Show Warm-up - How long do you warm up?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage

At a show, how long do you warm up before your test?

10-15 minutes
14%
15-30 minutes
43%
30-45 minutes
43%
45-60 minutes
No votes
More than 60 minutes
No votes

Total votes: 7

HafDressage
Herd Member

Show Warm-up - How long do you warm up?

Postby HafDressage » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:35 pm

So as showing is getting closer and becoming a reality, I'm starting to freak out about how long to warm up. My boy warms up like the laziest creature on the planet, but then works out of it and gets the zoomies by the end of my ride. So, at the end of every ride, I have a nice forward horse. Well at a show, I'm worried that if I warm-up for 45 minutes to an hour I'm going to run out of horse when I get in the ring. I know there is a balance point in there, I'm just not sure what it is yet.

How long do you guys spend warming up and what is your routine?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Show Warm-up - How long do you warm up?

Postby Chisamba » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:26 am

Sometimes I will give myself 45 minutes, find my horse is ready after fifteen, stand around in the shade for fifteen, ride a little to recharge the battery, then go in. I would rather have time to hang out than feel rushed

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:54 pm

I didn't select an answer because I have found that it not only depends on the individual horse but also the day (weather, time, what the week leading up to the show was like, etc), venue and the test/level. I've warmed up any where from 15 minutes and gone in to have a really nice test and have needed close to 40-60 minutes of preparation (not all working the horse but as Chisamba suggested, just hanging out getting into 'the zone'). The majority of horses I've trained and/or bred have not needed drilling or endless schooling. The breed I have does best with recognizing what mood they're in and what they're needs are on that given day so that I'm flexible and ride the horse I brought to the show on that day not necessarily the horse I rode yesterday.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:20 pm

When I'm working out my timing for show day, I usually allow 45 minutes so I've got some margin of error, but I would say, with Laddie, about 30 minutes.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:20 am

My horse is the same. Takes a little while to get him going and by the end of the session he is lovely. I aim for about 20 - 25mins to get to that point where the forwardness is starting to happen. If it's hot, I have to drop it to 10 -15.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Odin grows about 2 hands at a show. This must be an exhausting process, because he is very energetic and fiery for the first 20 minutes, and then turns into a slug. Also, I tend to stop breathing at shows, so a long warm-up could prove fatal. So we generally warm up for 10 intense minutes, then mooch around for 20 minutes, then a quick refresher, then into the ring.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:08 pm

I leave myself 60 minutes, but generally warm up 20-30 minutes. I'm just getting the horse and I working in concert, not schooling any movements — it's too late for that by the time we're on the show grounds. The actual formula depends on the horse.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:32 pm

I think I "schedule" about 35 minutes to warm up for the only test I'm riding that day. I do 10-15 min walking, ~10 min T/C general warm up and suppleness, and then will key up the vital components for the test (i.e., check for sufficient lateral response to the leg aid at T/C, school some p/p, school a few of the toughest transitions, etc.).

Return to “Dressage Training”