How to deal with "The Borrowers" ~ sigh . . . .

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Ellie
Greenie

How to deal with "The Borrowers" ~ sigh . . . .

Postby Ellie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Kind of off topic, but assumed I'd get some professional and thoughtful responses. I board in a very nice barn with on-site owners. The facility is immaculate and we have two very large tack rooms for trunks and saddle/bridle racks. Each tack room is used by approximately six boarders. Recently, someone has been borrowing (well, stealing - as they have not been returned) one of my lunge whips and a favorite dressage whip. Because of their size, they "live" in a corner behind my trunk where they have stayed for the past 2+ years other than when I am using them. We have a few new "air head" type boarders (both can easily afford to buy their own) who I suspect just grab and go. They often leave their own bridles, brushes, etc., laying around, so there is some history here. Both are over 50 professional women. I emailed the owners with a heads-up with no reply. They are very hands-off when things are unpleasant. Anyone have experience with this and how did you deal with it. It's not the cost - I just want my things back!

Fatcat
Herd Member

Re: How to deal with "The Borrowers" ~ sigh . . . .

Postby Fatcat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Not much to do but get new whips and write in very obnoxiously loud ink on the new ones. Whips are hard to keep locked up in a tack trunk. The other option would be to keep them in your car.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:09 pm

They are probably clueless and think that if it's out, it is public property--that is the M.O. in a lot of barns.

Do you have a noticeboard? I'd stick a note up saying that you favorite and much loved equipment has walked off, and that you would really appreciate it being returned to it's home next to your tack trunk ASAP.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:27 pm

It sounds as though you may have good guesses as to who may have "borrowed" your whips. What I did in the past in a similar situation was to leave a note on my tackroom door (it was also a shared situation), or in prominent sight and just say that if anyone had seen my whip(s), to please help me locate them. I played it off as though I was the airhead misplacing things and if someone could please help me locate my items, I would be so grateful. My items were returned the next day. I chose to be pretty passive in this instance, but was ready to speak to the individuals that shared my tackroom if they weren't returned.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:42 pm

I bought some lime green duct tape and wrap it around all of my whips (except a riding whip I might want to show with, obviously). Whips tend to look the same, so something like that can help at least flag to other people that it's personal property.

Maybe you could devise a way to store your riding whip with your saddle when not in use, such as a gear tie attached to the back of the saddle rack?
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:48 pm

The above suggestions are great for the current situation, but don't address what to do in the future. These people will continue to borrow. They don't see anything wrong with appropriating your things. Be thankful they haven't decided to "borrow" your horse ... I had that happen once — an eagle eyed, smart mouthed friend happened upon that situation; there was a verbal blistering, my horse was removed from the situation by aforementioned friend (who was the horse's emergency contact), and no children were maimed.

For the belongings, I buy very distinctive patterned/colored whips, etc for the "borrowers." When you see someone else with your distinctive whip, you can say "oh, thank you! I was so afraid I'd lost that!" (And blithely ignore the fact that they're using it or stuck it in their trailer or whatever else.)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:20 am

You've got some great suggestions here!

Why cant you find them?

When something of mine comes up "missing", I tear the barn apart until I find it!

We also have someone that thinks everything is community property, even if my names on it. It makes me crazy!

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 am

heddylamar wrote:Be thankful they haven't decided to "borrow" your horse ... I had that happen once — an eagle eyed, smart mouthed friend happened upon that situation; there was a verbal blistering, my horse was removed from the situation by aforementioned friend (who was the horse's emergency contact), and no children were maimed.

If someone "borrowed my horse," my head would spin around like f'ing SATAN and somone would die.

Ellie- I've been at barns like this before too. I would say either put up a little sign that says please don't borrow without asking or directly address those you think are borrowing your stuff. If you have tack trunks then definitely put a lock on it.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 pm

HafDressage wrote:If someone "borrowed my horse," my head would spin around like f'ing SATAN and somone would die

OH HELL YES.

That mare is always one step away from blowing up. She's entertaining for *me* to ride. But some little kid walking around on a loose rein? Fortunately, my friend was there. She defused the bomb, removed child, then went after the adults. I can't say I would have prioritized the situation in as level-headed of a manner. Heads rolled.

Nikiwink
Greenie

Postby Nikiwink » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:33 am

Ive had this happen numerous times too. One whip in particular i had for 20yrs... Just one of those perfectly balanced whips (which i recently lost on a beach run :-( ).

I (and several friends) all ended up getting lockable tack boxes. My friends went flash and purpose prebuilt ones. Myself i just got a wheelie bin and put a saddle rack and bridle hooks in it. And then drilled a hole in it for the lock.

Short term tho id be putting a large sign up on the notice board etc requesting the gears return no questions asked. Depending how much support you get from the property owners would depend on how far further id take it tho.

Good luck

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:11 am

Agree with Nikiwink. Put a notice up requesting return. I am not shy about checking out all the stations in the tack room if something of mine walks away.
Truthfully though, it is usually because I forgot to put it away or misplaced it :oops: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “Dressage Training”