Just need to complain about the cost of showing for a hot sec

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
HafDressage
Herd Member

Just need to complain about the cost of showing for a hot sec

Postby HafDressage » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:47 pm

Seriously I do. Okay so as you guys know I'm kind of gearing up for showing and I almost just fell out of my chair when I realized my USDF renewal was $90. When they say this is a sport of adult amateurs or that dressage is driven by adult amateurs, they clearly must mean "my husband founded Yahoo" or "I own Campbell's soup" type AA's, because it's clear to me that they can't mean most people.

So, the run down of expenses so far:
USEF: $89
USDF: $90
Show classes: $50 + 15 for qualifying, so $60 per class, minimum $120 per show
Stabling: 125 (FRI/SAT/SUN)
Tack Stall: $75
Other non-avoidable fees on entry form: $75

SO I mean minimum $574. Okay maybe I could survive without a tack stall, but still $500.

Then, add hotel @ 90 per night, so $180.
Then, add coaching @ 75 per ride, so $150.
Then, add food @ 40 per day for my food + 40 for trainers food. So, roughly $200ish.

I have a truck and trailer, so at least I don't have to pay for trailering, but if I did, I mean add a couple hundred more at least. Could I possibly surive without coaching okay maybe although I don't see the point of going without a coach to help me do my best and hotel and food are non-negotiable.

So, anyway, $1000 to play. I get that all of these organizations are trying to cover there expenses and such, but still it's getting quite expensive to go show. Can I afford it, yes. Can I feel disgruntled about it, super yes. Do I feel bad for people on a tighter budget than myself, super duper yes.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Just need to complain about the cost of showing for a hot sec

Postby khall » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 pm

I hear you, why I only show schooling shows right now. Maybe I will show recognized later, but ack too expensive.

Last time I showed recognized was breed show with Rip as a youngster. I could easily drop $1000 for a weekend. They were doing that two shows back to back thing, well that meant twice the show fees.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:42 am

That’s very expensive!!
We tend to do it the povo way here and I can go to a show for under $150 (not including fuel).
However my membership fees to do official classes on 2 horses is at least $320 per year.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:49 am

Yup. Sounds like NOTHING has changed. I used to voice my opinion but would be admonished by the 'have's' for it. I hope to show recognized some time in the fall; but, my showing days will be strictly reduced even when I do have a competitive ready mount. For the last 2-3 years I really haven't and as such haven't shown recognized in two years. I'll do a few schooling shows I think; but, fortunately other than getting the horse prepped, I don't 'feel the need' for a ton of showing. I have only one thing on my agenda and I plan to manage my money accordingly. Ironically when I used to complain about the expense and challenges I use to show with a fully loaded trailer - min 4 horses per show - and that was just me and mine. Now I'm contemplating just 1......

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Where I am, the cost of class fees etc is the same, but usually we don't have to do overnight - which makes the cost of a show around $200-250 for a day. Most of our shows are about 2 hours away and we have a nice selection. What's nice is that a lot of the shows will also split weekends into 2 separate shows, so it helps anyone who is looking for medals because they will try to place you with different judges.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm

If you go to big 3 day shows, have a trainer fee, need to stay overnight, and need a stall, then I agree it's pricey. Not everyone is in that situation, thankfully.

I'm not showing anymore, but when I did, I went to one-day recognized shows. I trailered in, so no stall. No food. I never paid a trainer to school me. Third Level on up, only 1 class. It cost a little over $100. (50-60 for the class + drug fee + office fee + van in fee). I would not count an 'annual' USDF/USEF membership into the fee. That's a one time charge. Even if money was not an object, I would not want to spend a whole weekend at a show. That's just me; do the class, in and out.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Musical Comedy, you and I are most definitely on the same page. One day shows only - so no stall costs (except for the few shows who will not let you show from your trailer, and I rarely will do one of those shows just on principle). With rare exceptions, only shows within a 2 hour drive of where my horse is boarded. Two classes max. No qualifying classes. I just concentrate on scores for annual show, minimum qualifying scores for USDF All Breeds (which doesn't require an extra fee). So once yearly memberships are paid, my average show cost is under $250 + gas. Under $200 if I don't indulge in video. The only time (since I stopped eventing 20+ years ago) I've paid for stabling is when the show was near a friend, so I paid stabling, but slept on her couch, so no hotel costs. Brought my own shavings from where I board and my own hay.
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:35 pm

It's interesting how this varies from region to region-- in my former place of residence, there were 0 shows within 3 hours, so I was committing to staying overnight no matter where I opted to show. Nowadays I may have a bit more flexibility, but some shows restrict haul-ins and/or require that you purchase all shavings from the showgrounds itself rather than provide your own.

