Anyone try this bit verbindend snaffle?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Anyone try this bit verbindend snaffle?

Postby Josette » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:15 pm

I'm seriously considering trying another bit for my guy who can be a heavy leaner. I've been riding him in a HS KK loose ring snaffle medium width. Today he simply was too strong for me and I need to try something else. He is already very forward when he gets strong and leans - so he is not a lazy leaner. He is very responsive off seat and legs that I rarely ride with spurs. This is just previous training baggage he came with and some days he is okay - but then he has a piggy day. My arms have had enough today. I've tried dropping him and giving him a sharp bump which sometimes helps - but probably does not impress him much. A sharp tap on the shoulder just upsets him. He has done this with my trainer too - so it is not my riding causing the behavior. Initially he was a terrible rooter - and I mean tear the reins out of your hands to wipe his face. He hates foam on his mouth and would insist on wiping it off. He rarely does this now because I'm quicker/stronger to intercept him.

So I've been reading some reviews on this verbindend snaffle and wondered if anyone uses it? Or would you recommend another bit? Again, pushing him forward when he leans will just cause him to rush - he is already forward and I need to maintain his balance.

Moutaineer

Re: Anyone try this bit verbindend snaffle?

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:50 pm

It's worth a try. I tried it on Laddie because I thought it might suit his odd mouth conformation, not because he leans. However, he backed off it like mad and just wasn't happy at all in it. The big lunk of a Friesian that is wearing it now loves it.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Did you use the same bit size as prior bit - or go up 1/4 inch due to the curved shape?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:38 am

Good question... I think the same size, because it is measure horizontally not running along the bit, if you see what I mean.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:53 am

Several years ago I had a problem with my old style Hanoverian being heavy on the bit. However, he went beautifully in a double bridle and later a Bouchet when I didn't want to deal with all the reins. He respected them.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks SrHL - I'll look into that bit as well. I got a good work out yesterday and surprised I'm not sore today. 8-) I had 3 decent well mannered rides prior to yesterday. I can tell immediately when he will be a gorilla when he became obsessed with the horses next door. We ride past them near my trail in the woods and you can barely see them from the ring. He does the rubber neck routine and resists bending him the other way. I do some leg yields on the trail and shoulder-in to get his attention - but he can have a one track mind at times. When he behaves - he is alot of fun to ride plus we physically fit each other perfect. The mental aspect is the challenge. :roll:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Josette wrote:Again, pushing him forward when he leans will just cause him to rush - he is already forward and I need to maintain his balance.

Have you tried bending/turning/circles whenever he leans, as that usually works way better than trying to use the bit to rebalance?

I'm always careful to avoid too many small circles at a time, but a few circles, to a line, with more circles the other way can be very effective, and if you time it so that leaning means another circle he may catch on quite quickly that leaning is not something you want.

Just don't give up too soon, because sometimes it takes awhile for them to catch on.

And then there are always PK's exercises that teach them to mouth the bit instead of clamping their jaw shut and leaning....
Last edited by kande50 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Yes - we do lots of figures - circles, serpentines, change direction across the diagonal. He is obedient when he is relaxed but gets very strong and leans when he is distracted. Likewise, he is very forward and to do any figures there must be some speed control to balance. I will not allow warp speed careening around the ring. He lunges very well but has moments of silly bucking and running - but does very well with voice commands. I use voice too while riding as well. I was told he did eventing in the past - this may be part of his mind set to use his strong engine. Likewise - mouthing the bit he does quite nice to develop foam. Relaxation and focus are the main issue which prevents consistency in our rides.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:32 pm

I tried the verbindend snaffle briefly on Maya, my appaloosa mare. She was very thick in the throatlatch and flexion was difficult for her, but she didn't dive and pull. I think she found that bit a little too aggressive and would invert to get away from it. IIRC, we settled on a Myler Level 1 loose ring snaffle for her.
Keep calm and canter on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks SF. I like the look of the Myler with a mild curve to it. I will probably try that one first to see how he responds. I'm not sure what IIRC means?

ok- I just ordered it. I'll see how my little gorilla responds. :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:57 pm

If I Recall Correctly
Keep calm and canter on.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Josette wrote:Thanks SF. I like the look of the Myler with a mild curve to it. I will probably try that one first to see how he responds. I'm not sure what IIRC means?

ok- I just ordered it. I'll see how my little gorilla responds. :)

I use a Myler Level 1 on my leaner. I am going to try it on Yonka as well as he is a real rooter and head shaker. The full cheek snaffle I have him in is just not effective when he gets tossing and such.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:24 pm

I’d try the neue Schule turtle top over the verbindend. The turtle top locks when pulled. Stubben EZ control is the same idea.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 pm

I recently tried this but with a horse that really seems to have a tongue issue. It does seem to give him tongue relief.

Return to “Dressage Training”