Bringing the older horse back into work?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Blackravensrunner
Greenie

Bringing the older horse back into work?

Postby Blackravensrunner » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:22 am

Circumstances dictate that I lay off my 22 yr. old mare this winter. She has been in work all her life,& will be out 7/24 with barn access. How hard is it to bring her back this spring?

WBLover
Greenie

Re: Bringing the older horse back into work?

Postby WBLover » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:11 pm

I did that last year, not due to soundness issues, but just because of lack of time. He sat from December to March. He was 8 last year, and he came back to full condition, maybe even a little better off than where I left him, in about 60 days. The trot work was good after a few weeks, but his canter which has always been difficult really took a lot longer. Just take it slow. It's going to be good for her that she's turned out all winter. Will she have access to good footing from time to time where she can really stretch and move? Even though she'll be out, typically in the winter--depending on where you live--they really don't get to move around as well as you'd think since there's usually mud, snow and/or ice on the ground. I have an outdoor arena that had decent footing during a few periods of time in the winter that I turned them loose in to really stretch and get the bucks out!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:55 pm

I am thinking she will love the little break! Is there someone you can trust to hop on her every now and again? Muscle memory will come back for her, she may lose strength over the winter, but once she comes back into work, her muscles will remember what to do. With her being 22, you will just have to take it slow for the first little while.

Blackravensrunner
Greenie

Postby Blackravensrunner » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:44 am

Thanks for replys. Yes have dressage ring she can have a run now& then plus will rd walk her 2/3 days a week. Lucky live on a dead end dirt rd. :D

Return to “Dressage Training”