It's gotten to be an expensive sandbox, for sure.

This does open the door for some schooling shows to provide higher-end experiences (competitor parties, decent footing, etc) at sub-recognized show prices. Maybe we'll see the rise of the schooling shows in the vacuum left behind by the recognized circuit.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:39 pm

That's one advantage of being out here in the dressage boonies, I guess. We kind of have to boot strap it a bit out of necessity, so it's somewhat cheaper!

I'm not planning on Regionals this year--they are a 12 hour drive away, so I've simply joined my GMO for $55, vs. joining USDF as a PM. I can still show and achieve my goals, and I get to support my GMO and participate in other events (so I don't necessarily consider that simply as a cost of showing.)

USEF, yeah, still got to do that, which stings a bit. But, yet again, it offers other benefits (like the umbrella insurance) so is it a cost of showing per se?

I've never had a tack stall in my showing life. I just lock my stuff in my trailer.

At least two of the 2 day shows I will go to this summer are only 30 minutes away, so I can show from my trailer and go home afterwards.

There are two that will require overnight stabling if I do more than one day, as they are an hour and a half away, and Himself doesn't need to spend that much time in the trailer in the middle of summer (and the venue insists that you buy 3 nights of stabling, which is $150 when all is said and done. So I'll probably just go down for the day. ) I'll go home even if he doesn't as there are other animals and people that need my attention at home--the nearest hotel to the show grounds in half an hour away so I might as well keep on going and sleep in my own bed and not pay the pet sitter!

Trainer will coach for free if she's there. Otherwise I'm on my own, which is fine by me.

I'm usually too keyed up to eat more than a nutrigrain bar, so that saves a bit too :)

I also know that no-one is making their fortune off our showing expenses. Most of the organizers are lucky to break even, and several of our shows have gone away this year because they made a loss last time around.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:33 am

The fees are one time so. I don't think you add them in on the cost. I supported both even I the years I dud not show

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 am

Around here it's fairly reasonable. The big show grounds where there are multiple 3 day recognized shows is an hour from my place. With four to six classes, overnight stabling for two nights, shavings, tack stall, and all other costs associated with entry, it's between $250 and $300. We usually stay at a cheap motel nearby and split the cost of that so that's another $100 ($50 a night), and bring our own food. But if you wanted to do it cheaply, you could trailer in for a day and for two classes you'd only be looking at $100 or so in entry fees and other expenses (not including trailering/gas). Or you could tent and also skip the tack stall. I've done that before too.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Yeah, we'll just stick with local Opportunity classes this year, but the fees still add up. OTOH, I can get my horse exposure to show environment at local western shows that are $6 a class with no extra fees at all.

This cama across my FB feed this morning:
Attachments
FB_IMG_1521642276824.jpg
FB_IMG_1521642276824.jpg (18.09 KiB) Viewed 10602 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm in California, SF Bay Area, so there's usually a fair number of shows within my 2 hour radius, though one very popular series disappeared after the owner sold the property. New owners didn't want to continue, though they did allow the then-current season to finish out. I'm sort of out of it for now. It's been 2.5 year since I've shown due to Markey-Mark's injury, so I haven't paid GMO, USDF, USEF fees, ApHC membership (required for USDF All Breeds). My kind riding friends pass on their USDF Connection and USEF magazines to me so I can keep in the know.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Hot4Spots we're in the same area. What show series would be good for my greenie?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 pm

MD's show scene has always seemed less prevalent than NoVA to me (where I moved from), but I know that I'm extremely well-situated in either locale.

There's plenty of dressage schooling shows in my area, and, if I ever felt so inclined, a regional recognized dressage show that's between the house and barn (20-30 minute drive). Needless to say, I'd haul in, so few of the extra associated costs would apply. Eventing is a further drive, but I'd still likely haul-in unless I absolutely had to stay overnight. My mare is not at her best in a stall. I'd likely be paying damages and vet bills!

Return to “Dressage Training”