Basic Ground Work Suggestions Needed

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Basic Ground Work Suggestions Needed

Postby Hayburner » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Since I trying to built trust with my horse, I'm thinking we need to do some ground work since we haven't really done any.

I'm looking for suggestions on a good video(s) that an amateur can use.

Thanks

StraightForward

Re: Basic Ground Work Suggestions Needed

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Lessons in Lightness by Mark Russel is very good, as well as the Manolo Mendez series (I purchased that through Vimeo, but I think you can buy the physical DVDs through his website if you prefer that). If you buy the Manolo videos, you also get access to the FB group where you can see others doing the work and ask questions or get feedback. There is also some bonus material with it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:28 pm

If you don't want to spend money, you can use the regime a trainer gave me...
hind cross-oves
front crossovers
backing a straight line.

I have since added:
backing precise circles
flexing at the poll
flipping the nuchal ligament.

Make sure your horse is working into the bridle as much as possible for this work.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Mark is who I learned from. He learned from Nuno Olivera. Bettina Drummond has DVDs too.
I also like Anja Beran's work, her instructor Manuel Jorge de Olivera also worked with Nuno Olivera.
It is done first with just a caveson then with bit and bridle but never with side reins.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:27 pm

I learned Buck Brannaman's techniques -- crossovers, haunches out in hand, backing, etc.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 pm

All off what Tsavo and heddylamar said. :)

If you can, and if there is an opportunity in your area, see if you can find someone who does obstacle days. I did a couple with Yonka and it is so much fun. Going over bridges, through noodles, pushing barrels, etc. It makes them brave and they really need to look at you for guidance to let them know it is okay for them to go through that stuff. From my personal experience, it helped me gain a lot of confidence in myself and learn to trust my horse as well. Good Luck!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:23 am

Actually, I start in the stall teaching the horse to lower it's head to poll pressure. I do it incrementally. With my hand, halter and then bridle. When a horse does a giraffe impersonation I want them thoroughly familiar with lowering the head. It also helps when teaching thing and cross thing.

Then simple walk halt square up, walk halt, trot halt, I want the horse level with me and ultimately do not want to have to touch the lead shank.

Then I bit the horse. I lift the bit toward the poll to get the horse to soften it's tongue move it swallow, etc. I flex the horse slightly. Left slightly right, nose out or nose vertical.

Then with the reins over the neck and on contact I will gradually progress to shoulder in in each direction on the rail . I will also do a little turn on the forehand.

It depends on the horse where I place the head. A relaxed horse I will ask. It to carry the muzzle more or less hip height to encourage balance and strengthen the horse to carry weight.

I will turn the horse away from me while bent toward me. And turn it away from me while straight.

With a high headed anxious horse I will be sure I can get the lateral work with the horse stretching down and out, ie poll below wither and nose ahead of the forrid.

Return to “Dressage Training”