend also captured some video so I'll get some still and moving images to you all, too.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Dresseur wrote:With the improvements to my position, and increased independence of my seat and aids, I can ask for forward, then hh, and not let the horse fall down, because I don't move in my position - which allows me to literally reach forward incrementally over and over (without rounding or softening my shoulders) until the horse starts seeking the hand. Then, I can feel a connection and the horse's back start to pulse, because I'm not stopping it up with a short neck. And, I can almost "push" the neck out, without the horse losing balance, which is huge. I'll have to take some "after" of M once I get him turned around from my mistakes. What's crazy to me is that I can feel the tipping of the balance point as I keep taking these hh, but the necks are not shortening.

This sounds like what I call "forward HHs". It is the only HH I was formally taught. The rest I had to find during experimentation.

My horse would not necessarily get short in the neck but he would pose which is the same issue of not reaching. I found I could get him to arc his neck out just from my core but I couldn't get him to do that on contact. The last piece was the forward HH where I HH him and then do a larger than normal release and the neck goes out while still on contact. It is like the body is paused while the neck continues forward.

All this talk about reins as sticks is talking about this issue... there has to be some learned response on the horse's part to telescope the neck or nobody is going anywhere.

There is NFW we were going to get correct collection without this telescoping and extension along the topline into the hand. This was the bottleneck we got through.
Last edited by Tsavo on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dressage Training”